PDA

View Full Version : Hasbro CAIRO SWORDSMAN 12" Image Thread

Wor-Gar
05-05-2008, 09:09 PM
Sorry, no pics from me yet...but I've seen some posted and I'm hoping to get some here. I'm really curious about this particular figure.

Can anybody help me solve the mystery?

galactiboy
05-05-2008, 09:24 PM
Saw him in person and he actually had a really nice sculpt... I was impressed. I think with a little work you could make a sweet figure.

Sniper33
05-05-2008, 09:34 PM
some nudes so you can see the articulation and close-up of the headsculpt.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b370/sniper33/Haul/CIMG0187.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b370/sniper33/Haul/CIMG0188.jpg

kinda reminds me of a darker BK King

Wor-Gar
05-05-2008, 10:18 PM
Cool, nice pictures. Thanks!

Fortunately we never get a really good look at his face, so with a repaint, and that head wrap, he should look fine. He's got the grin going.

I want to put him on a SS body to get as much height as possible, hopefully his robe won't be too short.

But this all helps, thanks!

d_jedi1
05-05-2008, 10:20 PM
... Why couldn't they have used THAT body for the Indys and Mutt???!!!

Hopefully they will release a normal (no action feature) Indiana Jones figure.

DarkArtist81
05-05-2008, 10:24 PM
Could just buy an extra and use the body for Indy.... :D

TheObsoleteMan
05-05-2008, 10:25 PM

Yeah, I'm hoping for a gimmick free Crystal Skull Indy.

Wor-Gar
05-05-2008, 10:26 PM
Could just buy an extra and use the body for Indy.... :D

Puts ya that much closer to getting the ark too.

dwing
05-06-2008, 12:42 AM
I have two and will be making a Thirteenth warrior figure with a Banderos hs that I have and a Ardeth bay figure from the Mummy movies.

doesitmatter
05-06-2008, 10:57 AM
Looks like the Buck body.

chuck20
05-06-2008, 04:13 PM
I believe thats the SA GI Joe body. I def want this guy now. Looks worth the $20.

Wor-Gar
05-06-2008, 04:32 PM
I believe thats the SA GI Joe body. I def want this guy now. Looks worth the $20.

Yeah, for $20 you can't go wrong to have him on the shelf. Add in a paintjob for the head and sword, a new red cumberbund, a new body and you still have a reasonable figure for probably less than a Sideshow version.

chuck20
05-06-2008, 05:48 PM
oh michael's review of this guy and th german soldier are up

mwctoys.com

(i'm not trying to steal his thunder, he just hasnt posted it yet)

Bonehead15
05-06-2008, 05:55 PM
I saw this figure at TRU yesterday and I hate to admit it but it actually looked pretty good for $20.

Michael Crawford
05-06-2008, 06:05 PM
Yea, I posted about it now. I had a 1st grade recital to attend this evening :)

Rumsfield
05-06-2008, 06:46 PM
Yeah, I don't know. Cairo Swordsman doesn't actually look too bad for $20. I'm tempted now.

Wor-Gar
05-06-2008, 09:59 PM
The last picture in Michael's Review really sells the Swordsman! With some easy tweaks, even if you don't repaint, I'd say this is a very good figure for $20.

Buttmunch
05-06-2008, 10:11 PM
I picked him up yesterday. Certainly worth the $20. He is a background character afterall, and for that price, he can't be beat. Some minor customizing can certainly turn him into something display worthy with Sideshow's Indy.

Wor-Gar
05-06-2008, 10:35 PM
I picked him up yesterday. Certainly worth the $20. He is a background character afterall, and for that price, he can't be beat. Some minor customizing can certainly turn him into something display worthy with Sideshow's Indy.

Yep. For the under-a-minute screen time he has, this is an excellent figure. Even if you pose him on the ground, shot dead.

People that pass him up now will be looking for him this time next year when the Indy machine/merchadise dries up.

I wouldn't mind if SS concentrated on major characters and Hasbro filled in with lesser goons -- like Monkey Man or Arab Thugs, etc -- since it's unlikely that SS will have the time to produce a long expansive line.

dwing
05-06-2008, 11:05 PM
Yea, I posted about it now. I had a 1st grade recital to attend this evening :)

Hey, that would'nt be so bad if you had kids sick-o!

Buttmunch
05-07-2008, 09:00 PM
Yep. For the under-a-minute screen time he has, this is an excellent figure. Even if you pose him on the ground, shot dead.

People that pass him up now will be looking for him this time next year when the Indy machine/merchadise dries up.

I wouldn't mind if SS concentrated on major characters and Hasbro filled in with lesser goons -- like Monkey Man or Arab Thugs, etc -- since it's unlikely that SS will have the time to produce a long expansive line.

Plus I'm not sure many people will pay $90 for a guy with 15 seconds of screen time.

IrishJedi
05-07-2008, 09:11 PM
Plus I'm not sure many people will pay $90 for a guy with 15 seconds of screen time.

... unless it's SW, right?

Buttmunch
05-07-2008, 09:35 PM
... unless it's SW, right?

Correct. :D

Promising Galahad
05-11-2008, 11:56 AM
Picked up a Cairo Swordsman figure myself. For $20 this thing's a pretty good buy! The head sculpt looks just slightly off somehow, but it's still a damn good likeness. I especially like the fact that Hasbro didn't go for the usual generic expression. It wouldn't have worked for this figure. The Cairo Swordsman , I believe was my first Raiders figure from Kenner when I was a kid, so it's fitting to pick him up as my first 12" Indy figure from Hasbro some two decades later.

I'm a bit surprised they went with the SA Joe body. Aside from the hands, and big feet, this body is great! But I suppose I feel that way because it's near perfect for a Clayton Moore "Lone Ranger" custom, except the height needs to be addressed.

A bit of sad news, some douche stole my ark sticker from the package before I bought it. I wants me that ark!

Wor-Gar
12-08-2008, 07:12 PM
Got him today... thanks, Josh!

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j306/Wor-Gar/CairoSwordsman1.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j306/Wor-Gar/CairoSwordsman4.jpg

All in all, pretty good figure. The sculpt is way better than I'm used to with Hasbro generally. Must be the guy who did Jango Fett. A repaint will really make this figure look like he's part of the SS line.

The boots are a nice sculpt too, I just don't know if they're accurate... but who knows, so it works.

Ideally, I'd like to replace the black robe and red sash with material that isn't so shiny, but that would be a royal pain. Might just replace the sash so I can get that wide band look around the belly. I'd also like to give this guy some pants...whether he had them or not.

The turban is cool though. The whole thing just needs some water treatment, although I'm not sure it will take as the material is much like SS Leia's dress.

One thing's for sure -- he needs a bigger body! This guy is tiny, barely 11inches tall. Simple lifts ain't enough to put him with SS Indy. Got to get a WWF 12" body or something, or a Buck body and bulk it up and then use lifts in the boots.

But again, for the price, a worthy addition to the finally growing line of Indy villains.

If only I could get Monkey Man... I was really counting on Hasbro for that one.

Cowboy
12-08-2008, 09:43 PM
I put mine on a TT body still a little short. But the head looks like a bb.

thenammagazine
12-08-2008, 11:37 PM

Actually, I just swapped the whip-action Indy's head with one of the meatier Hasbro G.I. Joe figures I had and popped on the clothes of the yapping Indy and it's a night and day difference...the Indy Hasbro SHOULD have released! :lol

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h17/theNAMmagazine/Indy.jpg

Wor-Gar
12-09-2008, 12:37 AM
I put mine on a TT body still a little short. But the head looks like a bb.

Yeah, the head is definitely small... but with the turban and wrap it helps hide the actual cranial size.

CAZAFANTASMA
12-09-2008, 10:59 AM
You think itīs small??? Naaaaaaah

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/3618/p1000107ac2.th.jpg (http://img403.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1000107ac2.jpg)

Billy Ray
12-09-2008, 11:35 AM
I picked this guy up a couple of weeks ago, when TRU had their 12" Hasbro Indy figures on sale for $9.99. Even at that price, he was still the only one that I could bring myself to actually buy. Gotta agree, he is pretty darn nice, though I too am looking at replacing his body and maybe doing a repaint. He doesn't really look imposing enough to fit well with SS Indy:

http://threads.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/1916/medium/IMG_09382.JPG

http://threads.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/1916/medium/IMG_09421.JPG

http://threads.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/1916/medium/IMG_09511.JPG

http://threads.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/1916/medium/IMG_09521.JPG

http://threads.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/1916/medium/IMG_09531.JPG

The Josh
12-09-2008, 11:54 AM
Glad he arrived alright WG!

FlyAndFight
12-09-2008, 03:01 PM
This figure actually looks pretty good. I think a body swap with a tall Buck (like the one found on SS's "Smuggler Han") may be in order. Pad his belly up some and kill the sheen on the headsculpt and he's good to go.

Wor-Gar
12-09-2008, 03:21 PM
This figure actually looks pretty good. I think a body swap with a tall Buck (like the one found on SS's "Smuggler Han") may be in order. Pad his belly up some and kill the sheen on the headsculpt and he's good to go.

Yep, pretty much...

Although, as I investigate this, it's a bit more work. Obviously, with the added inch or two in height, you then have a "short skirt" issue. So now I have to make a black underskirt to compensate for the difference.

The only other problem, as someone mentioned, is that the sculpt itself may look small once placed on a larger, meatier body...as the sculpt looks smallish now on an 11" body. Filling the turbin out will be necessary to make the face appear larger.

But still, for the money, you get a sculpt, the basic outfit, the boots, and the scimitar as a base starting point which isn't bad. With a new sash, a repainted face and scimitar, a bigger body... he'll look solid on the shelf for a character with little more than 15 seconds of screen time.

All that, plus... this is gonna be the only 1/6th Cairo Swordsman ever made. And that's probably the best reason to pick him up.

Skiman
09-28-2010, 07:59 AM
Anyone have some extra snakes that came with the Cairo Swordsman figure? Willing to pay for some Cobra snakes!!!!

ProgMatinee
09-28-2010, 08:10 AM
i can send you what i got, but have to find it first. pm me your addy.

remember when we were kids how easy it was to find plastic snakes and spiders and stuff at every toy or grocery store?

Skiman
09-28-2010, 08:11 AM
i can send you what i got, but have to find it first. pm me your addy.

remember when we were kids how easy it was to find plastic snakes and spiders and stuff at every toy or grocery store?

Yea, no ____ and now that I need something like that I'm swimming in the deep end looking for stuff :rotfl

FLOSI
09-28-2010, 08:39 AM
Ski, I just picked one up on the bay really cheap. As soon as I get him I'll send you the snakes (assuming he comes with them since I bought this loose).

Skiman
09-28-2010, 08:39 AM
Ski, I just picked one up on the bay really cheap. As soon as I get him I'll send you the snakes (assuming he comes with them since I bought this loose).

You guys are saving my life :rock :bow

FLOSI
09-28-2010, 08:40 AM
That sword looks decent... Might just need a repaint.

MANDO
09-28-2010, 08:51 AM
Party City carries lots of little plastic animals for like a quarter each.

That sword looks decent... Might just need a repaint.

Agreed. I was thinking it was much smaller.

Les Walker
09-28-2010, 09:14 PM
I have this guy! The Hasbro Swordsman. I guess I need to find him, dig him out, and begin reworking him some when I can. Good luck to anyone working on one. Hope I can find mine.
I'll be watching this thread with great interest!

hemble
09-29-2010, 02:12 AM
Hi All

I did this figure up a littlle while ago and put the head on a Dragon body and it turned out pretty good, it is a little smaller then 1/6 but still looks great next to Indy.

Les I can't wait to see what you do with yours.

Ron

Wor-Gar
09-29-2010, 08:05 AM
THAT's how he should look! Excellent!

Love the sword detail.

MANDO
09-29-2010, 08:33 AM
Good stuff, Hemble! Is the sword handle huge or is it my imagination?

FLOSI
09-29-2010, 09:51 AM
I was thinking the same thing. The handle looks massive! I wonder if there's any pics of it in this old Indy/Sw prop book I have? I'll check tonight.

BTW Ron, yours looks great! As always. :D

Wor-Gar
09-29-2010, 09:57 AM
I was thinking the same thing. The handle looks massive! I wonder if there's any pics of it in this old Indy/Sw prop book I have? I'll check tonight.

Sword looks pretty big in the movie too...

http://media.filmschoolrejects.com/images/raiders_sword.jpg

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080511233415/indianajones/images/thumb/1/1d/HehHehHeh.jpg/250px-HehHehHeh.jpghttp://farm4.static.flickr.com/3422/3827223516_971b72b5e1.jpg

Wasn't that the gag -- big guy, big sword; take him out with one shot.

FLOSI
09-29-2010, 10:04 AM
Well, it was supposed to be a big whip v sword scene.... Judging by that last pic the handle isn't as wide as the base of the blade, so maybe some doctoring will help the Hasbro version... I have a tall buck laying around that I might use for this, assuming the head doesn't look goofy on it.

Wor-Gar
09-29-2010, 10:11 AM
I think that might be a little of the blur effect of the moving blade in that shot... but yes, the Hasbro is a bit oversized... but not too bad really. Within reason. A larger body with larger hands would certainly help.

I wouldn't want to use a Comedian or Whiplash or T-800 body for this guy (too pricey) but that would really add the size you need. Of course, the sculpt being on the small side already causes problems. Fortunately the turban can help hide that to some degree.

A tall buck would be fine for this height-wise. I have some old 21st Century bodies that might even work with a bit of the knee extension.

I'm not too concerned about what's unseen on this guy. Just want to get the height right, the tunic length right, replace the sash and repaint that sword. This bash is even simpler than Sallah if you're OK with the Hasbro parts. It's basically a body swap.

thenammagazine
09-29-2010, 10:17 AM
No guys. Make no mistake about it gents, that handle is about as thick as the Dragon forearm. :lol That said, Hemble made it look awesome.

FLOSI
09-29-2010, 10:20 AM
I think that might be a little of the blur effect of the moving blade in that shot... but yes, the Hasbro is a bit oversized... but not too bad really. Within reason. A larger body with larger hands would certainly help.

I wouldn't want to use a Comedian or Whiplash or T-800 body for this guy (too pricey) but that would really add the size you need. Of course, the sculpt being on the small side already causes problems. Fortunately the turban can help hide that to some degree.

A tall buck would be fine for this height-wise. I have some old 21st Century bodies that might even work with a bit of the knee extension.

I'm not too concerned about what's unseen on this guy. Just want to get the height right, the tunic length right, replace the sash and repaint that sword. This bash is even simpler than Sallah if you're OK with the Hasbro parts. It's basically a body swap.

Yep, with a bit of a repaint he could look pretty good, as Ron's shows.

FLOSI
09-29-2010, 10:22 AM
http://www.theraider.net/films/raiders/gallery/dvdscreenshots/180.jpg

hemble
09-29-2010, 11:58 PM
Hi All

Thanks for the kind words guys and it is actually amazing how good teh sculpt is under all that factory paint, even thou it is a little small it still is a great HS. As for the sword it is a little wide at the base but nothing that is tto worrying.

Ron

FLOSI
09-30-2010, 08:51 AM
Ron, Just got mine yesterday... Is it possible to strip the paint on one of these soft rubber heads or should I just try to paint over the factory job?

hemble
09-30-2010, 01:20 PM
Hi All

FLOSI - Yeah mate I just used a little acetone/nail polish on mine using a cotton bud. I swapped around the HS with the cotton bud and left it for about 5 minutes and then wiped the acetone/nail polish away with a tissue.

Ron

FLOSI
09-30-2010, 02:58 PM
Thank you sir! :bow

hemble
09-30-2010, 11:32 PM
No worries at all buddy and look forward to seeing what you do with yours.

Ron

inky_skin
10-06-2010, 03:20 AM
Ron,

Nice to see your work here. Do you have any tips for reducing the "bulkiness" of Hasbro's robes - either by tailoring or treating the fabric ?

hemble
10-06-2010, 04:22 AM
Hi All

inky_skin wrote

Ron,

Nice to see your work here. Do you have any tips for reducing the "bulkiness" of Hasbro's robes - either by tailoring or treating the fabric ?

Hi Mate to help with the bulkiness I did 4 things to it.

1: I used a Dragon body which is a little larger then most bodies now a days so that helped with the looseness.

2: I gave it a wash in fabric softner to soften it more.

3: I then put it on the body and used watered down PVA/WOODGLUE to make it sit better.

4: Once the glue dried I painted it with GW Chaos Black, as it's more for viewing then playing, as painting it helps the creases sit better once it dries.

hope this helps mate.

Ron