The Future Of Star Wars Article

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting article. His main point that someone other than Lucas will someday make decisions about Star Wars is true, obviously.

However, anyone who claims that The Phantom Menace was the worst film they ever saw, as opposed to something reasonable like "the most disappointing" film they ever saw, either has only seen a handful of films or is not to be taken seriously.

I have to agreed that someday, someone will take over the entire SW line. I hope its within my life time!

I don't think I want anymore movies. The story of Vader has been told and maybe the ONLY thing that would be interesting is a continuation of Luke's life but that has been told in many many many books.

What we'd most likely be seeing in more movies are those books. Maybe the comics as well.

Even if he took Star Wars with him to the grave, it would be in the public domain eventually. I don't know what it would be worth at that point though. Probably a lot of schlock with an occaissional gem scattered throughout. I don't really have much faith in the people chomping at the bit to remake the prequels. They usually just come across as ^^^^^y narcissistic fanboys.

I predict disaster. George Lucas couldn't even compete with George Lucas in his prime and I am always highly skeptical when someone takes a classic and 'improves' it because I have yet to see it work.

I don't think that George Lucas is on his deathbed in the way that this article assumes. He certainly won't be dead and buried with Peter Jackson directing a Star Wars film any time soon.

If we do get another film, it will be a long time from now and probably directed by somebody who is currently in grade school.

I agree with the article's premise, but these kind of people who feel so strongly against the PT, and have this wish for more SW films to "fix the mess", can't be by all accounts, normal.

The PT was never going to have the same impact as the OT, duhh. But they were very successful, and the merchandising hasn't slowed down. There are so many great movies that haven't been written yet, but they don't have to be SW-related.

If I were GL's kids I'd be finding every way I could to get involved in the company so that I could take it over someday. They may be too young to think about that now, but in 20 years someone will take over the property, whether it's family or Fox. If it's a studio, then there will be more films, tv, whatever.

The Bond franchise has been passed down this way - it's not just UA then MGM now Sony that controls the franchise but EON (basically the Broccoli family) and they've kept it alive for over 40 years with no end in sight.

If a studio takes it over, it could be like Batman/Superman movies - they struggle for 10 years to make a fitting sequel and then screw it up and spend another 10 years trying again. Or there's a 20 year break before reinventing the world again.

Maybe there will be more Star Wars movies in the future, under the direction of people other than Lucas, but if there's ever going to be a remaking/retelling of the prequels it probably wouldn't be in our lifetime, so why even bring that up. Who cares?

I don't hate the prequels but there's plenty of things I didn't like about them. But it's George's creation and it was his story to tell. It is what it is. Some people just need to accept that and move on.

If I were GL's kids I'd be finding every way I could to get involved in the company so that I could take it over someday. They may be too young to think about that now, but in 20 years someone will take over the property, whether it's family or Fox. If it's a studio, then there will be more films, tv, whatever.

That would be the smartest thing he could do. Tell them everything and let them take over the keys and keep it "in house."

I share the same thoughts about the prequels does but any further movies probably wouldn't fix anything

I can see the Star Wars franchise becoming similar to Star Trek. They could make tv shows and multiple movies with the Star Wars universe as the back drop. As far as I am concerned the Skywalker story is done. I would love to see the SW universe expanded beyond the limits of familiar characters. It would be great to see the SW universe go in new directions, new characters, new time lines, new everything. Just like the Star Trek franchise has done.

If I was Lucas...I would give it to my children. Keep it in the family and the Lucas clan will be set FOR GENERATIONS. $$$$$$$$$$$$$ dolla bills y'all! $$$$$$$$$$$$$

From the fanbase aspect, I'd say give it to someone who would continue his creative legacy. And perhaps stop f'n around with all these books, comics, toys, etc. to hold fans over.....MAKE SOME MORE DAMN MOVIES WITH SOME DAMN TALENT BEHIND THEM.

Lucas was good at creating ideas, but he needs someone to tweak, polish and refine them to make sense.

I will say it too! Lucas did ^^^^ these movies up!! Very poor execution of the characters, story,and direction.Also,these films needed to be much darker than they we're,^^^^ all that whiney kiddy bull^^^^ (and Jar Jar can go suck some gungan ass,for real) Look at all the newer marvel movies that are coming out,their all much darker than their predecessors.I think the studios are learning from their mistakes.

And Lucas should license his stuff out to other film makers,he would still make some serious money wouldn't he?? For him to release the PT films the way he did and not relenquish the rights for other film makers to make them is pretty ^^^^ing egotistical.I'm sure he knows someone else could and would do a better job than he did.

All that said I still like the movies that Lucas gave us,but man they could have been way cooler and way more awesome than what was given.

P.S. I'd be down for an R rated Jedi hack fest! :maul

Moot point. The franchise cannot continue legally without Lucas personally producing new movies/TV shows. He owns the rights hook, line and sinker. Lucasfilm is a wholly-owned company with no other stakeholders. Not even his children. And if anyone is to produce a new SW movie or show, it has to be him.

Now, he might change that someday. But the truth is, if Lucas dropped dead tomorrow... or was hit by a bus... other than stuff already in production, STAR WARS would be done (aside from merchandising).

He does have contingencies for Lucasfilm to continue on in business after he's gone, but mostly with Licensing/Marketing and other companies like LucasArts and ILM. They wouldn't be producing any new shows, though. And if that is specified in legal documents (as I assume it is) it's iron-clad and the only way we'd see new SW flicks after Lucas is dead is when it transfers to public domain, which would be, what, 50-100 years after his death?

They don't need to remake the prequels...

They can just add more stuff...

And I agree, that if further movies are to be made, make an adaptation of the books...

The Zahn trilogy...:drool

Back