Any PS2 LOTR Games soon?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

big al

Hi all,
I was wondering if theres any plans for a new LOTR game for the PS2? I have played ROTK And TT and they are great but wondered if theres any new ones coming up?
I have a tradition with myself of playing a new game on x mas morning, was gonna wait and get san andreas, but cant hold out that long so ordered it!
But now i need a new game for x-mas and hope that a lotr one is somewhere abouts!
:b

LOTR: The Third Age is supposed to come out soon. Not sure when though. It's an RPG, and from Electronic Arts. You can check it out there.

re

LOTR: The Third Age is a RPG where you are a random Gondorian soldier, or human warrior etc etc and you get to go to all the places the Fellowship went, and even meet them and I think become them. You can be in Moria and see in the background Gandy fighting the Balrog, and go up and help him.

LOTR: The Battle For Middle Earth is also looking good but not for the PS2, just for the PC, this is a war game like...hmm examples...Red Alert? You take control of the armies or Mordor or the good guys.

Both are out before xmas!

Re: re

The LOTR Third Age is supposed to come out next week here in the US. I got it coming looks like it will be a really awesome game can't wait to play it.

"Is the third age ps2?"

Yes. It will be out for all 3 of the consoles.

I was reading an interesting article about the game and it's involvement with the movies in Nintendo Power magazine yesterday. You will run into just about every important race of Middle Earth in the game that you can get in your party. Fom elves to Rohirrim. The game "parallels" the events of the story. You will "cross paths" with the Fellowship at various places. One of these places is in Moria. As you're standing there, a suit of armor falls through a hole in the ceiling and you hear Gandalf say "Fool of a Took!" It's the skeleton and armor that Pippin knocked down the well. Just an example of the kinds of things you will see in the game.

Any news on The Third Age?

Any news on The Third Age?

Haven't been keeping up with games lately, but saw this one today at a pretty cheap price.

So... what's the verdic? Is the game any good - compared to ROTK & TTT on PS2? Or, is The Battle for Middle Earth the way to go?

Re: Any news on The Third Age?

Third Age has been out for a while. I've had my copy a long time and beat it. Its awesome IMO I'd get it and if you don't have TTT and ROTK I'd get those as well.

re

i didnt get it in the end,
was gonna get the 3rd age, but got BFME instead, may get it soon now that the $ has dropped on it.
Two towers and ROTK on the PS2 are great though, really good games, and cheap now too!
:p

Oh yeah... played TTT and ROTK when they first came out - was cool way to see the extra footage before the movie... very smart marketing - kept me hooked.

Also, great seeing the early version of MoS ;)

Yup, the price has droped, that's what got my interest - it's like 1/2 price... so I guess its only 'cause its been out for a while. Haven't been following games for last 6 months or so.

Thanks for the comments. :elf

Yeah, get it if your interested its pretty cool. I like the concept of following the Fellowship. I hope the next game is you play as the Fellowship if there is a next game.

Okay folks! I'm officially the board video game junkie. So, if anyone ever has any questions about games, feel free to ask.:hat

Now, on to The Third Age. Excellent game in it's own right. Very much like FFX in terms of the battle system. So, if you like that sort of RPG, then this'll work for ya. Visuals are gorgeous. Some of the best I've seen as far as particle effects (spell animations, the Balrog's flames, etc.) Sound, same as the visuals, is well done.

Now, my biggest gripe with the game is the lack of decent plot and character development. I'm a huge fan of the previous two LotR games that EA did. They both did a tremendous job of making me feel like I was in Middle Earth. The Third Age does this just as remarkably. But unfortunately, the lack of a strong story for the new "fellowship" really hurt the experience. Overall, it's a minor gripe. One that can certainly be made up for by the fact that you fight the Balrog, the Morgul Lord, etc... And what's better, is that yopu can actually play as them! Definitely the best part of the game, IMHO.....

Worth spending the $25 buck or so you can get it for used. :ar

Now, here's the bad news..... As of the Third Age and Battle for Middle Earth, the contract EA for the LotR games was officially over. :( And there hasn't been any new announcements for further installments. Though I wouldn't be surprised if this changes in the near future. If anything, we might hear something on it as soon as this years E3 expo. I'll keep you posted if I hear anything.

Thanks Mannie :bow :bow :bow

Great review and I'll be buying this, this weekend... Give me something to do over the 4 day Easter break if the weather's no good for gardening. :p

I read about playing as the Balrog, and I almost bought it there and then, simply for this feature. But I thought I should seek advice from experts, as what you read on the cover doesn't always stack up in reality.

Thanks again... and BTW, is it a bit odd that there are Gondorian soldiers in Moria when the 9 walkers are going through? :lol I'll try and suppress this continuity issue and enjoy the game for the effects. :ted

Yeah, playing as the Balrog is sweet.

I hope they can do something to get another LOTR game out where you can play as the Fellowship from the start of the journey to the end.

re

hey Gozum,
You want continuity, check out BFME, i just got boromir defending Helms deep!!!
Hey Mannie, cheers for the review, im a reviewer as well on an online website, gets me some nice freebie games! :naughty ;)
Just got mercenaries, but havent had a chance to play it yet!
:p

Third Age sucks big time. Take two steps, ooh let's have a fight out of nowhere. Right, that's done, la la la two more steps, BOOM oh look, ANOTHER fight. Let me actually PLAY the game and explore Middle-Earth for crying out loud!!! I read somewhere they were plannng a sequel. PLEASE GOD NO. Because I'll just have to buy it. Because it's a LOTR computer game, and I'll be naive enough to actually believe it'll be better than Third Age. I got that game before xmas and because of a total lack of interest haven't even got past Helms Deep yet. Nice graphics, shame you can't explore it without playing 100 fights in 5 minutes. Plus I'd like a go in the fights without the bad guys having ten in a row. What kind of fighting is that anyway?? And yes, you play as the bad side, but only in the fights you played against them in the good game, there's no real story or continuity for the baddies. The game sucks.

BFME is the best game ever. Plus you get to play as the Balrog in THAT too. :D

Back