PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again .... the grand theft auto complaints !

uscmhicks
04-30-2008, 08:29 PM
Just found this whilst checking my mail , I'm sure theres gonna be tons of complaints about this game no matter how awesome it is. :monkey2:lol
http://www.mail.com/Article.aspx?articlepath=APNews/General%20Entertainment/20080501/Games_GTA_IV_MADD_20080501.xml&cat=entertainment&subcat=&pageid=1

Kabukiman
04-30-2008, 08:40 PM
Expect lots more organizations to ride the coat tails of GTA in many more counter-productive attempts to grab easy headlines rather than actually doing something relevant to fulfilling their organization's mission.

SwedishHeat
04-30-2008, 09:13 PM
Really?? You guys don't really think MADD is in the wrong on this do you?? They are promoting a very worthy cause.

I understand Rockstar's desire to build a living, breathing world, and the "TOTAL" experience of NYC, but drunk driving is really pushing the limits. People at least need to be aware that drunk driving is a part of this game. There are far too many parents that are unaware of everything that goes on in the GTA universe.

Stopping distribution of the game is a knee-jerk reaction, but Rockstar saying GTA's "mature audience" is smart enough to know the difference is a huge falsehood. The amount of "kids" playing this game cannot be left out of the equation.

El Roranous
04-30-2008, 09:16 PM
Censorship is evil.

Kids are retarded if they can't differentiate between reality and a video game.

DarkArtist81
04-30-2008, 09:19 PM
But it's the PARENTS of said kids that should not be buying a game called GRAND THEFT AUTO for their kids in the first place. Not the developers.

That's like asking me to not paint nipples on a naked figure because a child MAY see it and take offense. It's silly.

In the game, drunk driving is even frowned upon. If you go on a date and drive home drunk, you will hit all kinds of stuff and may even get arrested. And it affects the relationships with the characters that are along for the ride. Niko is actually encouraged to call a cab or his cousin for a ride home.

I love how drunk driving is the issue and NOT the killing and craziness. :lol

Jen
04-30-2008, 09:23 PM
But it's the PARENTS of said kids that should not be buying a game called GRAND THEFT AUTO for their kids in the first place. Not the developers.

That's like asking me to not paint nipples on a naked figure because a child MAY see it and take offense. It's silly.

In the game, drunk driving is even frowned upon. If you go on a date and drive home drunk, you will hit all kinds of stuff and may even get arrested. And it affects the relationships with the characters that are along for the ride. Niko is actually encouraged to call a cab or his cousin for a ride home.

:lecture :lecture :lecture Couldn't have said it better myself.

DarkArtist81
04-30-2008, 09:26 PM
:lecture :lecture :lecture Couldn't have said it better myself.

:rock:rock:rock:rock:rock:rock

Batty
04-30-2008, 09:26 PM

Right. If only parents (noun) would parent (verb) their children.

OSCORP
04-30-2008, 09:30 PM
There are far too many parents that are unaware of everything that goes on in the GTA universe.

Parents should not be buying kids this game.

:rolleyes:

Jen
04-30-2008, 09:37 PM

I agree...I mean hell...it's rated M for a reason. If parents don't want to take the time to find out what their kids are playing or what they are buying for their kids then that is the problem....not the game. Everyone just likes to point fingers and not take responsibility for their actions (or in some cases lack of action). I'm a f'n adult...I rarely drink and definitely don't drink and drive....but if I'm playing a GAME well...I want to do ^^^^ed up ^^^^.....that's why it's fun...I get to do things I would never do in reality.....no one has any right to tell me what is okay to play or not play. If you are worried about the effects on kids...well then get involved in your kid's life and be a parent rather than a "friend".

Mudshark
04-30-2008, 09:41 PM
Kids who aren't "mature" enough to play the game without suffering some kind of sociopathic behavioral disorder have no business playing it in the first place. I believe these games were designed for people who already know the difference between right and wrong.

Shai
04-30-2008, 09:55 PM
Nothing wrong in beating a virtual hoe......:lol:duh

hairlesswookiee
04-30-2008, 10:43 PM
wow... they have hit an all time low. it seems that GTA is destined to be attacked from all angles. sorry, but i hate how everyone jumps on the video games for influencing their children. they need to step back and look at they can improve their parenting skills instead of spending time looking for other excuses. if they aren't smart enough to teach the kids the difference between real life and video games than thats their fault.
the game is rated M if they bought it for them they are the ones at fault.

Starkiller
04-30-2008, 10:56 PM
This is a GAME, people are stupid.

Cracking down on this, when bazillions of people actually do drink and drive in real life. Please focus on them and stop wasting you time MADD.

The Chaver
04-30-2008, 10:56 PM
I have been playing it all day and it's really not that hardcore.I even gave my 7 year old a test drive for an hour or so.All he was doing was shooting people and driving the cars around.I ofcourse didn't tell him about the sexual aspects of the game.I figure as long as he doesn't know then it would be real hard for him to figure to out to wait until night fall,pick up a whore,take her to the back alley and offer some cash for sex.The swaring is nothing he hasn't heard from me or Tv before either.I just make sure I'm there with him when he's playing just incase there's a surprize

These people need to find something better to do.

Darklord Dave
04-30-2008, 11:02 PM
So it's about shooting, running people down, stealing and abusing women but it's the drunk driving that's the problem?

I haven't played the game but I get the idea that it's all about releasing aggression in as antisocial a manner as possible - better in a game than in real life.

But it's not for kids - the ratings system works - just like it was Great Grandpa's job to keep Grandpa from knifing the neighbors, it's a parents job to know what kind of media their children are consuming.

Starkiller
04-30-2008, 11:07 PM
Exactly, this is a game to help me get away for awhile. It's like watching a movie, riding a bike, reading a book...it let's us escape reality for awhile and enjoy ourselves. Video games violent or not are no different.

I do all this nasty stuff in GTAIV because it's fun, but am I going to go hi-jack a car, shoot pedestrians, and drink and drive, no. Because I'm an adult and I'm not stupid.

King Darkness
04-30-2008, 11:09 PM

:lecture :lecture :lecture

creature4000
05-01-2008, 05:13 AM

Exactly! They're the same Parents that complain that the Teachers are not controlling their Kids. "It's the Teachers fault my kid can't learn and have disaplinary problems" :banghead

who gives a ^^^^ & far too sensible a conversation for the video game section...move to sandbox please :lol

Shropt
05-01-2008, 05:23 AM
I love how people are already complaining about this game. :D

Any parent who can watch their kid play this game is seriously messed up in the head. The very first scene is a guy getting whipped by a dominatrix for freaks sake.

Heck, GTA:San Andreas had the first spoken word as the f-word.

Parents can be so stupid.

McHavyck
05-01-2008, 05:27 AM
give it two days before Leiberman jumps on the band-wagon.
and exactly...kids should not be playing or watching this game be played.

Reinhardt
05-01-2008, 05:27 AM

exactly!!!!

Reinhardt
05-01-2008, 05:29 AM
I have been playing it all day and it's really not that hardcore.I even gave my 7 year old a test drive for an hour or so.All he was doing was shooting people and driving the cars around.I ofcourse didn't tell him about the sexual aspects of the game.

is the shooting part ok, but the sex is not?

Shropt
05-01-2008, 05:30 AM

Yes, in America its ok to shoot someone as long as you aren't naked doing it.

Its the opposite everywhere else in the world.

it's all publicity & good for all

GTA gets all the good 'bad' publicity & generates more sales

and the criticizing party/charity etc use GTA to get publicity for their cause as their donation based and probably get more donations

so who's the worst.....the bad influence or the people who use the bad influence to generate funds?

Reinhardt
05-01-2008, 05:47 AM
Yes, in America its ok to shoot someone as long as you aren't naked doing it.

Its the opposite everywhere else in the world.

it's just so funny how sex is considered BAD, but violence is ok.

lcummins
05-01-2008, 05:48 AM
NPR reported about a study of children who played violent video games and first person shooters... the kids displayed no more anti-social or violent behavior after playing the games than they did before and took nothing from the games into their real lives. They understood it was just a game and that the kind of behavior that is ok in the games is not ok in real life. So why do these organizations still continue to claim that these games affect children and cause anti-social behavior???

McHavyck
05-01-2008, 05:50 AM
NPR reported about a study of children who played violent video games and first person shooters... the kids displayed no more anti-social or violent behavior after playing the games than they did before and took nothing from the games into their real lives. They understood it was just a game and that the kind of behavior that is ok in the games is not ok in real life. So why do these organizations still continue to claim that these games affect children and cause anti-social behavior???

because it's inflamatory and gets attention.

Chimera 1
05-01-2008, 06:15 AM
it's just so funny how sex is considered BAD, but violence is ok.

This world is ran by violence. Every country in the world has some sort of violent history past and present. If the kids aren't playing it on a game they are watching it in cartoons. There is no escaping it so we should just monitor our kids and make sure they understand the difference between justified homicide and criminal homicide. :D

KitFisto
05-01-2008, 06:47 AM
It's not at all a surprise that people are attacking this game. After all it's the music, movies or in this case a video game that's teaching the children of the world to do bad things. It's not that stupid parents buy it for their children. It's not the parents fault for allowing TV and video games to raise their children because it's easier. It's not that parents don't want to be parents.....lord no. It's everyone else and everything elses fault.

Reinhardt
05-01-2008, 07:09 AM
Blame Canada!!!

Mrs.Mac
05-01-2008, 07:09 AM
make sure they understand the difference between justified homicide and criminal homicide. :D

There's a difference? :D

McHavyck
05-01-2008, 07:11 AM
oh, and the first time i got drunk i decided to wait it out. after the controller finally stopped rumbling and the screen went back to normal i figured i could finally drive. not long after, i attracted the attention of the cops because i was still weaving.

ended up getting in a shootout with them and Roman got shot.

so, lesson learned. not trying to drive, even if things seem normal.

bagelsncheesey
05-01-2008, 07:11 AM
Homicide is awesome.

...in this game. :)

BadMoon
05-01-2008, 07:18 AM
I haven't played the game but I get the idea that it's all about releasing aggression in as antisocial a manner as possible - better in a game than in real life.

I wouldn't call hanging out the window of a car shooting mo fo's while Ill Jedi drives and Bagelsncheesy and DeeNice are in the car shooting at said mo fo's as well antisocial. :lecture

We even can actually talk to one another. It is amazing. :lol

Darth Madden
05-01-2008, 07:21 AM
Ok here are my observations. (maybe not specificly about this article but about all the ones that will follow as well.)

#1 You all knew this was coming so why be surprised.

#2 Its not like they want to take your copy of the game, they just don't want kinds to play it and to be honest I agree with them about that.

#3 You say the parents need to know what their kids are playing and that's 100% true but if nobody tells them what's in the game how are they supposed to know? That's what these guys are doing... informing them.

#4 People say censorship is wrong, and it is, but you cant use that to defend you opinion and then turn around and bash somebody else for doing the same thing.

#5 This argument has been going on since Doom yet I don't see any censorship. I don't see anything being "toned down" so obviously its not hurting the game industry.

BadMoon
05-01-2008, 07:23 AM
#3 You say the parents need to know what their kids are playing and that's 100% true but if nobody tells them what's in the game how are they supposed to know? That's what these guys are doing... informing them.

I agree with you on all the other points except this one. If parents are to dumb to not see the big M on the front of the box then that is on them. Also there is a great description of the game on the back of the box that tells them just what type of content is in the game. If they can't make a decision as to what is right for their child after reading those items well then they are a little ---->:duh in my book.

bagelsncheesey
05-01-2008, 07:30 AM

You're kidding me right? Like BM said, there is a huge M on the box. Also, why aren't they checking if their kids are doing their homework? Don't they ever walk in, or by, their room and see what the kid is doing?

Also, parents need to utilize the rating lock on the 360. That way, the kids couldn't play the M rated games even if they wanted to.

It all falls on the parents.

Darth Madden
05-01-2008, 07:30 AM
I don't have this game specificly but I am guessing it says...

M
Violence
Adult Themes
Sexual Situations.

I agree that you would think that would be enough to let the parents know what is going on (it would be for me) I have no problem with groups pointing out other things as well. They may take their preaching a little too far sometimes but the more info thats out there the better.

BadMoon
05-01-2008, 07:37 AM
I don't have this game specificly but I am guessing it says...

M
Violence
Adult Themes
Sexual Situations.

I agree that you would think that would be enough to let the parents know what is going on (it would be for me) I have no problem with groups pointing out other things as well. They may take their preaching a little too far sometimes but the more info thats out there the better.

I went down and got my copy. It says the following:

Blood
Intense Violence
Partial Nudity
Strong Language
Strong Sexual Content
Use of Drugs and Alcohol

I think that in itself is clear enough for a parent to make a buying decision.

kain4521
05-01-2008, 07:50 AM
You're kidding me right? Like BM said, there is a huge M on the box. Also, why aren't they checking if their kids are doing their homework? Don't they ever walk in, or by, their room and see what the kid is doing?

Also, parents need to utilize the rating lock on the 360. That way, the kids couldn't play the M rated games even if they wanted to.

It all falls on the parents.

Must be the same parents that walk by the room when their kid is calling us stupid ass mother ^^^^ers.:(

KitFisto
05-01-2008, 07:54 AM
My problem with this game is that when I try asking how to fly a helicopter peole just make joke and talk over me.:monkey2

kain4521
05-01-2008, 07:56 AM
My problem with this game is that when I try asking how to fly a helicopter peole just make joke and talk over me.:monkey2

Its because we had a hell of a time learning and laughing at each other trying to fly the copter and I am not too sure I still know how too.

Fritz
05-01-2008, 07:59 AM
In regards to sexual content in the game, this is what every child is exposed to at the checkout of any grocery store.

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/cm/cosmopolitan/images/5N/0508-cover_mv2.jpg

Darth Madden
05-01-2008, 08:10 AM
I went down and got my copy. It says the following:

Blood
Intense Violence
Partial Nudity
Strong Language
Strong Sexual Content
Use of Drugs and Alcohol

I think that in itself is clear enough for a parent to make a buying decision.

Ok, thats a little different then. That does say pretty clearly what's going on.

BadMoon
05-01-2008, 08:15 AM
In regards to sexual content in the game, this is what every child is exposed to at the checkout of any grocery store.

I would definately expose myself to her. :monkey5

DarkArtist81
05-01-2008, 08:20 AM
Yeah, people like MADD want the game rated AO, Adults Only. Doing this would cripple the sales, because many companies would not carry it. Wal-Mart, Target, damn near everywhere except independent game stores would say no. So an otherwise good game would be screwed.... all because you could drive while intoxicated. :banghead

This world is so fraking stupid it sickens me.

Interesting thing was, when I was a kid, I played LOTS of video games. And damn near all of the controversial ones. I watched the Simpsons, He-Man, GI Joe, Ninja Turtles. Played Mortal Combat. Was I violent? NO.

In fact, I was bullied the entire time, right up until High school. Now, did I resort to violence and shoot up my school or beat the holy hell out of my classmates. NO. I was very nice to them right up until I left town. And I still consider myself a very nice guy who is pretty law abiding.

That said, I had friends who were sheltered from things like that. And they were some of the most scandalous people I knew, violent and damn near insane. And all without a single game of Grand Theft Auto or Mortal Combat. Who knew? :lol

wookielovin
05-01-2008, 08:22 AM
i think parents need to relaize not all video games are for kids... People are stupied!!!!.
because ya know video games = FUNNN fuffly mario!!!.. weee!!!!...

I dont think take2 cares what people think anymore there last couple games always get HEAT!..... i think its good pubicitiy for them. haha.
Wait till the media gets to the strip club!

So bring on any groups to attack the game it will just sell more.

Darth Caedus
05-01-2008, 08:30 AM

Me LOVE some Kristen Bell...:love:date

The Chaver
05-01-2008, 08:38 AM

The sex wasn't that hardcore either.I just don't feel like explaining sex to my son at his age.But even the sex wasn't that graphic.I think my kid at least, would have a hard time figuring out what they were doing in the car without someone telling him what it was.He ofcourse has seen some mild nudity or sexual situations on regular Tv.

I don't know,I let my son watch and play some adult games and movies,but they have to be free of drugs,extreme violence and strong sexual content.Take for instance,I would never let my kid watch a movie like Wolf Creek or a porno,or movies like Bully and Requiem of a Dream.I would never let my kid play games like GTA San Andreas.If some of you think that GTA San Andreas is the same as GTA 4 I strongly disagree.The world in which San Andreas was created was far more vulgar and violent.I'd feel much better exposing my kid to funny mob violence than serious gang punk-thug violence.

I try to be a good and at the same time cool parent to my kid.I at least know that my son is smart enough to know the difference between a game,movie and real life.

we all learn the hard way...so can you :D

half the fun when we 1st played was finding out yourself

isn't there a manual? :D:p

BadMoon
05-01-2008, 09:11 AM
we all learn the hard way...so can you :D

half the fun when we 1st played was finding out yourself

isn't there a manual? :D:p

I couldn't pilot a big wheel last night let alone a choppa. :duff :lol

DarkArtist81
05-01-2008, 10:57 AM
I couldn't pilot a big wheel last night let alone a choppa. :duff :lol

Yeah, it was pretty funny... :lol

Great games last night though, everyone is really starting to get the hang of it. :rock

IrishJedi
05-01-2008, 11:06 AM
Well, I'm a member of DAMM (Drunks Against Mad Mothers), so I find these complaints offensive and insulting.

:monkey3

The Chaver
05-01-2008, 11:13 AM

Hey! That was you.:lol

bagelsncheesey
05-01-2008, 11:36 AM
Me LOVE some Kristen Bell...:love:date

Oh hell yes. :monkey5 I'm sad they canceled Veronica Mars, just cause she was in it :monkey2

I can teach you how to fly one, and how to chop Ill's tail off with the helicopter blades. :wacky :lol

Blackhole
05-01-2008, 11:42 AM
The ONLY complaint about this game is the damn brakes in the cars...

Oh, and the lack of planes...

artistrex
05-01-2008, 11:50 AM
You are always going to have people protesting stuff like GTA. The unwashed masses believe that everything should be safe and that they can just run on auto pilot throughout life without anything upsetting their routine. Then something Like GTA comes along. Some parents just buy the game for their kids without vetting it first. They think "oh good this will keep my kids quiet and out of my hair for a few hours" Then they go check in on thier kids and find them getting it on in a video game then chainsawing someone's head off for cash. Just like when people let the TV babysit their kids and then get mad when something R-rated comes on and messes with their minds.

Also it's an election year, The "right wing" is looking for things to condemn and denounce. GTA fits the bill. Just like ti did when the last one came out during the last election.

Funny thing is, I read a study after GTA 3 came out, stating that some kids actually behaved better after playing the game because they can vent thier frustrations out in the game and not on real police officers and nuns.:duh

It truly comes down to the parents. Whenever I play GTA or my wife plays Resident Evil we make sure that my son is in his room and we don't expose him to it. We make that decission other parents can too.

IrishJedi
05-01-2008, 12:06 PM
The ONLY complaint about this game is the damn brakes in the cars...

Oh, and the lack of planes...

I'm not digging the hand-to-hand combat controls much, either. Extremely clunky and counter-intuitive.

Darklord Dave
05-01-2008, 12:27 PM
What's the difference between "M" and "AO" - are any games rated "AO" besides virtual reality porn?

IrishJedi
05-01-2008, 12:35 PM
What's the difference between "M" and "AO" - are any games rated "AO" besides virtual reality porn?

One big difference is that most stores won't even carry any "AO" rated games.

Gahgantu
05-01-2008, 12:36 PM
-_- screw them. the game is awesome.

Darth Madden
05-01-2008, 12:36 PM

I think you can get it for violence sometimes. Wasn't "Thrill Kill" going to be rated AO before EA pulled the plug on it?

McHavyck
05-01-2008, 01:05 PM

having a AO game is the kiss of the death for the publisher because it means it could only be sold online, which would kill sales.

and the only difference with M and AO is the gratuitous sex. Both God of War's had partial nudity but the actual act was done off camera.

oh, and i guess depending on what it is some violent acts could end up with an AO (like Manhunt 2).

Chimera 1
05-01-2008, 01:24 PM
If parents let the kids watch The Family Guy they will let them play GTA IV. After all it is only a cartoon.... right?

SOLIDSNAKE
05-01-2008, 07:15 PM
There is nothing wrong with this game.

100% amazing !

If people are offended by it DONT BUY IT.
the game has a mature rating for that reason.

I hate censorship.

Amir
05-02-2008, 01:05 AM
I love how people complain and moan about this 'game', the very word should be enough to silence all critics, it's a 'game', not real, make belief, get over it :duh

darthviper107
05-02-2008, 02:15 AM
having a AO game is the kiss of the death for the publisher because it means it could only be sold online, which would kill sales.

and the only difference with M and AO is the gratuitous sex. Both God of War's had partial nudity but the actual act was done off camera.

oh, and i guess depending on what it is some violent acts could end up with an AO (like Manhunt 2).

Also, I think the consoles are actually programmed not to be able to play AO games anyway.

It's kind of ridiculous though, R rated movies have way more graphic violence and sex than M rated games.

Shropt
05-02-2008, 04:44 AM
Also, I think the consoles are actually programmed not to be able to play AO games anyway.

It's kind of ridiculous though, R rated movies have way more graphic violence and sex than M rated games.

All 3 current systems have a feature that can prevent games of a certain rating from playing. This option is somewhere in the set up of the system and is the same thing as the V-chip on a TV.

The only problem is whether the parent is smart/educated enough to turn it on. :D

creature4000
05-02-2008, 05:14 AM
See the problem is when the parents themselves are too dumb to read about what they are buying there kids... i.e. the Parental Locking.

Stupid is as Stupid does I guess.

Fives
05-03-2008, 07:22 AM
people who sit around and complain about gta should 1. never ever play or hve anything to do with gta and 2. get life. i dont understand these people, havnt they got anything else to do?????

OSCORP
05-05-2008, 05:00 PM
This is what a stupid ^^^^^ from our local paper wrote.

Katherine Kersten (a columnist with the Minneapolis-St. Paul Star-Tribune) has joined the ranks of pseudo-media personalities complaining about the evils of Grand Theft Auto IV (http://www.startribune.com/local/18538584.html). Unlike most columnists that rage against the GTA series, however, Kersten does make a point of focusing on the thirty-some male, acknowledging that the average gamer isn't a fifteen year old reclusive hiding in the basement. But here's the twist: If you play games like Grand Theft Auto, you're a bad father, a bad person, and a bad influence.
The average 32-year-old man who plays violent video games — and spends his free hours fantasizing about murdering passersby and roughing up strippers — is likely to be someone’s husband and father. What qualities of character will his wife find when she looks to him for love, steadiness and fidelity?

And when his young son looks to Dad as a role model — well, that’s the problem, isn’t it?The article also talks about humanity's "dark side", reminding us of ancient history (Romans and all, no pun intended), Nazi Germany, the Rwanda genocide, and so on, suggesting that GTA IV "stimulates" our "dark side".
Our own age has witnessed the horrors of genocide in Nazi Germany and Rwanda. These atrocities were not perpetrated by a handful of human monsters, but by thousands of ordinary people.

Contemporary Americans are not immune from sadistic impulses. The renegade U.S. soldiers who humiliated and maltreated prisoners at Abu Ghraib were reportedly imitating the pornified culture from which they came.

Games like GTA IV stimulate and glamorize our dark impulses. They create a taste for the psychological thrill that can come from dominating and degrading others. They encourage us to strip our fellow human beings of their dignity, and view them merely as objects of violence or sexual desire.

I'm 32 as well. I guess i'm just a bad person.

Starkiller
05-05-2008, 05:48 PM
Relating the genocide in Nazi Germany to a video game...classy.

Moonloop
05-05-2008, 06:38 PM
See the problem is when the parents themselves are too dumb to read about what they are buying there kids... i.e. the Parental Locking.

When I went to pick GTA IV up at midnight. We saw a young kid....I mean I don't know how old this kid was....maybe 10-12 (did not look like a teenager at all)? But he looked very young...very, too young to play the game. Anyways he was with his dad and they were there to get GTA IV.

lerath666
05-06-2008, 12:04 AM
I'm not so sure on this one. Lets look at it like this, It's got some...shall we say.. interestng content, but lets face facts. The ratings do ****. I worked retail at gamestop for four years, and was told to "go ahead" on several sales to minors of M rated games. Kids DO buy these games. Is censorship wrong? yes, I think so, but there does need to be a line drawn somewhere. Even if it's just people's parrents, and other responsable adults actuly paying attention to what kids want to buy.
Failing that, sit with your kids while they game, bond with them, and see to it, while your at it, that they understand the difference between reality and fantasy.
Using drunk driving as an example, Yes. it may be frowned upon in the game, but you can allways not save. In highschool i knew a few people who liked to race drunk. I asked them about it one day, "it's fun" was the response. My frind got involved with it.
6 yearss ago he wrapped himself and his motorcycle around a telephone pole in a RESIDENTIAL STREET doing 120 mph. Some fun.
point is, not everyone is smart enough to know what's what. Personaly? that scares the ^^^^ out of me.

Chimera 1
05-06-2008, 10:30 AM
This is what a stupid ^^^^^ from our local paper wrote.

Katherine Kersten (a columnist with the Minneapolis-St. Paul Star-Tribune) has joined the ranks of pseudo-media personalities complaining about the evils of Grand Theft Auto IV (http://www.startribune.com/local/18538584.html). Unlike most columnists that rage against the GTA series, however, Kersten does make a point of focusing on the thirty-some male, acknowledging that the average gamer isn't a fifteen year old reclusive hiding in the basement. But here's the twist: If you play games like Grand Theft Auto, you're a bad father, a bad person, and a bad influence.
The average 32-year-old man who plays violent video games — and spends his free hours fantasizing about murdering passersby and roughing up strippers — is likely to be someone’s husband and father. What qualities of character will his wife find when she looks to him for love, steadiness and fidelity?

And when his young son looks to Dad as a role model — well, that’s the problem, isn’t it?The article also talks about humanity's "dark side", reminding us of ancient history (Romans and all, no pun intended), Nazi Germany, the Rwanda genocide, and so on, suggesting that GTA IV "stimulates" our "dark side".
Our own age has witnessed the horrors of genocide in Nazi Germany and Rwanda. These atrocities were not perpetrated by a handful of human monsters, but by thousands of ordinary people.

Contemporary Americans are not immune from sadistic impulses. The renegade U.S. soldiers who humiliated and maltreated prisoners at Abu Ghraib were reportedly imitating the pornified culture from which they came.

Games like GTA IV stimulate and glamorize our dark impulses. They create a taste for the psychological thrill that can come from dominating and degrading others. They encourage us to strip our fellow human beings of their dignity, and view them merely as objects of violence or sexual desire.

I'm 32 as well. I guess i'm just a bad person.

What about the movie industry. Has she not heard of Saw I - IV, Hostel I and II, Wrong Turn, Hills have eyes I and II. These films are even sicker than those movies in the 80's/90's everyone was watching Faces of Death. What about 3/4 of the action movies out there? Hell some of the cartoons on the Cartoon network (not including adult swim or anime). Her point is mute unless she looks at the entertainment media as a whole and even then she can't compare that to real life. You can't compare a videogame to atrocities. Real life is always scarier than fiction.

OSCORP
05-06-2008, 10:31 AM
I dunno man she sounds like a stupid ^^^^ to begin with anyways.

(probably doesn't know the first thing about the GTA universe, and this is probably the first GTA game she's looked into)
These idiots gotta have something to write about.

Darth Madden
05-07-2008, 12:51 PM
Hitler played GTA too.... dang. :)

jocco
05-07-2008, 01:49 PM
Really?? You guys don't really think MADD is in the wrong on this do you?? They are promoting a very worthy cause.

I understand Rockstar's desire to build a living, breathing world, and the "TOTAL" experience of NYC, but drunk driving is really pushing the limits. People at least need to be aware that drunk driving is a part of this game. There are far too many parents that are unaware of everything that goes on in the GTA universe.

Stopping distribution of the game is a knee-jerk reaction, but Rockstar saying GTA's "mature audience" is smart enough to know the difference is a huge falsehood. The amount of "kids" playing this game cannot be left out of the equation.

REALLY??!! A game where the object is to steal cars and shoot cops, and you think they are not wasting there time with this. It is a cartoon game. You really think someone is going to be playing this game and say "Gee, you know, when I was shooting all those cops, raping and killing all those prostitutes and running over those blind children crossing the street, DRIVING DRUNK made it that much more FUN!!! I think next time I drive, I am going to drive drunk." Give me a break. Anyway, it is a mature game, and children have no buisness playing it. It's called being a parent.

Sick Boy 82
05-07-2008, 01:55 PM
REALLY??!! A game where the object is to steal cars and shoot cops, and you think they are not wasting there time with this. It is a cartoon game. You really think someone is going to be playing this game and say "Gee, you know, when I was shooting all those cops, raping and killing all those prostitutes and running over those blind children crossing the street, DRIVING DRUNK made it that much more FUN!!! I think next time I drive, I am going to drive drunk." Give me a break. Anyway, it is a mature game, and children have no buisness playing it.

^^^^ing A!!! That's why it's rated "M" for Mature: 17 and older only. It's parents fault if they want to let their children see stuff like this.

I agree that they should not, but it's still up to the parents. I'm sorry, but I need adult entertainment. I can't play Viva Pinata! I'm 25 ^^^^ing years old!! I have different tastes then 10 year olds, sorry!

Darth Madden
05-07-2008, 07:09 PM
Anyway, it is a mature game, and children have no buisness playing it. It's called being a parent.

And you never did anything bad your parents never knew about? You can be the greatest parent in the world and you kid can still do dumb stuff.

KitFisto
05-08-2008, 04:22 AM
And you never did anything bad your parents never knew about? You can be the greatest parent in the world and you kid can still do dumb stuff.

So then nothing "bad" should exist because a poor, innocent child might come into contact with it?

Shropt
05-08-2008, 08:16 AM
I'm sorry, but I need adult entertainment. I can't play Viva Pinata! I'm 25 ^^^^ing years old!! I have different tastes then 10 year olds, sorry!

Actually Viva Pinata has sex and killing in it too. Its actually an adult game hidden behind cutesy graphics. Thats why the game bombed, it was too adult for kids and too kiddy for adults.

But that's a whole 'nother thread.

Darth Madden
05-08-2008, 08:42 AM
So then nothing "bad" should exist because a poor, innocent child might come into contact with it?

I'm not saying that. He said the parents should not allow their kids to play the game and I say that if a kind wants to play it there is nothing a good parent can do about it... they will find a way.

KitFisto
05-08-2008, 10:19 AM
I'm not saying that. He said the parents should not allow their kids to play the game and I say that if a kind wants to play it there is nothing a good parent can do about it... they will find a way.

oh ok, gotchs. Yeah, you're right. It's bound to happen, but parents still can control what goes on under their own roof and try to teach their kids what they believe is right from wrong. Many parents ignore that today.

Darth Madden
05-08-2008, 10:50 AM
oh ok, gotchs. Yeah, you're right. It's bound to happen, but parents still can control what goes on under their own roof and try to teach their kids what they believe is right from wrong. Many parents ignore that today.

Thats the key. They need to TEACH their kids about the game and why its wrong to do that stuff in real life. Just keeping them away from it won't solve anything because they will find out on their own.

You can't blame the games 100% just like you can't blame parents 100%. The best a parent can do it teach their kids how to be good people and know right from wrong but if a kind has their mind set on doing something bad they will. I have been playing videogames since I was 9 and I don't even kill the spiders in my house (I catch them and toss them out the window) so obviously the violence of games over the last 28 years had no bad effect on me... but my parents also taught me how to be a good person.

KitFisto
05-08-2008, 11:00 AM
Thats the key. They need to TEACH their kids about the game and why its wrong to do that stuff in real life. Just keeping them away from it won't solve anything because they will find out on their own.

Well, I'd teach them wrong from right, but I still would not buy a copy of GTA4 for a 12 y/o kid either.

Starkiller
05-08-2008, 06:40 PM
Nope, teen games only until they are the appropriate age. My kids going to be playing Nintendo until he's like 12. I know their content is kid safe.

hydrobud
05-08-2008, 06:46 PM
this is Bush's fault

Starkiller
05-08-2008, 06:57 PM
this is Bush's fault

LOL.:lol

Isn't it always.