When a statue breaks....

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeguiarsEM

Super Freak
Reaction score
... does it lose it's a value rapidly. For instance if it has a minor crack or something snaps off? The reason I ask is I recently broke the lightsaber of my PF Darth Vader (one of my favorite pieces) while dusting.

Last edited:
It is gonna affect it value no doubt. The seriousness of the damage and relative ease of repair are all factors as well.

A head breaking off versus a finger is gonna greatly affect the value.

... does it lose it's a value rapidly. For instance if it has a minor crack or something snaps off?

I never understood this in collecting. Why buy for value? It is already opened if you know it's broke so there goes the value right there. Honestly at the end of the day who cares? Enjoy it! :rock

It's almost impossible to gauge value objectively, when everyone has different tolerances for what is acceptable damage. As long as you document the damage honestly when selling it, you'll have no problem getting some if not most of your money back.

Scars add character.. and as BadMoon said, enjoy what you have, not what you've "lost."

I never understood this in collecting. Why buy for value? It is already opened if you know it's broke so there goes the value right there. Honestly at the end of the day who cares? Enjoy it! :rock

I agree. Buy for enjoyment, not value. If I may elaborate a bit, what I don't understand is why would anyone buy a statue in a never-opened box? How do you know it's not broken inside the box? Hec, how do you know if it's even in the box?! A while ago I got an email from a customer who wanted to know if a statue he was interested was ever opened. It was a Sideshow statue and I told him that Sideshow strongly suggests that you immediately open and inspect the statue for any damage. They give you 90 days to return it if it's damaged. He tells me since it's been opened can I give him a discount. I told him the statue was only open for inspection, nothing else. Wouldn't he want to know the condition of the statue he's about to purchase? I also asked if he had any plans of displaying the statue out of the box. Unfortunately, he never responded.

Eric

When I was a kid some punk tied my shoelaces together and I lost the ability to walk. Although it was temporary......it was a horrible experience and I was never the same again.

Sorry Dannie, I just really didnt like Mexicans back then. It will never happen again!

I don't ever plan on selling the piece, it's just that I'm a mint condition collector, I really can't stand having a statue with any type of defect. The saber broke of clean at the base and was glued back together. You can't even tell it broke unless I told you. I'm kicking myself for this, HARD.

It's almost impossible to gauge value objectively, when everyone has different tolerances for what is acceptable damage. As long as you document the damage honestly when selling it, you'll have no problem getting some if not most of your money back.

Scars add character.. and as BadMoon said, enjoy what you have, not what you've "lost."

Honestly broken bits are just a part of being a collector. No matter how careful you are sometimes things get bumped, or take a fall. Sounds like yours is a clean and pretty minor break.

And if you were to sell it, being honest about the damage, you would loose some value... but probably not more than 10-15%. I recently sold a statue with damage (was very open about it) and it sold for $135, when sealed version sold for $160 a week earlier.

Back