The Office

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

Lookin4Precious

So is anybody watching this new show based on the HILARIOUS UK show by the same name?

It is certainly worth checking out! It airs on NBC at 9:30 following the best show on TV, SCRUBS. For those who tuned in last week and are familiar with the UK edition, the show used the EXACT same script and was basically a carbon copy of the UK pilot, as sort of a starting point and an omage. The second episode was entirely original and COMPLETELY HILARIOUS. Some of the lines...

"Lincoln once said... 'If you are a racist... I will attack you with the North."

"Now Oscar, do you have something other than "Mexican" you like to go by. Maybe something less offensive?"

I'd go on, but you should just check it out for yourself. What is everyone's opinion who has been watching?

Yep, I loved Colbert in Anchorman and he's very funny here. He's more of a caricature than the Gervais character on the original, but I'm liking it even more than the Brit one.

Yeah if it keeps up the caliber of the last episode it will certainly be equal to the original!

I haven't seen the US version, but us Brits laugh at US comedy, why can't the US laugh at ours without changing it? Not a complaint, just curious :dunno

Sorry folks, I tried but this show just didn't "click" for me.

There were a couple of laugh-out-loud moments for me, but
there were also times I wanted to put my head through my TV. :bang
The 1/2 hour it was on felt like an hour to me. :thud

My favorites are Scrubs, Arrested Development, and to a much
lesser degree Committed. Committed is great when the fellow
in the wheelchair is on, but just good when he is not.

JS :wave

Same feelings here JS.

It just wasn't comedy...I watched it (Brit Version) to most of what I saw just thought... :doh

The US version should be an improvement.

The Brit version was brilliant, Ricky Gervais is great..the us version? well lets not go there. :lol
It didnt even get aired here as apparently it was so bad NBC canned it. I just dont get american humor (oh wait Curb your Enthusiasm is also cool) and hate when they try and take off the british...it just never ever ever works....EVER!

:dance

Guys, it's supposed to make you go :bang and :doh , that's what the show's about. It's supposed to make you cringe and think "Oh god why did he say that" etc, and also to make you go "God yeah, I hate it when that happens" and for you to recognise those embarrased silences they have and identify with that. It's not supposed to be a rip-roaring fest, half an hour of rolling on the floor type of show. Most people identify with it.

But I know that's not for everyone so obviously not everyone's going to like it. I'm not a fan of the show myself, no intentions of buying the dvd's at all but I did watch it and I do get it. :dunno

It's supposed to make you cringe and think "Oh god why did he say that" etc,

I wasn't cringing because I identified with the show.
Unfortunately I was cringing because I thought it was damn bad.

Wanna put my head through the TV screen bad.
Knaw my arm off to get out of the beartrap bad.
Set myself on fire and put out with a baseball bat bad.
(I exaggerate a bit, but you get the idea I think) :lol

The ONLY laugh out loud moment for me was when the
office manager was doing the indian accent to the indian
girl, and then got slapped for it.

That was it. 30 minutes that felt like 60, :bang and one single LOL.

I may try it again, but so far, so bad. :puke

JS :peace

that's interesting. I get that its not everybody's humor.. but your two favorite shows are also MY two favorite shows. Scrubs and Arrested Development. So to hear you not like the Office when I thought it was great is suprising.

To whoever mentioned the US not getting Brit humor, I don't get it either. I'm english, but have lived in the US for over a decade now. I love both British and American TV, though they are very different. The Brits are much dryer, while a lot of American shows cater to the masses (which apparantly aren't that bright). However, when the US DOES put out a GREAT show (i.e. Scrubs, Arrested Development) it usually struggles to stay afloat and is continually on the cusp of cancellation. American audiences much prefer simple sitcoms that don't challenge and don't stray too far from the norm. Unfortunate, but true. So expecting the US audience to except British humor is just asking way too much. Too bad really, shows like The Office, AB FAB and many others are some of the funniest things i've ever seen.

But in regards to America's version of the Office, I still think it is really really great!

Now for British humour (British spelling) :lol nothing for me is
better than Benny Hill. I watched this when I was young, and
I remember it to this day. Probably because of all the mostly
nude females running around. :drool :drool :drool :drool

Having said that, British humour I don't get is Monty Python.

I've just never "gotten" it like everybody else who thinks that
it is the best thing since sliced bread. Perhaps I should give
it a try again, just to see if I still feel the same way.

As far as Scrubs, I love it 100%, and also the movie Garden State
with Zach Braff. It has the same style of humor and I bought
the DVD the minute it came out, after seeing the movie in the
theater and loving it.

JS :wave

I'm a born-in-the-USA Texas girl who most certainly, absolutely, and definitely DOES get British humor and LOVES every minutes of it! My favorites are Monty Python, Fawlty Towers, Are You Being Served, Vicar of Dibley, As Time Goes By, The Office, Absolutely Fabulous, and Red Dwarf (ALL of which I have on dvd!). It's too bad that many here in the US don't "get" or appreciate the dry British sense of humor, but agree that the very same dry humor on US shows (e.g. as previously mentioned Scrubs and Arrested Development) doesn't go over very well either, which is a horrible shame.

The Brit Coupling is brilliant and frequently has me laughing out loud. The American version was almost verbatim to the UK one, but they just seemed to take out the best bits. But with The Office the characters aren't even all the same, but they're still funny. I'm not a big fan of "uncomfortable" comedy and don't really like Curb Your Enthusiasm, but both Offices are growing on me.

They air a lot of British comedy on PBS. My favorites are the ones from the seventies like Faulty Towers and Are You Being Served when they encounter Germans and start reminiscing about the Blitz... :p

I LOVE Scrubs!! Now that is a funny show. We wants more!!

JS, you probably have to be a nutter or completely out of your head and a loony to love Monty Python. Thankfully, I match the criteria! :lol It's just about having a laugh, taking the mick. But having said that I don't really get the TV series, but the movies are among the best films I've ever seen.

ARTHUR:
Old woman!
DENNIS:
Man.
ARTHUR:
Man. I'm sorry. Old man, What knight live in that castle over there?
DENNIS:
I'm thirty-seven.
ARTHUR:
What?
DENNIS:
I'm thirty-seven ... I'm not old.
ARTHUR:
Well - I can't just say: "Hey, Man!'
DENNIS:
Well you could say: "Dennis"
ARTHUR:
I didn't know you were called Dennis.
DENNIS:
You didn't bother to find out, did you?
ARTHUR:
I've said I'm sorry about the old woman, but from the behind you looked ...
DENNIS:
What I object to is that you automatically treat me like an inferior ...
ARTHUR:
Well ... I AM king.

OLD WOMAN:
Well, how did you become king, then?
ARTHUR:
The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held Excalibur aloft from the bosom of the water to signify by Divine Providence ... that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur ...

That is why I am your king!
OLD WOMAN:
Is Frank in? He'd be able to deal with this one.
DENNIS:
Look, strange women lying on their backs in ponds handing out swords ... that's no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
ARTHUR:
Be quiet!
DENNIS:
You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!
ARTHUR:
Shut up!
DENNIS:
I mean, if I went around saying I was an Emperor because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, people would put me away!
ARTHUR:
(Grabbing him by the collar)
Shut up, will you. Shut up!
DENNIS:
Ah! NOW ... we see the violence inherent in the system.
ARTHUR:
Shut up!

PEOPLE (i.e. other PEASANTS) are appearing and watching.

DENNIS:
(calling)
Come and see the violence inherent in the system.
Help, help, I'm being repressed!
ARTHUR:
(aware that people are now coming out and watching)
Bloody peasant!
(pushes DENNIS over into mud and prepares to ride off)
DENNIS:
Oh, Did you hear that! What a give-away.

Re: re

OH GOD! Thank you Jon....

I literarlly have tears rolling down my cheeks. Just reading that cracks me up likt you wouldn't believe. One of the best movies ever made. Pure comic genius!

A DUCK!

Re: re

Brit comedy TV is probably the best in the world IMO...
I am British though <Welsh>

Any of you Guys and Gals in the US watched the programme - Little Britain yet??

Its a classic.......

"Im the only gay in the village........." :lol :lol :lol :lol

WG :boing2

Back