PDA

View Full Version : The Official "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" movie thread *SPOILERS*

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

The Ringer
04-24-2008, 04:12 PM
http://edukfun.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/hobbit2.jpg

Now that it is official I figured it would be nice to have on thread dedicated to the Hobbit.For every thig dealing with The hobbit please insert here. This wait is going to be agonizing!:D

carbo-fation
04-24-2008, 04:17 PM
Nice. I am in the midst of reading The History of the Hobbit and it's a great way to get my ready for the movie.:D

pixletwin
04-24-2008, 04:18 PM
I am still waiting to hear that John Howe and Alan Lee are "in" as well. Once I hear that then I will be 100% satisfied. :tap

The Ringer
04-24-2008, 04:18 PM
http://z.about.com/d/horror/1/0/i/t/Guillermo-del-Toro_500.jpg

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2005/12/14/peter_jackson_narrowweb__300x460,0.jpg

The Ringer
04-24-2008, 04:19 PM
I am still waiting to hear that John Howe and Alan Lee are "in" as well. Once I hear that then I will be 100% satisfied. :tap

They are for sure a must!

The Ringer
04-24-2008, 05:35 PM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/images/718878.jpg

New pic on TORN!

Me Likey!

Kratos
04-24-2008, 05:51 PM
Just thought id say this is a great idea for a thread now that is official cant wait to see a final result in 2010 but for now i'll be happy once i hear John Howe, Alan Lee and Howard Shore are a big part of the Hobbit :monkey1

The Ringer
04-24-2008, 05:52 PM
Just thought id say this is a great idea for a thread now that is official cant wait to see a final result in 2010 but for now i'll be happy once i hear John Howe, Alan Lee and Howard Shore are a big part of the Hobbit :monkey1

Good news for ya bro your wish is about 1/3th granted! Shore is already in!

JohnyBoo
04-24-2008, 05:54 PM
Such great news!!!!! GDT will be great and though it is a long wait I am going to relish it all.

Wetanut
04-24-2008, 05:59 PM
JB! Ha.....good to see you out of lurking. :rock2

Kratos
04-24-2008, 06:03 PM
Good news for ya bro your wish is about 1/3th granted! Shore is already in!

Cheers mate now my day is 1/3 better :joy:joy:joy

Cant wait to here more news on the Hobbit but I would not expect pre-production to start until maybe the end of this year?

Kratos
04-24-2008, 06:05 PM
Oh yes Peter and del Toro you should get your A$$'s moving before Ian McKellen or Christopher Lee get to sick and......

Red
04-24-2008, 06:23 PM
Sounds promising and loving the LOTR films i just hope there is a great deal of PJ influence in the movies but also with something a bit different from Del Toro.:cool:

Don't want much :D but anything similar to the standard of the rings will keep us all smiling.:)

JohnyBoo
04-24-2008, 06:26 PM
JB! Ha.....good to see you out of lurking. :rock2

Thanks Weta, the good news shook me up from my slumber.

Malice
04-24-2008, 06:28 PM
i can't wait to see what del toro and jackson put together......

dregs
04-24-2008, 06:55 PM
Wow this is a great great director for this movie. Awesome choice.

Corwin
04-25-2008, 07:34 AM

I think 2011 and 2012 are the proposed release dates, I really can't see them getting the first film done for a 2010 release.

Saying that Ian Mckellen seemingly believes otherwise as his website (http://www.mckellen.com/cinema/index0.htm) has updated with a listing of him playing Gandlaf in 2010.

Another little mystery. While the original Variety article says (as have most previous reports) the 2nd film will be the events between TH and LotR Yahoo and other sources (http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5g1rghSKaT2dpNIRtXcl0FPdTGahAD908KCQO0)have updated their news items saying that info is incorrect and New Line are saying both films will be based on the Hobbit.

It could just be that until the scripts are written (who's doing them I wonder, just GDT or him and PJ/Fran/Philipa) they don't want to confirm things one way or the other.

Corwin
04-25-2008, 09:12 AM

From GDT Interview at TORn

GDT: Yes, the essential elements for keeping continuity are on track, in the last few weeks I’ve been chatting with a ton of people via email, phone, and in person from the previous films. People like Andy Serkis, Sir Ian McKellen, Howard Shore, John Howe, Gino Acevedo, Richard Taylor next week I’m meeting Alan Lee. I’m doing this to ensure that whatever we do we keep continuity with the other films, yes it’s a world that is slightly more golden at the beginning, a very innocent environment.

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2008/04/25/28747-guillermo-del-toro-chats-with-torn-about-the-hobbit-films/#more-28747

He also states that the 2nd film will be set (at least partly) between TH and FotR.

Sounds like things like the attack on Dol Guldur will be seen in full in the 2nd film with maybe just a hint to them in The Hobbit film.

GDT: You know, I traveled to New Zealand just a little while ago, and one of the main reasons for going was to sit down and talk about the second film. ‘The Hobbit’, the book, is really one self-contained film, so for the second movie we sat down and worked it out. When we did this we got really excited because this second film is not a ‘tag on’, it’s not ‘filler’, it’s an integral part of telling the story of those 50 years of history lost in the narrative. There will be certain things that we will see from the first movie but from a different point of view, but it will feel like a volume, in the 5 volumes of the entire story. It will not feel like a bridge, I’ve been hearing it called ‘a bridge film’, it’s not, it’s an integral chapter of the story, and I think we’re all on the same page.

creature4000
04-25-2008, 09:15 AM
Oh yes Peter and del Toro you should get your A$$'s moving before Ian McKellen or Christopher Lee get to sick and......

That would be the worst news in the world!!! :monkey2:monkey2:monkey2

FlyAndFight
04-25-2008, 09:16 AM
This is great news. Wonderful to once again look forward to a visit to Middle Earth!!

:rock

Kratos
04-25-2008, 03:04 PM
That would be the worst news in the world!!! :monkey2:monkey2:monkey2

I'll second that, lets just hope it does not another Oliver Reed/Heath Ledger situation during the filming of the movies

The Ringer
05-01-2008, 03:22 AM
http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=22480

:chew:chew:chew:chew:chew

The Ringer
05-11-2008, 02:26 PM
http://deltorofilms.blogspot.com/2008/05/smaug-and-his-environment.html

A cool tidbit on GDT and Smaug:D

The Ringer
05-15-2008, 04:23 AM
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/hobbit-chat-letter.jpg

http://www.wetanz.com/party/register/

I am registered and ready for the 24th!:D

creature4000
05-15-2008, 05:12 AM
smaug will be very hard to do!

The Ringer
05-15-2008, 12:49 PM
Yes, it will be very interesting to see how he turns out.

FlyAndFight
05-15-2008, 01:18 PM
smaug will be very hard to do!

Smaug > Balrog

There, I said it.

:cool:

The Ringer
05-15-2008, 01:20 PM
Smaug > Balrog

There, I said it.

:cool:

:lol:lol

I love the Balrog and he is probably one of the coolest movie creatures but Smaug plays a way bigger role in Tolkien's story and I am sure in the movie.:D

Customikey
05-15-2008, 02:58 PM

I love the Balrog and he is probably one of the coolest movie creatures but Smaug plays a way bigger role in Tolkien's story and I am sure in the movie.:D

I wonder who will do the voice. Any votes for Brian Blessed to be double-cast as Balin and Smaug?

gideon
05-15-2008, 03:20 PM
Brian Blessed would also make a great Thorin Oakenshield.
However, I do NOT want anyone to do double duty as the voice of Smaug. To this day i detest the use of Davies as the voice of Treebeard when it is obvious that it is Gimli.

The Ringer
05-15-2008, 05:29 PM
Brian Blessed would also make a great Thorin Oakenshield.
However, I do NOT want anyone to do double duty as the voice of Smaug. To this day i detest the use of Davies as the voice of Treebeard when it is obvious that it is Gimli.

I never even knew that was Davies until I saw the credits.:lol

pordey2
05-16-2008, 06:00 PM
Me neither, Ringer :lol

Kratos
05-16-2008, 06:24 PM
I never even knew that was Davies until I saw the credits.:lol

Same here :lol

I think Brian Blessed could do a good job as Thorin, but keep in mind he is 70 and Thorin will be a fighter in the film so will Brian be up to it?

Cmdr Gree
05-17-2008, 12:53 AM
I'm wondering if we'll see Hugo Weaving back again.

Actually, I'm curious as to who they'll get for king Thranduil.
Man, I can't overstate how stoked I am for these films too!!!

Customikey
05-20-2008, 09:23 PM
I think I've done a cast list for this before, but here's some ideas:

Simon Pegg as Bilbo (I love Ian, but he's a might bit old)
Derek Jacobi as Thorin
Richard Briers as Balin
Brian Blessed as Beorn
Geoffrey Rush or Ian McNiece as The Master of Laketown
Stuart Townsend as Bard (make up nicely for sacking him from LOTR)
And how about Richard Roxburgh as the voice of Smaug? He'd be amplified, of course, but that slick delivery with a touch of malice might work very well.)

Memnoch
05-20-2008, 09:37 PM
Martin Freeman for Bilbo! He'd do a fantastic job and is someone that would do quite well holding the film I think.

Kratos
05-20-2008, 10:03 PM
I think I've done a cast list for this before, but here's some ideas:

Simon Pegg as Bilbo (I love Ian, but he's a might bit old)
Derek Jacobi as Thorin
Richard Briers as Balin
Brian Blessed as Beorn
Geoffrey Rush or Ian McNiece as The Master of Laketown
Stuart Townsend as Bard (make up nicely for sacking him from LOTR)
And how about Richard Roxburgh as the voice of Smaug? He'd be amplified, of course, but that slick delivery with a touch of malice might work very well.)

Seems good except I don't know Simon would be good for Bilbo

Martin Freeman for Bilbo! He'd do a fantastic job and is someone that would do quite well holding the film I think.

I think Martin Freeman would be excellent for a younger Bilbo while Ian Holm does some narration as Old Bilbo

Memnoch
05-20-2008, 10:33 PM
I like the idea of Bilbo doing some narration. And I think Roxburg would be good for Smaug.. but I don't know what his real voice sounds like. :lol

Kratos
05-20-2008, 11:03 PM
Oh yes I like Derek Jacobi think he could do well as Thorin

Batty
05-21-2008, 08:47 AM
Some more news.

Pre-production is about to get under way on the two-part "Hobbit." Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens are expected to pen the scripts under the direction of Peter Jackson and del Toro. Preliminary contact has already been made with at least three actors whose "Lord of the Rings" characters also appear in the "Hobbit" storyline: Viggo Mortensen (Aragorn), Ian McKellen (Gandalf) and Andy Serkis (Gollum).

Here's the complete article from Variety about the other projects del Toro has planned.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117986200.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

tomandshell
05-21-2008, 09:15 AM
Martin Freeman gets my vote for Bilbo.

carbo-fation
05-21-2008, 09:21 AM
That's great news. Gandalf, Aragorn and Gollum are the main characters that have to return for these movies. Now they have to get Cate Blanchett, Hugo Weaving, Liv Tyler and Christopher Lee back. This would cover all the main characters that had a major part in the events prior to the LOTR.

The Mike
05-21-2008, 09:56 AM
I'm glad to see Viggo back I was worried that he wouldn't be involved at all with anything. Hearing that Serkis is going to be back as well is gladly received news.

FrodoEyes
05-21-2008, 03:54 PM
Simon Pegg? Brian Blessed? Martin Freeman? Why are peope obsessed with getting British comedians to play important roles? Brian Blessed is hiarious but is most known for his shouting. Simon Pegg? Can't see it. And all I can see Freeman as is the bloke from The Office and Hitch-hikers, but he's more likely to pull it off than most. I still think they can make Ian Holm look 50, Bilbo's age when The Hobbit starts. Good call on Jacobi, maybe HE could be Bilbo..?

The Josh
05-21-2008, 04:04 PM
I'm liking it. Getting all the main cogs in order it does seem and I trust them getting the right person to play Bilbo. They know exactly whats needed and this isn't their first rodeo.

Kratos
05-21-2008, 08:57 PM
Glad too see Viggo is coming back
I wonder if he will come back for both of the planned Movies? I hope so

Wetanut
05-21-2008, 09:05 PM
Whoa horsey! I didn't read into it that Viggo had accepted....just approached. We already know McKellan and Serkis is (look at their websites for confirmation), but I don't think Viggo is a sure thing at this point.

Although I'm SOOOOOO hoping.....

CAhobbit
05-21-2008, 09:12 PM
Viggo reprising his role is not confirmed yet. The article states...

Preliminarycontact has already been made with at least three actors whose "Lord of the Rings" characters also appear in the "Hobbit" storyline: Viggo Mortensen (Aragorn), Ian McKellen (Gandalf) and Andy Serkis (Gollum).

It would be oh so nice to have many of the same actors reprise their roles for "The Hobbit" and the second arc film but schedules may conflict or there just might be interest.

Oh and I would also love to see Martin Freeman as Bilbo. I think he'd be perfect!

The Ringer
05-30-2008, 08:27 PM
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2008/05/29/28906-bilbo-baggins-james-mcavoy/

hhmm.. James Mcavoy

WetaWork
06-05-2008, 10:31 AM
Will Christopher Lee / Saruman appear in Del Toro’s Hobbit?

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/news/will-saruman-appear-in-del-toros-the-hobbit.php

The Ringer
06-05-2008, 07:21 PM
That article sounds promising! Lee is a must!

Kratos
06-05-2008, 09:48 PM
I think it would be great if Christopher Lee could make a return in either The Hobbit or the unnamed sequel :D

The Ringer
06-06-2008, 04:13 AM
I think it would be great if Christopher Lee could make a return in either The Hobbit or the unnamed sequel :D

I wonder what the title may be for that sequel. Maybe LOTR before the fellowship of the ring.:lol:whip

Captain Faramir
06-08-2008, 12:56 AM
What they should do is go even further back for the second movie and make it about Sauron's defeat by the Last Alliance and the first War of the Ring--all the extended prologue scenes could be used, and it could tell the stories of Elendil and Gil-Galad while using all of that beautiful armory and design--that could give us an epic film that leads right into LOTR while still giving us Elrond and other characters. I think making the prologue into an entire movie would be a magnificent idea, and The Silmarillion has a lot of information concerning it.

Red
06-08-2008, 01:04 AM
What they should do is go even further back for the second movie and make it about Sauron's defeat by the Last Alliance and the first War of the Ring--all the extended prologue scenes could be used, and it could tell the stories of Elendil and Gil-Galad while using all of that beautiful armory and design--that could give us an epic film that leads right into LOTR while still giving us Elrond and other characters. I think making the prologue into an entire movie would be a magnificent idea, and The Silmarillion has a lot of information concerning it.

Yeah i think that would be extremely watchable to say the least.:cool:

You better make sure though that you collect your royalties on the idea before New Line make another sweep.:D

Captain Faramir
06-08-2008, 01:11 AM
:lol If only. But as long as it got made at all I'd be a happy camper. :cool:

jrjhoe
06-08-2008, 04:57 AM
That article sounds promising! Lee is a must!

Indeed. I can't imagine any other actor as Saruman after having Christopher Lee in LOTR! :saruman

Kratos
06-08-2008, 11:31 PM

To Be honest that sounds better than the idea of the 'Unnamed, Planned Hobbit Sequel' :D

Kratos
06-23-2008, 12:22 AM
Just wondering if there has been a confirmed date for The Hobbit too begin filming?

The Ringer
06-23-2008, 06:57 AM
I would say no later than 09.

Kratos
06-23-2008, 04:29 PM
I would say no later than 09.

Thats good because in the Torn Statement on the LOTR Fan Page it said you must you must be 18-30 to be an extra in The Hobbit film and I turn 18 next year so I should be able to become and extra :monkey5

Red
06-23-2008, 05:58 PM
Thats good because in the Torn Statement on the LOTR Fan Page it said you must you must be 18-30 to be an extra in The Hobbit film and I turn 18 next year so I should be able to become and extra :monkey5

Which page is that Sawyer?If thats the case then i am to old. :monkey2

I'm happy for you though thats excellent if u decide to become an orc,dwarf or even a hobbit.:D

Viggo confirms interest in returning.:cool:

http://www.theonering.net/

Lord Aykroyd
06-23-2008, 06:15 PM
To Be honest that sounds better than the idea of the 'Unnamed, Planned Hobbit Sequel' :D

You know the unnamed sequel isn't quite as unnamed as people think it is.

The time between the Hobbit and LOTR is spelled out pretty brilliantly in the appendix of book 3 and THE UNFINISHED TALES (which if you haven't read I highly recommend - there's a bunch on info in it about the search for the ring, Sauruman's role, Sauron as the necromancer, etc. etc. all of which occurs between the Hobbit and LOTR)

edit: Actually a bunch of it occurs in parallel with the Hobbit as well (for instance, we learn why Gandalf kept talking off for seemingly no reason)

The Ringer
06-23-2008, 06:43 PM

I will be 18 next year also but am not anywhere near NZ.:monkey2

Kratos
06-23-2008, 09:18 PM
Which page is that Sawyer?If thats the case then i am to old. :monkey2

I'm happy for you though thats excellent if u decide to become an orc,dwarf or even a hobbit.:D

Viggo confirms interest in returning.:cool:

http://www.theonering.net/

Here is the link that I found this info on http://www.theonering.net/torwp/hobbitfaq/

I would really love to become an Orc in The Hobbit and be a memorable one at that, like one that puts up a fight and gets killed by a hero :D
I was really gutted how I wasn't old enough too play an Uruk-Hai at Helm's Deep that would of been my dream realized :monkey2

I will be 18 next year also but am not anywhere near NZ.:monkey2

Aww that sucks dude you ship take a quick trip over here too NZ when it starts filming and hope for a spot as an Extra :monkey3

Red
06-24-2008, 01:31 AM
Thanks the 18-30 is in relation to obtaining a working holiday visa.Pretty much sounds like u need to be a NZ citizen or possess a NZ work permit.

Here's another link to details on being an extra for the Hobbitt.Tough work that being an extra.:D

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=102271;sb=post_time;so=DESC;forum_ view=forum_view_expanded;

Red
06-26-2008, 11:33 PM
For anyone interested here's an interview with GDT.;)

http://www.collider.com/entertainment/interviews/article.asp/aid/8325/tcid/1

mikram
06-28-2008, 11:37 AM
I thought Peter Jackson had Aids.But hes not dead yet so I guess he stopped eating for a while.

mikram
06-28-2008, 11:38 AM
he looks like he lost 20 yrs

The Mike
That post is gonna get some flames. :lol

OSCORP
You're a ^^^^ing idiot!

carbo-fation
7 more to go! I am rooting for you!:rock

The Ringer
06-28-2008, 11:40 AM
Quit trying to raise to post count posting BS!:cuss

Kuzeh
06-28-2008, 11:59 AM
I thought Peter Jackson had Aids.But hes not dead yet so I guess he stopped eating for a while.
:cut

Please make this stop!!

Shai
06-28-2008, 03:35 PM

You're Gone.

carbo-fation
06-28-2008, 04:23 PM
You're Gone.

:rotfl:lol:rotfl:rotfl

The Ringer
06-28-2008, 04:33 PM
You're Gone.

:fireworks:mexwave:fireworks:fest

Red
07-11-2008, 02:13 AM
As reported on Torn.

Del Toro will write the first film’s screenplay. Jackson, his filmmaking partner-wife, Fran Walsh, and their writing partner, Philippa Boyens, will work on the second. Then they plan to switch and rewrite each other.

Talk about being thorough :cool: sounds like it will all come together splendidly(did i just say that).:D

carbo-fation
07-11-2008, 03:36 AM
That's great news. Really looking forward to the scripts by everyone.

Darth Waller
07-11-2008, 04:52 AM
I'm re-reading The Hobbit right now. It really does have a different feel/tone than LOTR. It should be interesting to see how this movie develops with Del Toro at the helm since I'm a big fan of his movies.

jrjhoe
07-11-2008, 06:38 AM
I'm re-reading The Hobbit right now. It really does have a different feel/tone than LOTR. It should be interesting to see how this movie develops with Del Toro at the helm since I'm a big fan of his movies.

Yeah, I totally agree with that. The hobbit has a more fairy-like feeling, and it is very fast-telling, compared to LOTR.

Edit: Please DON'T shoot the Hobbit Narnia-like!!!

pixletwin
07-11-2008, 07:41 AM
Can you explain what "Narnia-like" means? :dunno

The Ringer
07-11-2008, 07:45 AM
Can you explain what "Narnia-like" means? :dunno

I beleive he is refering to the Disney-like kiddy touch.

Obri-An Kenobi
07-11-2008, 11:56 AM
Well, you don't have to be afraid of that with GDT at the helm. And LOTR wasn't exactly kiddie either.

Kratos
07-11-2008, 05:39 PM

Yea I hated those Children Actors in Narnia they were Awful

jrjhoe
07-11-2008, 11:51 PM

That's what I mean!

Lord Aykroyd
07-13-2008, 02:42 PM
And LOTR wasn't exactly kiddie either.

True, but LOTR wasn't a children's book: the Hobbit was.
:lecture

Red
07-13-2008, 10:10 PM
Christopher Lee offers his voice for Smaug...won't go back to New Zealand.

Lee isn’t interested in filming in New Zealand again because it is simply too far away, for too long of a time. You can hear the tiredness in his voice — and perhaps a bit of regret too.
That doesn’t mean Lee isn’t interested in being in The Hobbit at all, however! He’ll appear in the film as long as he can stay in London, and there’s a character he’s quite keen to play. Or rather, voice.

:cool: Interview check it out here.;)

http://www.rushprint.no/index_blogg.asp?p=1182

The Josh
07-13-2008, 10:35 PM
Thats not a good thing for him to not want to go. Means unless they want to come film him he won't be playing Saruman in the second film.

pordey2
07-13-2008, 11:44 PM
Maybe they can do the whole "White counsil" thing in a studio in London?

The Josh
07-13-2008, 11:50 PM
I hope. He has to be in it.

The Ringer
07-14-2008, 05:20 AM
It will truly be disapointing if Lee is not Saruman. I am pretty damn sure nobody else can pull it off as well as he did.

Adoptedscot
07-14-2008, 05:58 AM
It will truly be disapointing if Lee is not Saruman. I am pretty damn sure nobody else can pull it off as well as he did.

Absolutely :lecture :lecture
I would love to see the same Bilbo,Gandalf & Saruman, the problem is as more time passes the older they get and it puts it more in doubt. Although I like the idea that has been mentioned about the Ian Holm voice over, telling a story type of deal, with a younger looking Bilbo-he better look like him though and not some random star they just put in there, we need continuity.
Imo anyway
x :D

jrjhoe
07-14-2008, 06:40 AM

I totally agree with you. Saruman has to be played by Christopher Lee!

Darth Waller
07-14-2008, 06:57 AM
Agreed. I can't see anyone else playing Saruman. :saruman

Lembas Eater
07-14-2008, 10:08 AM
Thats pretty sad about Christopher Lee, if the second film is going to be anything like we're imagining it to be. I wonder if they'll really want to do it anyway and may be able to bluescreen him in the U.K.

He is, of course 86 years old. But I have to wonder, he still seems to feel what he considered to a slap in the face about not being in the Theatrical cut of ROTK. I wonder if he realizes that most of the book-reading LOTR fans believe "ONLY the Extended Versions" as the true films.

But I'm not sure I want to hear him double as Smaug. He would indeed be great, but we'd be hearing Saruman. And if it was altered beyond recognition, like JRD as Treebeard, I'm not sure about that either.

fool_of_a_took!
07-14-2008, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the link Redman.

I kinda agree with Lembas Eater, about Lee as the voice of Smaug. He would/could be great, but I would be thinking Saruman the whole time.

Darth Caedus
07-14-2008, 10:42 AM
Thats pretty sad about Christopher Lee, if the second film is going to be anything like we're imagining it to be. I wonder if they'll really want to do it anyway and may be able to bluescreen him in the U.K.

He is, of course 86 years old. But I have to wonder, he still seems to feel what he considered to a slap in the face about not being in the Theatrical cut of ROTK. I wonder if he realizes that most of the book-reading LOTR fans believe "ONLY the Extended Versions" as the true films.

But I'm not sure I want to hear him double as Smaug. He would indeed be great, but we'd be hearing Saruman. And if it was altered beyond recognition, like JRD as Treebeard, I'm not sure about that either.

Yea, I HATED jrd as the voice of treebeard, I don't know WHY they did that. Hearing saruman as Smaug would just be truly terrible.

It's too bad that Lee won't be able to take on Saruman. But his scenes are just for the white council, I wonder if they can't film that in london on a set....

pixletwin
07-14-2008, 11:28 AM
I don't think it would be too hard for them to Keep CL as Saruman if they really wanted to. There are ways around any issues which would creep up as result of distance.

But I don't want him as the voice of Smaug, for the reasons others have already stated.

Darth Waller
07-14-2008, 11:32 AM
It would be so easy to film his Saruman scenes in the UK and put him in later with the NZ cast. I really hope they go that route.

Darth Caedus
07-14-2008, 01:17 PM
Or they could just put his head on another actor's body.....but that's just too...tooo..Lucasish....

The Ringer
07-14-2008, 06:08 PM
Or a CL puppet with an approved portrait.:D

Red
07-14-2008, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the link Redman.

No worries FOAT.;)

I'm not to concerned at this stage as i'm sure PJ & GDT will find a way to work it out.Like most i'm not too keen on him voicing Smaug but JRD voicing Treebeard didn't worry me at all and i still don't think of Gimli when i hear him say"Now don't be hasty".:D

Ratven
07-18-2008, 12:42 PM
No worries FOAT.;)

I'm not to concerned at this stage as i'm sure PJ & GDT will find a way to work it out.Like most i'm not too keen on him voicing Smaug but JRD voicing Treebeard didn't worry me at all and i still don't think of Gimli when i hear him say"Now don't be hasty".:D

Cristopher Lee has one of the most unique voices in film, so I don't know if he can make it "non-Lee" for Smaug, or if any of us would want him to.

I don't think of Count Dooku when I hear Saruman, or vice versa. I think "Wow, Cristopher Lee is a phenomenal actor".

The Mike
08-10-2008, 12:13 AM
Guillermo Del Toro Says 'Hobbit' "Cannot Serve a Peter Jackson Film"
Posted on Saturday, August 9, 2008

A show of hands here: Who thought Hellboy II not only deserved to make more money but would make more money? With Guillermo Del Toro's blossoming reputation, his selection as the director of The Hobbit, and the groundswell of support for the original Hellboy in the years after its release, the fact that it has, through this weekend, only put about about $75 million is a bit of a surprise.

Of course, it did have The Dark Knight to contend with, but the sequel has been surpassed by Journey to the Center of the Earth and Step Brothers at the U.S. box office, which I certainly didn't see coming.
But Del Toro is ready to move on - sort of - according to a new interview with The Sunday Times. He'll spend much of the next half-decade in New Zealand, working on the prequel to the Lord of the Rings trilogy with producer Peter Jackson, which almost certainly won't have to explain its box office performance to anyone. But the inventive filmmaker admits that, because he covers a lot of the same territory in most of his films, so while he may be working from someone else's material, The Hobbit still attracts him on the same level. The Times says, "All his characters inhabit a universe that is structured but uncaring."
“That’s what I love about fairytales; they tell the truth, not organised politics, religion or economics. Those things destroy the soul," claims Del Toro. "That is the idea from Pan’s Labyrinth and it surfaces in Hellboy and, to some degree, in all my films.”
"I don’t think it’s a conscious decision," the director reasons of his recurring themes, adding, "it’s a proclivity, a compulsion.”
As for The Hobbit, Del Toro says that he can't concern himself with making a carbon copy of the massively popular film series his now-producer Jackson directed:
“I’m trying to be faithful to what I read when I was young. That’s The Hobbit I’m serving. I cannot serve a Peter Jackson film. We also hope to bridge the trilogy. We will create an expansion of what lies in the four books and in a number of appendices. I’m not going to New Zealand for two years to do one movie. I’m going there for four years.”
When asked whether he will find room for the kind of evocative symbolism he's known for in The Hobbit, he replies, “Of course I will...It’s a proclivity, a compulsion.”

The first Hobbit film is currently scheduled for a December 2011 release, with the follow-up arriving a year later.

Kratos
08-10-2008, 12:31 AM

True no one else will pull it off like Christopher
But lets be reasonable he is 86 years old, does not want to travel to NZ and live here for 4 years and there was a hint of doubt in his voice (in the interview regarding The Hobbit) that he will still be alive when the films are released. I think the fans should not be disappointed if he chooses not to partake in The Hobbit and its Sequel
That being said he should have a body double take his place in the film and then have his voice recorded in an English Studio and have his voice put into the film and have the digital effects people make the body double look like Chris in every single way
I think that would work and please his fans at the same time

oldduffer
08-10-2008, 01:26 AM
[QUOTE=The Mike;1078787]Guillermo Del Toro Says 'Hobbit' "Cannot Serve a Peter Jackson Film"
Posted on Saturday, August 9, 2008

Hope he takes a few hints though. :whip

jrjhoe
08-10-2008, 01:32 AM
True no one else will pull it off like Christopher
But lets be reasonable he is 86 years old, does not want to travel to NZ and live here for 4 years and there was a hint of doubt in his voice (in the interview regarding The Hobbit) that he will still be alive when the films are released. I think the fans should not be disappointed if he chooses not to partake in The Hobbit and its Sequel
That being said he should have a body double take his place in the film and then have his voice recorded in an English Studio and have his voice put into the film and have the digital effects people make the body double look like Chris in every single way
I think that would work and please his fans at the same time

That's true. I think Christopher's magic lies in particular in his voice. :saruman :orthanc

Kratos
08-10-2008, 01:04 PM
That's true. I think Christopher's magic lies in particular in his voice. :saruman :orthanc

Very True also the power of Saruman is in his voice
".....There is a fell voice in the Air"
"IT'S SARUMANNNNN!!!!"
:D

The Ween
08-10-2008, 02:51 PM
I'm glad to see Viggo back I was worried that he wouldn't be involved at all with anything. Hearing that Serkis is going to be back as well is gladly received news.

Being a big Viggo fan, I read alot about him. When he first heard about The Hobbit, he was in. He said he didn't want anyone else playing Aragorn. I'm so glad of that.

This movie is something to look forward too. Star Trek next May and then this possibly the next year!

The Ween
08-10-2008, 02:56 PM
Nice. I am in the midst of reading The History of the Hobbit and it's a great way to get my ready for the movie.:D

Would this be better to read BEFORE reading The Hobbit? I haven't read The Hobbit since I was very young and I want to read it again.

carbo-fation
08-10-2008, 03:25 PM
Would this be better to read BEFORE reading The Hobbit? I haven't read The Hobbit since I was very young and I want to read it again.

No, I would suggest reading The Hobbit first. The history book is kind of boring and does require you to have read The Hobbit. But if you want to get more info on The Hobbit by simpler means, I would suggest reading the The Annotated Hobbit by Douglas Anderson(http://www.amazon.com/Annotated-Hobbit-J-R-R-Tolkien/dp/0618134700/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1218406964&sr=8-1). It is a great way to learn more about the book and a lot of the background and historical facts that would otherwise go unnoticed by a casual reader.

abake
08-11-2008, 10:08 AM
A bit off topic here: who was supposed to play Aragorn before Viggo was called in? I remember seeing that his casting was pretty much a last minute sort of thing.

LOTRFan
08-11-2008, 10:13 AM
A bit off topic here: who was supposed to play Aragorn before Viggo was called in? I remember seeing that his casting was pretty much a last minute sort of thing.

Stewart Townsend, and a good choice on the replacement, eh?

:phew smilie

abake
08-11-2008, 12:03 PM
Lucky us!
Just like Biehn snagging the Hicks part...

tomandshell
08-11-2008, 12:07 PM
And Kevin Conway was the original actor cast as King Theoden. I remember being bummed when he was announced, putting an end to speculation about what bigger names might be chosen. But then it was really good news when Bernard Hill replaced him, as he was more familiar to me after Titanic.

FrodoEyes
08-11-2008, 12:28 PM
And Kevin Conway was the original actor cast as King Theoden. I remember being bummed when he was announced, putting an end to speculation about what bigger names might be chosen. But then it was really good news when Bernard Hill replaced him, as he was more familiar to me after Titanic.

But that's one of the things I loved about LOTR. It wasn't star-studded, it wasn't Hollywood. Orlando Bloom made his name doing LOTR. They chose actors who would fit the character, not the other way around. Otherwise, of course, we would have had Sean Connery as Gandalf :D

Radagaster
08-11-2008, 01:13 PM
Yeah, but recall Connery was approached to do Gandalf first, which he turned down (much to his chagrin). He tried making up for it by doing LXG, but I don't think they could even be put in the same league.

Kratos
08-11-2008, 05:24 PM
Connery as Gandalf I just can't see it happening

abake
08-12-2008, 07:50 AM
Yes, looking back, all the choices in casting seem inspired.

fool_of_a_took!
08-12-2008, 11:30 AM
Very True also the power of Saruman is in his voice
".....There is a fowl voice in the Air"
"IT'S SARUMANNNNN!!!!"

There's a FELL voice on the air!

:angelsmil

The Ween
08-12-2008, 01:26 PM
If, heaven forbid, Christopher Lee can't do the Hobbit, what about Alan Rickman? Just a thought.

Kratos
08-12-2008, 04:07 PM
Rickman???? You reckon he's not a bad actor I suppose but I don't think he'd fit the part of Saruman :confused:

Kratos
08-12-2008, 04:08 PM
There's a FELL voice on the air!

:angelsmil

Oopsies my Bad
I'm not very illiterate :banghead

The Ween
08-12-2008, 06:25 PM
Rickman???? You reckon he's not a bad actor I suppose but I don't think he'd fit the part of Saruman :confused:

Well, I'm just throwing someone out there. No one would be as good as Lee, but IF they need someone, Rickman is older, has about the same build and with makeup could possibly look somewhat the same. Lee would be hard to replace.

All the good actors that I think could replace Lee are gone. Like Peter Cushing.

Though, could they possibly go with a younger actor since this is set years earlier, or would the wizards look the same no matter what the year?

Kratos
08-12-2008, 09:37 PM
Well, I'm just throwing someone out there. No one would be as good as Lee, but IF they need someone, Rickman is older, has about the same build and with makeup could possibly look somewhat the same. Lee would be hard to replace.

All the good actors that I think could replace Lee are gone. Like Peter Cushing.

Though, could they possibly go with a younger actor since this is set years earlier, or would the wizards look the same no matter what the year?

Yea your right most decent replacements are probably gone now :monkey2
But regarding your Wizard aging question I do not think they do age I could be wrong but I just cannot imagine Saruman or Gandalf coming to Middle Earth as young looking Wizards :confused:

spaceman
08-13-2008, 11:38 PM
Yes, looking back, all the choices in casting seem inspired.

Agreed.

It would be a tradgedy to have Saruman withough C. Lee.

I highly suspect that all involved realize this as well as we do, and will take what accomodations are necessary to get him on screen.

Probably this means as has been suggested, compressing all the Saruman scenes into a short schedule, with greenscreen in London.

I hope so anyway.

oldduffer
08-14-2008, 05:08 AM
Gandalf and Saruman spent 2,000 years in middle earth, 60 years probably shouldn't make much of a dent in their appearance as to looking younger. :naughty

FrodoEyes
08-14-2008, 01:30 PM
Here's an interesting theory - Michael Gambon as Gandalf and Ian McKellen as Dumbledore.
Think about it - Gambon plays Dumbledore as an angry grumpy shouty wizard who has his soft moments.
McKellen plays a tall, thin, kindly light hearted wizard who can be frighteningly intimidating when the situation requires it.
To me those two descriptions for the two wizards should be the other way around....just something I was thinking to myself...

praxitas
08-20-2008, 08:08 AM
If its old news sorry, but I just noticed today on comcast site that PJ and Del Toro are going to be writing the hobbit themselves:

http://www.comcast.net/articles/entertainment/20080820/ENTERTAINMENT-HOBBIT-DC/

again if this is common knowledge my bad :peace

pixletwin
08-20-2008, 08:14 AM
Yup. Old news. :)

praxitas
08-20-2008, 08:20 AM
Yup. Old news. :)

:blissysmi:blissysmi:blissysmi

OSCORP
08-20-2008, 08:52 AM
On a side note i'm reading the book now for the first time since 7th grade.

abake
08-20-2008, 09:07 AM
I downloaded and watched the old '78 animated movie a couple of weeks ago. Never read the book, so I have no idea how close to it the movie is, but it was an interesting experience. I hadn't seen it in ages.
Obviously, I didn't remember just how boring it was...
The art direction was very nice, however, which can't be said about the animated LOTR film from the 70's
I've been trying to re-watch, but it's atrocious. There's some nice things about the way the story is told though, I'll get back to it tonight.

creature4000
08-20-2008, 09:09 AM
I own that cartoon on VHS! :(

The fights still pump me up!!! :rock

fool_of_a_took!
08-20-2008, 10:00 AM
:blissysmi:blissysmi:blissysmi

Nice return! :rotfl:lol

fool_of_a_took!
08-20-2008, 10:02 AM
I recently picked up the Hobbit to re-read, in anticipation of the movies. Been a long time.
After LOTR, is was a little hard to get into it, being so light hearted I guess.
I will wait though, until the release draws nigh, and the anticipation mounts!

Cocoboloboy
08-20-2008, 10:07 AM
Yeah, I reread it a couple years ago and I had forgotten how light and kidish it was compared to the trilogy too.

Malice
08-20-2008, 11:30 AM
i've never read the hobbit is it worth buying?

fool_of_a_took!
08-20-2008, 12:03 PM
i've never read the hobbit is it worth buying?

:horror

Hells yeah - you got to read it at least twice!!!

But wait til the movie gets closer.

OSCORP
08-20-2008, 12:05 PM
No! read it now like me. And let the torture ensue.

:)

Malice
08-20-2008, 12:37 PM
:horror

Hells yeah - you got to read it at least twice!!!

But wait til the movie gets closer.

cool thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Kratos
09-20-2008, 10:05 PM
No recent news for The Hobbit anyone?

-Super Hans-
09-21-2008, 01:04 AM
No recent news for The Hobbit anyone?

last i heard it was cancelled :lol:lol that was a while ago

Zoolander
09-21-2008, 08:38 AM
last i heard it was cancelled :lol:lol that was a while ago

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Wetanut
09-21-2008, 10:08 AM
I recently read somewhere (might have been a Doug Jones interview) where they talked about releases in 2012 and 2013. Was it a flub or is it true? Seems the release dates are getting further and further afield. I first read 2009 and 2010 for films 1 and 2. THen, 2010 and 2011. Now this. What's going on? Anybody know?

Ktjn
09-21-2008, 12:41 PM
I recently read somewhere (might have been a Doug Jones interview) where they talked about releases in 2012 and 2013. Was it a flub or is it true? Seems the release dates are getting further and further afield. I first read 2009 and 2010 for films 1 and 2. THen, 2010 and 2011. Now this. What's going on? Anybody know?

I think they'll rush it to 4th Q, 2010.

The Ringer
09-21-2008, 12:46 PM
Well I guess I will have something to look forward to after my undergaduate schooling.:lol

Krypto
09-21-2008, 01:41 PM
The earliest these films will be seen is 2011 or Christmas 2010 if they hurry up with the script. Likely, they'll have the script ready and pre-production will be done sometime next summer. Knowing Jackson, he'll want the films shot back to back, so that'll take up about 10-12 months just of shooting right there. Add in another year for post-production. 2011 seems like a surefire bet for a release date.

I really wish Jackson were directing, but as long as he, Boyens, and Walsh are involved, I feel comfortable with Del Toro taking over the directing duties.

Zoolander
09-21-2008, 03:32 PM
2011 I say...and imdb still says that also :D

Kratos
09-21-2008, 04:23 PM
2011 seems like a good time too release as It will not be rushed within that time period

Patton
09-22-2008, 01:37 PM
Can't wait for more LOTR i love the world when i watch the movies you get lost in them

-Super Hans-
09-26-2008, 04:22 PM
just finished reading the hobbit again for the umtinth time. still rocks but seems to get more and more childish with every read (i know it is for kids :lol). prefer the LOTR and the silmarillion, much darker :rock, i hope this wont be transferred onto the film.

Malice
09-26-2008, 04:52 PM
just finished reading the hobbit again for the umtinth time. still rocks but seems to get more and more childish with every read (i know it is for kids :lol). prefer the LOTR and the silmarillion, much darker :rock, i hope this wont be transferred onto the film.

:rolleyes::rolleyes: no dah THEY WILL ROCK it's PJ and DEL TORO! YOU JERK:monkey1:monkey1

-Super Hans-
09-26-2008, 05:13 PM
:rolleyes::rolleyes: no dah THEY WILL ROCK it's PJ and DEL TORO! YOU JERK:monkey1:monkey1

:lol:lol yes i suppose your right. pans labyrinth is on tv sunday so ill check that out its supposed to be quite scary

Zoolander
09-26-2008, 05:36 PM
:lol:lol yes i suppose your right. pans labyrinth is on tv sunday so ill check that out its supposed to be quite scary

am gonna do the same :D

Adoptedscot
09-27-2008, 04:00 AM
am gonna do the same :D
Me 3, ive not seen it either so will watch with interest as its meant to be great.
x :peace

Red
09-27-2008, 04:22 AM
Let me know what u guys think.I saw it last year and whilst good wasn't blown away like a lot of people are.I plan on watching it again as i had a lot going on at the time which just might make my opinion invalid.:D

Adoptedscot
09-27-2008, 04:28 AM
Let me know what u guys think.I saw it last year and whilst good wasn't blown away like a lot of people are.I plan on watching it again as i had a lot going on at the time which just might make my opinion invalid.:D
No worries, will do.:duff

The Ringer
09-28-2008, 01:01 PM
Guillermo:

“Well the only thing I can say is that we are now finally and officially and merrily in progression on the scripting process. We are all actively working on it and having a grand time at it. It keeps transforming and changing and it is ‘the most beautiful’ writing experience of my life, I’m enjoying it tremendously – and there’s bound to be news soon enough.”

Very Promising!

I can't wait

-Super Hans-
09-28-2008, 03:42 PM
i thought it was awesome :rock damn scary monsters though that crazy thing with the eye balls in its hand, my sister got very creeped out by that :lol . i seem to get more engrossed by films with sub-titles, i suppose u concentrate more. very clever stuff

Guillermo:

“Well the only thing I can say is that we are now finally and officially and merrily in progression on the scripting process. We are all actively working on it and having a grand time at it. It keeps transforming and changing and it is ‘the most beautiful’ writing experience of my life, I’m enjoying it tremendously – and there’s bound to be news soon enough.”

Very Promising!

I can't wait

FUN=GOOD :rock:rock cant wait

jrjhoe
09-28-2008, 09:42 PM
Guillermo:

Very Promising!

I can't wait

Bring on the news!!!

The Ringer
09-29-2008, 03:24 AM
Over on TORN they have confirmed the Shore is working on the score as of now!:banana

DinoLast
09-29-2008, 03:39 AM
Although I love the Hobbit, it was written as a childrens book. I guess the movie will try to include more adult elements ie more fighting and gore. Not that I'm complaining.

GrueSam
09-29-2008, 07:16 AM
Did you guys get to watch Pan's?

I LOVE the movie... What did you think???

The Ringer
09-29-2008, 04:38 PM
I did enjoy PL when I watched it. It was very different from what I am used to watching but it is so visually rich, which I am expecting from him for the Hobbit.

-Super Hans-
09-29-2008, 04:42 PM
http://cache.thephoenix.com/i/OldBlogs/OutsideTheFrame/panimage~15.jpg

spooky vision :lol this thing was seriously creepy.

Adoptedscot
09-30-2008, 12:41 AM
http://cache.thephoenix.com/i/OldBlogs/OutsideTheFrame/panimage~15.jpg

spooky vision :lol this thing was seriously creepy.
I always wondered where that guy came from.
I meant to watch it but fell asleep, so didnt, ah well. :lol

The Ringer
09-30-2008, 04:12 AM
I think one of GDT's other movies was the Devil's Backbone I think which was also pretty good.

-Super Hans-
09-30-2008, 04:12 AM
I always wondered where that guy came from.

:lol :rolleyes::rolleyes: u missed out. it was awesome :rock

Viper
09-30-2008, 05:04 AM
This is the first time I've looked in the thread, its great to see things actually happening now, can't wait to return to Middle earth!

GrueSam
09-30-2008, 08:16 AM
http://bestsmileys.com/hitting/25.gif

Radagaster
09-30-2008, 08:47 AM
GDT also made The Orphanage. Great movie, albeit another scary one. The ending justifies all the scary elements they present. If you liked the twist on PL, give this one a try. Personally Devil's Backbone is on my list of things to watch, but for some reason I haven't run into too many rental places that carry it.

Reinhardt
09-30-2008, 09:05 AM
GDT also made The Orphanage. Great movie, albeit another scary one. The ending justifies all the scary elements they present. If you liked the twist on PL, give this one a try. Personally Devil's Backbone is on my list of things to watch, but for some reason I haven't run into too many rental places that carry it.

he only produced that one. great movie though. and devil's backbone was great as well. can't wait for this.

Nekita
09-30-2008, 09:06 AM
I hope they won't turn it into a CGI kiddy travesty since the Hobbit has a much younger target audience than LotR has.

Kuzeh
09-30-2008, 10:01 AM
I love Guillermo's style!!
Since Chronos, I've been a huge fan of his career, he's a very gifted and visionary director, Pan's is my favorite of his...
and I love his vision of Hellboy!!
This is going to be an awesome movie, GDT and PJ are like Spielberg and Lucas from the 80's!

Adoptedscot
10-01-2008, 12:55 AM
http://bestsmileys.com/hitting/25.gif
I know Sam, my bad. :banghead
I've ordered it on DVD though so I can watch it :clap

crazytrain
10-01-2008, 01:27 AM
I hope they won't turn it into a CGI kiddy travesty since the Hobbit has a much younger target audience than LotR has.

Can't remember where I saw it but I'm sure he's on record as saying that there are dark elements in the book and he's looking to focus/expand on them so worry not!

Nekita
10-01-2008, 02:14 AM
Can't remember where I saw it but I'm sure he's on record as saying that there are dark elements in the book and he's looking to focus/expand on them so worry not!

Sounds good!

The Ringer
10-03-2008, 03:10 AM
I really can't wait to see this film start growing.:D

Wetanut
10-03-2008, 05:29 AM

Hobbit WAS written for the younger reading audience, but I seriously doubt del Toro, Jackson, et al will kiddie it up. There are very dark themes in the book, despite the style of writing that Tolkien used. Both Jackson and del Toro have shown that they are fond of darker shadings. And I'm sure they know that the movie fans who are invested in the world of Middle earth will not accept anything less than a continuation of the world, albeit in keeping with the progression from carefree lightness of the Shire to dark realities of the bigger world that the Hobbit has. Jackson managed to do that with LOTR by making the Shire so very intensely bright and slowly adding and layering shadows and darkening the palette as the quest progressed.

Kratos
10-03-2008, 12:06 PM
I really can't wait to see this film start growing.:D

Me too man
Hopefully some of the filming is done in my area of NZ :D

-Super Hans-
10-03-2008, 12:15 PM
Me too man
Hopefully some of the filming is done in my area of NZ :D

didnt know u lived in NZ u ever seen the lion man :lol

Kratos
10-03-2008, 12:25 PM
didnt know u lived in NZ u ever seen the lion man :lol

Yea I have seen the Lion Man on TV and just recently in person up at the Zion Lion Park
He was a nice guy, but in my opinion you have too be pretty mad too go lie down with Lions and Tigers like he does, those Lions and Tigers are a lot bigger in person :lol

The Ringer
10-03-2008, 12:28 PM
Hobbit WAS written for the younger reading audience, but I seriously doubt del Toro, Jackson, et al will kiddie it up. There are very dark themes in the book, despite the style of writing that Tolkien used. Both Jackson and del Toro have shown that they are fond of darker shadings. And I'm sure they know that the movie fans who are invested in the world of Middle earth will not accept anything less than a continuation of the world, albeit in keeping with the progression from carefree lightness of the Shire to dark realities of the bigger world that the Hobbit has. Jackson managed to do that with LOTR by making the Shire so very intensely bright and slowly adding and layering shadows and darkening the palette as the quest progressed.

:lecture:clap

-Super Hans-
10-04-2008, 09:13 AM
Yea I have seen the Lion Man on TV and just recently in person up at the Zion Lion Park
He was a nice guy, but in my opinion you have too be pretty made too go lie down with Lions and Tigers like he does, those Lions and Tigers are a lot bigger in person :lol

i watch his show alot :rock:rock:rock:rock :D

Kratos
10-04-2008, 12:52 PM
i watch his show alot :rock:rock:rock:rock :D

yea its a good show
I like the Tigers :rock

The Ringer
10-09-2008, 04:19 AM
Happy Birthday GDT!:D:banana

Red
10-09-2008, 04:27 AM

:rock Yes HAPPY BIRTHDAY GDT 44 yrs young.:D

jrjhoe
10-09-2008, 06:41 AM
:rock Yes HAPPY BIRTHDAY GDT 44 yrs young.:D

And many more to come! Congrats GDT!

-Super Hans-
10-09-2008, 11:13 AM

wheres my movie :tap :lol

The Ringer
10-09-2008, 12:32 PM
Exactly.:lol

Kratos
10-09-2008, 01:01 PM
I want the Hobbit now :D

-Super Hans-
10-09-2008, 02:46 PM
im really looking forward to the riddles in the dark scene, should be pretty funny. anyone know if andy serkis is coming back to do gollum :huh

pixletwin
10-09-2008, 02:52 PM
Yup. I think it has been confirmed by several sources, including GDT and Serkis himself.

-Super Hans-
10-09-2008, 04:18 PM
thats good, i thought he probably would come back. he is gollum :rock:rock

Kratos
10-09-2008, 04:44 PM
It would be blasphemy to not bring Serkis back as Gollum

The Ringer
10-09-2008, 04:46 PM
It would be blasphemy to not bring Serkis back as Gollum

:lecture

Gollum=Serkis

Sachiel
10-09-2008, 09:16 PM
Serkis = Gollum

OMG...

Gollum is a man!

toffeepops
10-09-2008, 09:28 PM
filming starts around early 2009?

wofford29
10-09-2008, 09:32 PM
I can't imagine the box office numbers this movie has the potential to bring in worldwide. Can you buy stock in a movie?

The Ringer
10-10-2008, 03:37 AM

Ya, the potential for this movie is through the roof. I have the upmost confidence in GDT to do this movie good!

The Ringer
10-15-2008, 03:19 AM
Over on TORN GDT mentions that Smaug is taking form!:D

Smaug is probably the part of the movie I am most anticipating.

jrjhoe
10-15-2008, 05:27 AM
Can't wait for more! :rock

Red
10-15-2008, 05:28 AM
Not sure if i'm looking forward to the Hobbit more or the other film since it will be more of a suprise.:cool:

The Ringer
10-17-2008, 10:14 AM
Third possible movie!:google:google

FrodoEyes
10-18-2008, 04:16 AM
He didn't actually say that. Infact he said there was no way. It's just the interviewer making stuff up. I was drawn by the bit where it says GDT discusses Tom Bombadil - but he doesn't.

pordey2
10-18-2008, 09:03 AM
I have missed something. Link please?

OSCORP
10-18-2008, 09:05 AM
2011 is gonna be so kick ass.

The Ringer
10-18-2008, 09:48 AM
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2008/10/16/30296-guillermo-del-toro-i%e2%80%99m-so-voracious-about-the-hobbit/#more-30296:D

OSCORP
11-13-2008, 09:33 AM
http://movies.ign.com/dor/objects/492768/the-hobbit/videos/hobbit_info_breakout_111208.html

Kratos
11-13-2008, 12:12 PM
I think it would be quite cool if Doug Jones was involved with The Hobbit :D

fool_of_a_took!
11-13-2008, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the post!

Mrs Took and I just watched Guierrmos' "The Orphanage" which we both really liked.

I am excited that he will be a part of the Hobbit, now that I've taken some time to see some of his other work!

Fubeca
11-29-2008, 11:22 PM
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/hobbitnews.php?id=50900

Hobbit will shoot for 370 straight! Then out Dec 2011 and Dec 2012!

drjedisith
11-30-2008, 12:02 AM
del toro is going to make a masterpiece! AND, can you imagine the quality and detail we will see by the next 2-3 yrs in the 1/6 figures?!! time to start saving up for hot toys hobbit figures :)

Kratos
11-30-2008, 12:29 AM
del toro is going to make a masterpiece! AND, can you imagine the quality and detail we will see by the next 2-3 yrs in the 1/6 figures?!! time to start saving up for hot toys hobbit figures :)

My thoughts exactly start saving now :D

The Craw
11-30-2008, 12:33 AM
i think he is gonna make a steamy pile of crap. but hey....Sh-it happens.

Kratos
11-30-2008, 12:43 AM

I somewhat Agree
I don't think that The Hobbit will be up to the Standard of the Original LOTR Trilogy :monkey1

-Super Hans-
11-30-2008, 12:46 AM
dont be a negative nancy :thwak

:lol

I somewhat Agree
I don't think that The Hobbit will be up to the Standard of the Original LOTR Trilogy :monkey1

it will obviously be different, but i have faith in del torro.

The Craw
11-30-2008, 12:48 AM
and why isnt PJ directing this again? doesn't make sense to me.

Kratos
11-30-2008, 12:54 AM
and why isnt PJ directing this again? doesn't make sense to me.

Doesn't make sense to me either I mean if PJ resolved his differences with New Line shouldn't he be able to direct The Hobbit?:confused:

The Ween
11-30-2008, 12:54 AM
Question.......What actors from LotRs could possibly be in The Hobbit? I don't see many characters being in both.

Kratos
11-30-2008, 12:58 AM
Question.......What actors from LotRs could possibly be in The Hobbit? I don't see many characters being in both.

I could see Viggo doing a LOTR Spin Off

The Craw
11-30-2008, 01:00 AM
Question.......What actors from LotRs could possibly be in The Hobbit? I don't see many characters being in both.well gandalf and elrond. plus we could see cameos from other characters.

Wetanut
11-30-2008, 05:17 PM
letsee.....
For sure, except for the obligatory signing on the dotted line:
- Ian McKellan ..... Gandalf
- Andy Serkis .... Gollum/Smeagol

Hopeful (either that the 2d "bridge" film will have them written in and actors will commit to, although all of these have been very busy):
- Viggo Mortensen .... Aragorn/Strider/Thorongil
- Hugo Weaving .... Elrond
- Cate Blanchette .... Galadriel
- Marton Csokas .... Celeborn

Might be: (although they're gonna have to do a whole lotta writing to include):
- Orlando Bloom .... Legolas (dunno if he'd be included in the bridge)
- Elijah Wood .... Frodo (he's expressed interest in hoping to be written in)

Anzik
11-30-2008, 08:10 PM
I don't see too much of a problem seeing most of the actors do cameos but there's gonna be a ten year difference in their ages since they were first filmed for the LOTR. I hope those computers can erase the aging process.

The Craw
11-30-2008, 08:14 PM
dont forget Lee as Saruman. i am guessing that part of the bridging material will be the wizards banishing the "shadow" from mirkwood.

Kratos
11-30-2008, 08:30 PM
dont forget Lee as Saruman. i am guessing that part of the bridging material will be the wizards banishing the "shadow" from mirkwood.

Lee has already stated he does not want to come too NZ for filming of The Hobbit or the "Unnamed Sequel" as at his age he doesn't want to travel or have to live in NZ for filming but he has said he would be happy to do the voice of Smaug which would be a great alternative :D

The Ween
11-30-2008, 10:07 PM
I don't see too much of a problem seeing most of the actors do cameos but there's gonna be a ten year difference in their ages since they were first filmed for the LOTR. I hope those computers can erase the aging process.

They can do alot with just makeup. I'll be curious to see who actually ends up in the movie. I know Viggo wants to be in it also. Why do I have a feeling that they'll try to go with alot of new people?

The Ringer
12-01-2008, 03:50 AM
Lee has already stated he does not want to come too NZ for filming of The Hobbit or the "Unnamed Sequel" as at his age he doesn't want to travel or have to live in NZ for filming but he has said he would be happy to do the voice of Smaug which would be a great alternative :D

I remember reading that a couple months ago. It is a real shame that he does not want to come to NZ which is understandable considering his age but it would be cool ig GDT could accomadate his needs and film the Saruman shots elsewhere.

Adoptedscot
12-01-2008, 05:42 AM
I for one would love Lee back as Saruman, it would be wierd someone else playing his part. I'm keeping fingers crossed that he does return, they may film it elsewhere or something, I dunno how they would do it, I would just really like him to return.
However, if he didnt, I don't think he would work as the voice of Smaug. IMO his voice is too distinctive, I would see Smaug (if he is shown) but hear Saruman and that would ruin it a little for me, but thats just me. :dunno

DinoLast
12-01-2008, 05:51 AM
I for one would love Lee back as Saruman, it would be wierd someone else playing his part. I'm keeping fingers crossed that he does return, they may film it elsewhere or something, I dunno how they would do it, I would just really like him to return.
However, if he didnt, I don't think he would work as the voice of Smaug. IMO his voice is too distinctive, I would see Smaug (if he is shown) but hear Saruman and that would ruin it a little for me, but thats just me. :dunno

I agree. I could still hear Gimli when Treebeard was talking

Kratos
12-01-2008, 12:28 PM

Don't get me wrong I want too see Chris Lee to return as much as any other LOTR fan but he is 87 next year and he may not be as "Stable" as he was when he was in LOTR and because of that we can't expect him to compromise his own health over what his fans want, but if he can return in some form or another I will be most happy :monkey3

tomandshell
12-01-2008, 12:54 PM
Lee has already stated he does not want to come too NZ for filming of The Hobbit or the "Unnamed Sequel" as at his age he doesn't want to travel or have to live in NZ for filming

Then we replace him with Michael Gambon, who is a great replacement wizard.

Kratos
12-01-2008, 01:15 PM

I think Michael Gambon's Dumbledore resembles Gandalf

tomandshell
12-01-2008, 01:20 PM
I really think that Christopher Lee owns the part, and if there's any way that they could film his footage in the UK and make it work, then I hope they'll at least consider it.

Darth Loki
12-01-2008, 01:40 PM
I really think that Christopher Lee owns the part, and if there's any way that they could film his footage in the UK and make it work, then I hope they'll at least consider it.

I can't imagine anyone else as Saruman or anyone other than McKellen as Gandalf. All the rest I could live with (except Sirkis for Gollum).

The Josh
12-01-2008, 01:43 PM
He can always have himself filmed on a green screen or his sections filmed in a studio there with the actors and make those towards the end of filming.

The Ringer
12-01-2008, 03:54 PM
IMO Christopher Lee= Saruman:saruman

Kratos
12-01-2008, 04:17 PM
IMO Christopher Lee= Saruman:saruman

:lecture:lecture:lecture

Wetanut
12-01-2008, 05:18 PM

Depends on the definition of "great." I'm sure it's a thankless job to come in after Harris' take on the character and credit is due him for coming in and taking on someone else's well-established/loved characterization. Am not hating him anymore in HP -- am now at the level of "meh", but he just doesn't do it for me as Dumbledore. Actually, am not a fan of Gambon in mostly anything.

thenammagazine
12-02-2008, 11:53 AM
I can't imagine anyone else as Saruman or anyone other than McKellen as Gandalf. All the rest I could live with (except Sirkis for Gollum).

If they took Andy Garcia and aged him a bit, I think he'd match Christopher Lee's look as Sauroman and even fit with the character being a bit younger. Then they could just pull a Vader and have Lee voiceover Garcia's lines.

http://www.tolkien-universe.com/e107_images/newspost_images/christopher_lee1.jpg

http://www.poster.net/garcia-andy/garcia-andy-photo-andy-garcia-6227168.jpg

darthviper107
12-02-2008, 11:57 AM
He can always have himself filmed on a green screen or his sections filmed in a studio there with the actors and make those towards the end of filming.

That would work--in SWEP2 when Anakin and Padme were on Naboo talking with the new queen the old bearded guy (Sio Bibble) was shot on Bluescreen because the actor couldn't be there in shooting. They measured everything and duplicated it on stage.

The Ringer
12-30-2008, 09:30 AM
Bumping because I can!

Where are you GDT?:D

pixletwin
12-30-2008, 09:32 AM
While I agree that Garcia is a good match for a younger Lee, I think it would be strange to have a younger Saruman and yet Gandalf still looking pretty much the same.

The Ringer
12-30-2008, 09:33 AM
While I agree that Garcia is a good match for a younger Lee, I think it would be strange to have a younger Saruman and yet Gandalf still looking pretty much the same.

So true. I really hope GDT will accomadate Lee and Lee will have a change of heart.

pixletwin
12-30-2008, 09:35 AM
I have a feeling we will be seeing Chris Lee in The Hobbit (baring any "natural consequences" which may arise.)

:rip

-Super Hans-
12-30-2008, 09:42 AM
2012 thats a long wait. i dont think ill even live that long :monkey2

BlindVoyeur
12-30-2008, 09:43 AM
Why is he even needed anyway? Saruman Wasn't in The Hobbit....

pixletwin
12-30-2008, 10:01 AM
Its implied and something I think they are using for the second of the two movies (when Gandalf leaves Thorin's party its to attend the White Council and expel the Necromancer (who I believe is the Witch-King or Sauron--I've never been clear on that) from Mirkwood. So yeah, Gandalf, Galadriel, and Saruman should all be in it since they all took part in The White Council.