Folding@home

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shropt

My Little Mod
Reaction score
Now that I have a PS3, has anyone started an SSF Folding@home team? If not then I would like to start one.

Anyone have one started yet before I create one?

EDIT:

I have created a Sideshow Freaks Folding@home team!

Team number: 123801

To join the team:

Start Folding@home
Hit the triangle button
Go to Identity
Choose "Join an existing team"
Enter 123801
That's it!!

No work will go to the team's stats until you have completed your current job.

You can look at the team statistics here:

https://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=123801

EDIT 2:

Make sure under Identity that you change your name to your board name. Lets see who folds the most proteins!! :bunnydanc :D

Last edited:
I've done Seti@Home, but never heard of Folding@Home. Same process though, uses your hardware for data processing that connects to their systems.

I've been doing the Folding at Home for quite awhile now. I would join your team, but, I have been a member of the Blu-Ray.com team for awhile now.

Sorry guys. But, it's good that more people get going on this.

:clap

I've been doing the Folding at Home for quite awhile now. I would join your team, but, I have been a member of the Blu-Ray.com team for awhile now.

Sorry guys. But, it's good that more people get going on this.

:clap

This was actually a selling point for me to get a PS3. :D

Why is this good letting people use your system? Can someone explain this to me? It looks like all I would be doing is letting someone access my system to use processing power. WTF would I do that? I must be missing something. :dunno

It's for the good of mankind... seriously.

They use our power to process proteins and stuff. It's just a nice thing to do.

Why is this good letting people use your system? Can someone explain this to me? It looks like all I would be doing is letting someone access my system to use processing power. WTF would I do that? I must be missing something. :dunno

This is why.

Accurate simulations of protein folding and misfolding enable the scientific community to better understand the development of many diseases, including sickle-cell disease (drepanocytosis), Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, BSE (mad cow disease), cancer, Huntington's disease, cystic fibrosis, osteogenesis imperfecta, alpha 1-antitrypsin deficiency, and other aggregation-related diseases.[4] More fundamentally, understanding the process of protein folding — how biological molecules assemble themselves into a functional state — is one of the outstanding problems of molecular biology. So far, the Folding@Home project has successfully simulated folding in the 5-10 microsecond range — a time scale thousands of times longer than it was previously thought possible to model.[5] The Pande Group goal is to refine and improve the MD and Folding@Home DC methods to the level where it will become an essential tool for the MD research. [6] For that goal they collaborate with various scientific institutions. [7] As of December 13, 2007, fifty-four scientific research papers have been published using the project's work.[8] A University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign report dated October 22, 2002 states that Folding@Home distributed simulations of protein folding are demonstrably accurate.

Or in a simpler sense, it helps process the massive amounts of raw data into something relevant that can be used to help find cures.

Ahhh makes sense now. Thanks guys!

With Seti@Home, it says that only about 2% of the sky has actually been analyzed. And the people at SETI needed computer processing help in processing all the information that is received. Since they didn't have enough computer power to do so, they created the @Home project with allowed people's computers to help.

With Seti@Home, it says that only about 2% of the sky has actually been analyzed. And the people at SETI needed computer processing help in processing all the information that is received. Since they didn't have enough computer power to do so, they created the @Home project with allowed people's computers to help.

I have my tin foil hat so I am protected in case of a government conspiracy with these things. I will look into signing up.

Back