Harrison Ford Interview in new Men's Journal

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrishJedi

Super Freak
Reaction score
The interview isn't on their website (yet), but there is some interesting INDY related stuff in there, particular this bit:

MJ: Would you be willing to do an Indy 5?

HF: In a New York minute. I think it would be very interesting to see Indy in the 1960's...

Not that this really means anything (he said almost the same thing to Barbara Walters about INDY IV... about 10 years ago) but we now have it documented that Ford's willing to do another, which is notable given the hints that the franchise might continue in some way.

I also thought that Ford might announce his retirement after Crystal Skull (and he still might, if there is no possibility of him appearing in a 5th) so I was surprised to read these comments.

I also thought that Ford might announce his retirement after Crystal Skull (and he still might, if there is no possibility of him appearing in a 5th) so I was surprised to read these comments.

Do actors ever retire?

They're like rock bands. They say that's it, then show up again.

True. But if Ford is eying retirement (and it's actually sounded like it the past couple of years) what better time to do it than after an INDY film?

I'd like to see Ford try his hand at playing a villain. Not like "What Lies Beneath" but a more conventional villain.

I always thought it would be fun -- and weird -- to see Connery play a Bond villain now. He's actually make a great one...if you can get passed the obvious "opposite-world" thing.

I'm torn on this. There is something to be said for beating a franchise to death, but I love this franchise so much that I say, "Go Harrison and make Indy films until you can't make them anymore." I just hope it happens sooner rather than later. Waiting another 10 years would be rather pointless.

Interesting concept of Indy through the decades. Could make for an fun history lesson through Indy's adventures.

He probably also realizes that a successful Indy flick could breath life back into his floundering career. I like Harrison, but Air Force One was the last good flick of his, IMO.

Yeah he's had a string of bad movies.

I'd be up for a 1960s Indy flick, assuming this new one is good, but would Speilberg and Lucas?

Various relics are possible, some already done in comics n such, Atlantis, El Dorado, Spear of Destiny, Fountain of Youth, etc. Personally I'd like to see Indy go to Tibet looking for Shangri-la, a bit like the book/movie Lost Horizon. It would tie in nicely with the aging adventurer story I think. But who would he go up against? I could see another death cult type of villain like TOD instead of Nazis or Soviets.

If Indy 4 comes out as good as I think it will then I'd be fine with Indy 5. There is a certain level everyone has to stay at for it to be worth doing.

Yeah he's had a string of bad movies.

I'd be up for a 1960s Indy flick, assuming this new one is good, but would Speilberg and Lucas?

Spielberg would do another in a heartbeat if he liked the script.

And Lucas also said he was open to more possible INDY flicks in a recent interview. But how long would it take that weirdo to come up with the MacGuffin/Plot and sign off on a script that he likes? It only took about 10-12 years this last time. :rolleyes:

And Lucas wouldn't budge on his crystal skull idea. I read somewhere that he said it was the only good MacGuffin he could think of.

And Lucas wouldn't budge on his crystal skull idea. I read somewhere that he said it was the only good MacGuffin he could think of.

Actually, Lucas has always wanted to do a flick with Indy in a haunted castle (it was his original idea for INDY 3) but Spielberg shot it down because he'd just produced the POLTERGIEST movies, so Lucas came up with the Crystal Skull/Area 51/Roswell/Mayans/Aliens thing (this was 1993).

I wonder if Spielberg would be more receptive to that concept now and if Lucas wants to revisit it. I know it sounds hokey, but I'd be interested to see something like that, especially since it would be a lot of Indy encountering booby-traps.

I'd rather see another quest for something historical or religious based. Indy searching for classic mysterious artifacts and locations rather than a haunted house type of thing. Ghosts? meh. Booby traps are cool but can be worked into almost any story me thinks.

I really can't think of anything cooler than this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shangri-La

It's got the exotic locals, archeology & different culture angle, but also the mystical magical Garden of Eden stuff, especially the living forever part which certainly would be an appeal to old Indy, and it would take Indy back to the far east which I'd love to see. It's less hokey than Atlantis and certainly the ties to the Capra film would appeal to Lucas.

With "Pirates 4" being the Fountain of Youth, I doubt they'd put Indy in anything that felt like that. Not sure what is exciting about the Garden of Eden exactly. I mean, there's no skull or ark. Indy needs that 'thing'.

After the aliens in this one, it's also gonna be hard to go back to mystical "God" stuff. Figuring out a good premise with a good McGuffin for Indy 5 is a real trick.

Maybe something out of the Da Vinci Code type thing.

Back