Toys R Us = Dumb

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrishJedi

Super Freak
Reaction score
1. No "Midnight Madness" Event on 5/1 for INDY toys (even though there will be one in July/August for Animated Clone Wars :rolleyes: ).

2. According to several TRU sources, there will actually be a much bigger selection of SPEED RACER toys at TRU stores than INDY or even IRON MAN.

:duh :duh :duh :duh

Oh well. Looks like Wal-Mart, Target and the online outlets will get our Indy toy $$$.

1. No "Midnight Madness" Event on 5/1 for INDY toys (even though there will be one in July/August for Animated Clone Wars :rolleyes: ).

2. According to several TRU sources, there will actually be a much bigger selection of SPEED RACER toys at TRU stores than INDY or even IRON MAN.

:duh :duh :duh :duh

Oh well. Looks like Wal-Mart, Target and the online outlets will get our Indy toy $$$.

I don't think the Indy toys will do as well. Not many children appreciate the series like we do. :monkey2 I cringe when I hear kids say they hate the OLD Star Wars movies. That is why I can't have kids yet. I will give them a good beat down for that. :lol

Interesting....I wasn't really expecting a Midnight Madness but I did fully expect that this would take on a larger role than ol' Speed.....

I don't think the Indy toys will do as well. Not many children appreciate the series like we do. :monkey2 I cringe when I hear kids say they hate the OLD Star Wars movies. That is why I can't have kids yet. I will give them a good beat down for that. :lol

Yeah... but Speed Racer??? And TRU expects those toys to do better than IRON MAN, too? :huh

Is this one of many results of NASCAR infecting our culture?? (Yes, I know Speed Racer has nothing to do with NASCAR, I just can't figure out any other rationale behind them expecting the toys to be that big).

Yeah... but SPEED RACER??? And TRU expects those toys to do better than IRON MAN, too? :huh

Is this a result of NASCAR infecting our culture??

No, and there is nothing wrong with NASCAR. :lol It is just more geared towards children. What they see is what they will want. Who know though, maybe parents will get their kids into it. :dunno Then the kids can hate on all the old movies. :lol

Most kids MIGHT know who Indiana Jones is......but do you think they know who Belloq, Brody, and even Marion are? Heeelllllllllll NO!

Come on....I love Speed Racer. The new film really looks like an honest attempt to make a real life Anime so I'm giving it a chance. It isn't on par with Indy but still

Personally I will have a mandatory sit down and watch with dad list all ready when they are old enough. :lecture

TRU stores will be forced to put tons of Speed Racer toys on clearance by Christmas. Yet another example of why they have to flirt with Bankruptcy every couple of years.

First off, buying figures from TRU seems like a pretty bad idea considering the stuff in there is for kids 1-12 or maybe 14. They don't even sell any good Xbox or PS3 games, although they did have a killer deal on the Vision Camera Gold package!

Yeah... but Speed Racer??? And TRU expects those toys to do better than IRON MAN, too? :huh

Is this one of many results of NASCAR infecting our culture?? (Yes, I know Speed Racer has nothing to do with NASCAR, I just can't figure out any other rationale behind them expecting the toys to be that big).

Just another bad call by TRU as usual.

Younger kids might like the CGI "Racer" because it looks like a giant cartoon. I don't even want to see it. Interest = zilch

I think they're smart not to overdo it on Indy stuff. Most kids of toy playing age probably have no idea who Indiana Jones is. It's a line that's going to live or die by the collectors. I can already see Marions, Sallahs and Belloqs collecting dust on store shelves.

I think they're smart not to overdo it on Indy stuff. Most kids of toy playing age probably have no idea who Indiana Jones is. It's a line that's going to live or die by the collectors. I can already see Marions, Sallahs and Belloqs collecting dust on store shelves.

Oh, I agree. I don't want to see a redo of the EPISODE I overkill onslaught, either. And part of that is on Hasbro and how they package and allot the figure assortments.

But TRU seems to be going in the opposite direction and completely downplaying. Which I suppose is okay, too... except at the same time they're expecting something like "Speed Racer" to sell more toys than either Indy or "Iron Man". That's where they lose me.

But the thing is it's gonna be pretty hard to find specific Indy toys (outside of the core/main action figures) at TRU. The first couple of collectors who walk through the door of each TRU store will snatch up all of the good stuff. So I wouldn't even bother.

TRU stores will be forced to put tons of Speed Racer toys on clearance by Christmas. Yet another example of why they have to flirt with Bankruptcy every couple of years.

Maybe... maybe not... Speed Racer will appeal to younger kids who don't even know who he is beyond this movie; lots of "eye candy" in it. Also, there is a new Speed Racer animated series coming to Cartoon Network in May, that will also fuel the toys! Speed Racer may be the merchandising hit of the year... or the biggest flop! Only time will tell.

I stopped buying toys anyway. I now buy collectibles. I haven't set foot in a TRU for a few years. :D

I saw quite a few Speed Racer toys this weekend at TRU. Dang, there's a bunch of craptacular toys out for this movie.

Yeah, i went into my local TRU the other day looking for the Joe 25th annaversery figures. there was this MONSTEROUS display of Speed racer garbage. ( hadn't been to toys r us in a while) I just don't get it. Found the section with the joe stuff, nd all they were selling were empty peghooks. i expect indy to be the same here when it comes in. I just don't get it.

Well, TRU is certainly putting most of their eggs in the "Speed Racer" basket. And maybe it'll pay off (I highly doubt it). Regardless, that's a much bigger risk than something like "Iron Man" or even "Indy".

Back