Final Fantasy IV DS CONFIRMED for US!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Memnoch

Lt. Vulture
Reaction score
Well we are getting it! Final Fantasy IV for the DS has now been confirmed for a US release. July 22 is the date. I cannot tell you how pleased I am now, since I thought this was never going to come to the US. Here's a link to the story at G4:

Click Me!

And here's their story:

Square Enix confirmed that the Nintendo DS version of Final Fantasy IV is hitting American shelves on July 22nd.

The original version of this much-loved turn-based role-playing game was released all the way back in 1991. Let's hope this re-vamped port has stands the test of time.

If you're dying to read a press release quote, here it is:

"FINAL FANTASY IV for DS is a classic revived for the 21st century," said John Yamamoto, president and chief executive officer of Square Enix, Inc. "The visual upgrades are remarkable, and the plot has been enhanced with added detail and depth. We hope that fans of the original, as well as players new to the FINAL FANTASY franchise, will enjoy all that this title has to offer."

I love the FF series. it would be in their best financial interest to relaunch FF 7. They would sell millions of copies even at the 60 buck price point.

FFIV is one of my favorites of the whole series. I love all the characters (Kain is also one of my favorite FF characters) and it had a great storyline!

Sorry but you're both wrong. If I were head at SE right now I'd fast track doing V and VI on the DS. In that you get your old school gamers hooked into a 3D upgrade of the last AMAZING FF games and maybe some kids/teens. After that, fully redone, 3D, top shelf Final Fantasy VI (non chibi) on the PS3. Done right you would again have hardcore gamers salivating and buying and again the teen RPG player market. IMO VI has as much if not more staying power than VII and the fact it hasn't been milked to death is a good sign. Just stick to the original story line, clean it up, make it a T rated game (or do an American-ized translation, Kefka could go hardcore with the language then) and you'd have an amazing game.

Final Fantasy... :monkey4

7 and 8 were the best... and the previous ones were good too... I wonder why they didn't make more after 8... lol....

Final Fantasy... :monkey4

7 and 8 were the best... and the previous ones were good too... I wonder why they didn't make more after 8... lol....

Have you played VI? Totally beats out VII and VIII and I liked VIII :lol VII just doesn't do anything for me, terrible translation, hate the SD character style and the story just seemed sooo slow.

Have you played VI? Totally beats out VII and VIII and I liked VIII :lol VII just doesn't do anything for me, terrible translation, hate the SD character style and the story just seemed sooo slow.

I'm not gonna lie, you're right.. VII sucked and is quite overated... I liked VIII. and nope I never played VI

I'm not gonna lie, you're right.. VII sucked and is quite overated... I liked VIII. and nope I never played VI

It's out for the GBA (although edited in some points). You should give it a look, solid story line in that one and fairly long too. I think the fastest I've ever gotten through it was about 50 hours or so. Also you get over 12 playable characters.

Greatest Game and greatest FF game ever:

final-fantasy-vii-cast.jpg

Those who deny are in denial...sorry.

I'd like to ask 2 questions, can you list the reasons WHY it's a good game and second, have you played any of the earlier games?

I'd like to ask 2 questions, can you list the reasons WHY it's a good game and second, have you played any of the earlier games?

Reasons: The sheer grande scale of the game as a whole couldn't even be compared to games, FF games, and RPGs which came before. The story was top notch. Every character was lovable. The villain was great. The futuristic, worn down, tech nore world was amazingly expansive and like nothing we have ever seen, flying across the world, diving into the oceans, exploring was such a treat to behold. The FMV cut scenes were amazingly stunning. The prerendered backgrounds were gorgeous. The materia system was near perfect. First FF in 3D. The summons were spectacular. Aeris' death. The soundtrack is one of the greatest soundtracks ever. The deep and unfolding story line that got you attached to the characters. 3 Discs of pure awesomeness.

No other FF or RPG has ever achieved the success of VII nor has had the impact it did. The RPG was still relatively scarce anywhere else but Japan, except for some mild successes like FFVI and Chrono Trigger. Not only did VII put FF on the map, and get none hardcore RPG fans into RPGs, but it paved the way for all others to come after...The pure cinematic scope and movie feel that one got from playing FFVII will never be matched, the thing was EPIC.

It just can't be argued.

The earlier FF games bore me to death. Little sprites on pixelated screens. Only one I ever got into was IV, but got halfway through and got bored...they are so primitive nowadays. My favorites and the best IMO are VII, VIII, and X.

Last edited:
Reasons: The sheer grande scale of the game as a whole couldn't even be compared to games, FF games, and RPGs which came before. The story was top notch. Every character was lovable. The villain was great. The futuristic, worn down, tech nore world was amazingly expansive and like nothing we have ever seen, flying across the world, diving into the oceans, exploring was such a treat to behold. The FMV cut scenes were amazingly stunning. The prerendered backgrounds were gorgeous. The materia system was near perfect. First FF in 3D. The summons were spectacular. Aeris' death. The soundtrack is one of the greatest soundtracks ever. The deep and unfolding story line that got you attached to the characters. 3 Discs of pure awesomeness.

No other FF or RPG has ever achieved the success of VII nor has had the impact it did. The RPG was still relatively scarce anywhere else but Japan, except for some mild successes like FFVI and Chrono Trigger. Not only did VII put FF on the map, and get none hardcore RPG fans into RPGs, but it paved the way for all others to come after...The pure cinematic scope and movie feel that one got from playing FFVII will never be matched, the thing was EPIC.

It just can't be argued.

The earlier FF games bore me to death. Little sprites on pixelated screens.

Do yourself a favor and play VI but so I can argue your points, there are spoilers ahead:

The sheer grande scale of the game as a whole couldn't even be compared to games, FF games, and RPGs which came before.

In VI you play in two separate worlds, with entirely different monsters, encounters and situations. Also when you enter the second world you have one character and are only required 3 others so you can chose to make this game as easy or difficult as you'd like.

The story was top notch. Every character was lovable.

I completely disagree with this. The story was bland, boring and I actually didn't like most of the character personalities except for Aerith. There were points where I fell asleep and that's rare for me when playing ANY game much less Final Fantasy.

The futuristic, worn down, tech nore world was amazingly expansive and like nothing we have ever seen, flying across the world, diving into the oceans, exploring was such a treat to behold.

Really? It was a new setting but we've flown around the worlds in other FF games, we've been under the ocean. Nothing really new there except the new cyber-theme.

The FMV cut scenes were amazingly stunning.

Except for the fact that the FMVs never matched to the chibi in game characters. Pixels or not, at least in the pre- VII games the styles matched.

The materia system was near perfect.

Materia rivals Junctioning as the worst spell system ever. It was hard to organize, you only had so many slots to use and god help you if you forget to equip a Materia or anything like that.

The summons were spectacular.

Pretty to look at, but the ones that were actually useful were a pain in the ass to get to. Hours of Chocobo racing for Knights of the Round? In VI as long as you could fight you could get everything.

Aeris' death.

Not the first and not the last. And actually in VI you can choose if a character lives or dies. Hell in IV half your party dies at some point.

The soundtrack is one of the greatest soundtracks ever.
List to the music of VI with full orchestration. It's part of my reason for wanting VI to be done on the PS3, because the opera would be a thing of beauty that would completely destroy VII if done above the level of the FMV for the PS1 release.

The deep and unfolding story line that got you attached to the characters.

VI goes far deeper, a character who was against her will turned into a soldier, a character who has all free thought and memory robbed from her, a theif (*ahem* that's treasure hunter!) who is guilty over the death of his intended fiancee, two brothers- one who became king on a rigged coin toss, the other who only wanted freedom, a man who lost the love of his life and his only equal, and finally a villian who doesn't try to rule and destroy the world but actually DOES. A character who is completely off it, kills entire towns and manipulates people to his own ends. And that's just the first half the game.

A good game required more than cardboard characters, flash graphics and good push from both Sony and Square. FF VII was the first FF on the PS and the reason Square jumped ship from Sony. Fact is that FF VI was originally going to be the first 3D game but Square wanted away from the cartridge system and Nintendo wanted to keep it. Most of the work was done for VI already so it became the last Nintendo FF. But for you kids who like VII because it was your first RPG and had the nice flashy graphics I say let them redo an actual GOOD FF game in the next gen technology and you will see that FF VII is actually an average game with a bland story line.

A good game required more than cardboard characters, flash graphics and good push from both Sony and Square......But for you kids who like VII because it was your first RPG and had the nice flashy graphics I say let them redo an actual GOOD FF game in the next gen technology and you will see that FF VII is actually an average game with a bland story line.

Just because it had flashy graphics means it's not any less of a game...infact it's more of a game. The characters are far from cardboard and the story is far from bland, they should remake a GREAT FF game, which would be VII...any other is less than sub par.

Oh yea and I disagree with you on every point you tried to make to make my reasons of FFVII being the greatest FF game null.

Just because it had flashy graphics means it's not any less of a game...infact it's more of a game. The characters are far from cardboard and the story is far from bland, they should remake a GREAT FF game, which would be VII...any other is less than sub par.

Oh yea and I disagree with you on every point you tried to make to make my reasons of FFVII being the greatest FF game null.

Well then all I can say is that you are being cheated from a fantastic experience due in part to your fanboy-ism feelings of VII. I would assume it was your first FF or RPG game as well?

Well then all I can say is that you are being cheated from a fantastic experience due in part to your fanboy-ism feelings of VII. I would assume it was your first FF or RPG game as well?

My first RPG was Super Mario RPG, my first FF was VII.

I just hate it when people deny the the greatness of FFVII, like it was a crap in the barrel next to the almighty VI. Regardless if it was my first anything doesn't negate it's awesomeness.

My first RPG was Super Mario RPG, my first FF was VII.

I just hate it when people deny the the greatness of FFVII, like it was a crap in the barrel next to the almighty VI. Regardless if it was my first anything doesn't negate it's awesomeness.

I didn't say anything like it was crap in a barrel it just is a substandard FF game that started a downward trend in the series. Ask most gamers with prior experience before VII and most will agree. If you asked me for an honest rating of the games I've played:

VI
VIII
III
IV
V
IX
VII
X
II
I
XI (as it's online and doesnt feel like a true FF). Just note that my top 5, only ONE is from the Sony era.

Back