PDA

View Full Version : My Commander Praji review

Michael Crawford
04-10-2008, 04:00 PM
The latest release in the long running Sideshow Star Wars line is Commander Praji! Who? Yep, that's what I said too.

But he's an Imperial Commander, and while he might not be the perfect Praji figure, he's a damn good looking Imperial Officer. You can find all the reviews at the usual:

http://www.mwctoys.com

I also have a question for those of you using IE to view the homepage - do you see all 12 Sponsor graphics? There should be 6 running down each side. If you're not seeing them, please drop me a note - thanks!

Thanks for reading, and have a terrific weekend!

Michael
MWC

The Josh
04-10-2008, 04:11 PM
Nice job Mike :)

The Ringer
04-10-2008, 04:14 PM
Another great review Mike!

TheObsoleteMan
04-10-2008, 04:37 PM
The boots don't seem *quite* screen accurate to me, but they are made from a nice leathery material, with a high gloss shine.

The boots are leather? :confused:

FQRizzo
04-10-2008, 04:41 PM
The boots are leather? :confused:

I would say they are about as different from leather as you can get...

Michael Crawford
04-10-2008, 04:41 PM
I said they were 'leathery' - the material is still rubber/plastic, but it's softer and more pliable than some of the past boots.

Natrix
04-10-2008, 04:52 PM
Also the Imperial "tubes" as you call them aren't in the pockets when packaged, they are in the two small accessory trays under the ungloved hands. You might want to change that so people reading your review know where to look before they separate the trays.

shocktrooper_au
04-10-2008, 04:55 PM
Personally, I like this figure a little bit better then you rated it (but I am an imperial fanboy) IMO the lack of a relaxed pair of gloved hands and the limitations of the buck are the only let downs on this one. If you'd pushed the shoulders back on the posed figure he really does look a lot better

http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/2558/img0371ja4.th.jpg (http://img353.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0371ja4.jpg)

Natrix
04-10-2008, 05:02 PM
I said they were 'leathery' - the material is still rubber/plastic, but it's softer and more pliable than some of the past boots.

Might want to reread that in your review Mike...from your review.

The boots don't seem *quite* screen accurate to me, but they are made from a nice leathery material, with a high gloss shine.

Michael Crawford
04-10-2008, 05:05 PM
Uh, are you not reading it or is it just me? It says "LEATHERY". It doesn't say leather. The material is softer, more pliable. That's what I meant.

FQRizzo
04-10-2008, 05:06 PM
Another great review, BTW :rock

Besides the "Commander Who?" aspect, the quality of this figure is top notch. Hopefully, this is a preview of the good stuff that will follow...

Michael Crawford
04-10-2008, 05:07 PM
Also the Imperial "tubes" as you call them aren't in the pockets when packaged, they are in the two small accessory trays under the ungloved hands. You might want to change that so people reading your review know where to look before they separate the trays.

Mine were loose in the package - I suspect a lot will be. I think my point of paying attention and looking for them when you open it is the simplest solution.

Natrix
04-10-2008, 05:07 PM
Uh, are you not reading it or is it just me? It says "LEATHERY". It doesn't say leather. The material is softer, more pliable. That's what I meant.

Boots are still plastic though and not a "leathery" material.

mrhatrulez
04-10-2008, 05:08 PM
Outstanding review as always Mike!

Michael Crawford
04-10-2008, 05:14 PM
Boots are still plastic though and not a "leathery" material.

Just for you Natrix, I'll add the word plastic between leathery and boots.

Natrix
04-10-2008, 05:30 PM
Just for you Natrix, I'll add the word plastic between leathery and boots.

I wasn't the only one to point it out. It was misleading information that others were confused about in this thread about as well.

I just made a few suggestions for changes to your review to help your readers out and didn't make any comments towards you, yet you get all defensive about it.

You don't have to be an ass about it but it is your review so you can have what you want in it.

YoNoSe
04-10-2008, 06:08 PM
I wasn't the only one to point it out. It was misleading information that others were confused about in this thread about as well.

I just made a few suggestions for changes to your review to help your readers out and didn't make any comments towards you, yet you get all defensive about it.

You don't have to be an ass about it but it is your review so you can have what you want in it.

Wow did Michael kill your puppy or something? Take it easy...

TheObsoleteMan
04-10-2008, 07:08 PM
I've never heard plastic decribed as leathery before, I guess that's what confused me about it. When I see the words "leathery material" I think of leather.

galactiboy
04-10-2008, 08:01 PM
Definitely think he warrants the 3 1/2 score, but I really like the style of the headsculpt. I don't care about accuracy, but I thought the character of a smug imperial was conveyed really well. Still an enjoyable read as always, and really great pictures.

OSCORP
04-10-2008, 08:04 PM
He got a 3

Michael Crawford
04-10-2008, 08:09 PM
I think GB means he would have gone 3 1/2 overall.

galactiboy
04-10-2008, 08:15 PM
Yes, sorry 3 1/2 overall... sorry for my confusingly leathery post :lol

OSCORP
04-10-2008, 08:18 PM
Ah!:monkey1

tomandshell
04-10-2008, 08:39 PM
3.5 out of 4, or out of 5? I would be willing to give it 3.5 out of 5 but it's not quite a half star away from perfection to me, so 3 out of 4 sounds fair.

galactiboy
04-10-2008, 08:43 PM
Out of 4 (using Michaels system), for what I was expecting out of the figure I think he delivers... but I was real jazzed about having a cool looking imperial officer and I don't think they could have done much better.

FQRizzo
04-11-2008, 04:28 AM
I agree.

What really lowers the score of this figure? The Buck body? Well, we haven't had anything else but the Buck so far. The hands that are hard to work with? Well, you can use a hair dryer. The price? Praji is still one of the cheaper 1/6th figures on the market.

IMO, the execution on Praji is one of the best that SS has done so far, what it comes down to is that no one is really excited about the character. I think that Praji definitely garners a 3.5/4 in my book.

Darth Cruel
04-11-2008, 07:29 AM
Mike, What is the best rating you give? I am guessing 4 or 5 stars.

Michael Crawford
04-11-2008, 07:31 AM
Yes, four.

ProgMatinee
04-11-2008, 07:49 AM
I think your review is pretty much how I feel about it.

Good figure, but nothing really dynamic enough to send it into the record books.

MaulFan
04-11-2008, 10:42 AM
I think your review is pretty much how I feel about it.

Good figure, but nothing really dynamic enough to send it into the record books.

I think that's why he was handled different from the other figures in the line, they knew he'd only have favor with a niche group of collectors. I love to photograph figures and such, but Praji isn't exciting in that way, but as a Star Wars fan, it's cool to have an Imperial Officer in the mix, the style of their demeanor and uniforms is cool and Praji does a good job of conveying that rigidness they had.

ProgMatinee
04-11-2008, 12:00 PM
I think that's why he was handled different from the other figures in the line, they knew he'd only have favor with a niche group of collectors. I love to photograph figures and such, but Praji isn't exciting in that way, but as a Star Wars fan, it's cool to have an Imperial Officer in the mix, the style of their demeanor and uniforms is cool and Praji does a good job of conveying that rigidness they had.

I agree. Its a good figure that I'm glad I have.

That said, from my perspective figures like Praji or the Endor troops need a little extra incentive to make them stand out. Pricing them $10-$15 cheaper would have done that for me.

Captain Faramir
04-11-2008, 12:38 PM
But regardless of how unimportant they are to the story, the figures still cost the same to make and produce. You can't make it cheaper just because it's an obscure character.

ProgMatinee
04-11-2008, 01:25 PM
But regardless of how unimportant they are to the story, the figures still cost the same to make and produce. You can't make it cheaper just because it's an obscure character.

But at the same time, just because costs may be the same doesn't mean rate of return or profit margins need to be.

SSC could have reduced per unit profit expectations for these obscure figures and instead gained profit by increasing quantity. At the right price SSC might be able to sell 10,000 Praji's rather than just 3,000.

Also, the accountants at SSC could ammortized more of the licensing costs against the more popular characters like Vader and therefore lower the cost of Praji.

Then again, I'm one of those spoiled Americans with demands for cheap goods. :D

Captain Faramir
04-11-2008, 01:27 PM
. . . Then again, I'm one of those spoiled Americans with demands for cheap goods. :D

:lol That could be the case bro-- but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Mudshark
04-11-2008, 01:28 PM
I hesitated at first when Praji went up for preorder, but went ahead and ordered him anyway. I just had a hunch he'd turn out to be an interesting deviation from the more sought after SW figures produced so far, and after reading Mike's review I'm glad I got him. He looks even better than I'd hoped, and the nicely done weapons are a big plus, too. :cool:

Wor-Gar
04-11-2008, 02:21 PM
That said, from my perspective figures like Praji or the Endor troops need a little extra incentive to make them stand out. Pricing them $10-$15 cheaper would have done that for me.

Rather than drop the price, I'd prefer to have more 'extras', or one big bonus item, like Han's Mynock.

For more extras, maybe yet another gun and one of those "samauri" style helmets to change him up into a Death Star Guard. Heck with another helmet, a lot of people would get two.

For a larger item, maybe an interrogation droid...I know we all think that's coming with Vader, but still, if it isn't this would be a great way to get it out to us, even if it's not film accurate.

If Praji came with an interrogation droid or alternate outfit parts (Death Star Guard helmet) then a lot more people would have jumped in.

The Josh
04-11-2008, 03:20 PM
I'm always game for more items. I agree that with guys like Praji the more items the better but if they can turn out like Praji and IMO how nice the Endor Boys turned out it won't take much.

Wor-Gar
04-11-2008, 03:36 PM
I'm always game for more items. I agree that with guys like Praji the more items the better but if they can turn out like Praji and IMO how nice the Endor Boys turned out it won't take much.

Yeah, personally I'm fine with the price, or I wouldn't have bought him. $60 ain't bad for a figure ready to go right out of the box without any expensive upgrades. But heck, more little items are fairly cheap but make the whole package seem so much more worth it.

shocktrooper_au
04-11-2008, 03:48 PM
Yeah a mouse droid or rifle with stand or a Deathsquad Helmet would have all been nice, hell a second pair of gloved hands would help with the value

fantasymaker
04-12-2008, 10:59 AM
I ' pass , really is a character that i am not intersted, well in terms of similar , the face seems to be very swollen , there is a better job of sculpture, but to me is not like the actor . I really do not want spend to money in characters that appear seconds on the screen..............:emperor:emperor

FQRizzo
04-12-2008, 11:46 AM
I ' pass , really is a character that i am not intersted, well in terms of similar , the face seems to be very swollen , there is a better job of sculpture, but to me is not like the actor . I really do not want spend to money in characters that appear seconds on the screen..............:emperor:emperor

Say what you want, but Praji can really benefit anyone's collection. It's nice to have some variety after getting all those Jedi. :chew

fantasymaker
04-12-2008, 11:57 AM
hey rizzo , i do not see how it could benefit my collection , but i appreciate your comment .............:elefant:bunnydanc:taz:ted

FQRizzo
04-12-2008, 12:07 PM
To each his own, but in this case, seeing is believing.

I highly recommend him.

:peace

MaulFan
04-12-2008, 12:13 PM
Praji isn't a figure for representing a Star Wars character, he's definitely a figure about representing a Star Wars organization and he's great for that.

fantasymaker
04-12-2008, 12:34 PM
rizzo : totally agree , I respect to who buys, as well as the opinion the maulfan , but equally i do not see as enrich my collection this figure !!!!!:D:D:D:peace

galactiboy
04-12-2008, 12:42 PM
Praji isn't a figure for representing a Star Wars character, he's definitely a figure about representing a Star Wars organization and he's great for that.

I think that sums him up well for me.

Great Ape
04-15-2008, 11:21 PM
I'm sorry But I adamantly disagree with this review. I find it curious that no Sideshow figure except possibly MAUL, (maybe your favorite?), hasn't ever received a true or accurate rating by one of your staff. Meanwhile items released by other manufacturers which may not have as nice of a sculpt or hardly the same articulation receive grandiose ovation by your review team. Is there a grudge against SideShow? Outside of Hot Toys, Medicom, Did, or Dragon, no one comes close to SideShow!, So how can your reviews portray such insolence? Again I strongly disagree with the weak review this character was given, probably one of the best minor characters Sideshow has done to date!

Puay
04-16-2008, 12:36 AM
Here is one grateful fan that SSC decided to produce the figure. Thanks SSC.

Mooncat
04-16-2008, 01:02 AM
I'm sorry But I adamantly disagree with this review. I find it curious that no Sideshow figure except possibly MAUL, (maybe your favorite?), hasn't ever received a true or accurate rating by one of your staff. Meanwhile items released by other manufacturers which may not have as nice of a sculpt or hardly the same articulation receive grandiose ovation by your review team. Is there a grudge against SideShow? Outside of Hot Toys, Medicom, Did, or Dragon, no one comes close to SideShow!, So how can your reviews portray such insolence? Again I strongly disagree with the weak review this character was given, probably one of the best minor characters Sideshow has done to date!

Go Girlfriend,

(Raises handbag to chest)

The Josh
04-16-2008, 08:23 AM

While I like the support. It is his review and the right to his opinion. I don't always agree with Mike but he does a good job. I actually have had him help me with ideas for my reviews.

ProgMatinee
04-16-2008, 08:46 AM
If I'm not mistaken hasn't SSC frequently gotten medals in Michael's figures of the year awards including female figure of the year, 1/6th figure of the year, and the prestigous gold for company of the year, just this year as a matter of fact?

Sorry Great Ape, but you're way off base for saying his site is anti SSC. If anything, I think they're a bit to generous to SSC at times.

The gold is going to an old regular here - Sideshow Collectibles. Not only did they make some amazing product this year across a broad range of licenses and collectibles, including the Star Wars Maul and Ob-Wan, the Hulk and Cap PF's, and several of the comicquettes, but they made getting the Medicom and Hot Toys figures easier to get by distributing them. A lesser company with poorer vision might have simply considered these companies competition and done everything they could to interfere with them, but Sideshow sees the complimentary nature of their businesses, and has actually helped promote them.

Not only that, but they continue to be one of the best companies for customer service I've ever known. A positive attitude of caring and concern for the employees, customers and fans is something that comes all the way from the top down through the organization, and it's refreshing to see.

MaulFan
04-16-2008, 09:45 AM
If I'm not mistaken hasn't SSC frequently gotten medals in Michael's figures of the year awards including female figure of the year, 1/6th figure of the year, and the prestigous gold for company of the year, just this year as a matter of fact?

The awards are based on a panel of voters though, where the majority of reviews are Michael's personal thoughts, so the two can't be equated.

Blackhole
04-16-2008, 09:49 AM
Stormtrooper blaster...Folding Stock...:drool:drool:drool...

I hope they all have them...

Buttmunch
04-16-2008, 09:51 AM
The awards are based on a panel of voters though, where the majority of reviews are Michael's personal thoughts, so the two can't be equated.

No, he has different awards. The People's choice (that we all vote in), the NEW Poppies (what you are thinking of), and his own choice awards, which Prog's quote was from.

MaulFan
04-16-2008, 09:51 AM
Stormtrooper blaster...Folding Stock...:drool:drool:drool...

I hope they all have them...

It's 2 for 2 at this point, i wouldn't expect one not to have that feature, they'll recycle the molds and parts.

MaulFan
04-16-2008, 09:52 AM
No, he has different awards. The People's choice (that we all vote in), the NEW Poppies (what you are thinking of), and his own choice awards, which Prog's quote was from.

Oh, I was under the impression the awardings only came from a collective vote.

The Josh
04-16-2008, 11:27 AM
I think in my review I gave Prajii a 7.5 or 8.

abake
04-16-2008, 02:55 PM
Got Praji and overall, my feeling is that it is a great figure!
The tailoring of the suit is very good, long sleeves notwithstanding.
The boots are a lot better with the new soft material (although still a bit odd looking), and the sculpt and paint apps are very good. A bit too much on the lipstick department, but very good anyway.
The cloth cap is a bit large on mine, so I'll probably go with the plastic one.
8 out of 10.

jkno
04-16-2008, 11:35 PM
Great review Mike!!