Dragonball: The Live Action Movie

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mike

In the Pixels
Reaction score
This project has been talked about in various other threads but might as well consolidate into one thread.

Dragonball (2009)
Overview
Director:James Wong
Writers:Akira Toriyama (comic) and
Ben Ramsey (adaptation)
more
Release Date: 8 April 2009 (USA) more
Genre:Action / Adventure / Fantasy / Sci-Fi
Tagline: Summon the Eternal Dragon! more
Plot Outline: A young boy named Goku seeks out upon his grandfather's dying request to find the great Master Roshi and gather all seven Dragon Balls (of which he has one) in order to prevent Piccolo from succeeding in his desire to use the Dragon Balls to take over the world.

Production Notes/Status:

Justin Chatwin ... Goku

other cast:

James Marsters ... Lord Piccolo

Emmy Rossum ... Bulma

Yun-Fat Chow ... Master Roshi

Jamie Chung ... Chi Chi

Joon Park ... Yamcha

Randall Duk Kim ... Grandpa Gohan

Eriko Tamura ... Mai

Ernie Hudson

Texas Battle ... Carey Fuller

Luis Arrieta ... Teto

Shavon Kirksey ... Emi

Richard Blake ... Agundas
more

Why begin a thread now? Easy. They just released shots of Lord Piccolo on the net:

dragonball-piccolo-costume.jpg

Much different than this:

fightPiccolo.gif

I have a feeling when FOX releases the rights to show the facial make up which the artist on their site said they couldn't yet it won't look like this:
ptcr_piccolo.jpg

There are quite a few DB fans on these boards....thoughts?

I have high hopes for this film and hope it is better than any of the Mortal Kombat movies. Hopefully they can do it justice. Either way I will see this film.
In the meantime the Jackie Chan/Jet Li film the Forbidden Kingdom looks like it has a Journey to the West type story. Can't wait.

Last edited:
man i have a bad feeling about it.
the DBZ characters are going to be hard to make look like the show in live action. The FX will be easy with all the CGI.

we all have to see i guess.

The actor playing Goku looks too young.

I'm still gonna watch it even though so far I am not wowed.

I been following the rumored DBZ movie since I heard that Ray Park was playing Vegeta so I am watching this no matter what, and besides its being produced by Stephen Chow so there is still hope

*crosses every fingers I've got*

Last edited:
I was looking up Dragonball on Wikipedia and was surprised to see it has been dubbed 4 times by 4 companies!!! It apparently didn't take off the first couple of tries at syndication... :google

dragonball z holds the record of the anime that's being translated in evry Language in the world.

thats awsome !!

I remember I went to colombia one summer for vacation and man DBZ was on evryday at 6pm and all my cousins ran to the TV to watch it.
It was funny I had a DBZ T-shirt on and goku was super sayin and my cousins where like who is that blonde guy on your shirt.
They where just at the sayin saga so they had no idea what a super sayin was.

LOL

DBZ #1

That should be noted. Its NOT Dragonball Z which most are used to. Its an adaptation of the original Dragonball series. I find it interesting about the comments about Justin Chatwin being too young, when in the series this is being adapted from I believe Goku was actually 10.

1539~Dragonball-Posters.jpg

Should be interesting to see how close they get to the original since the looks are already changing and I doubt they'll be a tail on Goku at all....

Mortal Kombat movies comes to mind when i think about how bad this movie will end up being.

Some websites claim it to be Dragonball while others call it Dragonball Z.

Some websites claim it to be Dragonball while others call it Dragonball Z.

It is probably a combination of the two, since really, DBZ was just a continuation of DB... in the stills, he is obviously in his late teens or early twenties, which would be more DBZ time-frame.

I read a script review not too long ago. I can't remember the details (if it was even a legit review) but I think this is basically Dragonball/DBZ ala Smallville.

I don't actually have a problem with that. I love DBZ but it certainly could not be translated directly. I'm expecting it to be completely bastardized, but as long as I get to see a live action Kamehameha I think that warrants a ticket from me.

Then again, I once thought the mere sight of Optimus Prime transforming onscreen would be enough to make me happy. So I've been wrong before...

Back