PSP Recommendations?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kabukiman

Greatest Person Ever
Reaction score
I may have happened upon a PSP for ridiculously cheap. I never considered getting one before because it seems that the PSP is just a handheld PS2, and I have no interest in that. If I'm going portable, I prefer the short quirky DS games.

That said, I'm not going to turn down a, basically, free PSP. So I ask:

- What are the A-list titles for PSP?
- I have a PS3. Are there any fancy connectivity shenanigans going on?
- What are the best short/quirky/weird/japanese games out there?
- How's Star Wars Battlefront 2?

It looks like Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core is a good game for PSP, maybe the PSP Battlefront Game (Renegade, not Battlefront II).

There are some stuff with PS3, apparently you can stream content to the PSP and there are a couple of PS3 games where you can actually stream it to the PSP so you can play the game on the PSP, Lair is one of them. Also--just as something interesting, there's some robotic dog thing a company is making that will be able to be remote controlled by a PSP and it has a camera so you'll have the camera view on the PSP<--just kinda cool.

I bought a psp for it's media capabilities and homebrew, but I also enjoy a lot of cool, quirky games on the platform also.

- Lumines and Lumines 2 - If you like japanese puzzlers with great music, Lumines is one of the best.

- WTF - Yes, the game is called "WTF" (Work Time Fun). It's kind of like a deranged, insane Wario Ware type of game. Has tons of wacky minigames. You could definitely classify it as a quirky/weird japanese game.

A-list games? God of War: Chains of Olympus, Crisis Core: FFVII, Daxter, GTA Liberty and Vice City Stories. Lots of great games on the system.

Sorry, haven't tried Star Wars Battlefront II yet, but the reviews indicate that it's very good:

https://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps2/starwarsbattlefront2?q=star wars battlefront 2

and here's a list of all released psp games and lots of review s for each:

https://www.metacritic.com/games/psp/alpha/

You'll definitely find something you like there.

Tekken: Dark Resurection
Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core
Daxter
Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters
God of War: Chains of Olympus
Mega Man Maverick Hunter X
GTA: Liberty City Stories & Vice City Stories
Medal Of Honor: Heroes 2
Twisted Metal
Silent Hill Origins

I have MGS Portable Ops plus and SW: BF2, I love both series but found both games not very appealing.

Thanks for the responses :rock

Despite the recommendations, I started out with Sonic Rivals and Star Trek Tactical Assault. I got both because I'm a total fanboy of both properties (and they were cheap :lol ) But the next purchases will be from the above lists.

I have my PSP connected to my PS3, but it doesn't look like I can do much.

I'm on the hunt for the WTF game mentioned above, but no store around here has even heard of it. That may be one I have to order...

btw, are PSP games region locked?

I think the UMD movies are, but the games aren't. God of War is fantastic, it's the reason for me digging out my PSP a couple of weeks ago, but it's a bit short compared to the PS2 games....looks incredible though.

Daxter and Sypon Filter are very impressive as well oh and LocoRoco and Patapon are pretty damn good as well.

So I ask:

- What are the A-list titles for PSP?
- I have a PS3. Are there any fancy connectivity shenanigans going on?
- What are the best short/quirky/weird/japanese games out there?
- How's Star Wars Battlefront 2?

Japanese game: Loco Rocco--but try to find a demo of it or check it out on YouTube before you buy it, not like most games out there, it's a love it/hate it game.

SW: BF2-just say no, SW:BF2 Renegade Squadron-- buy it. Renegade has multi-player, more and better weapons, you can fight ground actions or space battles, you can customize how your game avatar appears, and you can play Jedi/Sith with light sabers and Force powers.

I just got a brand-new PSP. I got a free Daxter game with it but after I complete that I'll check out some the recommendations suggested here.:rock

I bought the same one a couple weeks ago Carbo. Ice Silver right?

Right now I am playing Final Fantasy Tactics. Loved it on PSOne and I am enjoying it just as much now, ten years later (althou it seems a bit harder, either that or I'm getting old, :lol ).

If you need any help putting Video, Music, or Photos on your PSP let me know.

:)

Try to get psp media manager to put all your video games, movies, music, and photos onto it. It's really an easy to use little program. :)
As for games. I am really behind in buying them. I want to get the new clank game and I have Daxter and a hockey one and a couple of TR games. I really need to get my butt out there and buy some more. But I too heard, prior to this thread, that WoW was amazing. So def look into that.

I bought the same one a couple weeks ago Carbo. Ice Silver right?

Right now I am playing Final Fantasy Tactics. Loved it on PSOne and I am enjoying it just as much now, ten years later (althou it seems a bit harder, either that or I'm getting old, :lol ).

If you need any help putting Video, Music, or Photos on your PSP let me know.

:)

Yep, that's the one.:lol Just playing Daxter right now, almost done. FF tactics will be the next game. I haven't put any videos or music on it yet....but was thinking about uploading movies. Is there any special way to upload them to the PSP, like with the Ipod, all videos have to be in mp4 format?

Is there any special way to upload them to the PSP, like with the Ipod, all videos have to be in mp4 format?

Yupp. Actually the same program Videora iPod Converter works fine for PSP. After you convert them to MPG4 format. Click and drag them from your file they are saved on to your PSP memory stick.

Piece of cake.

Back