KILL BILL

• Thread starter Lookin4Precious
  • Start date
Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

Lookin4Precious

Well, we talked about it in chat a couple nights ago... and just really noticed Dave's icon and it inspired me to start a thread. (This may be long)

Where to start... wow. I (like Dave) view the Kill Bill saga as one film. And one of the best of all time. For those who don't know, it WAS actually one film until 2 months before release. Nobody wanted to cut anything out, but they also didn't know how the public would respond to an almost five hour long revenge epic with a quieter second half. So, Daryl Hannah suggested splitting it in two, seeing as how the narrative and general tone completely shifts at the half way point. So they did... anyway.. on to the movie.

Tarantino does SOOO many things right with this movie. Even when he is blatantly paying homage to those films that inspired him, he is completely in control and it is HIS style and print that we see, not simply a dublicate shot. To list the movies that this film references, in words or with shots, would take pages, however it comes of as completely its own film.

Some things I LOVE...

1. Beatrix Kiddo... not revealing "The Brides" name was not only extremely cool, but it established the charatcer as simply... "The Bride"... a pissed of chick who got screwed on her wedding day and is out for blood. Throughout the movie, prior to learning her name, there are several references to it... several characters call her "Kiddo" which we pay no attention to. Then there is the seemingly pointless but oh so cool exchange of "Silly Rabbit. Trix are..." "For Kids" ... TRIX.... KIDS... BEATRIX KIDDO!! ahhhh... which brings me to my second point...

3. Alluding to the truth. Tarantino gives his audience room to think. Whether it be the conents of Marcelus's briefcase in Pulp Fiction or whether Elle Driver is really dead, he loves to make his audience guess. Whereas other (lesser) directors beat you over the head with who is who and how everyone feels, Tarantino leaves it for us to discover... Point in fact... the relationships between Oren and Beatrix and Elle and Beatirx. Going back to the "trix" exchange before.. this seemingly pointless exchange tells us A LOT about these two characters. Remember, Bea and those that make up her Death List Five were once upon a time all in the same posse. It is obvious that Oren and Bea were friends. The "trix" exchange was probably something they used to say to one another and laugh. Evidence of their friendship can be seen in their battle. An elegant Samurai Sword fight... an art of fighting built on respect for your enemy. After Oren has been cut, the two stare at each other. We see the respect Oren has for Bea, she realizes she is going to die, and she commends Bea and apologizes for ridiculing her (and most likely, also for f!@king her over). There are tears in Bea's eyes as she accepts the apology and realizes that she HAS to settle the score, even though this person in front of her used to be her enemy. SUCH a beautiful scene. Take this and compare it to the Elle and Bea trailer home brawl. A Dirty, no hold bars, bite em, scratch em til their dead (or not?) fight. These two women HATED each other. Even when they were partners, you assume they never liked each other bc of the hate that is between them. Obviously, Elle is a scoundrel (a damn right cool one). She killed Pei-Mei, Killed Budd for a sword and lied to Bill about it and took credit for killing Bea. Bea, as stated before, is honorable. We KNOW they hate each other, just like we KNOW its the opposite with Oren. And NEVER is there a single line of dialouge that says "I love you" or "I hate you". Just great.

3. The funny moments. From Go-Go's silly school girl giggle, to Hatori hanzo's screwball antics in the shushi shop... you can't deny that this brutal revenge epic has its moments of pure humor. Oh, and "Revenge is a dish best served cold" - Old Klingon Proverb HAHAH

4. The emotional parts. From the films opening scene of the bloody brides "last" moments... to watching her wake from her coma to learn her baby is gone... to the first time we see Bea and Bill toghether (my favorite part of the whole thing!!!).... to the excruciating scene where Bea is buried alive... to the Bea seeing her daughter alive. This movie has moments that just sweep you away with raw emotion.

5. The Anime sequence. Nuff Said. BTW, who thinks that Bill is the guy that killed Oren's father? They seem to make a big deal of him, his ring and plus.. it is SO Tarantino to allude to something so ... radical without giving us the satifaction of a definitive.

6. Michael Parks. This guy BLEW my mind. For those who aren't familiar, in Vol 1, her plays the sherrif (Ok, but nothing to write home about) BUT in Vol 2, he plays Senor Esteban Viejo. Knowing that this is the same guy that played a Texan sherriff in Vol 1 makes his brilliant performance as estaban that much more amazing. That entire scene was just brilliant, and both Michael and Uma where firing on all pistons.

7. "You and I have unfinished business." Believe it or not, i didn't realize the first time around that Bea says this to every one on her death list (except Budd, for obvious reasons).

Anyway... i doubt anyone read that whole thing and i've just wasted another night of my life.. haha.. oh well. I just LOVE this movie and CAN'T WAIT for the SE DVD to come out where the movie is put BACK together and plays as one. I don't know exactly what they are going to change... originally, after we see Bill shoot Bea, it cut to her driving (the first thing we see in Vol 2) and arriving at Bills, then goes BACK to Chapter 1 (2). Also, the B&W portion of the "Showdown" is restored to color....

Discuss, tell me what you thought and add to anything I didn't say.

re

Theres a SE coming out?
id given up on the hope of one coming around, when, where, whats on it?
BTW, great review, and also loved the film!
:p

Re: re

Al, my guess would be Christmas. QT loves his DVD's, and the SE is the reason the releases of Vol 1 and 2 are so bare bones. Quentin has said there will be one, it will have the whole movie put back as one whith extras that allude me now. Like I said... I'll expect a release around Christmas....

Wow L4, you really put it under the microscope. Yes, I read every word. Now who is wasting who's time. Rant away. I like it. Having only seen the two parts once and having the film divided for so long between being able to view them, I can't even remember the names or some of the scenes. It is right that it be released as one continuous flick. Maybe I'll even be able to say I own a copy one day. I enjoyed the movies and it made for two great nights out.

All I really have to add is I wish Sideshow could do 1/6 figures from this movie.

Theres a SE coming out?

Yeah, it's been planned from the beginning. QT LOVES loading up DVD's with special features (no doubt owing to his days as a video store clerk).

The plan for the SE is to release the two parts as an edited together version for art house cinemas later this year, with the DVD to follow. I read on the Digital Bits that the DVD has been delayed from August until later this year.

I would imagine that everything from the Japanese version that was cut out in the U.S. wil make it to the R1 DVD.

As much as I love the movie I haven't bought the DVDs, knowing a SE was coming.

Nice analysis L4P, I'd agree all the way. I don't like grindhouse cinema, it bores me, but this homage works on it's own.

QT has proved, make what YOU love and others will love it too. I wish more Hollywood directors would learn that lesson.

Not seen movies or DVD, and was planning to get the double boxset. Sooooo, will the SE be both movies together?????

If so, I'll wait fer that :drool :drool :drool

TC :bonk :eye :bonk

Kill Bill was great, it'd be cool to see it as one whole movie.

The only thing I didn't like was the beeping out of the Bride's name. It was clever to allude to her true name and make it a mystery, and in a subliminal way I thought it made her real name a dirty word. But the beeping was just so harsh it just seamed out of place and took me out of the movie for a bit. Other then that, I thought it was great.

I understand that screamingmetal.. but truthfully.. that's exactly what was supposed to happen. he wanted you to be pulled out.. if you saw it in the theater... i'm sure you heard all the "WHAAAT?" or "HUH?" or just the giggles the first time that happened. You're supposed to realize that hey... i'm not supposed to hear what was just said.... why am i not supposed to know her name.... WHAT IS HER NAME??? I can also understand how that could be annoying, but nevertheless, it was the intended effect.

Well, I've only seen part one and it wasn't bad QT actually directed a movie at least that was ok to watch. I agree with your thoughts on the actions and the thoughts behind the movie Still don't think as a whole he can direct a bowl movement but he at least did ok on this flick.

And one of the best of all time.

I have to SO totally disagree with this. Kill Bill viewed or thought of as one movie I think to most people including myself wouldn't crack the top 100 films of all time let alone one of the best. Part 2 I'm sure is as equally good as part 1 however to say its up on a level with some of the greats like Gone with the Wind, The Ten Commandments,Ben-Hur,The Godfather, and I wouldn't put it on the same level with even the LOTR Trilogy or the OT SW Films. I'd even go as far as to say I wouldn't rank it higher than ROTS. IMO these films or film are good films at best.

Well, Kill Bill makes my top 5.

1. LOTR trilogy
2. Gladiator
3. SW OT trilogy
4. Kill bill vol. 1 and 2
5. Titanic

Most of the above mentioned movies wouldn't make your top 5, but heh, I'm young and not very tall. :p

Bad News on the Specials.

They have ben shelved until late 06.

I will see if I can find the Announcment!

Cheers

That's too bad about not putting the 'special edition' out of these movies til later next year! I was hoping to ask for them for Christmas this year! I love these movies, and think it would be great to watch them as "one movie". QT did a great job on these. I liked them better than I thought I would, there was so much hype around them I figured there was no way they would measure up. But lo and behold, I thought they were awesome! Won't be buying the 'regular' dvds, though, as I must have all the goodies that are coming later! I'll just have to be patient! :banana

I have to SO totally disagree with this. Kill Bill viewed or thought of as one movie I think to most people including myself wouldn't crack the top 100 films of all time let alone one of the best. Part 2 I'm sure is as equally good as part 1 however to say its up on a level with some of the greats like Gone with the Wind, The Ten Commandments,Ben-Hur,The Godfather, and I wouldn't put it on the same level with even the LOTR Trilogy or the OT SW Films. I'd even go as far as to say I wouldn't rank it higher than ROTS. IMO these films or film are good films at best.

Well a film that is simply epic and grand doesn't necessarily stand the test of time and remain great. I think films like Ben Hur and The Ten Commandments, while very good films, do not make it onto many top films of all time themselves. And to say that KB isn't even as good as ROTS, please! ROTS was a really good movie because it gave us another slice of SW space opera... but on its own, as a movie.... you can't sing its praises too loud. Awful dialouge, lousey acting... that alone prevents it from being great, as good as it was. I understand that you, like alot of people don't necessarily like KB or QT Josh, and that's cool. He isn't for everyond. However, you did say you didn't like Pulp Fiction either, and therefore, i can't take you seriously :banana

Re: re: KILL BILL

Pulp Fiction is regarded by most critics and cinestes as one of the best movies of all time. I think the jury is still out on Kill Bill, there were quite a few negative reviews for both sections when the films came out. However I think this is one that will endure and be recognized for it's greatness in the future. Personally, I like it better than Pulp Fiction when looked at as a whole.

Bad News on the Specials.

They have ben shelved until late 06.

From The Digital Bits Rumormill from 5/25/05:
www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html

By the way, we've learned that Quentin Tarantino's Kill Bill: Special Editions, which had very tentatively been planned for release in August, have been delayed until later in the year.

Dassy, the Digital Bits is one of the most reliable news sources around regarding DVD, so I take what they say as the best source for now.

BTW the rumored title for the Special Edition is KILL BILL:THE WHOLE BLOODY AFFAIR

Re: re: KILL BILL

Well a film that is simply epic and grand doesn't necessarily stand the test of time and remain great.

I agree that just because something is grand or epic doesn't mean it will always be looked upon as great. However, I would highly doubt in 50 years or more that KB is ever considered anything but a good to very good film. While the ones I lised above except ROTS most likely :p are looked upon as great films.

I think films like Ben Hur and The Ten Commandments, while very good films, do not make it onto many top films of all time themselves.

Well, maybe not top 10 films but anything more than that I'd have a hard time seeing them not be in a list while I could see KB or PF being left off.

And to say that KB isn't even as good as ROTS, please!

Well, IMO it is! I could watch ROTS 100 times before I would watch either KB or especially PF. I'd watch KB v2 just to see it and see if its ok which I thought the first part was. I've never watched more than I'd say 10 mins of PF.

ROTS was a really good movie because it gave us another slice of SW space opera... but on its own, as a movie.... you can't sing its praises too loud.

As I said by itself I have no problems saying that I thought ROTS was a very good movie and better than any QT flick.

Pulp Fiction is regarded by most critics and cinestes as one of the best movies of all time.

What critics have said this? Not that I care what critics say. I'm sure many fans do like PF but I'm sure most of them are QT fans to begin with as I'm sure the same way with the KB movies.

However I think this is one that will endure and be recognized for it's greatness in the future.

I doubt it. Greatness? I think this word may be tossed around too easily for QT films. We shall see but I'd have to watch KB both volumes t see any greatness in these. Also for these to get to that level he is gonna have to do films that actually reach that level.

All this being said I really can't stand QT. The best thing I've ever seen him do was the season finale of CSI. Why? Cause he had to stay normal I guess. Maybe someday he will be up there with some of the great directors but for what its worth IMO he has a heck of a long way to go.

Thanx for the link to "The Digital Bits" Elwood. That's a good source of info on R1 DVDs :bow :bow :bow

I can't see a link to their newsletter subscriptions page. Anyone help me out please???

TC :bonk :eye :bonk

Back