Lucas on "Crystal Skull" (from ShoWest Q&A with EW)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrishJedi

Super Freak
Reaction score
Notable that he's leaving the door open for another INDY film...

How are you feeling about Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull? Feeling good?

Oh, yeah, we had a great time making it.

Are you nervous about it in any way?

No, no, it's a great film. Will it beat [The Dark Knight]? I don't know. But we'll certainly give Batman a run for their money.

Are you going to do another Indiana Jones movie after this one?

That I don't know. We do these one at a time and we do them purely for the fun of it, which means that if we've got too many other things going on — Steve [Spielberg]'s got a couple more movies, he's got Chicago Seven, he's got all this stuff backed up for years — who knows? At least I'm at a point now where I can just enjoy myself and be creative and not have to worry about people getting crazy or trying to make decisions around me or anything. And I'm to a point now where if it isn't successful, it's not the end of the world. It's always a disappointment when it doesn't turn out, but sometimes you know it's not going to turn out. I've [also]] seen other people's movies that I had really high hopes for — I said, ''Oh, this is going to be great'' — and I'd see it and it is great, but it falls flat and nobody goes to see it. You know, I loved Across the Universe, it's a brilliant film. I wish I had made it — I don't think I'm talented enough to do that. But at the same time, it just [motions like it blew away] pffffff. It's too bad. That's the saddest part right there: Something that you think is really good and should work and people should enjoy it, and they don't.

But you're confident that Indiana Jones will work?

Yeah, well, this one, we know that for the fans it won't be the movie that they have been making in their minds for the last 19 years, so they all get bent out of shape. A lot of the critics forget that they didn't like the first three, and so they get off on this one, too — or it's not the Second Coming. And, yeah, we didn't make it bigger and better, we made it exactly the same. So if you loved the other ones, you'll love this one. But if you expect to have F-14s flying under freeways — that isn't there. It's just another period adventure movie with this wacky archaeologist. It's funny. I think it's funnier than the other ones, and it's exciting. So it's got all the stuff that all the other ones have. And Harrison's great in it.

I do love how Indy is going against Batman yet again!

Batman won the last round in 1989.

$251,188,924 to $197,171,806

yeah, I gotta agree...I'm a bit scared by that comment too...and "wacky archaeologist"? Indy is anything but wacky...

It's starting to feel like this movie might be a bit jam packed with one-line humor...and it really could be an annoying quality.

still, I'll try go into it with few expectations and just enjoy the ride!
Trev

Different time in movies than the last Indy....my expectations are very low for this one.

I'm just going to go in looking to have fun with it and if I do then that makes it worth while 2 me.

I'm sure it will be a good entertaining movie...but whether it's a good INDY movie, well I don't know. I can only hope.

I'm sure it will be a good Indy movie but I'm not expecting him to be doing what he did 19 years ago either.

I would hate for Indy to go out being perceived as that "wacky archaeologist"
guy.

Im going to be honest - no matter how I 'try' to say my expectations are going to be low - if Indy isn't on par with the last 3, Im going to be mighty disappointed. :eek:

And on that front - having Ford sign off on the script makes me think everything will be fine. This isnt an episode I unilateral decision.

I don't particularly want to see something "funnier" than Last Crusade, but in the end I am going to enjoy it for what it is, no matter what.

Im going to be honest - no matter how I 'try' to say my expectations are going to be low - if Indy isn't on par with the last 3, Im going to be mighty disappointed. :eek:

yeah...you know, it's easy to cover up our concerns with thoughts of going into it all with 'low expectations' (I said it on the first page after all!)...but I'm going to be a sad little geek if it isn't as good as the others....

We'll see what we think after trailer #2....
Trev

Oh, ye of little faith.

Trust In Spielberg.

The man hasn't made many bad movies in his 30+ year career... and it's been at least 10 years since his last one ("The Lost World").

Seriously, it's easy to get all cynical about the movie with things like Lucas' comments, but remember who is making this picture on the ground. It's not GWL with Rick McCallum and his other Yes-Men. It's Spielberg with Frank Marshall, Kathleen Kennedy, et al. Will it be everything we hope it to be? Who knows. But I for one don't think these folks are even capable of making a "Phantom Menace".

T.I.S. Trust In Spielberg.

No. "War of The Worlds" isn't perfect, but it's a good movie and I'd still prefer it over 99% of the big budget Summer flicks out there.

Aren't you forgetting War of the Worlds? :monkey3 :rotfl

Yea, but War of the Worlds wasn't an Indy property. It was just tom cruise being a psycho was crappy special effects. This is Indiana Jones we're talking about.

I for one didn't think Last Crusade was that hokey. I think it had its funny moments, but they worked well with the flow of the movie. I think there is a threshold you can pass that goes from funny to wacky, but I don't think KoTCS will pass it.

Yeah, I'd blame most of WoW on Tommy Boy. He's nucking futs and isn't a very good actor anymore.

I trust in Spielberg.

Back