Dark Horse Indy & other written works

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck20

Super Freak
Reaction score
I don't know about you all, but as you can probably tell from my avatar, I'm a HUGE comic book fan. I actually got started in the early 90's reading the licensed comic books dark horse was doing including Star Wars and such (mainly Star Wars) I also know that Dark Horse did some Indy comic books and have finally gotten around to re-releasing them. https://www.amazon.com/Indiana-Jone...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1205466692&sr=8-1
and
https://www.amazon.com/Indiana-Jones-Omnibus-2-Various/dp/1593079532/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b

I wanted to know if any of you guys had read these and what your opinions of the stories were. I'm also about to dive into the Indiana Jones and the Peril at Delphi novel I've had sitting on my shelf for 10+ years.

What a great time to be an Indidana Jones fan...:chew

I've been considering picking up the Omnibus too. I'm way behind in my comic books though so it will probably be awhile before I get to it...

Who is the novel written by?

Rob Macgregor apparently. I have always seemed suspicious of the concept of an Indy novel, and how it would tow the line between being action packed without being totally outlandish, not to mention charicterization. Indy is such a defined character thanks to Harrison Ford. I think comic books would have an easier time, simply being a much more appropirate medium for those types of stories.

Indy (and Young Indy) comics kept me going until Dark Horse started doing Star Wars. I liked how they were able to explore other mythical concepts the movies didn't get around to (eg Atlantis, the Spear of Destiny)

I've read all the Indy Dark Horse stuff and enjoyed them all. The Fate of Atlantis is my favorite with Spear of Destiny as a close second. Shrine of the Sea Devil is the weakest one but is still fun.

Here are my ratings on the stories:

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis: *****
Indiana Jones: Thunder in the Orient: ***
Indiana Jones and the Arms of Gold: ****
Indiana Jones and the Golden Fleece: ***
Indiana Jones and the Shrine of the Sea Devil: **
Indiana Jones and the Iron Phoenix: ****
Indiana Jones and the Spear of Destiny: *****
Indiana Jones and the Sargasso Pirates: ***

I think I've read them all. None of them felt quite right to me. Kind of like the Marvel Star Wars. It's in the ballpark but doesn't hit the mark.

OIf course, I feel the same way about Young Indiana Jones Chronicles.

One of my favorites is the first couple of issues of the Marvel Comics Further Adventures of Indiana Jones that I think were drawn by John Byrne.

Thanks for the authors name. I found a few copies of the book, check back in and let us know how it is. If it's good I may pick it up.

Good to hear that about the DH Indy stuff, glad to hear it sounds pretty good. I'll pick up the omnibus this week and work on the novel too. I'll give capsul reviews of all when i finish. Thanks! :D

I'm going to have to go through my "archives"-- (nothing like where they stored the Ark I can assure you) cause I've got about five or six Indy comics from the early-mid 80's besides the usual movie ones.

Anyone else have those ones?... I think they were Marvel so they might be what you were referring to chewblacca. It's been a long time since I've looked at them... Maybe twenty years.:lol

Yep, that sounds like the Marvel series. It'd be great if Dark Horse did a TPB or two of Marvel's "Further Adventures", like they did with the Marvel Star Wars series.

Yep, that sounds like the Marvel series. It'd be great if Dark Horse did a TPB or two of Marvel's "Further Adventures", like they did with the Marvel Star Wars series.

Yes they are... dusted off the crates and while they were hidden deep within the catacombs by the government I unearthed my 1983 collection of Marvel's Further Adventures of Indiana Jones. (In addition to Issue #1 and 3--in relative good condition-- of Raiders and the "graphic" novel version of ToD).

Here are the ones I've got (and am now going to read with some za and cold beer...ah the life of a husband/father on a Saturday :D)..

3224-23032-1-further-adventures-o_150.jpg

3224-23118-1-further-adventures-o_150.jpg

3224-23290-1-further-adventures-o_150.jpg

3224-23452-1-further-adventures-o_150.jpg

3224-23626-1-further-adventures-o_150.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, memories!

I've recently been rediscovering Indy comics (and others) in digital form. Convenient, but not quite the same as the musty old hard copies.

Ah, memories!

I've recently been rediscovering Indy comics (and others) in digital form. Convenient, but not quite the same as the musty old hard copies.

You can say that again-- and you know you're old when the comics you had (25 years ago!!!)look, feel, and smell like those ol' musty ones you used to read from the 60's. I've got some comics my uncle had (Buck Rogers, Star Trek, Rin Tin Tin, The Avengers, Man From Uncle etc... ) and now my collection is looking like how I first remember these comics when I was exposed to them.:monkey2 Time flying by sucks.

But it is good to reread them... funny how much I remember as each page comes flooding back as I must have read these cover to cover more times than I can recall.:D

Wow, I completely forgot about the dark horse star war series. I think there were 6. I have them all, bagged and boarded, that I picked up as a teen back in the early 90's.

This thread makes me want to go back and reread them. No Indy stuff unfortunately.

I'm going to have to go through my "archives"-- (nothing like where they stored the Ark I can assure you) cause I've got about five or six Indy comics from the early-mid 80's besides the usual movie ones.

Anyone else have those ones?... I think they were Marvel so they might be what you were referring to chewblacca. It's been a long time since I've looked at them... Maybe twenty years.:lol

Yep have the whole series run, I think they made it a total of about 35 issues before the series was cancelled

398px-Ikammanen1.jpg

398px-Ikammanen2.jpg

Wow, I completely forgot about the dark horse star war series. I think there were 6. I have them all, bagged and boarded, that I picked up as a teen back in the early 90's.

This thread makes me want to go back and reread them. No Indy stuff unfortunately.

Sounds like you're referring to Dark Empire, the original (and best) Dark Horse Star Wars series. There have been plenty more since then - you have some catching up to do!

Back