BATMAN BEGINS

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

hulkfan

Well, the wife and I went to see Batman last night.... I had high hopes, my wife didn't know what to expect (she's never really enjoyed any of the previous renditions)..... And, to summarize, our verdict is:

Two thumbs WAY THE @&$# UP!!!!!

This was possibly my favorite comic based movie I've ever seen. Actually, that's an odd statement, as through the entire film I didn't feel like I was watching a comic book movie at all.... I could be crazy, talking out of my arse... Maybe I was in an 'easy to please' mood last night...? I dunno. All I can say is, this was a PHENOMENAL film, and makes me instantly forget that any other Batman movie ever existed (even the first Burton effort which I always mildly enjoyed). Even my wife, who said that she's always just thought the whole idea of Batman was just too hoaky, was floored by this movie. She couldn't stop talking about it.

The performances and casting: PERFECT.
The art direction and cinematography: PERFECT
The Villains: PERFECT
The character development: OUTSTANDING ---- Note, this is much more a "Bruce Wayne" movie than it is a "Batman" movie, something I was surprised by. In every other Bats film, Bruce Wayne was always a barely-developed, boring character.... I was always just waiting for Batman to show up and get the action started. In this film, Bruce is so well developed and interesting, you can't take your eyes off him. The appearance of Batman (which, incidentally, doesn't even show up until about 2/3rds thru the film) is just an added bonus.

Everything about this movie kicked arse.... I can't recommend it highly enough. And that's saying a lot, as I literally NEVER praise movies this highly.... But, I have faith this is going to be a hit with everyone. I hope they do sequels, and I hope they are made by the same crew.... They knocked this sucker out of the park. Oh, and another thing, this movie is DARK! Some seriously frightening moments.... This is not a Batman for the kiddies...

Anyway, not to build it up too much.....:) There is way too much to say about it, but I'll let you all decide for yourselves... Meanwhile I'll be planning my next trip to the theater. Gotta go see this again, as many times as I can before War of the Worlds debuts anyway. ;)

GO SEE IT!

Andy

Lucky SOB seeing it early! Everything I've seen about this movie makes me want to see it more. I expect I'll see it a couple of times this weekend. Unfortunately I can't go until Saturday. :(

I can't wait to see it. Glad to hear its dark again like Burton's films and not the techno, bright and super modern Gotham like in Batman and Robin :puke

If they do a sequal(s), who would you want be the villan(s)? I think Joker is an obvious choice, but would love to see some lesser done villans (Scarecrow and Ra's in this film). I've always been a big Two-Face fan so I'd love to see him in a sequal, maybe played by Willem Defoe (Green Goblin).

Does Adam West have a cameo?

Hey HF, since you loved it so much - perhaps you can try and get SSC to make a stab at the 1/4 scale license for it. Seems everyone and their brother are doing 1/6 scale, but 1/4 ought to be unique enough. After all, Marvel owns Toybiz and you're doing that...

And then they can go for the Reeve Superman....

Sounds great! I've heard so many good things about this movie, that I've got to see it now. I will have to wait until Sunday to get my fix of Batman. :banana

This is very good news indeed! I truthfully wasn't expecting too much with this one, I suppose the actual movie has been somewhat overshadowed by Ms. Holmes and couch jumping on Oprah. :sick

Dave, I wish... Sideshow doesn't need my encouragement to go after DC stuff, they're all bigger fans than myself as it is. But, DC won't budge. They just won't license out their collectibles. :\

Have to agree. Saw it this mornign at it WAS amazing! I LOVE Burton's Batman films, but they are cartoony, campy fun. Nolan somehow portrayed Bruce Wayne, and the entire Batman mythos with SO MUCH conviction and skill, that we totally belief and rationalize his decision to become "Batman." The acting in this movie is SUPERB! Every single actor does an amazing job, like each of the other elements of this film, bringing the entire experience to that of pure movie goodness. Easily the best movie i've seen this year!

Avoiding Spoilers herein, however I will say that the VERY end is SOOOO UBER COOL!

I just saw it and it was GREAT! Best Batman yet. I didn't see Adam West in it (don't know if he is), but I think I saw Michael Keaton (Burton's Batman) in a crowd shot towards the end of the film. It was quick, but I think it is him.

Umm, didn't see Adam West either, though I am pretty sure he IS in it. However, Michael Keaton I doubt. I just don't see him being involved, seeing as how he said he wished they weren't doing it and he wouldn't see it. Not because he is pissed, he just said he wasn't interested. But i could be wrong. But yeah, GREAT flick.

Tried to see it tonight - all but the last show were sold out. :( So I haven't seen it yet.

re

Sounds like a must see - high praise all round. Christian Bale's a great actor - loved him in American Psycho.

From what I've heard, Bale's already signed up for the next film along with Nolan. Supposedly a quick turnaround planned (like the Spiderman movies). Should hit cinemas in 18 months time. So far it's been suggested that the sequel will feature the Joker but, like Batman in this film, a much darker, deeper character than seen before. Early days though...

Re: re

I have a been a Bale fan since Equilibirum, and man did he pull it off both as Bruce Wayne, and as the Dark Knight - it is by far the greatest portrayal to date! :rock

There's not a lot else for me to say, but... watch the damn movie - it will speak for itself! ;)

One thing though, on the topic of acting - child actors are absolutely horrible, and they could not convince a deaf and blind person.

But this kid that plays the Young Bruce Wayne (Gus Lewis) delivers a stellar performance! I mean, he pulls off more emotion in his short scene than anakin/padme could throughout an entire epic 'tragedy'.. :lol He sure has a bright future anyway...

Speaking of... you should see Christian Bale in Empire of the Sun - he did a wonderful job as a child. :bat

I saw Empire of the Sun a while back (just didn't recognise the film by the name)...I had no idea that was Christian Bale!

:google

Actually, Bale and a few others i believe signed on for TWO more movies. I don't know if Nolan did, because there is speculation that he might not be back. That is only because he said he doesn't know what he is doing next and never things about the future while in the middle of working on one film. My guess, he'll be back for AT LEAST the next one and probably the third!

For those who don't know... SPOILERS AHEAD...

as seen at the end, the Villain in the second film will be the Joker. Names being tossed around right now include Crispin Glover, Adrien Brody, Mark Hammil and others. NON of these have had any real confirmation, but all are being discussed avidly by the fans. The second film will also introduce the character Harvey Dent, setting him up for the third film's villain when he becomes Two-Face. My guess is Scarecrow will be back also (and GREAT bc Cillian did an AMAZING job!)

Finally saw it! I really liked the original Burton film but after watching this one I felt that Burton's was a big cake that was mostly frosting and this film was a big juicy steak with a loaded baked potato on the side.

I had problems with it; including Cillian Murphy being way too young for Crane, the action editing was choppy and difficult to follow and I didn't like how the cowl looked on him. But these are small nits in a great story with great characters and Bale really brings Bruce to life.

I also love what they did with the mythology...
SPOILERS

The development of his team - Gordon, Alfred, Fox was great and it's more realistic than him doing it all himself. I also thought Gotham was great looking - more realistic than the gothic design of Burton's, but still obviously a fantasy environment.

Back