'Beverly Hills 90210: The New Class'?!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mike

In the Pixels
Reaction score
Ugh. :rolleyes:

"90210" spinoff on fast track By Nellie Andreeva

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - The most popular zip code on television is back.

The CW network is developing a contemporary spinoff of Aaron Spelling's seminal 1990s teen soap "Beverly Hills, 90210," sources said.

Details on the project -- including which if any of the characters on the original series will make the transition to the spinoff -- remain sketchy.

The spinoff, which is close to getting a writer, has been put on the fast track by the network. It is expected to decide whether to order a pilot by the end of the month.

According to sources, "Beverly Hills, 90210" creator Darren Star is not involved.

This would be the second spinoff from the series about privileged teens living in Beverly Hills, which aired on Fox from 1990-2000. The first one, the Star-created "Melrose Place," had a successful seven-year run on Fox. It didn't feature any major characters from "Beverly Hills."

A teen soap set in posh Beverly Hills would be a perfect companion to the CW's buzzworthy freshman drama "Gossip Girl," which revolves around rich teens living in Manhattan.

Spinoffs are hot this development season. Fox is developing two: "Cleveland," centered on the henpecked character from the hit animated comedy "Family Guy," and a "Prison Break" offshoot set at a female prison.

Last year, ABC spun off its medical juggernaut "Grey's Anatomy" into "Private Practice."

The CW also has a spinoff on its schedule, the "Girlfriends" offshoot "The Game."

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

In news that will appeal to my friends' older sisters fifteen years ago, the CW network has plans to fight for relevancy by developing a spin-off to '90s teen soap Beverly Hills 90210. Details as to whether any of the original actors, sideburns, or zip codes will reprise their roles are still scarce. But if none of the actors return, and it's only a spin-off in that it's about California's rich 30-somethings posing as high schoolers, isn't that just an even lamer The OC? I can only see this being decent if they do it Saved by the Bell-style, getting Ian Ziering to return as the principal's nerdy, semi-retarded assistant. Or, since the actors are probably in their 40s, they're just about the right age for 90210: The College Years.

Is there nothing new to explore on TV?

They should make it interesting at least, something along the lines of:

CSI:Beverly Hills 90210: The Next Class

or

Law and Order:Beverly Hills 90210: The Next Class

or

Stargate:Beverly Hills 90210: The next Class.
or

Star trek DS9 the next Generation of Voyager:Beverly Hills 90210: The next Class.:monkey3

"Or, since the actors are probably in their 40s, they're just about the right age for 90210: The College Years."

Weren't they in their 40's the first time around??

This wasn't bad back in the day for what it was but doing something like this now is pretty darn dumb.

Is there a creative mind's strike going on in Hollywood, or are there just no original thoughts left?

I actually enjoyed the old ones in the beginning but I was also the same age range as the characters were.

Plus Kelly was hot:monkey5:monkey5:monkey5:monkey5:monkey5

I can see it with the original cast as parents of new teens and do it OC-style with a little edge and humor. I never got into the show and the OC lost me when it started getting more soapy, but a teen oriented show with the original cast would bring the kids in who enjoy Gossip Girl (actually a decent show) and also the original fans.

I will just admit that I loved the first one. :eek: I was also in 4th through 8th or 10h grade though too. :eek::eek::eek:

I will admit that Gossip Girl is a guilty pleasure of my wife and I and we got caught up in it similar to The OC hype when that started. Well more about this show has been announced for those who are following....The tagline:

"If you wanna live in the Zip, you gotta live by the Code"

26529-90210_600x250.jpg

We get the Beverly Hills life entrance through the young newbies Dixon and Annie Mills (The Brandon and Brenda Walsh molds with an interesting twist since they aren't twins) with Lori Loughlin playing their mother Debbie or Celia (Conflicting information on CW's own site), the family is uprooted from Kansas City to Beverly Hills.

https://cwtv.com/cw-video/90210/short/?play=511-3758 (video clips)

Here is the weird thing. Instead of replacing the original they are seeming to add to it? Based on this news:

"We're confident that the new '90210' will be the most buzzed-about series of any this fall," Ostroff said.

In an interview before the presentation, Ostroff said the plan is for original "90210" characters to be popping in for a visit on the spinoff.

"We've been speaking to most (original cast members), and they're interested in one way or another," she said.

Doherty In Talks To Reprise Beverly Hills, 90210 Role
posted by Jay Cocrock in Television at 07:57 PM on 2008.07.02
ShareThis

SHANNEN DOHERTY is in talks to return to her role in the BEVERLY HILLS, 90210 for the forthcoming spin-off show. The actress has been approached by TV bosses eager for her to revive her portrayal of good girl Brenda Walsh in the new version of the hit Aaron Spelling teen drama.

EntertainmentWeekly.com reports that Doherty is demanding more money to consider reprising the role, and wants to know the plotlines for her character well in advance before signing to the series.

A representative for the star tells Usmagazine.com, "Yes, Shannen is in discussions with the CW to be on the new Beverly Hills 90210."

Doherty, who reportedly clashed with co-stars and TV bosses in the original series, was fired from the show in 1994.

Last edited:
These aren't supposed to be High School kids, right? :confused:

All except the mother in the yellow dress and the grandmother in the pink jacket. The rest I believe are supposed to be West Beverly High School freshmen

Back