No HD Indy KOTCS? Say It Isn't So

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DouglasMcc

Super Freak
Reaction score
Meanwhile, JoBlo reports that Paramount is informing theaters that per Steven Spieberg's orders, the film will NOT be available in digital format and that complexes who can't project 35mm format let them know.

Thus those hoping to check the film out in high-res digital projection, I'm afraid you're out of luck. It also makes one wonder about not just this film's but the original trilogy's fate on the Blu-ray format.

https://www.darkhorizons.com/news08/080228b.php

I loved Indy for it's hearkening back to the classic serial feel ... but why the Hell do I have to watch it on one of those original projectors? Okay, that's hyperbole. But, it saddens me that the 1080P trailer I watched on my monitor will probably be the best viewing I have of the film for some time to come. Steven, if you are going to work with George, couldn't you adopt some of his good ideas too? -----> Big Screen DLP goodness with Skywalker sound!

You do know that film still has better picture quality, and more lines of resolution than digital, right?

Yay for Spielberg!!!!

He still edits on film and won't use digital editing suites either. A Pixar film is fine digitally, but anything live-action looks far, far better on film. Unless it's Star Wars and Georgie spends untold Dollars getting that film look on his digital versions.

Film is better.

In a perfect world, true. Unfortunately, we live in world where many of the theaters have upgraded to DLP. And, the few places that do keep non-digital film projectors tend to relegate it to that corner screen - you know, the one that's half the size and only exists because the designers didn't need another closet. Sorry, but the majority of these theaters will be pulling a projector out of moth balls to show this film, at least around here. And, if that's my option, well, I am not going to bluff, I will see the film even if it's projected onto the back of a barn. But, I know it would look better in digital.

And, I am more concerned about getting all 4 films on Blu-Ray in a timely fashion (i.e. when KOTCS hits DVD).

The non-digital theater in my town is a crummy little place that smells like feet. But thats why I never see good movies in here, I always take the drive to a bigger city and make a day of it.

The non-digital theater in my town is a crummy little place that smells like feet. But thats why I never see good movies in here, I always take the drive to a bigger city and make a day of it.

There's your solution right there. Find a theater you like and go there. When SW was re-released I went up to the Zeigfield in NYC to see it. I still drive around to different theaters in my area depending on what movie it is and how much I care about the presentation.

And I'm totally with you Trev, pops and grainy texture are all part of the beauty for films like this one.

This isn't really a big deal, even if it was in digital it would still be available in the film theaters.

Really what's good about the digital projectors is that there isn't distortion, since something projected will have a bit of distortion but since it's digital they can fix that. Plus it doesn't jiggle around, and there's no dust and scratches.

As far as differences, shooting in digital gives a lot of advantages over regular film, like viewing distance, color, and noise reduction. It also allowed Lucas to send off shots immediately to be edited and worked with effects right after shooting which can't be done with film since it has to be scanned into the computer for effects and if the editing is with the computer.

And yeah, movie theater resolution is about 4x the size of 1080p. I think IMAX is like at least 4x larger than that.

In other news, George Lucas had a heart attack over the Sbielberg decree....

If I cannot find this on a decent screen, I will just wait for DVD

I wanted to see this with a large crowd, and the largest auditoriums in the cineplex have already been outfitted with DLP projectors. I am apparently going to see this one in the little screening room that holds 75 people because that's one of the only ones left in the building that hasn't upgraded to digital technology.

I wanted to see this with a large crowd, and the largest auditoriums in the cineplex have already been outfitted with DLP projectors. I am apparently going to see this one in the little screening room that holds 75 people because that's one of the only ones left in the building that hasn't upgraded to digital technology.

That's how I feel. Also, as for 1080P, I was refering to the eventual ... at least I had assumed eventual, Blu-Ray release. I know we will have to wait forever for Blu-Ray Star Wars, but figured we would get Indy and the OT Indy day and date with the Crystal Skull DVD release. Now, who even knows.

P.S. I have seen the same movies on DLP projector system and "film" projectors. Which had the better picture? First weekend of release? Film. 2 weeks later after the print has been run through the grinder? DLP and the difference is comparable to watching the same feed through rabbit ears and digital cable. Sure, it could be the crappy "film" projectors and the high school kids they hire to run them ... but it's not a pretty picture in my area.

Thus those hoping to check the film out in high-res digital projection, I'm afraid you're out of luck. It also makes one wonder about not just this film's but the original trilogy's fate on the Blu-ray format.

I loved Indy for it's hearkening back to the classic serial feel ... but why the Hell do I have to watch it on one of those original projectors? Okay, that's hyperbole. But, it saddens me that the 1080P trailer I watched on my monitor will probably be the best viewing I have of the film for some time to come. Steven, if you are going to work with George, couldn't you adopt some of his good ideas too? -----> Big Screen DLP goodness with Skywalker sound!

That's how I feel. Also, as for 1080P, I was refering to the eventual ... at least I had assumed eventual, Blu-Ray release. I know we will have to wait forever for Blu-Ray Star Wars, but figured we would get Indy and the OT Indy day and date with the Crystal Skull DVD release. Now, who even knows.

Huh?

It sounds like you need to do a little research on HD formats vs. film...either you are confused or are confusing me with what you are trying to say in your posts.

Last edited:
Yeah, there's nothing about film that makes it non-HD or unable to go to Blu-Ray release. Most films now were shot on film and still have a release on Blu-Ray or HD-DVD at regular time, the they just have to run it through a machine that will scan the frames of film into the computer. Digital versions is just like watching it from regular computer projector rather than something shining light through film.

I'm thrilled about this, myself. I want pops and grainy texture and all that old-time movie goodness.

Trev

Want to know a really nerdy thing I do sometimes? I turn the color all the way down, and watch RAIDERS in black & white while I'm working. I'll mess with contrast and brightness to try to equate the picture quality of an older film. It's stupid, I know, but it's fun.

Someday I'll get some DVD-ripping software, and get the whole film on a computer, then run it through Adobe After-Effects or some post-production software, and make a b&w RAIDERS with emulsion scratches, flicker, the works.

-AH!

Back