What to do about Ebay sellers who don't accept Paypal?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

elwood49

I've been following a few Ebay auctions that I'd LOVE to bid on, but the seller doesn't accept Paypal. Isn't that the only way to get any real protection on my expensive Sideshow purchases? What is the risk of sending a money order, even if the seller has 100% feeback and has sold Sideshow items previously?

I've been told that Ebay protection is next to nothing, so what is the consensus on this? The seller obviously wants to avoid Paypal fees, but this offers me no recourse if the deal goes south. To bid or not to bid, that is the question...

I agree with Diesel, if your not completely happy then don't do it, especially with a high value piece.

Personally I don't bid or Auctions which don't accept pay-pal.
Its just IMO eBay can be scary enough to use what with there being so many scammers, I feel that at least with pay-pal you have a little added protection.

Just my way of doing things

shell
x
:toast :gimli

I can certainly understand not taking Paypal from a seller's perspective. With all the ebay fees that little extra to Paypal is just a little too much. But the convenience of it is just too good to pass up. I'd say if they have a spotless, longterm feedback and a track record with those kinds of items that it's perfectly safe. I sold on ebay long before paypal and it used to be money orders or personal checks only. Had 2 problems in maybe 200 transactions.

I'd say if they have a spotless, longterm feedback and a track record with those kinds of items that it's perfectly safe. I sold on ebay long before paypal and it used to be money orders or personal checks only. Had 2 problems in maybe 200 transactions.

I bought/sold on Ebay long before Paypal also. It was so long ago that I don't even remember my username :lol (I started it in 1999, I think).

The seller in question has sold a Bilbo to a member here and has a high rating of 100% feedback on these types of transactions. I MAY take a chance if the auction stays where it is right now. I'm sorry to be vague about the seller, but I don't want any lurkers to jump in on the good deal if I do decide to get the item. To give you idea of the price range, I will say that the price is $250-$450 to depending on how high the auction goes.

I usually only buy from sellers who use paypal but I don't think it should have to be any kind of mandatory thing.

I was burned on a MO once, but I also found out after the auction ENDED that the address was a PO Box :bang . As long as you are sending to payment to a physical location, there are some adequate forms of protection. But seeing as though the feedback seems to be there, I wouldn't be too concerned. You can always get Lasher on the case. :banana

i sell on eBay, but don't have Paypal. i can only accept money orders or personal checks. and i pay using the same methods. i have never had one bad transaction. :rock

I've bought poly from a non-Paypal seller before. He has 100% feedback, of course. The auctions tend to end lower, because of the inconvienience or whatever. But that, I like! :)

Well, I won the auction! I got a Fell Beast waaay below market value. $319! I got Goth on Warg and the Fell Beast in the past week for a combined $541 shipped, so that's not THAT much more than retail when combined.

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI...%3AIT&rd=1

My mini-beasts display will be complete!!! (Fell Beast, Baby 'Rog, Shelob, Battle Troll, Mumak):banana :banana :banana

Although now that I think about it, the Daddy 'Rog is technically a mini. Sigh..... Maybe one day when I have some real money I'll sell the Baby and get the Daddy.

Although now that I think about it, the Daddy 'Rog is technically a mini. Sigh..... Maybe one day when I have some real money I'll sell the Baby and get the Daddy.

Agreed! He is a mini, for obvious reasons, but a big mini. That's one of the reasons I kept the Battle Troll on order- I have the rog next to fell beast right now and I love it, I think the BT will enhance the display further. (maybe not though, as the fellbeast and rog are really similar in their dark and sharp shapes)

Being on the other side of the fence, I am tired of 'Paypal Only' sellers. Some of the best deals(and greatest horror stories) include the words 'Pay Pal'.

There should be no problems with non-Paypal sellers. After all, eBay started out without Paypal. Isn't that what the feedback scores are for? It seems odd that anyone would prefer it from domestic buyers.

If you are intelligent enough to cash a check, you should have no problems with PMOs...or personal checks for that matter.

Everyone is in such a hurry these days, they seem to have no time for using a little common sense.

The big question is:What to do about 'Paypal Only' sellers?

Everyone is in such a hurry these days, they seem to have no time for using a little common sense.

Huh? I must disagree with this completely. Let me walk you through the process I went through yesterday to pay for this item.

1. I address an envelope at home with a note explaining the item I am paying for.

2. I go to the Post Office and get the money order for the correct amount.

3. I then drive down the street to a copy center to copy the M.O., letter, and envelope to prove that I sent it.

4. I return to the Post Office to fill out a certified mail slip.

5. I mail the letter.

6. Now I have to wait an extra week for the item to ship. I also only get protection from Ebay in the amount of $200 should the transaction go bad. If I used Paypal, then they cover up to $1000 plus my bank will offer me the full protection of my credit card.

I will ALWAYS only accept Paypal from anyone in my auctions. I get paid the same day, and can use the money immediately for a tiny fee. Paypal fees are so small that they really have no impact. I think the largest fee I ever paid on an item was like $75 on a $1,400 sale. Small price to pay for the ability to sell worldwide and get the money immediately, IMO.

Yeah, I like using PayPal as a seller and buyer basically for the reasons Elwood stated. It allow my item when I buy to get shipped that day or the day after 99% of the time, and if I'm the seller it allows the same just in reverse. Its not that I'm in a hurry as Masoken states but I just dont see the point of going through the extra work of getting a M.O. if I can pay online.

"1. I address an envelope at home with a note explaining the item I am paying for.

2. I go to the Post Office and get the money order for the correct amount.

3. I then drive down the street to a copy center to copy the M.O., letter, and envelope to prove that I sent it.

4. I return to the Post Office to fill out a certified mail slip.

5. I mail the letter.

6. Now I have to wait an extra week for the item to ship."

What a horrific experience! LOL.

And your point?

A tiny amount of work is worth $75.00.

About common sense: A PMO is protection from all kinds of dangers including ID theft. Anytime you use personal checks or direct account access, you endanger your whole economic future.

BTW PayPal/ebay has direct access to all your personal info.

:mwaha

What a horrific experience! LOL.

And your point?

I work during the week, so I don't have time to do something like that. The only reason I did yesterday is because I haven't started my new job yet. Once that starts, I won't have time to do such things.

A tiny amount of work is worth $75.00.

Wasting an hour out of the day sure isn't worth $75.00 to ME. I'd bill my clients $125 or so for that same amount of work. Paypal all the way! Point, click, and payment is complete.

you don't have to do all those 6 steps to get a money order. all you have to do is go to the Post Office, get the money order, fill it out, put it in an envelope, and mail it. ;)

you don't have to do all those 6 steps to get a money order. all you have to do is go to the Post Office, get the money order, fill it out, put it in an envelope, and mail it.

I would highly advise against that, and yes I have learned that the hard way...:puke

Back