Why is it "Sequels First" with Hot Toys?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr.Mirakle32

Super Freak
Reaction score
One interesting trend I noticed with Hot Toys, is that when they get the licence to a multi-film franchise, they tend to make figures from the sequels before getting to characters from the original. For example, 1/6th scale figs from AVP, and ALIENS were the first released, and we are only just getting characters from the original ALIEN. We already have three figures from PREDATOR 2, and are still waiting for evidence of original PREDATOR figures.

It also extends to other lines. A RAMBO:FB II figure was made before any of the FIRST BLOOD versions.

Is it because these sequels are more popular, and they view them as having more iconic characters/variations, or is it because they want to practice a little bit with the sculpting and what not, before they deliver the definitive versions of the original characters?

What do you think?

One interesting trend I noticed with Hot Toys, is that when they get the licence to a multi-film franchise, they tend to make figures from the sequels before getting to characters from the original. For example, 1/6th scale figs from AVP, and ALIENS were the first released, and we are only just getting characters from the original ALIEN. We already have three figures from PREDATOR 2, and are still waiting for evidence of original PREDATOR figures.

It also extends to other lines. A RAMBO:FB II figure was made before any of the FIRST BLOOD versions.

Is it because these sequels are more popular, and they view them as having more iconic characters/variations, or is it because they want to practice a little bit with the sculpting and what not, before they deliver the definitive versions of the original characters?

What do you think?

Have you ever heard the saying, "Save the best for last?" It could be the same thing here. They wait it out and see how the lesser of the movie versions do... if they sell well.. why not sell the inevitable top seller for last?

Just a hunch. I think they want to hold on to their collectors as much as possible. Lets face it, it's usually the original movie that starts the franchise, that also just so happens to be the best movie more often-than-not. People want figures based on the best movie property. Hot Toys making collectors wait is very smart strategic marketing.

i think sequels are probably the cheaper license to aquire. if the toys didn't sell, then HT wont pony up the extra cash for the original.

Either way it's smart. Toys from the original movies are the versions that the majority of collectors want and these toy companies know that. Why sell all the best figures immediately in a line, just to stiffle themselves with lack of interest from their consumer base, with characters that aren't high on their lists, if at all?

Its probably a marketing ploy to screw impatient fans out of money. They release the less popular figures 1st, getting the impatient fans, who don't want to wait or are afraid that perhaps they(HT) will not get the license to the more wanted figures, to pony up the money. Then, once they have squeezed us for every last penny on variation after variation(read: battled damaged) they release the most wanted figures last.

Yeah, I like that theory best. Its got a nice conspiracy feel to it:D

Its probably a marketing ploy to screw impatient fans out of money. They release the less popular figures 1st, getting the impatient fans, who don't want to wait or are afraid that perhaps they(HT) will not get the license to the more wanted figures, to pony up the money. Then, once they have squeezed us for every last penny on variation after variation(read: battled damaged) they release the most wanted figures last.

That's pretty much what I said! You just used different words. Bah!

there is ALOT of truth to this. i love the company, but there is a lot of annoyance in an announcement for a BETTER figure (BD predator 2), to be announced only AFTER the original predator is sold out.

still love hot toys though. the elder predator 2 is off the hook!! along with the other 13 figures i have of them. my wallet wants a divorce.

I'm sure part of it is that, for the most part, fans tend to have more love for the original film in any series, and therefore will in turn look for the best of the best when it comes to representing that film.

How many people ultimately found the lack of film accurracy on the ALIENS warrior liveable, but will not be so forgiving if an ALIEN figure doesn't come out film accurrate?

I'd wager most, like myself, want a Hot Toys Predator 1 figure to be their best Predator ever.

Smart investment in a license says work out the bugs with the lesser characters/films, then you'll have feedback to make the more important ones their best.

I would say its because sequels are easyer to get a license for and also it would be harder for them to sell sequel figures if the sold the original first

ask youself this

would you have gotten the AvP figures of you had already purchased the Alien/Aliens and Predator 1-2 figures

Doubtfull

Last edited:
Assuming that HT wants to put out figures from all of the movies in a series, I can't think of a single reason why it would make sense to start with the first movie in the series. As people have pointed out, it's likely cheaper to get the license to the sequels, and they can test the market and make the line last longer if they start with the sequels. The only reason they might want to start with the original movie is if they thought it likely that they would only do that movie and stop.

One interesting question, though, is why they started with AVP on the Predator side, but Aliens on the Alien side. Certainly Aliens is much more popular than Alien 3 or Resurrection, but if they wanted to really milk the line they would have started with one of the later films. This leads me to believe that they might not have realized how popular the Aliens figures would be. Just a theory.

It makes sense that HT did it sequels first - like you said the sequels were more popular and collecotr-freindly.

With AvP that was the mopvie that was all the rage at the time.

there is ALOT of truth to this. i love the company, but there is a lot of annoyance in an announcement for a BETTER figure (BD predator 2), to be announced only AFTER the original predator is sold out.

still love hot toys though. the elder predator 2 is off the hook!! along with the other 13 figures i have of them. my wallet wants a divorce.

A lot of truth to what I said.. fine.. ignore me... :emperor

Sequels work well for them in terms of hooking fans in with more recent product and ones that can help to get them acclimated to buying figures from a license. Also as they move further along people coming in late to the game can see the secondary prices of earlier figures rising which would help motivate them to buy now instead of later. Also with these complex and unique bodies it gives them an opportunity to refine the look of the figures as they move towards the most desired versions.

Although I am surprised we haven't seen a Resurrection or A3 version yet.

Back