Aliens: Colonial Marines -- Next-Gen Aliens Video Game!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icruise

Super Freak
Reaction score
I just got the latest issue of Game Informer, and they have a cover story about a new game set in the Aliens universe where you play colonial marines. It's still in the early stages, but it looks pretty amazing (think Doom 3, but with aliens and marines!)

I haven't had time to read the whole article, but I'm pretty excited about this one!

Yeah, I've seen scans of it on www.avpgalaxy.com. It looks pretty cool only I wish someone would come out with a 3rd person Aliens game for a change - there hasn't been one since the arcade games and it could be done so well like Hitman or Gears of War. Alien: Ressurection was originally intended to be 3rd person on the PS1 but it was changed to 1st person cos they thought it want scary enough - Resident Evil is a perfect example of a scary 3rd person.

Just got the latest issue of Game Informer, myself, and all I can say is:

WAAAAHHHOOOOO!!!!! YESSSSSSSS!!!

:chew:fireworks :woo :bounce:mexwave:bounce:rock2:blissy:rock

It's like the SEGA and Gearbox development teams hacked into my brain to find out what my dream-game would be, and went about making it without telling me, lol. AVP2 for PC was one of my favorite games ever, and I've been waiting since then for another; one with current-generation graphics. I don't know if you'll be able to play as the aliens like you could in AVP, but perhaps it will be possible in multiplayer? At any rate, I love the decision for no heads-up display (HUD), it will make the game much more frightening and atmospheric. Gearbox is the group responsible for the original half-life, so as you can see I'm looking forward to this one. :)

Last edited:
Looks like a lot of us have been waiting for this game for a very long time, and it has finally arrived. I gotta track down that issue of Game Informer!

PLEASE let this be a good game! I played AVP (the Rebellion one) on the PC back a few years ago and it scared the crap out of me, it oozed atmosphere. If this game comes close I'll be happy.

you get to walk around the Sulaco in the Alien3 timeframe.You also get to root around the Marines' lockers as well as ponder why Ripley's EEV is missing...

I totally want this game. I loved the Marine missions in AvP2. nut nothing compares to the predator. :banana

good lord, nothing is as terrifying as going through a nest and realizing you are VERY low on ammo.

tense.

the distinct sound of an egg opening is generally a good time for me to start scraming:horror

A couple of us Colonial Marines were at WonderCon this weekend. Met w/ reps from Sega and Gearbox. They are uber enthusiastic about this project! They are trying very hard to capture the atmosphere of the film. It is going to Flat Out ROCK!

-Rex

A couple of us Colonial Marines were at WonderCon this weekend. Met w/ reps from Sega and Gearbox. They are uber enthusiastic about this project! They are trying very hard to capture the atmosphere of the film. It is going to Flat Out ROCK!

-Rex

Finding out about this game has made me even more excited about finally getting a PS3. I've basically been waiting for MGS4, GTA-IV and a few other titles, but this one could easily top my list if it turns out to be as fantastic as it already appears to be!!!
:rock :rock :rock :rock :rock

is this game coming to the PC too? I dislike console shooters with the exception of the wii. Mostly due to control.

WOW! :eek I am DEFINITELY buying this game the first day it comes out in 2009! This IS the ALIENS Colonial Marines game I have been waiting for! I knew about the one EA was making for the Playstation 2 a few years ago. But it got cancelled. This one looks incredible. I bought the Game Informer today. Here's some pictures from the article. I am going to buy my copy of the game on the Xbox 360. I won't post the pictures of the cover that I took since some of you have already posted a link to Game Informer showing the cover. Check out the pictures...

The first two pages of the article. It says "PEACE THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER" just like on Pvt. Frost's gray t-shirt he wore with the M41-A pulse rifle on it, above the title "ALIENS Colonial Marines".

100_9375.jpg

The next two pages. It has a great shot of what I am assuming is planet LV-426. Since they say you revisit the same planet from ALIENS in the new game. You even explore the Sulaco too!

100_9356.jpg

the next page that shows a dropship at the top of the page. It says the game will use the original dropship. Not some "re-imagined knock off" of it. Good. Also at the lower left are pictures of the hypersleep chambers in the Sulaco, and they say even though Ripley's is missing, there are others that your team can explore. At the bottom left is a picture of the A.P.C. we all know and love. It says that "there will be some driving segments, but the gameplay is focused primarily on squad shooting". On the lower-right is a section comparing "Concept To Reality" on the top is the shot of the loading bay on the Sulaco in the game. On the bottom is a shot of the loading bay in the movie. They look almost identical! Plus, the fact they consulted the the ALIENS conceptual designer, the great painter Syd Mead! Awesome! :D

100_9357.jpg

Next is the page to the right of the last page. It shows your first-person view without any nagging "H.U.D.". You are looking at alien egg with a facehugger about to jump out of the top of it! For this picture they say, "Since your view is uncluttered by any sort of HUD, you will be able to fully appreciate terrifying moments like this".

100_9361.jpg

At the bottom of that same page is a small picture of the A.P.C.

100_9362.jpg

The next page has a shot of your marine shooting his pulse rifle at an oncoming facehugger. It says "If you are grabbed by a facehugger you will have to react quickly using the "close encounters" mechanics to avoid death". The "close encounters" mechanics they mention they said will be simple lighted hints something like what was done in "God Of War". You will see a green light to then do a button-press like maybe one of the shoulder buttons on the controller in a sequence to get the facehugger off of you and away from your face.

100_9363.jpg

Next, is a great shot of the other three marines in your squad (all four marines right now are currently named Winter, Bella, O'Neal, and Monday. I'm not sure which one you will play as...they didnt' say). One is sealing a door with his hand-held blowtorch, another is covering him at the door with his shotgun just like Hicks, and one covering with a pulse rifle. Your marine is shown holding a motion detector, and you can see the display with aliens approaching, and they're about 7 meters away! It says "These placeholder squad members look the same. In the final version, their appearance will be just as different as their various abilities". In the article it says you can arm each marine with one main weapon, like a pulse rifle, flamethrower, or smartgun. Then they get a secondary weapon like the signature shotgun Hicks carried that will stay with them the entire game. They will also be able to have a pistol sidearm, and be able to each carry some of the familiar grenades from ALIENS too. Sweet! They also go on to say that you will be able to switch between the four marines at any time. Reminds me of that function in "Battlefield 2" that I played on the Xbox 360. Nice.

100_9365.jpg

I will post the rest of the pictures in my next post so that I will have posted all of the pictures from the article. :D

Last edited:
Here's the rest of the pictures from the article.

Next up is a good shot of a remote sentry gun firing on an oncoming alien warrior. It says "Using a turret to mow down xenomorphs is a good way to avoid being splashed by acid blood". Yep. I agree with that!

100_9367.jpg

Wow, check out this picture! One of my favorites from the article. It shows two marines firing on an alien, and it says "The LED on the pulse rifle will display your allies' ammo, so even in the middle of a fight, you can see how they're doing". Awesome! So the rounds count down from 99 to 0 just like in the movie. Nice touch!

100_9369.jpg

Here's a tighter shot that shows you one of your fellow marines being attacked by an alien in the next room. Get over there and help him out marine!

100_9370.jpg

Here's a closeup of the reference to the cancelled EA Colonial Marines game, and how that the new game from Gearbox and Sega WILL NOT be related to it in any way. I'm glad about that too. Gearbox will surpass anything EA could have done with the ALIENS license in my book!

100_9372.jpg

Here's a small picture of a dropship from in the game I forgot to include in my first post...

100_9364.jpg

A more close-up shot of the article title....

100_9376.jpg

So, this game looks to be the ONE we've all been waiting so many long years for! I can't wait to play it and own it! I've always wanted to play as a colonial marine in a videogame that was accurate to ALIENS. After reading the article I can tell these devolpers truly DO care about the ALIENS license, and will do their best to make the best ALIENS shooter game we'll all love.

Here's the information about when it's due out....basically just 2009 right now, and what systems it's coming out on. The Playstation 3, Xbox 360, and PC. It says it will also have 1 to 4-player action, and 4-player cooperative play via the Playstation network, Xbox Live, or PC internet connection.

100_9352.jpg

I happy to share these pictures with all of you! Take care. :D

Back