PDA

View Full Version : eBay Auction Tracking System for Sideshow*Weta Collectibles

spaceman
06-17-2004, 04:51 AM
Hello All,

I posted here a while back about a website I'd put together which catalogs sales data from eBay for Sideshow*Weta LOTR products. Since then several major cosmetic and functional upgrades have been made, and I'd like to invite you all back for a visit. The address is:

www.perspectivevirtual.com/weta/ (http://www.perspectivevirtual.com/weta/)

The database is now updated every four hours automatically, and sorts the eBay query results by item to assign a 'value' index to each piece. Everything is included: figures, busts, helms, medallions, etc. Auctions which ended more recently are weighed more heavily than older ones, so that the 'current' prices are favored in the overall average. Several months of data is in place. There is a guestbook available as well, so please drop me a line with reactions. Also I'll be monitoring this thread for questions and comments.

thanks,
the SpaceMan

bigdaddyrob
06-17-2004, 06:09 AM
sweet! I love this ste, I always use it as a guidleline for pricing

SauronsVengeance
06-17-2004, 07:40 AM
This is a great site!! :bow Good job linking everything together. I hope you can keep it updated.

Much thanks and gratitude!!!:rock

SauronsVengeance

napoleoncdn
06-17-2004, 08:53 AM
Thanks spaceman,

You site is great and the changes look very good.

:bow :b ow:bow :b ow:bow :b ow:bow :b ow:bow :b ow:bow

Napoleoncdn

Goldberry
06-17-2004, 10:55 AM
Is there not a way to exclude the bookends from the results for the Bilbo statue? As I've mailed you before, the Gandalf/Bilbo bookends falsify Bilbo's value by at least -$30. >:
He's my one of my most favourite statues!

Twilitewichking
06-17-2004, 11:20 AM
Luv the site keep up the good work!! I look at it every other day! Perfect for ebay and tracking the market! THANX FOR A GREAT SITE FOR EVERYONE TO ENJOY!!!:toast

jlcmsu
06-17-2004, 01:26 PM
Very cool site thanks for putting in this work for all us wetaholics.

RodLonghi
06-17-2004, 01:40 PM
I check it out almost every day. There are some items that are mixed, like a Theoden helm on the statue section wich decreses the overall price. Other than that it's a really helpful tool.

Thanks a lot for this service. Keep it up :rock

Ericske
06-17-2004, 02:16 PM
Use this site a lot, he's on my tool bar, right next to the link to this site...keep up the good work... :rock

Ericske
Be

spaceman
06-18-2004, 01:40 AM
:wave

Hi All,

Wow -- thanks for the great reception. It's really good to know several will find this useful.

Goldberry:
Your cries have been heard! Bilbo now has an exclusion filter on the word 'bookend', and the existing errors have been weeded out by hand. Thanks for the tip!

Ericske:
Thanks also for the word on the helms. Apparently there is a seller with the unfortunate (for me) habit of selling Helms with the word 'Statue' also in the title. No long-term fix yet, but several instances which existed were corrected.

Mistakes like these creep in when the parsing is done by machine. So -- I really appreciate news on misplaced listings like these examples. Sometimes it may help improve a systematic sorting anomaly.

Happy Collecting!
the SpaceMan

WETAFAN
06-18-2004, 03:34 AM
I am amazed at what you did. This is a great tool. You're a genius. Keep up the good wrk. I was on it for so long I did not know when to quit and nearly forgot to give you a praise. Thnx.:dance

RodLonghi
06-18-2004, 11:12 AM
Spaceman, it was me that mentioned the helm not Ericske:b , I've saw other mixed items like that and understand it must be really hard for you to filter all those items, as people at Ebay list bust as statues just to get more views, really annoying. So if you like, I can help you out sending you emails with the mixed items I may find.

By the way excellent upgrades, the system is much easier to use now and the new layout looks great.

Slimjim
06-18-2004, 12:01 PM
Wow, excellent work! I used this quite a bit when I am looking for values.

WE'RE NOT WORTHY!

:bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow

jagman jag
06-18-2004, 07:53 PM
Excellent Site. A great resource that is much appreciated!

spaceman
06-18-2004, 11:24 PM
oops, sorry Rod.

and yes, email about misplaced listings would be great.

[email protected]

thanks. :)

Goldberry
06-19-2004, 12:40 AM
Goldberry: Your cries have been heard! Bilbo now has an exclusion filter on the word 'bookend', and the existing errors have been weeded out by hand.

you're a darling, thanks a lot. :grouphug

spaceman
06-23-2004, 08:04 PM
Hi All,

A couple new features to announce. First is a small newsboard (those here probably know it all already). The second is a set of banners that can be used to link back to the site. Some might want to employ these during auction listings. In that case, just edit the address to point toward the pricing details page of the item up for sale. I like site traffic and new collectors being introduced to the page, so thanks to those who link!

the SpaceMan :wave

bigdaddyrob
06-23-2004, 08:08 PM
Do you recieve direct communications from God and do his work or it an email thing ?

Eitherway thanks!

Azog of Moria
06-24-2004, 05:28 AM
I've said it before, awesome site...

Winged Shadows
06-24-2004, 06:25 AM
hey spaceman, its real good to hear from the guy who set up that site! its an awesome resource! :bow

love the new layout...it just gets better and better...

spaceman
06-24-2004, 09:37 AM
Thanks All! I'm amazed at the positive response. It is gratifying to see your efforts appreciated!:dance

the SpaceMan

spaceman
06-27-2004, 12:54 AM
Hi All --

A special thanks to user 'rodlonghi' who sent a detailed listing of mis-sorts!! This sort of initiative is a great help to streamline and improve the accuracy of this service!! :bow

He also mentioned that the guestbook had been down. Apologies if any failed to leave a message. It is back online now.

Also thanks to user 'Radagaster' (another board) who pointed out that the Uruk Scout bust was not recording data properly. Somehow it never received a line in the filtering program. There are now almost 50 listings in place for this item.

the SpaceMan

RodLonghi
06-27-2004, 08:36 PM
Really glad to hear it helped and congrats. on the fast update.

Long life for the Perspective Virtual ! :rock

spaceman
07-05-2004, 12:12 PM
Hey All,

Ebay regularly tweaks the inner workings of their system, and recent 'upgrades' caused the system to fail in data collection for several days. Sorry about the down-time, and a big thanks to user Mani (another forum) for the alert. I have manually added data for the missing time so that no information has been lost overall. It may take me a while to figure out how to reinitiate the automated downloads though :bang .

thanks
the SpaceMan

GrishnakhMan
07-06-2004, 12:26 AM
Great site, I don't suppose you could add a UK version of the ebay auctions? I only ask as there isn't a direct comparison between the 2 markets so using the $ rate doesn't give the expected UK price on many occasions...

:wave

spaceman
07-06-2004, 03:47 PM
GrishnakhMan -- Thanks, I'm glad you like it! I don't anticipate installing a full dual-site. However, I have retained (although it is not currently displayed) the original currency information of all non-USDollar transations. If this were posted along with the USD conversion would it solve your problem?

Also, there is some good news:
After some hard efforts and a bit of good fortune I have managed to cope with eBay's new system of operation. The automated data collection is back online. I have also implemented an email status reporter so that future downtime will be detected and diagnosed more rapidly. :yay

It does not appear that the changes were 'maliciously' aimed at operations like my own, but were simply standard 'upgrades'. I remain amazed at how often eBay changes their operation internals. I gues the programmers have to do something! :rolleyes

Lastly -- Stay tuned for future updates!! A major new feature is slated for installation in about 10 days. It is on the 'Collection Management' side of things. That's all I'll say about it for now! :p

the SpaceMan

GrishnakhMan
07-07-2004, 01:32 AM
If this were posted along with the USD conversion would it solve your problem?

Oh yeah, that would be the icing on the cake...:wave

spaceman
07-16-2004, 04:01 PM
Hi All,

There are a few small updates and upgrades to let you in on. The big news I hinted at earlier is hopefully still coming next week. In the meantime:

All auctions which were originally transacted in a non-US currency now also include the native currency sales price. The USD conversion is based on the rate stored in my program at the time when the auction was processed.

There are a new class of banners available in the 'Link To Us' section. They dynamically reveal the current tracking value of a given piece and are available for all figures in the catalog. I envisioned these as a way to keep in compliance with eBay's policy(pages.ebay.com/help/polic...ks.html)on (http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-links.html)on) outside links. Third party service providers are allowed a small icon and a short text message. I'll be interested in opinions on whether these images are in keeping with the spirit of that rule. I'm also curious if you feel providing shoppers with this information in real time is beneficial to the auction participants. As always, I appreciate those who help new collectors become aware of the service.

Finally, I am soon to start archiving auction data on SideShow's non-LOTR lineup as well. It will be at least two months of data collection before any new product categories are publically displayed, but I'd like to poll what sort of crossover interests you have, and which new auction tracking lists would be most beneficial.

I'm out of town for the weekend, but I'll check back in with you all after that.

thanks!
the SpaceMan

spaceman
07-16-2004, 04:07 PM
It looks like that last link got garbled. Let me try it again here.

eBay Linking Policy:
pages.ebay.com/help/polic...links.html (http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-links.html)

:b

spaceman
07-21-2004, 08:11 PM
:dance

Hey All!

After much hard work I am especially pleased to announce the debut of the 'Collection Management' side of the PerspectiveVirtual.Com auction tracking system. This new feature will allow you to personalize your experience at the site in a whole new way. For the first time, you now readily track the values of not only individual pieces, but of your personal collection as a whole.

There is a full-featured login system complete with the ability to update your user profile and - for the forgetful :p - request automated password reset and notification via email.

You can group your pieces by six categories: Items to keep personally, personal items on order, wish list, items for sale, sale items on order and items previously sold. The total msrp/value and difference margin are calculated for each category.

I hope this is fun and useful for each of you. As always, I give my sincere thanks to those who support the site in various ways! :wave

thanks and Happy Collecting,
the Spaceman

p.s. To visit the new feature:
www.perspectivevirtual.com/weta/management/ (http://www.perspectivevirtual.com/weta/management/)

chauvelin2000
07-21-2004, 10:03 PM
Lovely... but never got an e-mail giving me instructions for activation, as promised. ...I smell a glitch.

So it does no good to register if there's no way of accessing one's account to manage it.

Is there a time frame one must wait in order to receive the "activate your account" e-mail?

spaceman
07-21-2004, 11:02 PM
Hey There Chauvelin2000,
:dunno
Glad to see you found the system so fast, and sorry for your email trouble. The email should have been sent out practically instantaneously. I tested fairly carefully prior to rollout, and others have had success as well - so I believe the system is functioning properly. If you have an agressive spam filter, then it's likely that the message was misdirected. Be sure to check your junk-mail box. Failing that, send me an email request at [email protected] from the same address which you registered, and I'll manually activate your account.
good luck!:b
the Spaceman

chauvelin2000
07-23-2004, 12:28 AM
Thank you. It works great!!:D

So nice to have all my "precious" SSW collectibles logged, archived, and inventoried!:bow

Now, all that I've purchased for myself, sold, have on order, or hope to get or sell, is right there at my fingertips.:yay

It's great to see my Sideshow LOTR "museum" at a glance -- all my busts, medallions, statues, helms, environments, and weapon sets lined up in neat little rows of thumbprint photos with there original and current market values, plus the difference between the two!:rock

Didn't know that what I have is already so valuable!!

It's AWESOME!!:dance

Nazgul dfx
07-23-2004, 12:59 AM
i got an error when i try to activate my account.

The link i got in the email don't work

spaceman
07-23-2004, 10:59 AM
Chauvelin2000, Thanks so much! Glad you like it! :wave

NazgulDFX, I got your email and activated the account. Sorry for the trouble. I realized the "" (http://") leading edge of the link I sent you was mangled. When this was repaired the link worked fine. :o Hope you enjoy the system!

the SpaceMan :b

Lasher33
07-23-2004, 11:43 AM
Great job, Spaceman!!

I've just added the link to this thread to the "Popular / Must See Lord of the Rings/ WETA threads", which is a sticky topic.

spaceman
07-23-2004, 02:20 PM
Peter --

Thank you so much. This is an honor. :bow

the SpaceMan

spaceman
07-24-2004, 01:14 AM
One More Quick Site Update --

The stock-status icons for several figures had grown stale since I first put the system together. The 'Red Hand' has been busy lately! These values are now automatically updated nightly directly off of Sideshow's site. You can now be confident that the stock information provided is up to date!

the SpaceMan

gooball
07-24-2004, 01:22 AM
Hi.

Thanks for the great site which is even better thanks to the new additions! I, however, am also having trouble activating my account. The email arrived instantaneously, but my link was not recognised.

My username's gooball on there as well.

Thanks for any help you can provide! Keep up the great work.

spaceman
07-24-2004, 10:44 AM
Hi Gooball!

You're certainly welcome. I've setup your account, and hope you enjoy it!

I'm really confused that some are still having trouble with the links. In any event it's no problem for me to activate them, so just let me know if anyone needs this done. As more users sign up and report their experiences it should become clear if there is really a systematic problem. I did realize a day back that the leading "http://" tag was mangled and missing the two slashes. This may have caused problems for some, but has been fixed. I suppose my web browser was able to cope with that flaw, since I had no trouble during the testing phase prior to rollout. It could possibly be that some persisting errors have to do with cut-and-paste mistakes. If your email message has the activation URL split across two lines be sure to copy them both into the browser. Also be sure there is no leading white space at the front of the address. Some activation codes may contain a period '.' -- this is part of the code and should be included.

Good Luck and Enjoy!!

keep me posted,
the SpaceMan

spaceman
07-25-2004, 05:20 PM
Hi All,

I was eager to see more site vistors start utilizing the new Collection Management System at: www.perspectivevirtual.co...anagement/ (http://www.perspectivevirtual.com/weta/management/) to track their own pieces. So -- I decided a little incentive might be in order! Two weeks from now one random user with an active Collection Manager account will be selected to receive a free Cave Troll Hammer! This is mint-in-box. All users hoping to participate in this giveaway must have their accounts activated by 12:00 midnight Central U.S., Sunday, August the 8th. International shipping is included. Notification will be by email. More details are available on my news page: www.perspectivevirtual.com/weta/news/ (http://www.perspectivevirtual.com/weta/news/) . With permission, the winner's name will be posted there a couple days after.

Good Luck!
the SpaceMan

RodLonghi
07-25-2004, 08:53 PM
Sounds great ! I'm in. But I'm having some troubles activating my account, sent you an e-mail.

Naugladur
07-26-2004, 01:22 AM
This is wonderful. Thank you.

spaceman
07-26-2004, 01:42 AM
Naugladur,
Thanks and you're welcome! Enjoy! :wave

Rodlonghi,
I had seen your account waiting to be activated a couple days back. Since we had communicated previously, I went ahead to enable it for you. I sent a note but I guess our messages got crossed! :D You should be all ready to go with the selected username/password.

take care,
the SpaceMan

gooball
07-26-2004, 01:47 AM
I really like what I've seen thus far but there are a few suggestions. All the keep, sell, etc. Things are a little confusing. Most of them make sense, but is there a legend anywhere? Also, I can't remember which option it is but I think one appears twice.

The other main thing has to do with the fact that not everyone paid retail for all of their pieces. I personally paid below retail, and not in U.S.D. I don't think you should worry about adding support for different currencies, but if you could allow us to enter 'custom' prices that would be great.

Keep up the great work. Sorry if all of this is possible but I just missed it.

Dassy
07-26-2004, 02:20 AM
but if you could allow us to enter 'custom' prices that would be great.

Agreed on goball`s comment,I only started collecting this year so have been paying over the odds for some pieces!

Keep the good work up,Brilliant BTW:toast

Cheers

spaceman
07-26-2004, 03:46 PM
Dassy & Gooball --
Thanks for the comments! You're welcome & I hope you continue to Enjoy!!

The upgrade you mention (custom buy/sell prices) is already planned, but I can't give a timetable just yet. Too much else that needs attending to!:b

I concede a bit more documentation might be needed. You are right that the category 'Order' is listed twice. I intended this a differentiation between items on order to keep vs on order as investments. The white bg categories are 'keepers' and the gold are 'sellers'. The closest thing to a legend currently available is on the main entry page:
www.perspectivevirtual.co...anagement/ (http://www.perspectivevirtual.com/weta/management/)

I needed extremely concise category names since they are repeated many times. But, in the collection viewer,
www.perspectivevirtual.co...ction.html (http://www.perspectivevirtual.com/weta/management/collection.html) (password required), the titles are a bit more verbose & descriptive.

Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming!

the SpaceMan

TolkienCollector
07-28-2004, 05:02 AM
Hi Spaceman,

I signed up to the Register yesterday a.m (UK time). I've not received a confirmation email yet. Can u pls help me out??

Ta loads,

Rob

RodLonghi
07-28-2004, 04:08 PM
TC if you are having any troubles, just send an email to [email protected]

spaceman
07-29-2004, 12:15 AM
Hi TolkienCollector,

Rod's advice is on target. I saw your account sitting unactivated. If you'll please send this request by email I'll be happy to turn it on for you. The reason for the email-activation step is to verify that I have a good address on file. It is needed for the 'request new password' feature, for contact in case you win the current giveaway, and possibly for other new site features in the future. :)

thanks!
the SpaceMan

ps -- keep your eyes open for another upgrade coming soon! ;)

TolkienCollector
07-29-2004, 03:45 AM
Spaceman, you've got mail.

TC :wave

Naugladur
07-29-2004, 04:56 PM
This is awesome, thanks!

"Short guy. Bad attitude. Likes his treasure. Your treasure too."

spaceman
08-01-2004, 05:24 AM
Hi Everyone (Esp. Craig!),

I surprised myself this week by preparing a much-requested new feature earlier than I originally planned. After several days of work, I'm really pleased with the results. The Collection Manager system now permits an even greater level of personalization by allowing you to submit custom buy/sell prices for each item being tracked! Detailed instructions are still forthcoming, but here's the quick rundown:

First visit the 'Manage Collection' page at www.perspectivevirtual.co...anage.html (http://www.perspectivevirtual.com/w...ent/manage.html) to select the numbers of each piece which are: a) in hand to keep b) on order to keep c) on your wish list d) available for sale/trade e) on order to sell f) sold.

Second, visit the new 'Set Prices' page: www.perspectivevirtual.co...rices.html (http://www.perspectivevirtual.com/w...ent/prices.html) to enter your custom buy/sell prices. Just type your new values right on top of the old ones. (These may not look like form elements, but they are!) There are checkboxes labeled 'MSRP' and 'VALUE' on each item which will restore the default prices. You can also conveniently change the category assignments on a per item basis using this page (for example, if a pre-order becomes in-stock, or if 'for sale' changes to 'sold'). There are a few 'common-sense' rules like: no custom sale prices for the 'to keep' categories; a maximum of 3 identical pieces can be placed into each category (just as on the first page). JavaScript prompting will warn and correct bad input along the way.

I hope it's fairly straight-forward to use. Please let me know what you think, and send along any suggestions. If you haven't registered yet, please visit www.perspectivevirtual.co...anagement/ (http://www.perspectivevirtual.com/weta/management/) . Don't forget there's just about 1 week left to get in on the Cave Troll Hammer Giveaway.

Also in the pipeline for a later debut is a 'collection summary' page, which combines the data from each of the current six categories.

Enjoy!!

ps - Thanks Naugladur!

spaceman
08-05-2004, 09:33 PM
I wanted to post a quick reminder that there's just a couple days left to register for the Cave Troll Hammer giveaway. I'm really pleased with the current version of the Collection Manager, and I hope that several new users will take this chance to check it out. After registration you'll be able to easily categorize the items in your own collection and compare the total current value (and/or any resale profits) to the actual prices you paid.

www.perspectivevirtual.co...anagement/ (http://www.perspectivevirtual.com/weta/management/)

spaceman
08-08-2004, 09:11 PM
Hi All,

A winner of the Cave Troll Hammer giveaway has been randomly selected from the current list of registered users at the site's collection manager system. I've notified this person by email. I plan to post their name to the news section once I hear back from them with permission.
www.perspectivevirtual.com/weta/news/ (http://www.perspectivevirtual.com/weta/news/)
Congratulations to the lucky winner! :wave

the SpaceMan

spaceman
08-12-2004, 10:06 PM
Hi All,

Some may have noticed new tracking data was not added to the system for the last few days. This was again due to changes within eBay's internals. Thankfully, the alterations were not nearly so severe as those made last time, and my system was cleanly upgraded with a minimum of hassle. No data was ultimately lost, but only delayed in the reporting. :dance

thanks and Happy Collecting,
the SpaceMan

PS - A big congrats to our own RodLonghi, winner of the recent Cave Troll Hammer giveaway!! :rock

RodLonghi
10-22-2004, 09:20 AM
I would like to thank spaceman for sending the CT HAmmer prize I've won in his contests really fast. He has even paid the shiping all the way to Brazil. Spaceman rocks! :rock

I'm a great fan of his work !!! Keep it up and Thanks a lot !!

spaceman
10-25-2004, 11:58 PM
Hey RodLonghi, :wave

You're very welcome, and congrats again!

And thanks to all the visitors who have helped the site come this far! My web counter (I try to count users once per day max) has passed the 7,000 mark, and I'm planning another prize giveaway to the 10,000th visitor. I think it will be the comic-con Smeagol bust this time. More details will be following.

It should be an interesting few months as the EE of ROTK comes out, and possibly some new product announcements from Sideshow?? :dunno

It will be interesting to see if the collectible market spikes with the holidays, and the Minas Tirith environment coming. It was around that time a year ago that things really started to escalate fast in terms of interest and resale value. (Of course we're not getting a new film this year though :\ )

Also, I wanted to post a notice that eBay has made another round of changes to their web content and the site is again temporarily broken :doh
I've been pretty tied up with school lately, but I'll try to have things running again by next week sometime. As before, no data should be lost, but only delayed.

happy Collecting!
the SpaceMan

www.perspectivevirtual.com/weta (http://www.perspectivevirtual.com/weta)

yahweh70
11-07-2004, 12:11 PM
Might I be a bit cheeky and suggest a new section on the EBAY Tracking site..

How much are the 'in-boxes' going for? ROTFLMAO!

spaceman
11-08-2004, 01:41 AM
Hey All,

The Auction Tracker was down recently. This was because of more internal tinkering over at eBay. I wanted to let you know it's back up and fully functional, and most of the delayed data has been recovered. Unfortunately, a few days were permanently lost though.

Also, I'm running another contest, giving away one of the Smeagol Comic-Con Busts this time. Check out my news page for the full details. :)

www.perspectivevirtual.com/weta/news/ (http://www.perspectivevirtual.com/weta/news/)

the SpaceMan

spaceman
11-08-2004, 01:45 AM
yahweh70 --

Sorry, I don't get it. Can you say it another way?

yahweh70
11-08-2004, 02:38 PM
To fill in those who wondered what i was referring to.

On another thread, there was talk of an Ebay auction where a guy is selling a Balrog, or at least it appears to be a Balrog statue, it's described as a Balrog statue, it apparently will be 'very valuable', like a Balrog statue. Only problem is, it isn't a balrog statue, it's an even rarer, more valuable artifact. A Balrog statue Packing Case!

Yes, a Packing Case, as described by our German friend, 'Balrog in Box'. Because Balrog in Box apparently means, to our German 'friend', the OUTER case from a Balrog.

spaceman
11-08-2004, 07:53 PM
WOW:jaw

Keep your wits about you shoppers!

A great service this board can provide is a running discussion of problem sellers & common scams.

Winged Shadows
11-17-2004, 11:22 AM
lol.. yeah... one sold for $2250! and another $250.

lurtz001
12-23-2004, 05:09 PM
:puke

spaceman
01-12-2005, 01:41 AM
Hi All :p

I've been hard at work on the site lately. A lot is behind the scenes, both streamlining the maintenance operations and laying groundwork for some major 'expansion' which I'll keep under wraps for a while yet. :naughty

BUT ...

There are several smaller updates and upgrades which I did want to mention.

First, I felt there were now enough environments (and hopefully more to come) to justify a separate category. DVD special edition packages are still in 'miscellaneous'. These are quite difficult to track accurately as they ship both with and without the discs included. The Wiki crown has joined the helms category where it belongs.

Next, if you look at the lower right of each page within the footers, the net number of tracked auctions is now listed. We're well over 16,000 and counting!! :dance

The Currency Conversion for non US-Dollar listings now automatically updates with the latest rates once per evening.

The stock status icon of each item is also downloaded direct from Sideshow nightly. I've been doing this for a while, but with the recent trend of previously sold-out items to occasionally pop back up for sale, this can be a quick way to get the news early.

Finally, something new I'm fairly proud of:
By the nature of the way I calculate 'value', there is some inertia built in. Although newer auctions are favored, a long history of trading will also greatly influence the stated appraisal. This is why the 'last fifteen days' and 'last 5 auctions' price averages are also provided on the details page. The new feature is a set of 'stock market' arrow icons appearing on the main page which let you see at a glance how recent sales trends compare to the long term record of every item. (Appreciating, Appreciating Rapidly, Stable, Depreciating and Depreciating Rapidly) :banana

Hope you Enjoy,
I'll post as events procede with the larger developments hinted at above.

the SpaceMan

quarr
01-12-2005, 10:31 AM
Nice one spaceman! It really is a fantastic/useful site - Keep up the good work :rock

Winged Shadows
01-25-2005, 04:22 AM
Love the appreciating/depreciating trend indicators!

:banana

spaceman
02-09-2005, 12:43 PM
Thanks quarr & WS!! :wave

:carrot :elef :carrot :elef :carrot

Good NEWS! I'm *FINALLY* operating at full speed with both addresses! Thanks for the patience. You can now access the auction value tracker at your choice of address:

www.perspectivevirtual.com OR
www.toytracker.net

These are FULLY interchangeable and your collection manager accounts exist and are updated at BOTH address. It's just like two doors to the same house.

ENJOY!
the SpaceMan :dance

robenim
02-17-2005, 11:47 AM
I think there is a small mistake with the Galadriel statue... ;)

Great site :bow

:toast

spaceman
02-18-2005, 12:31 AM
thanks Robenim - I'll get it ...

Now some of the news I've been hinting at for a while ;)

I've been quietly laying the groundwork during the last couple months for a major expansion at the site.

I'm pleased to announce that 'Phase I' has *just* been finished and is finally open for business! Follow this link:
www.toytracker.net/sideshow/ (http://www.toytracker.net/sideshow/)
to track and manage selected non-Rings items from the general Sideshow catalog including Bond, Simpsons, Muppets, Trek, Planet of the Apes and assorted Sci-Fi.

Your existing collection manager account will offer full access to the new areas. To find the new area in the future, just trade the word 'weta' for 'sideshow', or click the "Home" button for a list of active site regions.

It's a great week for collectors all around, and I'm glad to have a little something new to show as well. Hope you all enjoy!

the SpaceMan

robenim
02-18-2005, 04:53 AM
It is GREAT... thanks for all your work!!! It really helps me... :toast

RodLonghi
03-08-2005, 05:06 PM
Spaceman, I 've been trying to contact you but it looks like your perspectivevirtual webmail is down.
Do you have another email ?

spaceman
09-22-2005, 08:50 PM
Hey All,

After wrapping up graduation and my former job, and starting to get settled into a new one, I've FINALLY had a chance to make some LONG anticipated upgrades to the site! The master replicas section now has .45 mini-sabers included, as well as helmets and ships, plus the Star Trek merchandise. The Gentle-Giant SW bust area is also brand new. I have a list of great new features on the burner as well, and hope to announce soon.

Enjoy!
the SpaceMan :cool:

spaceman
04-04-2006, 04:10 PM
Hey to all, and a little update/news.

The Sideshow Collectibles area has had a huge update, with over 150 new items added since toyfair, and the number of sorted auctions doubled. Some are entirely new product lines such as Buffy and Monty Python, while existing tracked lines such as Marvel, StarWars and LOTR 12"/PF have been expanded. Also, I am trying to distinguish effectively between exclusive and retail versions wherever applicable. One of the tougher tasks is splitting the two Sideshow LOTR lines apart from each other and the related Weta sculpts. I hope for some improvements there with experience.

Most of my time programming lately has been of the behind-the-scenes variety, including a complete overhaul of my data storage facilities. This necessary groundwork will help ensure continued fast, reliable operation, as I aquire larger volumes of data. It also sets the stage for an exciting new coming feature - Real time auction sorting error reporting and repair available to registered users. I'm really excited about the prospects that will open up, including increased accuracy and user confidence in the stated valuations.

Happy Collecting!
the SpaceMan :cool:

spaceman
04-04-2006, 04:11 PM
I also meant to say -- For fellow fans of Gentle Giant's work, the Starwars area is up-to-date again, and I have added Potter, Matrix and Terminator. ;)

lcummins
04-04-2006, 08:17 PM
Some very nice additions spaceman! I have been waiting for more of the Sideshow lines to turn up! Now where are the Universal/Classic monster 12" figures? Can't wait for the new features to premiere! Two BIG thumbs up! :lol

tomandshell
04-04-2006, 08:22 PM
We appreciate the huge amount of work you have put into making this site such a valuable resource for us all!! You're the (space) man!!

Wetanut
04-04-2006, 08:48 PM
Excellent Spaceman! Thanks for all your hard work! :clap :clap :clap

noelleon69
04-04-2006, 09:13 PM
:woo great job and dedication there, :clap :clap :clap

keep it up! ;)

creecher
04-05-2006, 02:31 AM
Oh wow, look at all the 12 inch additions. Now you're talkin and walkin. Good stuff.

spaceman
04-05-2006, 08:26 AM
Thanks All,

It is satisfying to know the site is found useful. :)

lcummins
04-15-2006, 05:17 PM
Thanks All,

It is satisfying to know the site is found useful. :)

It is very useful! I personally like the Collection Manager part as much as the auction tracking! Now if only my Universal Monsters 12" figures could be tracked... :rotfl

...and speaking of Universal Monsters... what's up with the Frankenstein 1/4's? Prices are going up on both the color and SSE versions, and the SSE is even still available from Sideshow!

spaceman
05-05-2006, 12:55 PM
Thanks lc!

I'll keep your monster fetish in mind; :lol

After the last major Sideshow update, I wouldn't expect anything soon - and getting into their full line of military/monster would be a semi-major undertaking. BUT I am collecting data, even if it is not displayed, and I know there are fans out there who love this stuff, even if my personal collecting habits trend is other ways! :frank :peace

It looks like maybe some of the high Frankenstein SSE's are internal to Europe, possibly buyers trying to avoid high shipping or VAT. :confused:

spaceman
07-25-2006, 05:39 PM
Hey All,

It's good to be spending a little time at the boards again. For the last quite-a-bit it seems like any free "hobby" time has gone straight to programming. But, I'm really excited several systems level upgrades which have been long in the planning and development are finally starting to materialize in a finished form.

One of the most important changes is a modification of my primary valuation algorithm. It now flags items which sold under any of the special conditions AP, Autographed, Low Edition Number, Mint or New Condition, Postage Discount and Item Damaged or Incomplete. Furthermore, the program weights items which carry these somewhat less strongly (and very much less strongly for the cases AP, Autographed or Damaged). The amount by which each is discounted in the calcuation is based loosely on some statistical analysis I performed of the price fluctuation correlated with each condition. Also, items from those three extreme categories are entirely excluded from the "last 5" and "15 days" sections. This should help prevent the false assignment of an extreme appreciation/depreciation trend arrow due to non-representative sales

Even better, the Custom User Average tool now enables you to easily include or exclude categories as a whole. Do you want to know the average price for Cave Trolls sold in EUROS during the last 3 Months, excluding Artist Proofs? Give it a try here (http://www.toytracker.net/weta/tracking/weta.html/8702R) - your answer is just a few clicks away! I'm really proud of this tool :D , and I hope you'll enjoy using it for custom-tailored value reports that fit your specific shopping or selling scenarios.

Also, be sure to notice that the front-page detail summary now appears when you hold your mouse over the value, rather than the magifying glass icon. A couple new categories are now visible, including All Time High Price and 60-Day Low Price. Within each detail-view page (click the magnifying glass), are now additionally reported Edition Size and "Range". This last one provides some idea of the "confidence interval" of the stated value. Note though, that value is designed to have some amount of historical memory, and if recent prices are in relatively rapid inflation or depreciation, the likely current trading price may then be several intervals above or below.

Finally, a quick note about my newest contest which will be opening up soon. It will be the biggest thing of this sort which we've ever done, by far. Two winners will be able to pick their own Grand Prize from one of nine available options: The Dark Lord Sauron, Aragorn on Brego, Legolas & Gimli on Arod, The Mumakil of Harad or The Morgul Lord by SideShow*Weta, as well as the Luke Skywalker 12-Inch Jedi Exclusive or Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader or Han Solo Premium Format StarWars figures by Sideshow Collectibles! A HUGE thanks to Sideshow for sponsoring half of this contest by donation of the Sauron Figure to the Site. I haven't let the cat out of the bag just yet as to exactly what the contest is about, but I think it should be a lot of fun. For now, a couple clues on how to get your name into the hat early are given at the bottom of the page here (http://www.toytracker.net/weta/contest/fix.html).

Enjoy! - the SpaceMan :cool:

Darth Madden
07-25-2006, 05:48 PM
Pretty cool site... nice job... and a nice addition to my favorites list now.

amonhen
07-26-2006, 09:26 AM
:lol Thanks for the contest Spaceman.
By the way, maybe you should change your name to Traceman?!
I've been checking your site for ages, it's a great reference tool,
thanks for all the hard work you've put into it.
:cool:

spaceman
07-26-2006, 10:16 AM
Thanks Guys, :D

Traceman? :lol

Contest should be fun. I have a little programming to finish before it officially starts, but here's a clue: You'll actually be IMPROVING the site during the course of the contest. :confused: :D

goliath
08-01-2006, 05:58 AM
Hi Traceman :D

Cool improvements to the site, it looks like your are putting more and more efforts into this, thanks a lot!

And also thanks for the great contest!

goliath
08-08-2006, 02:33 AM
Now finally, in just a few days, users will be able to correct the missorted auctions, and/or any flags which are applied in real time.

Any news on the progress?:tap :cool:

spaceman
08-08-2006, 11:42 AM
Any news on the progress?:tap :cool:

Coming Soon my friend. :lol

I'll need a few days still. :D

DarkDaysinVegas
02-29-2008, 07:55 AM
Why don't you have any SS Hellboy listings on the site? :huh

Radagaster
02-04-2011, 07:05 PM
So . . .what happened to this website?

FlyAndFight
03-22-2011, 04:57 PM
Good question. I just went to check it out and it's no longer working. Too bad, as it was a fantastic tool.