PDA

View Full Version : International shipping charges - Sideshow wants to know!

dstephan
06-21-2004, 09:20 PM
I copied this inquiry of Chicky's from another thread so it could get more attention -

"I have seen a few of you guys mention the expense of shipping to Austrailia. Are there other destinations that have this same complaint? Can you tell me the average cost you pay for shipping outside of the duties and territory taxes?

We were able to negotiate improved shipping rates from our carriers to Canada based on volume. We may be able to do that for other regions as well if we have the orders to support sparring with UPS/Fed Ex.

We initially were shipping some regions internationally with USPS but the lost package rate and non-returned shipments from this service were not cost effective.

I would love to get feedback to help improve the service. Only constructive comments requested, however. "

king of the Nazgul
06-22-2004, 01:03 AM
I live in Australia..and have been quoted by Sideshow $122.ooUS(!!!) for shipping a Morgul Lord to AUSTRALIA...And "about" $140.ooUS(!!!!!) to ship a Sauron as well....Anyone else in OZ have the same quotes?? You can see why some of us on the other side of the world have to limit what we buy...I mean sure, you can always buy from people here...But, ONE site has Sauron for about $550.ooAud..or about $390.ooUS..I am not sure how much they would charge for postage though..

aurea23
06-22-2004, 02:09 AM
Hi king of the Nazgul

I have had similar quotes and did raise this with bob @ sideshow and i believe he is looking into this. He has been awesome to deal with and i believe sideshow will do all they can to try and get us a better deal on the shipping.... Here is to awaiting cheaper shipping to be able to afford more statues...

Michael.

P.S i am in Victoria, Australia

gOzum
06-22-2004, 02:18 AM
Im in Melbourne, Australia, and have been quoted similar prices. As a result, I cancelled my order for Morgul Lord and Eowyn from Sideshow and placed order with a local retailer. I didnt have the guts to do this with Sauron though.

I've also bought larger items - such as Stone Trolls - from local retailer, but the lighter items I still buy and pay the shipping.

Having said that, I paid for Treebeard from the States. The piece arrived without damage, but I was shocked at how much I had to pay for shipping. Ever since I've been cautious...

If you guys can improve the shipping for us distant Aussies, we'd be eternally grateful! :grouphug

gooball
06-22-2004, 02:22 AM
I'm also from Melbourne. There's tons of people from Australia on this board! If this board is anything to go by, there is most likely a lot of Australians ordering from Sideshow. I think it shouldn't be too difficult to get better shipping rates. Honestly, I would start buying directly from Sideshow more often and I'm sure others would as well.

king of the Nazgul
06-22-2004, 02:39 AM
Well, I sure hope they can do something... because paying the amount we pay for shipping, is not far from ridiculous..and makes one really think about ordering, so, I hope SS are listening (reading..:lol ).

Goldberry
06-22-2004, 02:59 AM
the shipping charges from Sideshow's UK warehouse to Germany aren't an issue. What I've received was absolutely reasonable.
It's the VAT on top that makes the direct order so expensive in the end. :|

scriff
06-22-2004, 03:03 AM
I've paid at least more than a statue's worth of postage to get stuff from sideshow to here. I would buy more through them if it wasn't so cost prohibitive.

Scriff

PS - hey gozum - you never answered my messages!! :dunno

gOzum
06-22-2004, 03:09 AM
Scriff... what message? Re-send, as I got nothing :wave

scriff
06-22-2004, 03:18 AM
sent a message back to you gozum.
Sorry to everyone else at this being OT.

gOzum
06-22-2004, 03:51 AM
Sorry for OT too... still nothing Scriff.

My email is [email protected]

Lynxje
06-22-2004, 09:35 AM
I only once had an item shipped from SSW (and it was the tiny gollum EE companion piece) but anybody know what kind of shippingprices someone from the Netherlands can expect for Gandalfax, Sauron or ML (from the euro-warehouse)?

LOTR Brazil
06-22-2004, 09:40 AM
HI,

to Brazil the shipping cost of one regular statue is around US$100,00, almost the price of the statue itself, by USPS it drops to 50,00. If we consider a heavy one (Stone trolls, RWoS, etc..) it can be two or three times this.>: >: >:

My friend Rodlonghi can confirm this if he reads this topic.

I prefer to buy from sideshow but with these rates is impossible.

Great topic, thanks:wave

RodLonghi
06-22-2004, 11:22 AM
Yes, that's true Rodrigo. I just bought a RWoS last month and had to pay US$ 210 for shipping :bang . We both have lots of pre-ordered stuff with SS and am sure others also have.

By the way did you find any statue in your last trip to Miami ?

king of the Nazgul
06-22-2004, 01:26 PM
I think the least Sideshow could do is offer us some OPTIONS, I mean there have to be at least 4 different carriers they could use..And I am sure, 4 different price ranges...Maybe, to cut costs, a delayed shipping time of say 3-4 weeks, or something like that..( I mean does it matter..we WAIT so long for them anyway:lol :lol )..BUT, this should be an issue SS look at closely, because those shipping charges they quote us are VERY, VERY high. You guys in the US have no idea how "lucky" you are..

gOzum
06-22-2004, 02:57 PM
Here, here KotN! :toast

Let us have the items shipped by sea-mail... as you say, we're used to waiting for our statues, let us save some money for more WETAs :rollin

Chicky
06-22-2004, 07:09 PM
I have looked into the USPS shipping service ffor some of the items that you have been mentioning. For the size , weight and girth of the item and the fact that we need to use the USPS guaranteed document / tracking service it look slike even this will cost in the same range-$100 and change.

The economy service doesn't look trackable.

I will keep investigating this and hopefully we can improve the sservice befor ethe shipment of Sauron and Elessar.

Also, can posters make sure to mention their location, product ordered and ship cost with out taxes. This way I can compare all the specs with the destination. Its an apples to apples thing.

Thanks-
chicky

Balegon
06-22-2004, 10:09 PM
I too wish Sideshow would use other carriers like USPS. I did some research and here's what it cost to ship a 17lbs Ringwraith on Steed statue from USA to Singapore in Asia.

USPS Global Express Mail(EMS) = US$88.40 (amount includes insurance for US$275)

FedEx International Economy = US$124.08

so if I were to use USPS, I would save about US$35. IMO, the amount saved can be used to purchase some other SSW product.

Lasher33
06-22-2004, 10:11 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm still too busy at the moment to post regularly, but I do view the threads.
This particular one is interesting, because I too have complained several times about the shipping charges.
I'm very pleased that SSW is looking into it! :toast

Living in The Netherlands, we receive our items from the European warehouse, located in Kent, SE England.
The way the items are shipped, via courier, marks up the price per item with 50% or more. I've received a backordered weapon set where the shipping cost was actually higher than the item itself!

I understand the need for tracking the shipments, but the European postal services now offer this service as standard on their international European parcel lines.

One of my biggest grieves was the fact that some items were shipped separately, where they would easily have fitted in one box. I remember a situation where I received two boxes: one containing three helms and and one containing two helms... Needless to say, the shipping costs were killing. Especially when I received yet another box the next day!

I will be in the Kent for the next two weekends, but unfortunately they do not cater for pick-ups. I have a friend that lives just around the corner from the warehouse and I visit him several times a year. If only he could collect them for me :b

big al
06-23-2004, 12:20 AM
Good thread this, Hope it can sort out some of the costly postage issues,
I live in the UK and have yet to receive na item directly from SSW, do i have to pay more on top of the Sideshow price to have the item sent to me? Ie,courier costs? If i pay $200 for the morgul lord, and $20 for shipping, are there any costs on top of that which i need to take into account? :b

Winged Shadows
06-23-2004, 03:59 AM
Hey Big Al,

Yeah, you have to add on V.A.T (17.5%) plus Customs (% variable) plus Postal Handling fees (up to £15!!)

Also, since i'm in the UK, and that is the location of the European Warehouse, why do i have to pay V.A.T ??? >: I hope they sort that out (tho not likely to happen).

:(

babyd
06-23-2004, 08:53 AM
HI Al

Larger items like morgul lord will have UK shipping at around $46, I was quoted this figure by SS so add the item and shipping together then add 17.5% for tax, that is your UK total, anyone outside the UK will pay customs on top. As the EU warehouse is in the UK.

babyd

Lynxje
06-23-2004, 10:31 AM
That's not really true, the UK is a schengen-country, as is most of europe, so in those countries you will not have to pay additional taxes. My shipping quote for the Morgul Lord and Sauron is only 25 dollars btw, but I doubt that will be correct if the UK is 46 already.......

big al
06-23-2004, 11:12 PM
Jthanks for the input, really helped me out, but means iv gotta put about an extra £20 away each month to pay for them!
E mailed Sideshow, they said The total should come out to something like US $370.95. for gandalf on Shadowfax,
$300. for the statue, $52.50 VAT (17.5%), and $18.45 shipping. Not too bad i suppose, but still $50 more than i had bargained for, and its still about £80 cheaper thatn all other dealers selling him.
Thanks again all, ill stop tying up this thread now. x
:b

babyd
06-24-2004, 12:52 AM
I am in the UK and order from the EU warehouse

I ALWAYS have to pay 17.5% on top of any total it is for sales tax not customs. This is clearly stated on the SS site too. They will always charge this to the UK buyers.

I was quoted $47 for GFAX, MLord and Sauron. By SS themselves. From EU warehouse to UK.

babyd

Lynxje
06-24-2004, 06:08 AM
They charge the 17,5% for every item that comes from the EU warehouse, it's the UK VAT which I think has to be added for them to be able to have that warehouse there at all. Well, at least you know the bloody customsagents won't be ripping the packages open and placing the statues back the wrong way (and for me in the Netherlands 17,5% VAT is still 1.5% less than the dutch VAT percentage......

Winged Shadows
06-24-2004, 06:16 AM
Sorry, Sorry!,

i wrongly stated you will be charged customs fee, this is only the case if ordering from the US warehouse. you won't be charged a custom fee for items you buy within Europe.

:)

babyd
06-24-2004, 07:52 AM
IF ONLY SS would make an easier system, with all these different shipping charges for different items, I can't keep up !! Sales tax from EU warehouse, Customs from US warehouse !
Flippin' 'eck !!!

My head hurts !!

lol

babyd

glamdring
06-25-2004, 06:16 PM
SS, I am from Malaysia.

Pls negotiate with Fedex as well to lower the charges to Malaysia. A Sauron shipping quote to M'sia is USD160 !!! That is only for one piece. If 2, I'll be knocked dead.

Cheers. Keep up the good work.

creecher
06-27-2004, 09:06 PM
I have posted my ideas, in the same thread, in the General section. I am from Melbourne Australia. I would just like to add that it may be time for a Australasian warehouse. Oh yeah, how sweet it would be. :rock

aurea23
06-28-2004, 07:21 AM
yeah.... even if our orders could ship from New Zealand ? It would be cheaper in postage ?

Thanks
Michael
[email protected]

Balegon
07-03-2004, 08:34 PM
hey glamdring. I'm in Singapore. there is an official local distributor here in Singapore that goes by the name of Simply Toys. whenever SSW has anything to release, they will take pre-orders for the statues/busts. I've already pre-ordered my Sauron statue with them a few months ago and I only paid SG$450 or about US$265. I know they're willing to ship to overseas customers. they're doing it now for a collector in The Philippines. plus the staff are reliable and friendly so you wouldn't have any problems. here's the email addy: [email protected] :)

I agree that SSW should have a warehouse in the Asia-Pacific region. an ideal location would be Singapore or Australia. :)

Lasher33
07-08-2004, 10:13 AM
A few days ago I received the "You Shall not Pass" wall plaque. Shipping costs: $25,89 + VAT. Yesterday I received another shipping confirmation rom the European warehouse.

I keep wondering why when two (or more) shipments are so close to one another, they don't just combine them to save the customer on shipping.

Nazgul dfx
07-08-2004, 08:26 PM
Philippines? That would be me:) Simply Toys are great. I have preorders of many pieces

Nazgul dfx
07-08-2004, 08:33 PM
Got my Fell Beast Last month at about RETAIL price 150$us from the Hong Kong distributor Vernesco!!

I just emailed the Hong Kong dealer Andy Chung on the deal and Shipping to Philippines was 35$us

The Fell beast came in one piece but it looked like one of the fins have been dhipped and glued back :(

I emailed him about the issue and Andy never returned my emails. Kinda rude i think.

the chip was very minor so i dont mind.

Daeron the Minstrel
07-12-2004, 06:22 AM
Hi everyone.:wave :wave I haven't been around recently due to work and family commitments. But it's great to be back finally.

Anyway if shipping costs could be reduced to Australia then that would be awesome especially as like a lot of others here in Oz I have a lot of larger items on order.

As someone who has around 30 statues (the majority of which were purchased direct from SSW), the killer for me has always been the postage. These statues have cost me on average more than double the price than someone from the US.

A good example is the Balrog which cost me around AU$800 and was ordered directly from SSW.

As I have most of the ROTK lineup on order including Gandalf/Shadowfax, Sauron and the Morgul Lord I dread to think how much these statues are going to end up costing me when postage is taken into account and I realistically may have to cancel some of my orders and try to find somewhere local to purchase them instead.

The problem however is that by ordering from elsewhere I run the risk of missing out altogether on the statues I really want. I have already suffered this experience the hard way when I missed out on my Aragorn statue because the local distributer failed to secure their order for me. Even though they had my order for around 6 months. I am currently waiting for my beserker statue from the same company and fingers crossed I dont get messed around again. I know other people here on the board also have orders with this company so fingers crossed we end up receiving our orders.

I even contacted SSW direct to try and purchase their last Aragorn statue from the UK Warehouse and was told that items in the UK were for European customers only and that the US warehouse was for US customers only?????? I live in Australia????? Why should I have been limited to only purchasing from America and not the UK when I live overseas in Australia and will have to import the statues into the country anyway?????Go figure?????? (End Rant)

Anyway an Australian warehouse would be awesome as it would solve a lot of the problems that myself and a lot of other Aussies have suffered and may in fact be the only way I can realistically continue to order products from SSW.

30 statues x on average AU$350 = AU$10,500.

This is a very rough figure but it gives you some idea of the sort of money involved. I love these statues but realistically may have to stop collecting them as the price once postage and the exchange rate not to mention import duties are all taken into account is getting to the point of being too ridiculous to continue this obsession, epecially as the prices of the staues themselves have all risen and a lot of larger/heavier pieces are coming out.

Come on SSW help us overseas collectors out.

GrishnakhMan
11-29-2004, 08:41 AM
Personally, I've received quite a few 'double boxed' SS items...

I.e, last week I received one big cardboard box from SS with Legolas and Haradhrim statues and boxes inside.

I thought this was great as they are obviously using their brain and seeing that I have many items on order and rather than send them out one at a time they are combining them...

UNTIL I looked at the invoice, they may have boxed them up together but they still charged me 2 x shipping fees...

Hows that work...?

The Dwimmerlaik
12-06-2004, 09:45 PM
I feel Really bad SS doesnt send anything to Mexico that is very bad i can get naything only from a retailer that can ship to Mexico, that is a big problem.

Winged Shadows
01-25-2005, 04:20 AM
That sucks Dwimmer!!!

They can ship to all over the world, but not MExico. :dunno

peterpil
04-26-2005, 04:49 AM
I am also from Australia. Unfortunately I just had to cancel an order from Sideshow.com becaues postage for the 2 buffy figures + stone dungeon base cost more than the items themselves. The postage was something like 180 Australian dollars (around 130 U.S.) whereas the exclusive buffy :( and the exclusive master :( + stone base = $100.

That's why I'm reluctant to buy from sideshow.com, though I'd prefer to, because I've been getting much better shipping rates from sellers outside, e.g. on ebay. For the moment I'm just going to stick to pre-ordering items on sideshow.com and only the 1/4 which are more expensive and thus more economical relative to postage.

As other people have mentioned in this thread, there are numerous stores that sell sideshow goods, but at hugely inflated prices, even after taking into account the postage.

If sideshow was able to somehow get a cheaper deal, then I'd be definitely ordering much more from their website as I'm sure other Australians would, so it would definitely be in their interests to pursue this.

--Peter

charlie_k
09-09-2006, 09:01 AM
Sideshow shipping charges are joke, shipping cost to Czech republic for one 12" figure is more expensive than figure :banghead

pordey2
09-09-2006, 01:56 PM
I know, I know :rolleyes:

But if anything is wrong, they have a kickass CS :D

:chew

gambit
09-09-2006, 03:12 PM
Sideshow shipping charges are joke, shipping cost to Czech republic for one 12" figure is more expensive than figure :banghead

this post is a joke

I am also paying around 50 $ for shipping to Turkey but....

if you buy the 12" figure from another internet store and request them to send you with USPS, in this case you would pay 40 $ but unfortunately, internet stores can not sell you the exclusive item but regular.

besides, SS ships with fedex and arrives in 4-5 days to Istanbul to my door. When shipped with USPS, sometimes it takes like 13 days to arrive and mostly they do not bring to your house but you have to go to post office, which in a such big metropolitan like Istanbul takes 2-3 hours depending on the traffic.

Sideshow rules and I am very happy to pay 50 $ for a 12" figure for the best service in this world.

Red
03-09-2008, 06:51 PM
Being new i thought id breathe some life into this topic as it seems nothing has changed in regards to getting around expensive shipping costs to Aus and numerous other countries.

I have just received my first order from Sideshow and i must say i received excellent service from Alexandra C in their Customer Service Section.:)

I bought Lurtz PF which cost 345 USD with shipping costs of USD 147 which brought the sale to just over 550 AUD.

Now this is still a great deal better than buying it over here as it generally sells for 800 AUD with the cheapest ive seen at 750.

With limited chance of finding it on Ebay AUS and still having the problem of shipping charges from Ebay Int SS still seems to be the best way in some cases.

Certain items are cheaper over here when taking into consideration mail costs but i wish there was some sought of answer-deal that could be worked for people who happen to live outside the US.;)

I will continue to buy stuff but will just have to be in go slow mode compared to a lot of u guys if my bank balance is to survive.

Anyway hope i didnt come across as being to negative cause i really am looking forward to being part of the collectible family.:D

Mooncat
03-10-2008, 02:06 AM
EU Warehouse is based in the UK

UK shipping for a 12" is $20 ish

Maybe an Eastern based warehouse is needed dunno (but thats expensive for SSC)

Im guessing getting Medicom figures at the right postal and retail price is less of an issue for Australia ? With Medi based in the East ?

Red
03-10-2008, 04:16 AM
EU Warehouse is based in the UK

UK shipping for a 12" is $20 ish

Maybe an Eastern based warehouse is needed dunno (but thats expensive for SSC)

Im guessing getting Medicom figures at the right postal and retail price is less of an issue for Australia ? With Medi based in the East ?

Yeah i know Mooncat that the EU Warehouse is in the UK and i wouldnt know about Medicom so maybe someone else can help u with that. ;)

I'm not saying we're the only ones with expensive shipping costs and i know SS is somewhat at the mercy of FedEx etc but just throwing it out there as it seems it was discussed plenty previously with no real suggestions,answers.

Maybe theres no way around it and thats fine as it is just a small inconvenience when looked at in the big picture.:)

LordAzrael
03-10-2008, 04:24 AM

Nope. Its still international shipping. They aren't imported into Australia so best bet is direct from Hong Kong.

greyrabbit
03-20-2008, 11:28 PM
For guys like myself in the Australia or the Oceania region - would it be possible for SSC to ship from where they manufacture (China), rather than having product sent to the US warehouse from Asia, then being sent to Australia?. Perhaps with limited/exclusive/heavy items only?

I'm guessing there's no infrastructure in place to process orders that way, since SS is in Calif and they have to wait for their shipments to arrive in order to process them according to orders,(?) but I think China - AU would be cheaper postage, if there was a means to do it that way.

Get this from one of my invoices:

Sub Total: $54.99
Discount: - $0.00
Freight: $75.85
Sales Tax: $0.00
------------
Invoice Total: $130.84

For Exclusive Pricess Leia For ++++s Sake and that's USD!

I just think of how much more cool stuff I could buy from SS if it wasnt for such high freight cost.

Something has to be done :lol