Is the original GI Joe movie really that bad?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khev

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
I've never seen the movie but I'm aware that it was blasted for the introduction of Cobra-La and the changes made to Cobra Commander's origins. Did that really "ruin" the movie? I mean is it really bad overall or just "cheesy 80's cartoon" bad? If I like the show can the movie be that different?

All I've seen are a couple of clips and that sweet opening at the Statue of Liberty.

I've never seen the movie but I'm aware that it was blasted for the introduction of Cobra-La and the changes made to Cobra Commander's origins. Did that really "ruin" the movie? I mean is it really bad overall or just "cheesy 80's cartoon" bad? If I like the show can the movie be that different?

All I've seen are a couple of clips and that sweet opening at the Statue of Liberty.

I liked it. Its a SUPER cheesy 80's cartoon, and has some pretty lame story elements, but I enjoyed it, and still enjoy it today.

It's cheesy fun.

Cobra Commander being a multieyed mutant was ghey.

But Burgess Meredith as Golobulus rocked.

DON'T EVER WATCH IT!!! It will ruin G.I. Joe for you. Just remember them how they are. The movie sucks big time. Cobra-La was short for Cobra-Lame. And Cobra Commander being some multi-eyed alien freak was just uncalled for. He was clearly a caucassian in the tv show, not some white skinned freak.

Save yourself 2 hours of your life you can never get back! This I command!

It wasn't the greatest but worth a watch.....at least once. I think I saw around 4-6 times throughout the years.

I have it on DVD, and watch it & Transformers The Movie at least once a year. Its nostalgic and brings back loads of memories.

As much as Cobra-La changed the face of G.I.Joe, the movie is worth watching just for the incredible opening battle at the Statue of Liberty.
Back in 1986 I was a huge Sgt. Slaughter fan and this movie just fed my addiction.
I see this film in a similar light to Transformers the Movie from '86, they were trying to shake things up.

There are some pretty cool fights in this film,
Duke vs Serpentor
Sgt. Slaughter vs Nemesis Enforcer
Jinx vs Pythona
Falcon vs Serpentor

One last reason to see this film is, like it or not, G.I.Joe the Movie is a part of the G.I.Joe animated universe, the last chapter in my opinion. G.I.Joe the Movie is the last Sunbow produced G.I.Joe cartoon, ever. It also has some great high-quality animation, probably the best animation in the whole series.
Check it out and see for yourself.

Look at it this way, Do you like the old GIJOE cartoon?
If yes, then you will like the movie, as it's essentialy just a 5 part episode.
Also, the DiC series that came after sunbow kept running with the same story, following the movie.
Currious, which came first, the comic, or the show?

Look at it this way, Do you like the old GIJOE cartoon?
If yes, then you will like the movie, as it's essentialy just a 5 part episode.
Also, the DiC series that came after sunbow kept running with the same story, following the movie.
Currious, which came first, the comic, or the show?

The comic started in 1982 and was the very first comic book ever to have commercials. The cartoon started with the mini series/movie G.I.Joe the MASS Device in 1983.
Though they share the same characters the Comic and Cartoon are very different. For example, Snake Eyes was somewhat the main character until the late 80's were he became the main character with Scarlet as his love interest. Larry Hama, who wrote the file cards and basically created the G.I. Joe universe also wrote and sometimes drew the comics.

I actually really liked it. that being said I was a kid and the cartoon was all I knew of G.I. Joe. I can understand why those who grew up with the comic would be mad about it changing the whole joe story but for me it was good.

The movie is a classic. There's no way a true GI Joe fan could not like this movie. Voice acting was great, story was great, characters were great. I mean come on... Nemesis Enforcer. :rock

As much as Cobra-La changed the face of G.I.Joe, the movie is worth watching just for the incredible opening battle at the Statue of Liberty.

That was the GREATEST 80's CARTOON OPENING EVER...and the music for it was perfect! :rock :rock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9YeD4IOs8s

I love where Snake-Eyes flips the Trouble Bubble all the way around and hops in.

The movie was cheesy fun like it was said before, I enjoyed it for its entertainment. It was great!!!

But the comics are canon to me!

put in the line that says it ROCKED! when i rented it as a kid i watched it like 3 times in a row..in a row! i need to buy it now. of course as a kid i just accepted things in my cartoons.

That was the GREATEST 80's CARTOON OPENING EVER...and the music for it was perfect! :rock :rock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9YeD4IOs8s

I love where Snake-Eyes flips the Trouble Bubble all the way around and hops in.

The movie was cheesy fun like it was said before, I enjoyed it for its entertainment. It was great!!!

But the comics are canon to me!

that clip gave me chills. i thank you good sir.

Back