Do you think HOT TOYS will re-release their lines eventually?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicky

Super Freak
Reaction score
Once they've completed all the lines for Alien, Predator, The Terminator, Robocop etc, do you think they'll start over again and has a toy company ever not re-released popular toys? How soon do you think it might be and do you think they'll change the re-releases slightly to updated editions to make us buy them again?

For example, I still need Apone and a non-BD ED-209 but at decent prices. When manufacterers say "a limited run of 1000" have they ever lied? George Lucas did that with the (original) Star Wars videos saying they were available for the last time only then to bring out the SEs a few years later. Sneaky marketing ploy, eh?

EDIT: Yes, I know the BD versions are re-releases but even they sell out too.

Last edited:
They already do it, with their "battle damaged" releases of some of their figures. That's sort of a re-release, right? A couple examples being Predator 2 and Ed-209 (as you stated), and I guess Ripley (although the second version is included with the Power Loader, so she might not count).

I'd be pretty ecstatic if they announced releases for their C.Marines from Aliens. The price gouging on ebay is ridiculous. Rereleases would probably anger those who really really care about limited production runs, but I don't.

I don't know if Takara ever put a number on how limited their Batman Begins figure was, but they finally decided to do a re-release (which is great, considering ol' Takara Bats was fetching $300+ on second hand market).

Rereleases would probably anger those who really really care about limited production runs, but I don't.
Do Hot Toys care though?

Yes, I know the BD versions are re-releases but even they sell out too.

No I dont think they will. I believe Hot Toys would much rather move forward than backwards IMO.

There is a wealth of untapped licenses to be had, and re-releasing old stuff is counter productive.

Furthermore, licenses run out. Companies like Hot Toys are not gonna hold on to old licenses, paying out more money to hold, just to re-release something they have already made.

There is a wealth of untapped licenses to be had. Furthermore, licenses run out. Companies like Hot Toys are not gonna hold on to old licenses, paying out more money to hold, just to re-release something they have already made.
Interesting point - never occured to me. You mean to say a license holder only has that license temporarily so if HT decided to make another batch later on they'd have to apply for it (the license) again?

Interesting point - never occured to me. You mean to say a license holder only has that license temporarily so if HT decided to make another batch later on they'd have to apply for it (the license) again?

yeah i believe companies usually purchase licenses for a limited period.. its cheaper than buying the license permanently .. if thats even an option..

its similar with platform exclusive games.. as in a game will be released as an exclusive for ps3 for example.. however after a year maybe it will be released on other platforms.. thats cause sony has only purchased a temporary license to sell the game for a limited period, in this case the first year..

im not sure if im recollecting this right but i believe that was the case with the metal gear solid 2 on the ps2. it was released as a ps2 exclusive.. however was ported to the xbox and pcs after a year or so.

I don't think that they will or should re-release figures because it lacks integrity as a collectibles company. They already do enough rehashes with variants and battle damaged versions, let them move on to something new. If you don't have the old figures either pay up or forget about them. :D

You mean to say a license holder only has that license temporarily so if HT decided to make another batch later on they'd have to apply for it (the license) again?

Thats pretty much how it works.

No licenses are forever. They would have to reacquire the license, if it is even available. It may have been picked up by another manufacturer or the license holder is simply no longer licensing out its product.

Good thread. I do and I don't think they would do this, maybe yes as a re-release but as someone else here mentioned maybe with a small change. I've noticed in past similar products they a re-release is o.k. when its tweaked a bit, the collector always pays top dollar for the "Original"

A re-release? Sure, just please tweak it a bit!

They did it with Superman, so it's possible other characters could get the "slightly tweaked/re-released" treatment. I'm sure a lot of people would be happy to see Hicks (I would def buy an "acid scarred" version).

They did it with Superman, so it's possible other characters could get the "slightly tweaked/re-released" treatment. I'm sure a lot of people would be happy to see Hicks (I would def buy an "acid scarred" version).

Sure why not? I would think the minority of us here collect these things for finacial gain. If I was one of the unkucky ones buying the more rare ones off of Ebay for ridiculous prices then maybe a re-release would piss me off.

I don't think they would re-release entire lines but I could see them re-releasing certain figures.

I could see them redoing the entire Batman Begins figure and they might do so if they have the Dark Knight license. But then again, they might just want to move forward with the new costume and Joker.

I could see them rereleasing Rocky IV with a new head sculpt...which could be a vast improvement over the original one.

I don't know about Hicks or any of the other Colonial Marines, I think they want to move that line forward with the potential of the Alien Queen as a possibility but we'll really have to see where it goes.

I don't think they would re-release entire lines but I could see them re-releasing certain figures.

I could see them redoing the entire Batman Begins figure and they might do so if they have the Dark Knight license. But then again, they might just want to move forward with the new costume and Joker.

I could see them rereleasing Rocky IV with a new head sculpt...which could be a vast improvement over the original one.

I don't know about Hicks or any of the other Colonial Marines, I think they want to move that line forward with the potential of the Alien Queen as a possibility but we'll really have to see where it goes.

Why though? I thought it looked quite good.

Why though? I thought it looked quite good.

I do not own the figure, but from the photos I've seen and reading that some people were "so-so" with the head sculpt...on top of that seeing the stellar new Rocky III head sculpt....why not maybe revisit that figure and give it a sculpt on par with the Rocky III one?

But that's my outsider opinion on it...like I said, I haven't seen the figure in person. :monkey1 Someone who has it could probably vouch better for it.

I do not own the figure, but from the photos I've seen and reading that some people were "so-so" with the head sculpt...on top of that seeing the stellar new Rocky III head sculpt....why not maybe revisit that figure and give it a sculpt on par with the Rocky III one?

But that's my outsider opinion on it...like I said, I haven't seen the figure in person. :monkey1 Someone who has it could probably vouch better for it.

Ya thats the thing, before I got it I didn't think the sculpt was all that great but after getting it in person my mind changed immediately! Its really well done, looks just like him in Rocky IV. Hot Toys need Sean (Maulfan) taking their photos to do them any justice. :D

Back