PDA

View Full Version : WATCHMEN Movie Discussion (book SPOILERS)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

tomandshell
02-12-2007, 12:04 AM
http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/2563/watchmenoc2.png

Alan Moore's brilliant graphic novel Watchmen might finally be making its way to the big screen after a long history of false starts, studio interruptions and a veritable merry-go-round of directors hopping on and off the project over the last twenty years.

This time, the unfilmable work could actually start filming this summer due to the positive pre-release buzz on current director Zach Snyder's adaptation of "300."

http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=5207

I dearly hope that this is true.

Is it too early for Sideshow to get to work on obtaining the license?

Ven
02-12-2007, 12:11 AM
Watchmen is a DC franchise, I highly doubt it'll work with SST's marvel thing... maybe HOT TOYS or MEDICOM would get it.

Darklord Dave
02-12-2007, 12:23 AM
Don't see it coming from SSC, maybe DCD or competing figures from Takara, HT and Medicom...

PosterBoyKelly
02-12-2007, 04:47 AM
I'm mixed. The comic is SO GREAT no movie will do it justice period! But that wouldn't stop me from seeing it. I'm not gonna be a fanboy like "IT HAS TO BE GOOD" because almost all movies based on Moores work suck, and especially suck next to the comics. It's not even like the suck ONLY in comparison to the comics, but they're bad movies overall. So I'm not getting my hopes up.

Darth Caedus
02-12-2007, 10:41 AM
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Well Kelly, most movies based on his work do suck, but I thought V For Vendetta was pretty good. Sure, not as good as the original work, but far superior to anything ever done before that was based on his work. If done right, I could see Watchmen being quite good.

tomandshell
02-12-2007, 10:52 AM
Let's see how the director does adapting 300, and then we'll have an idea about his approach to Watchmen. It sounds like he wants to be pretty faithful.

And I guess that there's no chance of Sideshow doing something with a DC property. Didn't think about that...

:monkey2 :monkey2 :monkey2

Batty
02-12-2007, 11:17 AM
I've been waiting for a Watchmen movie for a looong time. I'm not going to get my hopes up until they actually start shooting.

I have a nice collection of Watchmen items, but I don't think I would buy 6" figures. I believe DCD actually made prototype figures a few years ago. They even had photos of them in ToyFare. Then Moore shot them down.

Bannister
02-12-2007, 04:30 PM
I've been waiting for a Watchmen movie for a looong time. I'm not going to get my hopes up until they actually start shooting.

I have a nice collection of Watchmen items, but I don't think I would buy 6" figures. I believe DCD actually made prototype figures a few years ago. They even had photos of them in ToyFare. Then Moore shot them down.
From what I understand Moore hates everything anyone does of his work. This thread reminds me I need to read Watchmen again.

Batty
02-12-2007, 05:28 PM
I found some pics of the DCD proto figures shown in 2000. It looks like these were the only 3 made. Notice the translucent Dr. Manhattan variant in the back.

http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/3964/silkspectreclosetk9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/5479/comedianfj5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

gdb
02-12-2007, 05:38 PM
The Watchmen takes me back to the 80s...

tomandshell
02-12-2007, 06:12 PM
I found some pics of the DCD proto figures shown in 2000. It looks like these were the only 3 made. Notice the translucent Dr. Manhattan variant in the back.

http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/3964/silkspectreclosetk9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/5479/comedianfj5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

And the alternate Comedian head on a stick.

Batty
02-12-2007, 07:01 PM
Since Moore stopped the Watchmen figures from happening, I wonder how NECA got the rights to do the V for Vendetta figure and statue. Did he refuse to let DCD do them? I wouldn't doubt it.

tomandshell
02-12-2007, 07:03 PM
Considering how the subject was handled within the story of Watchmen itself, it doesn't surprise me that Moore is against action figures being made.

Bardoon
02-12-2007, 08:00 PM
I'm sure it'd be a cool movie to see but I just found Watchmen very boring to read. I suppose because I read it nowadays as opposed to back in the 80's when it was a shocking comic story.

Of course the ending was one of the highlights.

DarkArtist81
02-13-2007, 09:07 PM
I really do hope they make it.... That comic is one of the all time greats... just a classic all around. It needs to be put on the screen. I never thought they could make "V" work and they surprised me there.... maybe it can work for Watchmen. :cool:

Darth Caedus
02-13-2007, 09:12 PM
my only problem with this movie being made is that it's so long, how can they make it into one movie? Just read this:

David Hayter wrote a 324 page screenplay addaptation to the graphic novel "Watchmen" by Allan Moore and David Gibbons which has been hailed as one of the most accurate translations of comics to films ever written.

Kinda off topic, but Hayer, who not only has the greatest voice ever by voicing Solid Snake and the "EA SPORTS, It's in the game", apparently is a great writer as well. He's an animal.

Ven
02-13-2007, 09:16 PM
I love the guy. David hayter is the ikea guy to Snake's Tyler Durden.

tomandshell
03-09-2007, 01:33 PM
Time for a little "Watchmen" update.

Zach Snyder inserted a subliminal frame of Rorschach into a trailer for "300" and here it is:

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/2452/rorshachtesten3.jpg

Still not sure how they are going to cast this part in a way that preserves the surprise reveal of his identity mid-story. If the unmasked version was largely silent and had good enough makeup and was only seen in brief shots then it might work. We were seeing Christian Bale the whole time in "The Prestige" and most people didn't catch it--maybe the same approach can work here.

Batty
03-09-2007, 03:00 PM
As Arte Johnson used to say: "Veeerry interesting!"

tomandshell
03-11-2007, 10:50 PM
Here's a recent interview with director Zach Snyder promoting 300. I just included the section towards the end where he started to talk about Watchmen.

http://www.comicon.com/thebeat/images/button.jpg

I guess word on the street is that you’re going to bring this kind of fidelity to Watchmen and sticking close to Alan Moore and Dave Gibbon’s original work. Is that true?

Yeah. I feel like where we are with the script right now is, in some ways, the closest that it’s been in any iteration to the graphic novel, in the sense that we’re trying to keep as much of the things that make the graphic novel awesome. That goes to everything: 1985, R-rating, everything. Which, by the way, it was never going to be before.

It was a PG-13 previously.

Sure.

Is Warner Bros happy with an R?

No. They’re mad at that. T hey don’t want an R-rated movie, but they’re cool with me. They’re like, ‘OK, if that’s what you think, Snyder. But it’s a bummer.’ [laughs] They have to leave a lot of money on the table.

Right. You can’t have the 15 year olds in there.

Exactly. But on the other hand, Watchmen is Watchmen, and I said, ‘Guys, the reason this movie works is that it’s counter. It’s anti.’ I believe audiences are ready for what’s the next step of the genre. It’s an exhausted genre right now, at least that’s what I believe.

That’s interesting, because while Watchmen has been under development for decades, but the book is a critique of the superhero genre, and you couldn’t have done that on film until now, when audiences are very used to the conventions of the genre.

Absolutely. That’s the cool part about it, for me anyway. Your movie audience is basically where your comic book audience was when the graphic novel was written – you’re basically in a place where you can make a satirical comment about a superhero and the audience will get it, because they have the frame of reference.

I’ve heard some interesting rumors about Watchmen, that the cast isn’t going to be like 300, which is a bunch of actors who aren’t marquee names, but rather that you’re talking to some very big names.

You know, we are and we aren’t. I gotta say I think we are when it’s appropriate, but it’s not driving the movie. There were some people who I was considering who are big names, but it’s exactly that at this point – we’re just talking about it. When you’re in the early stages of talking about a movie what happens is that everybody goes, ‘Tom Cruise! Brad Pitt!’ That’s the first conversation, and then you end up with the actual people that are going to be in the movie.

I heard rumors that Tom Cruise was actually interested.

He was interested. I did talk to him for quite a while. To be honest.

Ozymandias, would that be the role?

That was the role.

A lot of people have said that Watchmen should be a mini-series or whatever, but my feeling is that you want production value with Watchmen. The fans want to see it awesome and they want a lot of it. It’s hard, and it’s a trade-off, if you want it to be as good as it can be.

You’re really going to shoot the Tales from the Black Freighter, huh?

That’s my hope. My hope is to shoot the Tales from the Black Freighter as a supplement for the DVD, for the ‘real’ Watchmen.

Anybody else approaching this material, that would be the first thing they’d cut. It’s interesting to see how you’re approaching this – keeping that in really shows how you’re thinking.

For me it goes back to the why of Watchmen. The why of it is almost like what I was saying about Frank’s point of view. It’s funny, because Watchmen, politically – I don’t think Alan Moore could be any more opposite of Frank Miller. I think it gives you a little bit of an idea of how I approach it; the fact that I go from Frank to Alan shows that to me it’s about the work, what they work is, what they’ve done with the work and what it represents. They’ve both, in their own way, innovated, and they’re both geniuses in this convention we call graphic novels or comic books.

Darklord Dave
03-11-2007, 11:58 PM
OH MAN! Tom Cruise would be SO perfect for Ozymandias in so many ways!

But, I'm glad to hear that he's aiming for R-rated - I think this weekend proved that moviegoers will turn out for something that they believe in and we don't need to bring in the tweeners. WB should be a lot more comfortable with it now too.

tomandshell
03-12-2007, 12:38 AM
It's funny how Tom Cruise would be appropriate for the part. So much of the baggage and stereotypes that audiences would take into the theater would actually play very well into the character itself. Sounds like they were in talks but Cruise kind of decided against it, but after this weekend I think he might feel differently. It would be more of a Magnolia type featured supporting role for him and it would really work well. All of our feelings about Tom Cruise would apply so well to Adrian Veidt--it would be some pretty perfect casting and give him a chance to do something darker while playing off of his own image.

Another example of this would be Mel Gibson playing the Comedian. I doubt he would be interested, but it would be another case of an actor's real life image and experiences playing directly into the character being depicted on screen. All the things most people feel about Mel Gibson right now would be carried into the film and the audience would be perfectly prepared for the character's (relatively brief) role in the story. (I mean, how many people in Hollywood would love to see Gibson thrown out of a window?) But if that bit of casting doesn't happen, they should go straight to Ron Perlman.

Rorshach is going to be a lot tougher to cast. They need to get someone whose voice is distinct enough to carry the character when masked, yet have a face that could be suitably made up to be unrecognizable in the various shots of Kovacs before we know who he really is. His character (and his identity reveal in particular) is going to be tough to realize. Reading dialogue coming from two different characters on the page, you don't hear the familiar voice of the actor in both roles, so there is no way that you recognize that it's the same person. This is one of the things that makes the work "unfilmable" as many have said, but I think that it can be done with the right casting and direction. (Same with the President Nixon issue.)

I'm glad that Snyder is keeping the story set in 1985. It's going to be crazy seeing superheroes fighting in the Vietnam flashbacks, blowing up Vietcong helicopters and shooting women. (Imagine the Fantastic Four going to Iraq!!!) The premise itself (as we saw with The Incredibles) is simple and interesting enough to bring in an audience of people now very accepting of comic book movies--a group of retired/banished superheroes reuniting to investigate the murder of one of their former comrades--but people expecting a typical comic book movie are going to be in for a surprise. I think the current political climate is going to be an interesting part of why this film works today even with the period setting.

"God exists. And he's an American."

Batty
03-14-2007, 05:22 PM
I actually like Tom Cruise as an actor... I wouldn't mind him as Ozymandias at all.

How about Ron Perlman as the Comedian? It doesn't look like he'll do it, but it'd be interesting.

http://www.firstshowing.net/2007/03/14/ron-perlman-nearly-the-comedian-in-watchmen/

Gruff Old Bear
07-26-2007, 09:43 AM
The director of 300. Jackie Earle Haley as Rorschach. With all the SDCC product announcements, this casting announcement almost slipped by:
http://www.eonline.com/news/article/index.jsp?uuid=8536a0fe-bbb6-42b5-bda2-807e308dc009&entry=index&sid=rss_topstories&utm_source=eonline&utm_medium=rssfeeds&utm_campaign=rss_topstories

Bannister
07-26-2007, 09:46 AM
His career has certainly been resurrected in the last year.

The ill Jedi
07-26-2007, 10:16 AM
Never read Watchmen, but I am intrigued.

Rogue Trooper
07-26-2007, 11:23 AM

I dont really read any comics but i read this and it is really good.

Bonehead15
07-26-2007, 06:00 PM

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!

:eek :eek :eek :eek

Watchman is just about the greatest comic story of all time.

NOW GO OUT AND BUY YOURSELF A COPY!! :tap

:D

The ill Jedi
07-26-2007, 06:04 PM
WHAT?!?!?!?!?!

Watchman is just about the greatest comic story of all time.

NOW GO OUT AND BUY YOURSELF A COPY!! :tap

:D
:lol They always have 50% off sales on Trades at Comic-Con, so I will pick it up this weekend! Okay?

bwayne
07-26-2007, 06:09 PM
:lol They always have 50% off sales on Trades at Comic-Con, so I will pick it up this weekend! Okay?

Buy the Absolute edition if you can.

Bonehead15
07-26-2007, 06:37 PM

I guess. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

:lol

The ill Jedi
07-26-2007, 06:39 PM
I guess. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Would it please you more if I paid full price for it? :D

Batty
07-27-2007, 10:24 PM
The official site is up and running. There's not much there right now.

http://watchmenmovie.warnerbros.com/

Entropy
07-27-2007, 11:16 PM
YAY! I've been looked so forward to this. Hopefully they don't screw this one up like Moore's From Hell or League of Xtraordinary Gents. Setting it in 1985 is the best decision they could make. I was so worried they'd ditch the political Cold War bits and try to update it. Rumor has it that Synder will get his way and this sucker will be a hard R and do the comic's brutal story justice.

Who watches The Watchmen?? I do!

Xander
07-28-2007, 09:34 AM
I'm really excited about this!!! I really thought it was never gonna happen, or at least not the right the way. But it really looks they are doing it perfectly. Set in '85, now to me that's the single best part. It's really a period peice. Can't wait to hear more!!!:monkey5

abstractharmony
11-26-2007, 03:48 PM
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b206/abstractharmony/WMD-22648_select.jpg

Now THAT is awesome!

Bring on 2009.

pixletwin
11-26-2007, 03:51 PM
Hmmmm..... :dunno

The Mike
11-26-2007, 03:52 PM
I loved the Watchmen. I'm really nervous its gonna get screwed up on film but that pic does put me a bit at ease....

tomandshell
11-26-2007, 03:54 PM
He did a good job with "300" and I hope that he will do the same with Watchmen. My fingers are crossed, but it's a much tougher work to translate to film.

pixletwin
11-26-2007, 03:55 PM
Can someone explain this to me?

I feel so unhip.... :o

The ill Jedi
11-26-2007, 03:55 PM
Damn, I was hoping for a better pic. Still cool nonetheless.

abstractharmony
11-26-2007, 03:57 PM
I love it. Unless you are looking you don't realise it's him.

Perfect way to give us a first glimpse.

The other pics are just as good. The Gunga Diner and the Newstand all brought to life.

As a major league fan of this book I am SOOOOOOOO excited and these pics have kicked it up a notch.

Andy Bergholtz
11-26-2007, 04:07 PM
I'm about 1/3 through the book so far and I have to admit I'm bored senseless, I'm hoping it picks up in the last half.... :o

abstractharmony
11-26-2007, 04:12 PM
I'm about 1/3 through the book so far and I have to admit I'm bored senseless, I'm hoping it picks up in the last half.... :o

Really?

First time you've read it?

I bought issue two 'Absent Friends' when it came out and it blew my mind. All of the good stuff that Moore put into that book is amazing.

The guy was at the top of his game when he wrote Watchmen.

The Mike
11-26-2007, 04:12 PM

Watchmen is a twelve-issue comic book limited series written by Alan Moore and illustrated by Dave Gibbons. Originally published by DC Comics as a monthly limited series from 1986 to 1987, it was later republished as a trade paperback,[1] which popularized the "graphic novel" format. To date, Watchmen remains the only graphic novel to win a Hugo Award,[2] and is also the only graphic novel to appear on Time Magazine's 2005 list of "the 100 best English-language novels from 1923 to the present."[3]

Watchmen is set in 1985, in an alternative history United States where costumed adventurers are real and the country is edging closer to a nuclear war with the Soviet Union (the Doomsday Clock is at five minutes to midnight). It tells the story of a group of past and present superheroes and the events surrounding the mysterious murder of one of their own. Watchmen depicts superheroes as real people who must confront ethical and personal issues, who struggle with neuroses and failings, and who - with one notable exception - lack anything recognizable as super powers. Watchmen's deconstruction of the conventional superhero archetype, combined with its innovative adaptation of cinematic techniques and heavy use of symbolism, multi-layered dialogue, and metafiction, has influenced both comics and film.

Its one of those books though IMHO that you either really liked or really didn't. I haven't really met too many people whom were "in-betweeners"....

King Darkness
11-26-2007, 04:14 PM

Dont feel bad, i have no idea either:dunno

Ryanfromindiana
11-26-2007, 04:18 PM
My favorite comic story ever.....I'm scared to death of the film but who knows...300 was good!

JSA
11-26-2007, 04:19 PM

I've read Watchmen at least twice now, and it has still never "clicked" for me.
I keep re-trying it to see if I'll get whatever is so epic about it, but no dice yet.

My #1 with nothing else close is Kingdom Come. I'd love to see that as a film,
but there is no way it'd ever come together.

JS

King Darkness
11-26-2007, 04:20 PM
I'm intrigued. Maybe I will pick up the trade paperback.

I guess I have til 2009 to get up to speed:lol

Ryanfromindiana
11-26-2007, 04:27 PM
I love Kingdom Come and Marvels as well, but they never hit me like Alan Moore did in his prime. Miracleman, Swamp Thing, V for Vendetta, and Miracleman all stunned me when I read them...even now the guy writes some great stuff with League of Extraordinary Gentleman and Top 10. Alan Moore redefined what comics could be to me.

Darth Caedus
11-26-2007, 04:30 PM

I was in the same boat. I read about 100 pages and I was like :huh . But then as I read the rest, the book just because great. Can't describe it any other way. Don't know how they are going to make it into a feature.

RORSCHACH rules

EVILFACE
11-26-2007, 04:41 PM

Just buy the Watchmen trade. That is all.

Alan Moore is the greatest comic book writer ever. His run on Swamp Thing is untouchable.

piccolodaimaoh
11-26-2007, 04:45 PM
I feel so jealous of anyone who is reading Watchmen for the very first time.
If you don't have a clue but are interested in super-hero stories pick up Watchmen. It just keeps getting better every time I read it and it makes me appreciate the super-hero genre even more.

If you liked Marvels and Kingdom Come give Watchmen a try.

crasis
11-26-2007, 04:48 PM
I never really considered myself much of a comic book fan, so a friend took that as a challenge and bought me the Watchmen graphic novel for my birthday...and it absolutely blew me away. If this movie is even half as good as the book, I'll be happy. :rock

Shai
11-26-2007, 04:50 PM
Just buy the Watchmen trade. That is all.

Alan Moore is the greatest comic book writer ever. His run on Swamp Thing is untouchable.

:lecture:lecture:lecture
EVF KNOWS HIS COMICS.

WATCHMEN IS PROBABLY THE GREATEST COMIC STORY EVER TOLD....ALAN MOORE WAS AND IS STILL A GENIUS.

Batty
11-26-2007, 05:00 PM
I'm a huge fan of the Watchmen. I have the complete run of comics, the leather-bound hardcover edition, the Absolute Edition, the art portfolio... :lol

I think Jackie Earle Halie is a good choice to play Rorschach.

tomandshell
11-26-2007, 05:57 PM
Don't forget these as well--it's cool to see the news stand with the boy reading the new issue of "Black Freighter", and the Gunga Diner as well:

http://rss.warnerbros.com/watchmen/watch-1317_select.jpg

http://rss.warnerbros.com/watchmen/WMD-22669_select.jpg

Darth Caedus
11-26-2007, 06:42 PM
EVF KNOWS HIS COMICS.

WATCHMEN IS PROBABLY THE GREATEST COMIC STORY EVER TOLD....ALAN MOORE WAS AND IS STILL A GENIUS.

Too bad he's a freaking lunatic. But I suppose that just adds to his genius.

Andy Bergholtz
11-26-2007, 07:30 PM
Well then, I guess I just need to keep truckin' on the book and wait for it to get good. All the flashback articles (written by Nighthawk? can't recall at the moment) are just boring the snot out of me... I get the feeling it's all been a lot of setup until now, and some interesting things will happen around the corner. I'll give it another whirl.

p.s. That said, the imagery posted above is VERY exciting. Even for someone like me who is still on the fence about the book, seeing graphic art translated to film so flawlessly like this just makes me giddy regardless of the subject matter. My socks are goin' up and down like an old Fleischer cartoon.

bwayne
11-26-2007, 07:34 PM
Well then, I guess I just need to keep truckin' on the book and wait for it to get good. All the flashback articles (written by Nighthawk? can't recall at the moment) are just boring the snot out of me... I get the feeling it's all been a lot of setup until now, and some interesting things will happen around the corner. I'll give it another whirl.

p.s. That said, the imagery posted above is VERY exciting. Even for someone like me who is still on the fence about the book, seeing graphic art translated to film so flawlessly like this just makes me giddy regardless of the subject matter. My socks are goin' up and down like an old Fleischer cartoon.

I could never get into the supplimental material, but I could appreicate the effort that was put into it. That being said, I can't wait for this movie.

Bannister
11-26-2007, 07:52 PM
Too bad he's a freaking lunatic. But I suppose that just adds to his genius.

I still can't believe they got him to lend his voice to that recent Simpsons episode.

Batty
11-26-2007, 08:34 PM
I still can't believe they got him to lend his voice to that recent Simpsons episode.

That was great! "Watchmen Babies in V for Vacation!" :lol

IrishJedi
11-26-2007, 08:34 PM
The Watchmen >>>> just about everything else in geekdom.

Agent0028
11-26-2007, 09:52 PM
Hmm, sounds kinda interesting. I've never read it before but I think I'll take a peek at it. The wikipedia quote Mike posted sounds kinda like a novel I read recently Soon I Shall Be Invincible by Austin Grossman in that the superheroes are real and have been around for awhile.

What's the story with the Nixon poster in the first pic? (If that doesn't give anything away to those of us who have not read it?)

The Mike
11-26-2007, 09:55 PM
Its an important part of the plot. Nixon eliminates the term limits on Presidents and is serving his fifth in office during the tale's progression.

Batty
11-26-2007, 10:05 PM
Anyone who hasn't read it should check it out. But The Mike is right, people seem to either love it or hate it.

Agent0028
11-26-2007, 10:07 PM
Hmph interesting plot element. Does it have a strong political slant to it? I get bored when I read books with strong political messages because I find I usually disagree with the authors views and it distracts me from the plot.

The Mike
11-26-2007, 10:19 PM
I wouldn't say strong IMHO....I've read much more polarizing comics than this....

For those Rorschach Fans, this T-Shirt run is trying to get off of the ground over at RPF:

http://www.wackychimp.com/uploads/Rorschach-shirt-mockup2.jpg

They need only two more orders to get a greenlight....

Darth Caedus
11-27-2007, 12:15 AM
I wouldn't say strong IMHO....I've read much more polarizing comics than this....

For those Rorschach Fans, this T-Shirt run is trying to get off of the ground over at RPF:

http://www.wackychimp.com/uploads/Rorschach-shirt-mockup2.jpg

They need only two more orders to get a greenlight....

OH man, that shirt is AWESOME

piccolodaimaoh
11-27-2007, 01:03 AM
Hmph interesting plot element. Does it have a strong political slant to it? I get bored when I read books with strong political messages because I find I usually disagree with the authors views and it distracts me from the plot.

Watchmen has an alternate timeline, like if you ever read The New Frontier(the new movie looks great from the previews, by the way) were superheroes were prevalent in the 40's and onwards. The same world events happened, just that in this timeline super heroes exist and engage sometimes causing different outcomes from our real history.
When Nixon became President the most powerful super hero, and one of the few characters with actual super powers, went to fight in the Vietnam War and won. So instead of the mixed reception we have today with the Vietnam war it is seen there as a great success.
Nixon's power and influence grew with such victories thanks to the superheroes to the point that in 1985, when the story happens, Nixon is still President.
Trust me, if you read Watchmen you will see were a lot of super hero stories within the last 20 years got their inspiration. I am a big fan of The Incredibles and even that great movie has aspects of Watchmen in it.

D. Martin
11-27-2007, 01:19 AM
Hmmmm..... :dunno

I think you mean 'Hurm'

Really Marc, go grab the trade. Watchmen is a wicked story. Can't imagine how it'll be a 2 hour movie...

abstractharmony
11-27-2007, 03:54 AM
Mein Gott!!!!!!

That shirt is awesome.

How do I get me one? Isn't the RPF closed to members?

Bonehead15
11-27-2007, 03:54 PM
Watchmen is without a doubt one, if not the, best limited series ever..

...BUT I just can't get excited about this movie. :(

I just know that somehow someway Hollywood will completely ruin and tarnish the Watchman "name", much like the same thing that happened to Moore's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Now whenever you mention LXG the only thing most people think of is the god awful movie instead of the awesome comic books. :monkey2

The Mike
11-27-2007, 04:31 PM
If you are interested in the shirt PM me your email address and I'll pass it along to the organizer in your stead.

Darklord Dave
11-27-2007, 04:40 PM
I didn't get the Watchmen when I first read it. I didn't like Gibbons art (still don't). But after reading other Moore stuff I came back to it and appreciated it a lot more.

Batty
11-27-2007, 04:54 PM
I just know that somehow someway Hollywood will completely ruin and tarnish the Watchman "name", much like the same thing that happened to Moore's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Now whenever you mention LXG the only thing most people think of is the god awful movie instead of the awesome comic books. :monkey2

To this day I have not watched LXG. :monkey4

The Absolute Editions are beautiful.

tomandshell
11-27-2007, 05:24 PM
I thought the LXG movie was mediocre when I first saw it, but after picking up the originals and reading them, I realized how bad the film was. One of the worst adaptations ever.

Batty
11-27-2007, 06:22 PM
I thought the LXG movie was mediocre when I first saw it, but after picking up the originals and reading them, I realized how bad the film was. One of the worst adaptations ever.

It's no wonder Moore had his name taken off the movie. He's done the same with Watchmen. I think he refuses to have his name on any movie from now on.

Agent0028
11-27-2007, 06:34 PM
I've never seen the movie, but I have the first League of Extraordinary Gentlemen on my shelf waiting to be read.

bwayne
11-27-2007, 06:37 PM
It's no wonder Moore had his name taken off the movie. He's done the same with Watchmen. I think he refuses to have his name on any movie from now on.

I think he had his name removed from Watchmen because of his long feud with DC.

pixletwin
11-27-2007, 06:40 PM
I am intrigued. I will check it out this week.

Batty
11-27-2007, 08:47 PM
I think he had his name removed from Watchmen because of his long feud with DC.

Yeah, there is that, too. But I think he had his name removed from LXG because of how bad it was.

Darth Caedus
11-27-2007, 08:50 PM
Yeah, there is that, too. But I think he had his name removed from LXG because of how bad it was.

Removing his name from LXG is understandable because that movie was just horrible. BUT removing his name from V For Vendetta was a bad move, that movie is great.

wyrmn3500
11-27-2007, 08:51 PM
can't really blame him for having his name removed from lxg -- it was pretty horrific -- which is a shame, as the comic was fantastic -- hopefully this adaptation will fare better!

Darth Caedus
11-27-2007, 08:55 PM
can't really blame him for having his name removed from lxg -- it was pretty horrific -- which is a shame, as the comic was fantastic -- hopefully this adaptation will fare better!

i've heard nothing but good things about his lxg. did he only write one trade, or was it a whole series? I really loved watchman/v for vendetta/some of his swamp thing

Ryanfromindiana
11-27-2007, 09:04 PM
His names not on From Hell either.......(i liked from hell)

Darth Caedus
11-27-2007, 09:08 PM
His names not on From Hell either.......(i liked from hell)

I totally forgot about that. I really liked the book and the Hughes Bros. really didn't muck up that movie too much (besides hiring Heather Gramah, that's a WHOLE different topic in itself). But I think that it is globally understood that Alan Moore is a lunatic nutjob psycho crazy man. (especially with the hippy beard)

wyrmn3500
11-27-2007, 09:10 PM
i believe there are currently 3 volumes/ sets (vol.s 1 & 2 and lxg: the black dossier -- all are brilliant! definitely worth picking up if you like his other work.

Darth Caedus
11-27-2007, 09:12 PM
i believe there are currently 3 volumes/ sets (vol.s 1 & 2 and lxg: the black dossier -- all are brilliant! definitely worth picking up if you like his other work.

Excellent, always on the lookout to add to my graphic novel collection. There any sequential order they need to read in, or all stand-alones?

wyrmn3500
11-27-2007, 09:19 PM
vol 1 is the origin story, vol 2 is next in continuity and then the black dossier -- have fun! i'm kinda jealous -- wish i was reading these for the first time again!

Darth Caedus
11-27-2007, 09:38 PM
vol 1 is the origin story, vol 2 is next in continuity and then the black dossier -- have fun! i'm kinda jealous -- wish i was reading these for the first time again!

http://www.vgsheets.com/Smileys/gma/smiley.gifhttp://www.vgsheets.com/Smileys/gma/smiley.gifhttp://www.vgsheets.com/Smileys/gma/smiley.gifhttp://www.vgsheets.com/Smileys/gma/smiley.gifhttp://www.vgsheets.com/Smileys/gma/smiley.gif

Ryanfromindiana
11-27-2007, 10:03 PM
Top 10 is really underrated too...i found it to be pretty friggin' brilliant.

tomandshell
02-12-2008, 12:22 AM
I am rounding up some of the existing Watchmen movie related threads and sticking them all together in this thread to discuss the upcoming film adaptation of Alan Moore's graphic novel.

Anyway, it sounds like Fox is trying to keep Warner Bros from moving ahead on the project.

Read all about it:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=41860

I hope this gets settled and doesn't actually threaten the production.

Entropy
02-12-2008, 01:01 AM
Geezus, first the suit that threatens The Hobbit movie now this.... ugh! :google

At least Lost is starting production again and we'll see more than 8 episodes this year. :rolleyes:

Darklord Dave
02-12-2008, 01:40 AM
Not so strange that Fox decided to wait until principal photography was nearly complete before suing.

I'm wondering if Fox saw how the project was going and decided that it might be a successful movie. They had no faith in it when they had it themselves though, since they put it in turnaround.

Now WB will settle by giving Fox some of the distribution rights.

JBElliott
02-19-2008, 02:47 PM
Everything I've seen or read makes me happy about this movie. So far it looks to be the best comic adaptation of all time.

McHavyck
02-20-2008, 08:49 AM
New photo of Rorschach torching a SWAT officer...

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p86/chrismac99/watchmen.jpg

Darth Caedus
02-20-2008, 09:58 AM
Hell yea, the mask if perfect.

http://www.aintitcool.com/images2008/watchmen-small.jpg

tomandshell
03-06-2008, 01:02 AM
Posted at http://rss.warnerbros.com/watchmen/

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/9516/comedianxh9.png http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/5751/niteowlyd6.png http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/2139/rorschachts0.png http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/6516/ozymandiasjg2.png http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/7010/silkspectrexn3.png

Entropy
03-06-2008, 03:06 AM
Awesome pix! I wonder who will pick up this license? Now where's my 1/6 Rorschach?!

IronFingaz
03-06-2008, 05:02 AM
Those are some great pics:rock:rock:rock:rock I'm looking more and more forward to this movie. When i it coming out again? Isnt there some legal issues going on or something?

McHavyck
03-06-2008, 05:10 AM
Those are some great pics:rock:rock:rock:rock I'm looking more and more forward to this movie. When i it coming out again? Isnt there some legal issues going on or something?

OMG, YES...these pics are awesome! The Comedian is sleazy as ****!!

And Fingaz, apparently 20th Centry Fox still holds the rights and decided not to bring up the fact until Warner Brothers already had the movie in production.

They issued a desist letter, so they had to halt production until it's resolved but it looks like they at least wrapped shooting beforehand.

The official site is still listing the release date as 03/06/09

IronFingaz
03-06-2008, 05:45 AM
That's a real +++++ move.

It won't come out for another year:google That's soooooooooo looooooooooooong:monkey2

Shropt
03-06-2008, 05:51 AM
In as few words as possible, whats the big deal about the Watchmen comic? What is so different between them and, say, Superman and Batman?

IrishJedi
03-06-2008, 10:19 AM
In as few words as possible, whats the big deal about the Watchmen comic? What is so different between them and, say, Superman and Batman?

The main difference is that WATCHMEN is the best-written comic in history, period.

Darklord Dave
03-06-2008, 10:23 AM
I'm really happy with the look of the characters - keeps the feel of the originals, but makes them more movie/real world-ish. Ozy has that Superman feel and Night Owl definitely evokes the new Bat suit.

As for how Watchmen is different from typical comic books? It set the tone for how comics would be interpreted and written from the '80s on. If not for Watchmen, I doubt we'd have seen Nolan's Batman. It's an incredibly dark take on what the world might be like if super humans really existed.

MANDO
03-06-2008, 10:24 AM
This is gotta my most anticipated movie in a very long time and it's to see it's coming together nicely! Rorschach is probably one of the best characters ever written into a comic and by far one of my favorite characters to date from any medium. :rock

MANDO
03-06-2008, 10:26 AM
As for how Watchmen is different from typical comic books? It set the tone for how comics would be interpreted and written from the '80s on. If not for Watchmen, I doubt we'd have seen Nolan's Batman. It's an incredibly dark take on what the world might be like if super humans really existed.

I think DKR and Batman: Year One paved the way for Nolan's vision of Batman. The majority of Begins is based off the ideas of Miller's Year One.

piccolodaimaoh
03-06-2008, 10:48 AM

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/9516/comedianxh9.png http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/5751/niteowlyd6.png http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/2139/rorschachts0.png http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/6516/ozymandiasjg2.png http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/7010/silkspectrexn3.png

These pics look great and I can't wait for the movie. Only one question, were is the Superman of the group? Where is Dr. Manhattan?

Also on the significance of Watchmen, there would be no Marvels, no Kingdom Come and no New Frontier without Watchmen. Season 3 of the Justice League series took a real queue from Watchmen. Oh, and you can't tell me Marvel didn't get any inspiration for Civil War from Watchmen.

I have no doubt in my mind that if there were real superheroes today they would be the Watchmen. Who watches the Watchmen? I will.

Darklord Dave
03-06-2008, 10:49 AM
No pics of Dr. Manhattan? I guess he'll be all CG and they haven't nailed a look for him yet.

McHavyck
03-06-2008, 11:48 AM
No pics of Dr. Manhattan? I guess he'll be all CG and they haven't nailed a look for him yet.

Or they're waiting for a "big" reveal closer to the release date.

tomandshell
03-06-2008, 11:57 AM
Also on the significance of Watchmen, there would be no Marvels, no Kingdom Come and no New Frontier without Watchmen. Season 3 of the Justice League series took a real queue from Watchmen. Oh, and you can't tell me Marvel didn't get any inspiration for Civil War from Watchmen.

There would also be no "Incredibles" without Watchmen.

Entropy
03-06-2008, 12:04 PM
The main difference is that WATCHMEN is the best-written comic in history, period.

:lecture :lecture :lecture

I work with a guy who is a self described "comic book expert" and he refuses to read Watchmen because it "gets too much acclaim and is elitist". :rolleyes:

Silly Git.

Darth Caedus
03-06-2008, 12:13 PM

I was JUST going to post that. I would rather not know what he's going to look like.

IrishJedi
03-06-2008, 12:17 PM
:lecture :lecture :lecture

I work with a guy who is a self described "comic book expert" and he refuses to read Watchmen because it "gets too much acclaim and is elitist". :rolleyes:

Punch him in the face for me.

Darth Caedus
03-06-2008, 12:25 PM

Serious, how can you be a comic book expert and not read watchmen, that's just being stupid. You can't have that title if you haven't read the greatest one of all. OH, there's a reason why it gets so much acclaim.....

wofford29
03-06-2008, 12:35 PM

I'd rank it 3rd behind Dark Knight Returns and Batman: Year One.

wofford29
03-06-2008, 12:39 PM

Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with Mando. Dark Knight Returns came before Watchmen and changed the industry for good. I see it having much more influence on Nolan's vision.

Entropy
03-06-2008, 12:43 PM

Done and done. He sat there rubbing his nose saying "what was that for?". "Irish told me to", I said and just walked away. :lol

He's always talking crap about Alan Moore and Neil Gaiman even though he refuses read their stuff because it's "elitist". :confused: If anything is said to be great by too many people it must be crap in his mind.

After having several conversations with him about it, I realize he's basically just a Marvel only fanboy and I'll never understand how you can shut yourself off from so many other great stories because of an allegiance to one company.

This year will be a great comic book movie year, Iron Man, Hulk, Dark Knight, Hellboy II, but next year is Watchmen and it stands to become the best comic book movie ever. Everything I've seen and heard so far makes me think they're making all the right decisions.

Batty
03-06-2008, 12:46 PM
He's always talking crap about Alan Moore and Neil Gaiman even though he refuses read their stuff because it's "elitist". :confused: If anything is said to be great by too many people it must be crap in his mind.

He needs to be kicked in the balls for that. Maybe that'll change his mind.

Entropy
03-06-2008, 12:49 PM
I'd rank it 3rd behind Dark Knight Returns and Batman: Year One.

I absolutely love DKR, but Watchmen is much larger, deeper and grander in scope which I enjoy. There's a lot more going on in Watchmen and it is better written and more nuanced IMO.

wofford29
03-06-2008, 12:53 PM
I absolutely love DKR, but Watchmen is much larger, deeper and grander in scope which I enjoy. There's a lot more going on in Watchmen and it is better written and more nuanced IMO.

DKR drinks Watchmen's milkshake:D

I love your avatar, Plainview is going to be my next commissioned head sculpt.

siren3-4
03-06-2008, 01:12 PM
Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with Mando. Dark Knight Returns came before Watchmen and changed the industry for good. I see it having much more influence on Nolan's vision.

They are really different animals . . . TDK is a Batman story . . it plays within that universe and did set the "dark tone" that is all over comics today . . .

Watchmen is much broader and looks at comics in general as well as politics and superheros . . . and what it might really be like to have godlike powers (Dr. Manhattan) . . . It really is an amazing piece and you find more and more with each re-read . . .

Darklord Dave
03-06-2008, 02:48 PM
Thematically they are very similar and before either of them we'd never seen Superheroes treated in that way. I think Burton's Batman owes a lot to DKR, but I think Nolan's morally grey Batman owes more to Watchmen.

Ryanfromindiana
03-06-2008, 02:57 PM
Thematically they are very similar and before either of them we'd never seen Superheroes treated in that way. I think Burton's Batman owes a lot to DKR, but I think Nolan's morally grey Batman owes more to Watchmen.

Darth Caedus
03-06-2008, 04:43 PM

On second glance, I'm not a fan of the Ozymandias costume.....
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c1/Watchmencharacters.jpg

Shai
03-06-2008, 04:55 PM
I think i'm more anxious to see this movie than Batman, Hulk, Iron Man or anthing else....I'll be counting the days from now on. :rock

Entropy
03-06-2008, 04:58 PM
I like that it's vaguely Supermanish. It's changed the most from its comic counterpart, but surely it is better than this

http://tocooltobeemo.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/ozymandias.jpg

tomandshell
03-06-2008, 05:04 PM
Ozymandias' character has sold out and turned himself into a cliched promotional caricature to sell his own action figures, so I think he should have the most stereotypical and "comicbookesque" costume. I think they could have gone further in that direction and been safe in the context of the movie.

This will be a bit of a hard sell to the public, who will be expecting a straightforward comic book hero movie

(I do fear that they have cast this movie a bit too young, but I can live with it.)

screamingmetal
03-06-2008, 06:56 PM
Rorschach And the Comedian are perfect, I'm not liking Nite Owl or Silk Spectre too much, they're too different from the comic. Though I wouldn't want them to copy the comic costumes outright, something a little less movie Batman and more comic Batman is what I'd prefer. Ozymandias I actually like but I'd still prefer a more comic based appearance.

Darklord Dave
03-06-2008, 07:16 PM
It may be sacriligious to say so - but I never liked Gibbons designs for the characters. I prefer the movie versions a lot. Where it works, like Rorschach and Comedian he kept the design the same, but where he needed to make it more realistic he went that way. I was always afraid night Owl would look like a doof, but that suit is pretty cool.

Ryanfromindiana
03-06-2008, 07:20 PM
It may be sacriligious to say so - but I never liked Gibbons designs for the characters. I prefer the movie versions a lot. Where it works, like Rorschach and Comedian he kept the design the same, but where he needed to make it more realistic he went that way. I was always afraid night Owl would look like a doof, but that suit is pretty cool.

Ehhh...I was with ya til this.....i LOVE Gibbons designs...I found the art perfect. I always thought Nite-Owl was kind of supposed to be a doof and part of the story was his redemption. I'm going to have to read this again for the 1000th time now. :lol:lol:lol

screamingmetal
03-06-2008, 07:28 PM

I feel the same way about Nite Owl and Ozymandias to tell you the truth, but what they went with here is a little too much. They should've updated them but not make them look like they walked of a Schumacher Batman movie.

Entropy
03-06-2008, 07:51 PM

:lecture: I agree. The designs were ok for 1985, today they look dated and tired. The Silk Spectre I like and want to see more of. :monkey5 This Niteowl costume actually looks cool, and I like that it echoes Batman - a costume actually less doofy than the new Dark Knight costume. The Ozzy suit is growing on me, the evil Superman vibe I like.

piccolodaimaoh
03-06-2008, 09:21 PM
I really liked the original Ozymandias costume because it is pretty much a straight forward super hero costume. Plus, he derives his name from an Egyptian god and the costume was designed to look Egyptian and I always thought that was cool.

Bardoon
03-06-2008, 09:24 PM
I love the designs! I can't wait to see the movie.

Isildur's bane
03-06-2008, 11:46 PM
I feel the same way about Nite Owl and Ozymandias to tell you the truth, but what they went with here is a little too much. They should've updated them but not make them look like they walked of a Schumacher Batman movie.

Ozymandias especially, since he is suffering Schumacher nipple suit syndrome

http://rss.warnerbros.com/watchmen/OzymandiasFull.jpg

Darklord Dave
03-06-2008, 11:56 PM
Hadn't noticed that about the Ozy suit - he's got a bellybutton too. But I think this plays into the aforementioned idea that he's completely sold out and is a public figure. Snyder is going for the most crass expression of a superhero that has been seen in film before.

Mookeylama
03-07-2008, 12:07 AM
This will be a bit of a hard sell to the public, who will be expecting a straightforward comic book hero movie

(I do fear that they have cast this movie a bit too young, but I can live with it.)
weeeeeeeeee!

darthviper107
03-07-2008, 12:16 AM
I haven't read the comic but from a little bit of research it seems like something that can be really awesome so I think that it'll satisfy everyone.

Entropy
03-07-2008, 12:25 AM
Geez, the nipple suit makes me hate that guy even more. :lol I can't wait to see the scene of him showing off his action figures.

Batty
03-07-2008, 12:41 AM
Hadn't noticed that about the Ozy suit - he's got a bellybutton too. But I think this plays into the aforementioned idea that he's completely sold out and is a public figure. Snyder is going for the most crass expression of a superhero that has been seen in film before.

I think you hit the nail on the head.

tomandshell
03-07-2008, 12:57 AM
Geez, the nipple suit makes me hate that guy even more. :lol I can't wait to see the scene of him showing off his action figures. One of the great f'n villains of all time.

We had better put a spoiler warning in the thread title now...

:rolleyes:

Entropy
03-07-2008, 01:00 AM
D'oh. Sorry about that. Didn't even think about it. I'd be happy to edit.

Batty
04-06-2008, 09:09 AM
The first production video blog is up. Minor spoilers for the uninitiated. What happened to that spoiler warning in the thread title?

http://www.superherohype.com/news/watchmennews.php?id=7032

Darth Caedus
04-06-2008, 09:34 AM
The first production video blog is up. Minor spoilers for the uninitiated. What happened to that spoiler warning in the thread title?

Man, that looks amazing. Hope the movies is really well done. Can't wait to see Dr. Manhattan.

DarkArtist81
04-06-2008, 09:47 AM
That is amazing... They have replicated the "Watchmen vibe" with that set, perfect job. I cannot wait to see this film. Watchmen is one of the best graphic novels ever made, if not THE best. The fact that they are making a movie, and attempting to stay true to the source... it's amazing.

Entropy
04-06-2008, 10:51 AM
Amazing sets! I can't wait for this one.

Rogue Trooper
04-06-2008, 10:58 AM
Was suprised to see that they built the entire New York set, wonder when will get to see some pics of the Dr.

tomandshell
04-06-2008, 11:37 AM

Spoiler warning is back!

It's going to be a long year as we wait for this to hit theaters. A video a month is going to make the wait slightly more endurable...

Batty
04-06-2008, 11:54 AM
It's cool that they're doing these on the 6th of every month (the movie opens March 6th, 2009). I guess the costume pics where released last month on the 6th. It's all very calculated.

And I have a feeling it's going to be awhile before we see Dr. Manhattan.

Darklord Dave
04-06-2008, 05:16 PM
I didn't realize how big budget this is. 300 must have done really, really well for Warner Bros. The sets look amazing and very faithful.

tomandshell
04-06-2008, 06:09 PM
It looks like they decided to spend a little less on A-list actors and put more of the budget towards production design, and I actually think that was a good move. It's looking like the world of the graphic novel is going to be realized very faithfully, and getting the look and feel just right is going to be a big part of what makes this a success.

IrishJedi
04-06-2008, 06:12 PM
I continue to be very excited for this. Easily my most anticipated movie of 2009.

DarkArtist81
04-06-2008, 11:02 PM
I continue to be very excited for this. Easily my most anticipated movie of 2009.

Same here. It's going to be awesome for sure, these blogs and photos are giving more of a good feeling on this.

Oh, thought I would share with you guys my custom Rorschach... just finished him. Only took me a freakin year to do. :lol

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k203/DarkArtist81/Customs2/DSCN4209.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k203/DarkArtist81/Customs2/DSCN4208.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k203/DarkArtist81/Customs2/DSCN4210.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k203/DarkArtist81/Customs2/DSCN4205.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k203/DarkArtist81/Customs2/DSCN4207.jpg

Shai
04-06-2008, 11:10 PM
Same here. It's going to be awesome for sure, these blogs and photos are giving more of a good feeling on this.

Oh, thought I would share with you guys my custom Rorschach... just finished him. Only took me a freakin year to do. :lol

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k203/DarkArtist81/Customs2/DSCN4208.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k203/DarkArtist81/Customs2/DSCN4210.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k203/DarkArtist81/Customs2/DSCN4205.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k203/DarkArtist81/Customs2/DSCN4207.jpg

JOSH, HE'S F'N AWESOME !!!!

Darth Caedus
04-06-2008, 11:12 PM
JOSH, HE'S F'N AWESOME !!!!

I agree with that, if SS makes a 12" rorscach I will crap my pants.

DarkArtist81
04-06-2008, 11:43 PM
Thanks guys! I've been wanting to make one FOREVER. It took a lot of time. He's wearing the Exclusive CSM Coat, Freddy's hat, and the rest is dragon.

The sculpt was easy, took a Dragon sculpt and sculpted a mask over top of it.

I'm very happy with it. Now I just might have to make a few of the other characters to join him. :D

tomandshell
04-07-2008, 12:04 AM
Looks perfect!

I assume that DC will be doing any official 12" figures, right?

:banghead

carbo-fation
04-07-2008, 03:08 AM
I assume that DC will be doing any official 12" figures, right?

:banghead

:monkey4 I hope that's not true! Otherwise we'll be seeing 13" crappy toys instead of 12" collectibles.

IrishJedi
04-07-2008, 04:36 AM
Josh... that OWNS!! :rock :rock :rock

And, yes, Watchmen is a Warner/DC property... so probably no Sideshow. :( But we can hope Hot Toys will get in on that action.

Shai
04-13-2008, 05:53 AM
I'm reading the TPB , right now,after years in my comic books box.Still as good as it was the first time.:rock

IrishJedi
04-13-2008, 06:24 AM
I'm reading the TPB , right now,after years in my comic books box.Still as good as it was the first time.:rock

:lecture Agreed. This book never ages. :rock

crasis
04-16-2008, 08:01 PM
Watchmen figures announced!!

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20191746,00.html

http://erechoveraker.com/blogpics/watchmen_l.jpg

This may be my first time ever buying anything from DC Direct (I'm generally not much of a superhero fan, but I f'n LOVE Watchmen).

Batty
04-16-2008, 08:08 PM
Nice! I think I'll be picking up the 1:6 figures. Especially with Andy working on them.

DarkArtist81
04-16-2008, 08:11 PM
SWEET! Even though they are not HT... I don't care. Must own. :rock2

Shai
04-16-2008, 08:17 PM
Watchmen figures announced!!

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20191746,00.html

http://erechoveraker.com/blogpics/watchmen_l.jpg

This may be my first time ever buying anything from DC Direct (I'm generally not much of a superhero fan, but I f'n LOVE Watchmen).

:rock:rock:rock:rock

Entropy
04-16-2008, 08:21 PM
Rorschach's hat looks small. I'll get the 1/6ers. I hope Hot Toys makes stuff but I doubt it.

Shai
04-16-2008, 08:23 PM
I'll buy everything from that movie...I workship the Novel.

Batty
04-16-2008, 08:25 PM
I'll buy everything from that movie...I workship the Novel.

:rock :rock :rock

I already have a nice collection of Watchmen stuff. I can't wait to finally add some figures.

Entropy
04-16-2008, 08:28 PM
Sucks those comic version figures were axed a few years ago.

Batty
04-16-2008, 08:32 PM
Sucks those comic version figures were axed a few years ago.

Good ol' Alan Moore. :lol

Darklord Dave
04-17-2008, 12:59 AM
Where does it mention 1/6 figures? That would be great though - aside from Ozy, the movie costumes are very close to the comic versions so I'm okay with just movie versions. I hope that all the 1/6 don't come out the same time though. 6 x $90 in one month is a bit much even for my collectibles budget.

Shai
04-17-2008, 03:45 AM
Where does it mention 1/6 figures? That would be great though - aside from Ozy, the movie costumes are very close to the comic versions so I'm okay with just movie versions. I hope that all the 1/6 don't come out the same time though. 6 x $90 in one month is a bit much even for my collectibles budget.

Yeah, are the 12'' ever announced somewhere?

The Mike
04-17-2008, 09:59 AM
I think it just assumption since DCD has been pushing their 13" line hard and Andy mentioned in another thread that he's been looking at Rorshach images a lot lately...

tomandshell
04-17-2008, 10:30 AM
I don't think I have ever purchased a 12" figure from a company other than Sideshow. I would have to seriously consider these...

Shai
04-17-2008, 10:33 AM
I think it just assumption since DCD has been pushing their 13" line hard and Andy mentioned in another thread that he's been looking at Rorshach images a lot lately...

ahh that would explain why he's been reading the watchmen novel recently.DC. ask him to sculpt Rorshach....:rock

Darth Caedus
04-17-2008, 09:39 PM
Rorshach looks awesome

piccolodaimaoh
04-18-2008, 02:23 AM
I don't think I have ever purchased a 12" figure from a company other than Sideshow. I would have to seriously consider these...

Seriously? What about all the great stuff that came before Sideshow or the great stuff Sideshow doesn't make/import?

Batty
04-19-2008, 08:45 AM
Pics from NYCC. There will be a Rorshach 1:6 and bust. I sure hope the 1:6 is in the early stages.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb314/Batty_SSF/DSCN7248.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb314/Batty_SSF/DSCN7250.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb314/Batty_SSF/DSCN7252.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb314/Batty_SSF/DSCN7262.jpg

bwayne
04-19-2008, 08:47 AM

Josh's looks way better.

Darth Caedus
04-19-2008, 09:56 AM

Josh's looks way better.

:lecture :lecture :lecture :lecture I totally agree with that.

Shai
04-19-2008, 05:07 PM
And Josh's Rorshach's mask looks more accurate and less cheap.

Darklord Dave
04-19-2008, 05:21 PM
Josh's is great, but remember the DCD is a movie version and we have yet to see clear pics of the Rorschach costume from the film.

It would seem they're trying to convey how seedy the character is with the textured mask. I would prefer that the lines of the ink blot on the mask be crisper, but perhaps this is how the movie version looks, or perhaps they're still working on the best solution. Since these aren't likely to be out until March 09, they have a little bit of time to work on them.

DarkArtist81
04-19-2008, 09:48 PM
Thanks a lot guys! I do appreciate the support. And I'm currently working on a solution to get that head cast, along with the hat... to help everyone get the Rorschach they really want.

I'm interested in what they do filmwise, because in the comics the mask was a latex material that was heat sealed and the "ink" changed constantly from the pressure of his face inside it. So I will be very interested to see how they realize that on film.

I know the only way I was able to make it happen for the custom was to just sculpt it and paint. No other way to make it look the right way... at least in my eyes. :duff

The Mike
04-19-2008, 09:50 PM
I don't care if DCD's version is the film version shrunk and realized, I'll take Josh's version anyday. I'll be happy to skip their version and wait for DAs.

Shai
04-27-2008, 04:07 PM
older interview with Zach Snyder About the movie, but still some cool info in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5f2AmQ5Sms

Andy Bergholtz
05-06-2008, 02:36 PM
New video journal is up!

http://rss.warnerbros.com/watchmen/

tomandshell
05-06-2008, 11:20 PM
New video journal is up!

http://rss.warnerbros.com/watchmen/

That's a lot of costumes! This is my most anticipated movie of next year.

It's nice that such a cherished property is in such good hands.

DarkArtist81
05-06-2008, 11:37 PM
That's a lot of costumes! This is my most anticipated movie of next year.

It's nice that such a cherished property is in such good hands.

I agree with you there, Tom... I'm so happy this license is in good hands. I cannot wait to see it in action. I'm sure I will have a geek out moment or two. :lol

Rogue Trooper
05-07-2008, 01:59 PM
Does look like its in good hands.
Liking the look of the comedians 2 costumes. Who was the guy with the Nazi sig on hi schest, i don't recall that guy.

Batty
05-27-2008, 09:20 AM
More news; Zach Snyder is reporting a running time of about 3 hours. There's also a straight to DVD full-length animated feature being made for "Tales of the Black Freighter".

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/05/27/watchmen-three-hour-theatrical-cut-4-12-hour-directors-cut-dvd-planned/

http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/05/27/watchmens-minutemen-revealed-plus-running-time-talk/

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1008/watchmenminutemenimgie4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Darklord Dave
05-27-2008, 04:25 PM
Wow, that's a great picture! But I don't really need figures of the 1940s characters - those costumes are too cheesy.

Shai
05-27-2008, 04:36 PM
Simply awesome..its obvious that it will be a movie made for the fans.I dont think it will have a great popular success, but being a fan of the Graphic Novel, I cant wait for this.

piccolodaimaoh
05-27-2008, 09:56 PM
More news; Zach Snyder is reporting a running time of about 3 hours. There's also a straight to DVD full-length animated feature being made for "Tales of the Black Freighter".

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/05/27/watchmen-three-hour-theatrical-cut-4-12-hour-directors-cut-dvd-planned/

http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/05/27/watchmens-minutemen-revealed-plus-running-time-talk/

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1008/watchmenminutemenimgie4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

This picture says it all for me. This might turn out to be the best super hero movie ever. I love how cheesy Gibbons made the 1940's heroes look. These costumes are dead on. Thankfully the look is there, hopefully the story will live up to the pics.

Batty
05-27-2008, 10:15 PM
Every time I see something new, I feel more at ease. Unless something really gets screwed up, I doubt this movie is going to disappoint.

IrishJedi
05-27-2008, 10:18 PM
This picture says it all for me. This might turn out to be the best super hero movie ever. I love how cheesy Gibbons made the 1940's heroes look. These costumes are dead on. Thankfully the look is there, hopefully the story will live up to the pics.

:lecture :lecture :lecture :lecture :lecture

Darklord Dave
05-27-2008, 10:19 PM
Every time I see something new, I feel more at ease. Unless something really gets screwed up, I doubt this movie is going to disappoint.

I think it might disappoint Warner Bros. and maybe Alan Moore, but I don't think it will disappoint any fans. Snyder is pulling off a major coup by getting the studio to fund his little fanboy project.

IrishJedi
05-27-2008, 10:22 PM
It probably won't disappoint Moore because he will refuse to even watch it at all. Yes, he's that stubborn. Wait, is Bannister around? I mean to say Moore is that RECALICTRANT.

:p

Batty
05-27-2008, 10:31 PM
I think it might disappoint Warner Bros. and maybe Alan Moore, but I don't think it will disappoint any fans. Snyder is pulling off a major coup by getting the studio to fund his little fanboy project.

Especially if he gets the 3 hour version that he wants. And to think that there might be a 4 1/2 hour director's cut sounds too good to be true.

tomandshell
05-27-2008, 11:37 PM
It probably won't disappoint Moore because he will refuse to even watch it at all. Yes, he's that stubborn.

I wonder if he and Christopher Tolkien get together on the weekends and refuse to watch movies.

piccolodaimaoh
05-27-2008, 11:50 PM
Especially if he gets the 3 hour version that he wants. And to think that there might be a 4 1/2 hour director's cut sounds too good to be true.

Oh, God I hope your right because the only thing better than a three hour movie about Watchmen would be a four hour movie about Watchmen.

Shai
05-27-2008, 11:56 PM
The Comedian WAS the baddest MOFO EVER !!!!

MY KIND OF HERO !!!

SpawnFan
05-28-2008, 02:50 AM
Oh, God I hope your right because the only thing better than a three hour movie about Watchmen would be a four hour movie about Watchmen.

Damn yeah true that! I still think the LotR movies are waay too short and I don't want to feel that way with Watchmen so bring on the 4.5 hours Director's Cut into the theatres!! :D

DarkArtist81
05-28-2008, 07:44 AM

:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana

DAMN STRAIGHT. :chew

Batty
06-06-2008, 01:46 PM
The new video journal is up.

http://chud.com/articles/articles/15045/1/EXCLUSIVE-WATCHMEN-JOURNAL-3/Page1.html

DarkArtist81
06-06-2008, 03:21 PM

http://chud.com/articles/articles/15045/1/EXCLUSIVE-WATCHMEN-JOURNAL-3/Page1.html

Nice! Thanks for the heads up Batty. :rock

Bannister
06-06-2008, 03:21 PM
It probably won't disappoint Moore because he will refuse to even watch it at all. Yes, he's that stubborn. Wait, is Bannister around? I mean to say Moore is that RECALICTRANT.

:p
:lol:lol:lol
I still can't believe he agreed to be on The Simpsons. I thought that guy hated everything.

piccolodaimaoh
06-06-2008, 09:53 PM
:lol:lol:lol
I still can't believe he agreed to be on The Simpsons. I thought that guy hated everything.

Yeah but even Alan Moore had to laugh at the comic Millhouse had him sign - Watchmen Babies in V for Vacation. The Simpsons are still great and that is just comic gold.

Post 1,000

Rogue Trooper
06-07-2008, 01:28 AM

Cool video, that jel i use at work.

Ive covered my hand with the stuff and then put it into a blue flame bunsen and boiling water, you can harly feel a thing but it makes your hand feel cold. Wonder if i can cover my body with it and become the human torch.

Batty
07-01-2008, 05:59 PM
This isn't really movie related, but there's going to be a new book out by Dave Gibbons called Watching the Watchmen. I've already pre-ordered a copy at Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Watching-Watchmen-Dave-Gibbons/dp/1848560419/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1214944989&sr=1-1).

Product Description
Voted among Time magazine's 100 Best Novels from 1923 to the present, a perennial bestseller over the past twenty years and widely considered the greatest graphic novel of all time, WATCHMEN is a gripping, labyrinthine piece of comic art, which has earned an acclaimed place in modern literary history.
Now, you can enjoy the ultimate companion to the comics masterpiece, as artist Dave Gibbons gives his own account of the genesis of WATCHMEN in this dust-jacketed hardback volume, opening his vast personal archives to reveal excised pages, original character designs, page thumbnails, sketches and much more, including posters, covers and rare portfolio art. Featuring the breathtaking design of Chip Kidd and Mike Essl, WATCHING THE WATCHMEN is both a major art book in its own right, and the definitive companion to the graphic novel that changed an industry.
"I've had a great time, re-visiting the very beginnings of Watchmen and unearthing material I haven't set eyes on for many years. As a fan myself, this is the kind of stuff I eat up and I'm sure the many devotees of the graphic novel will do the same!" says Gibbons.

tomandshell
07-01-2008, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the heads up and the link!

And let's hear it for dust-jacketed hardbacks!

Entropy
07-01-2008, 09:29 PM
I'll definitely get that book. Sounds great.

DarkArtist81
07-02-2008, 06:41 AM
Wow.... That is a must have. Thanks for the update Batty. :rock

Shai
07-02-2008, 06:44 AM
I'll give that book a look. :rock

IrishJedi
07-02-2008, 08:59 AM
Definitely picking this up! :rock

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51PShg4zbOL._SS500_.jpg

Darth Caedus
07-02-2008, 09:31 AM
Yea, looks interesting. Might just browse it at Borders, but it's worth a glance.

Batty
07-02-2008, 09:35 AM
Yea, looks interesting. Might just browse it at Borders, but it's worth a glance.

Do not browse. Buy. :lecture

Darth Caedus
07-02-2008, 10:18 AM
Do not browse. Buy. :lecture

Okay, you convinced me

Rogue Trooper
07-02-2008, 11:38 AM
I'll give the only grpahic novel i own a companion, but no Moore is shame.

Batty
07-07-2008, 10:17 AM
This month's video journal is up with Dave Gibbons.

http://www.ugo.com/movies/watchmen-hq/

The Mike
07-16-2008, 06:23 PM
Watchmen's Ending Will Be Like the Graphic Novel

This great to hear:

When asked if they'd changed the ending, Wilson apparently just laughed. "I have to say, if you know how much Zack believes in it, you wouldn't believe he would go that far from the graphic novel. I don't know how those rumors start, but that'd be a stretch!" Beyond that statement, I'm not going to begin to even spoil the ending if you're not already familiar with it. You're more than welcome to do your own research on Wikipedia, but fans of the comic should have a smile on their face after hearing that. I'm definitely very excited myself to see the rather epic conclusion to the fantastic story play out on screen, especially after watching two hours of these characters beforehand. I think by that time we'll have established such an amazing connection with them, thanks to Zack Snyder, that it'll be hard to see them go.

Long article Here:

http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/07/16/patrick-wilson-confirms-watchmens-ending-will-be-like-the-graphic-novel/

IronFingaz
07-17-2008, 05:07 AM
First Watchmen trailer tomorrow!!!!!!

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=22942

IrishJedi
07-17-2008, 06:10 AM
Atom Hues saw the trailer last night and was "blown away".

DarkArtist81
07-17-2008, 10:16 AM
NICE. I can't wait to see it. If adam liked it, I'm sure I will. :rock

Batty
07-17-2008, 10:31 AM
Here's a great interview with Alan Moore. In typical Moore fashion, he wants nothing to do with the movie.

And I never pictured him being a huge South Park fan. :lol

http://larryfire.wordpress.com/2008/07/17/an-interview-with-alan-moore/

Rogue Trooper
07-17-2008, 10:34 AM
Sweet, really looking forward to that and hope for a Dr M reveal. Which i guess if its before TDK would be definate.

wofford29
07-17-2008, 11:40 AM
Trailer is up....

http://www.empireonline.com/video/watchmen/

Batty
07-17-2008, 11:55 AM
Wow! I was just expecting a teaser trailer, not a full-blown one.

Thanks for the link!

IrishJedi
07-17-2008, 12:04 PM
HOLY SHAT!!!!!!!!

:rock :rock :rock :rock :rock

crasis
07-17-2008, 12:35 PM
Mind. Officially. Blown!!!!!

IronFingaz
07-17-2008, 12:45 PM
:rock:rock:rock:rock:rock

AWESOME!!!! Didn't expect to see that much for a first trailer.

gabberjawa
07-17-2008, 12:57 PM
Amazing stuff

IrishJedi
07-17-2008, 01:01 PM
I've created myself a new avatar and signature image just for this momentous ocassion!

:rock :rock :rock :rock :rock

Shatterer of Dreams
07-17-2008, 01:18 PM
HOLY CRAP!!!! i think i need to go home and change myself, i was really sceptical but if the whole movie is like this.......

:bow:rock:rock:rock:bow:rock:rock:rock:bow

FQRizzo
07-17-2008, 01:23 PM
Linky not working!! Is there anywhere else to see the trailer?!

gabberjawa
07-17-2008, 01:25 PM
Empire wasn't supposed to have it up yet, and we reaped the rewards :D

Here's the youtubed ver: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A-rI7TTz2k&eurl=http://www.aintitcool.com/node/37504

Reinhardt
07-17-2008, 02:10 PM
unbelievable!!!!! i never read the graphic novel (i know about it), but i was completely blown away. Zach Snyder definitely has a bright future ahead of him. I loved this trailer, and this will be the last trailer i see before the movie now.

DarkArtist81
07-17-2008, 02:14 PM
HOLY.... Crap.... I think I need a change of shorts.

That was amazing, and nice song choice too.... really looks epic as Hell and they seem to have NAILED the characters. I cannot freakin wait for this movie.

Now I'm even MORE pumped up for the Watchmen panel at SDCC. No way I will miss that. :rock

DarkArtist81
07-17-2008, 02:15 PM
unbelievable!!!!! i never read the graphic novel (i know about it), but i was completely blown away. Zach Snyder definitely has a bright future ahead of him. I loved this trailer, and this will be the last trailer i see before the movie now.

Oh dude, you HAVE to read the Graphic Novel... Definitely do it before you watch the movie. It's the greatest, seriously. Nothing else compares. :duff

Reinhardt
07-17-2008, 02:17 PM
Oh dude, you HAVE to read the Graphic Novel... Definitely do it before you watch the movie. It's the greatest, seriously. Nothing else compares. :duff

i've heard it is AMAZING. i'm just not sure if i'll enjoy the movie more if i read the book first, rather than later. I've been disapointed far too many times with the movie never living up the book. i remember hating Jurassic Park when i saw it since it didn't follow the book at all and probably covered about 2 chapters worth of material. Years later i enjoy the movie now, but it was one of the worst theatre experiences I have ever had.

FQRizzo
07-17-2008, 02:44 PM
Un^^^^ing believable!!! I am pumped! ...and was that Smashing Pumpkins I hear? :rock :rock :rock

carbo-fation
07-17-2008, 02:46 PM
:rock:rock:rock:rock:rock:rock:rock:rock:rock:rock :

Darth Waller
07-17-2008, 03:55 PM
Where is it? The You Tube link has nothing either. :huh

IronFingaz
07-17-2008, 04:05 PM
Good thing i didnt close the window for the trailer at Empire. I can still watch it :joy

Darth Waller
07-17-2008, 04:09 PM
Good thing i didnt close the window for the trailer at Empire. I can still watch it :joy

Put it on You Tube and title it For Darth Waller. :monkey5

Darth Waller
07-17-2008, 04:15 PM
Found one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSrgvJ2JyHs

"God help us all." :rock

papa-alpha-charlie
07-17-2008, 04:48 PM
I suggest HD-

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/watchmen/hd/

Darth Waller
07-17-2008, 04:51 PM
Even better. Thanks!

Rugby1970
07-17-2008, 04:55 PM
Trailer looks AMAZING.

Everything looks perfect. Dr. Manhatten is perfect, Owl Ship is perfect, as is the Silk Spectre II.

The only question mark for me is The Comedian. Just not sure if Jeffrey Dean Morgan can pull it off. I'll try and have faith though.

Looks amazing and now I cannot wait until March.