It's time for a Battle Damaged Hicks from Hot Toys

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DouglasMcc

Super Freak
Reaction score
Ok, I already have the regular Hicks, so I can live without another. But, with the prices on him skyrocketing and new comers unable to add arguable the most important marine to their collections, I think it's time for a Predator 2 BD style re-release to help some of the peeps out. Could add some acid damage to his armor and possibly give him a bloody face/ clothes. A new accessory or 2 as well. That way, everyone could be happy. Hell, I might buy another if the acid damaged armor looked good.

100% agree. I was thinking of picking up a hicks, but the prices are ridiculous. I saw one end at $1000+!!!!

Ok, I already have the regular Hicks, so I can live without another. But, with the prices on him skyrocketing and new comers unable to add arguable the most important marine to their collections, I think it's time for a Predator 2 BD style re-release to help some of the peeps out. Could add some acid damage to his armor and possibly give him a bloody face/ clothes. A new accessory or 2 as well. That way, everyone could be happy. Hell, I might buy another if the acid damaged armor looked good.

right, new cunsomers like me
i'm unable to find a vasquez too, i'm a bit worried...i just don't understand all that politic of hot toys, just if an article has high success and high demand why they are so restrict in production , simply absurd
they should re-release every stuff that's had such success like the uscm, and with real likeness also

Please no more variants :((

And, exactly how does a variant hurt you personally? It won't tax Hot Toys, because all they would have to do is modify the mold slightly (or do the damage with paint ops). Hell, it would let Hot Toys profit instead of scalpers. Plus, it would be different enough to keep the uniqueness of the original release. If you have a valid reason for not wanting it, please share. I will respect that. But, if you are just being selfish, think of your fellow collectors who have to go without. That's what I am doing.

P.S. A rehash would also put more loose parts out there for modders and customizers.

battle damaged body armor with the acid burns and such. they could do hudson as well with acid burn arm and such. Either way it would be nice for a BD hicks, i really doubt it would happen. BUT if it does Ill be right there waiting.

I think Hot Toys is done with the Aliens line. If we see anything else from the Aliens line its gonna be an alien queen.

I really dont see HT going back to the marines.

This would be an easy custom. Get a HT Stoner head or a custom head from Les and then the shirt and pants and boots.

And, exactly how does a variant hurt you personally? It won't tax Hot Toys, because all they would have to do is modify the mold slightly (or do the damage with paint ops). Hell, it would let Hot Toys profit instead of scalpers. Plus, it would be different enough to keep the uniqueness of the original release. If you have a valid reason for not wanting it, please share. I will respect that. But, if you are just being selfish, think of your fellow collectors who have to go without. That's what I am doing.

P.S. A rehash would also put more loose parts out there for modders and customizers.

Buying a figure to only see another version come out is my reason, the P2 variants are a perfect example, how many figures do you wanna own of the same dude..?

all the power to you, all im saying is lets not let this whole rehashing of figures get out of control. If these figures keep selling HT will pump out more variants which will suck for the consumer, how do you know which figure to buy or if a variant will be released

Buying a figure to only see another version come out is my reason, the P2 variants are a perfect example, how many figures do you wanna own of the same dude..?

all the power to you, all im saying is lets not let this whole rehashing of figures get out of control. If these figures keep selling HT will pump out more variants which will suck for the consumer, how do you know which figure to buy or if a variant will be released

You had a valid argument with P2. With the short time between releases, that was a slap to the collector's face. But, the Hicks has been out for 2 years and is nearly impossible to find for a reasonable price now. How would that hurt the consumer? I am not calling for the entire line to be rehashed. Just the figure some of our Freak members need. How could A.) availability and B.) much lower price EVER be a disadvantage for a consumer?!? If you don't want a 2nd version, don't buy one. Yeah, I know it won't happen, but I wish it would for everyone who has had to go without.

Thats the game we signed up to play dude in the collectible arena, some figures get rare and some just die in the ass loose value.

HT would never jeopardize the status of this figures value growth to please anyone, i know a BD Hicks would sell a **** load but then from a marketing stand point 1000 for a Hicks is better than 129 for a BD Hicks lol

Thats the game we signed up to play dude in the collectible arena, some figures get rare and some just die in the ass loose value.

HT would never jeopardize the status of this figures value growth to please anyone, i know a BD Hicks would sell a **** load but then from a marketing stand point 1000 for a Hicks is better than 129 for a BD Hicks lol

Umm ... unless you are privy to some conspiracy Hot Toys scalping practices, that makes no sense. Profit Hot Toys makes off a sale of a SOLD OUT Hicks on Ebay for a ... oh, lets say one milllllioooooon dollars (sorry Austin Powers is on) - ZERO dollars. Profit Hot Toys makes off an instock Battle Damaged Hicks - well, it's manufacturing costs minus sale price, but it's still a Hell of a lot more than the Ebay route. Neither Sideshow or HT makes money off Hicks at it's current inflated price.

Your right there, but why would they eliminate its status and re- release it and make it accessible once again, they could do it but thats just going to bring the original Hicks price down a ton. They dont make money off it but i think they like the rep it has also, i could be wrong...

Your right there, but why would they eliminate its status and re- release it and make it accessible once again, they could do it but thats just going to bring the original Hicks price down a ton. They dont make money off it but i think they like the rep it has also, i could be wrong...

Nothing personal, but that "Rep" didn't stop them from re-releasing AVP figures, Predator 2, etc. They don't care what their figures sale for on the secondary market. Hell, I would be willing to bet, if they thought they could sell another 5,000 Hicks as BD versions, it would be out before the New Year. They care about profit, and only items they sale bring them profit. However, I can see them being hesitant to re-release Hicks since he is a minor character in the movie (talking in terms of role, not popularity). But, if they were guaranteed sales, he would be out in no time.

I wouldn't get one myself...

Unlike Terminators, Predators and Aliens, I like my Marines to be fighting fit...

But I still think it would look quite cool with the Power loader, Newt, the Queen and half-Bishop (but give us a whole one first...:p)...

However, I can see them being hesitant to re-release Hicks since he is a minor character in the movie (talking in terms of role, not popularity).

I agree with your analysis of Hot Toys' psychology for the most part. The only reason they would care about how much figures are going for on the secondary market is if they were using that information as a gauge to determine if they should come out with another version of that figure, or if they should continue with a particular line. But how is Hicks a minor character in Aliens? The only ones with bigger roles are Ripley and Newt, and possibly Bishop.

Nice idea,

Personally, I wouldn't go for it, mainly because acid damage to the armour would mean limited usefulness for kitbashing other stuff. But I can see it would have iconic value for some people.

Here's another idea: Now that HT have tooling for all the armour and film weapons, why not release 'no name' marines for kitbashing? Just a body, BDUs, armour, weapons and gear. Stand would just read "Aliens/ United States Colonial Marine", and the name on the armour could either be random or no name at all.

This would also get around the likeness licencing issues, and they could presumably throw the sets out pretty quickly before their Aliens licence runs out.

They could even leave out the figure and do equipment sets like the ACE Navy SEAL sets, packaged to look like a box of M40 grenades or a Smartgun ammo drum :cool:

Personally, I'd be all over these...

Cheers,
CH

I agree with your analysis of Hot Toys' psychology for the most part. The only reason they would care about how much figures are going for on the secondary market is if they were using that information as a gauge to determine if they should come out with another version of that figure, or if they should continue with a particular line. But how is Hicks a minor character in Aliens? The only ones with bigger roles are Ripley and Newt, and possibly Bishop.

I wasn't talking from a general market perspective. Hicks is the man, my second favorite character behind Ripley. But, when you ask general movie fans about the characters, you tend to get "and the marines were cool." Hicks, Hudson, Apone, et. al. tend to get lumped into the same group. So, I could see the marketing department rationalizing that another Hicks wasn't worth the trouble. I never meant to imply Hicks wasn't important to the story. The only person/people who though that were the producers of Alien3 - :monkey3

Also keep in mind that the terms of the contract between Hot Toys and 20th Century FOX may limit what they can and can't do with the characters. I know it sounds strange but here's an example.

For those not familiar, the Street Fighter video game, action figure license (owned by game company, CAPCOM) is currently in the hands of SOTA Toys. CAPCOM will NOT allow any "beat-up" versions of their character. SOTA tried releasing a battle-damage version of Ryu and Sagat, but CAPCOM negated them and informed SOTA to refrain from "beat-up" characters. Nevertheless some leaked out anyways. SOTA's President at the time, Jerry Masculo (sp?) stated this publicly on some action figure forums in regards to the character variants.

Back