I hope SS gives plenty of nods to the old GI Joe toy line

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khev

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
For instance if they make everyone's weapons more real-life accurate then I hope they still offer throwbacks to the toy line as extra or exclusive accessories.

If Firefly's submachine gun is updated to be black then I'd at least want them to release a light green gun as the exclusive. The same goes for any figure who might get any "updates".

firefly.jpg

I think they will sure be sensitive to it.... Bib Fortuna has the same exclusive staff as his old kenner counterpart

...So, I want Zartan bearded dude mask !!!

I wonder if many of Sideshows exclusive items for this line will come in the way of paint variants.

We all know how paint variations played a role in the old Habro line.

As someone who isn't a fan, I think the cool factor will be what makes me buy them. And if they have funky colored weapons, or toy-like accessories it will turn me off the line completely. If they do them more realistically - like that Bradstreet Cobra Commander that everyone keeps posting - I'll probably get them.

As someone who isn't a fan, I think the cool factor will be what makes me buy them. And if they have funky colored weapons, or toy-like accessories it will turn me off the line completely. If they do them more realistically - like that Bradstreet Cobra Commander that everyone keeps posting - I'll probably get them.

I'm a Fan and completely agree. I prefer realism over faithfulness to the early 80's cheap production efforts on Hasbro's part. So no funky colors.

However that doesn't meant that SSC should skip the wild and weird weapons GI Joe characters have been known for. Buzzer has to come with his chainsaw rifle and gas can backpack.

As someone who isn't a fan, I think the cool factor will be what makes me buy them. And if they have funky colored weapons, or toy-like accessories it will turn me off the line completely.

I hear what you're saying but many of these characters are pretty outlandish to begin with. Just so you know the early Joes came with black or green guns, so I'm not talking about neon pink or blue. The Joe figures in the 90's had neon colors straight across the board but nobody liked those and I can't see SS updating figures post 1989 anyway.

This line is obviously going to be geared toward collectors who liked these in the 80's so I hope they don't completely ditch that 80's charm. They can at least offer the vintage color accessories as exclusives to keep everyone happy.

The new Hasbro Firefly looks nice, but he loses a bit of his identity without the green gun and phone. Give me the old school saboteur anyday.

firefly.jpg

Firefly-pose3.jpg

And a Zartan bearded facemask is a MUST. :rock

That I agree with. I dont want really kick ass 1/6 figures holding bright green or blue guns:lol

It was awesome when I was 8, not so much so at 28.

In order for this line to really succeed I think SS needs to keep it a bit on the realistic side,at least with coloring anyway.

That I agree with. I dont want really kick ass 1/6 figures holding bright green or blue guns:lol

It was awesome when I was 8, not so much so at 28.

In order for this line to really succeed I think SS needs to keep it a bit on the realistic side,at least with coloring anyway.

...............:lecture

I would agree that keeping the fantasy elements, such as a chainsaw gun, is important too - but it should look like a chainsaw gun that would be designed for a movie, not something from an 80s toy.

And the accessories were all one color back in the day to save money, I'm sure if it was cost effective they would have done the guns in appropriate colors.

Yeah, no goofy green guns for me thanks.

And unless I'm mistaken, the "bearded guy" mask that came with zartan was intended to be shipwreck.

I too prefer this line to be "realistic" interpretations of the classic Joes. I think the preview shows that. For example the close up chest shot towards the end is clearly Duke's, but it is realistic looking too. Scarlet is another example in the trailer, classic outfit, but still realistically done.

For the record, I wouldn't mind the Bradstreet Cobra Commander at all. Infact, it is probably my favorite image of the Commnder even though it isn't the classic outfit. He just looks like a freaking mean terrorist in theat image.

I'm sure Sideshow will give it the "realistic intepretation"...I wouldn't be surprised if we see some character's outfits slightly modified because of this.

But really it's going to depend on whatever the Hasbro/Sideshow contract states. Hasbro I'm sure has to approve EVERY figure (statue, etc.) that Sideshow is putting out there...much like how Lucasfilm has to approve all their Star Wars stuff.

In this case I'm sure Hasbro will let the work be more "collector-oriented" than "kid-oriented" like they have with GI Joe so much more in the past.

I think they've finally come to realize that GI Joe RAH is truely a "collectible" action figure line...hence why the new 25th figures are aimed mostly to the collectors.

Okay, once more, the guns for the first few series of Joe figures were BLACK or GREEN. Green weapons and walkie talkies exist, its a fact. :lecture

swatweaponaugsteyrleft.jpg

ak47phone3_small.jpg

amerBazooka.jpg

I'd just like SS to keep the appropriate vintage colors for the respective characters. Snake Eyes' Uzi: Black. Scarlett's crossbow: Black. Zap's bazooka and Firefly's submachine gun: Green. I have faith that SS will make awesome Joe figures, it'll just be a bit of a disappointment if they go black for the weapons straight across the board like Hasbro did for the 25th line.

SS can make this figure in 1/6 scale, match the colors and have it look absolutely badass, and I'm highly disappointed in any old school Joe fan who says otherwise. :nono

firefly.jpg

Ok, if the made firefly's gun look realistic, and green, like the styer Aug you posted, sure, green stock, black steel barel with heat sheild, sure.
But if it looked as awful as the one on the hasbro toy, only in 1/6 scale... i'd trash his gun and buy one made by dragon.
As long as they look realistic enough for the figure, I'm happy.
same deal with the Od green radio. i can deal with that. I'm just hoping for realistic renditions of our favorite oldschool heroes.

the awesome thing is, I gave up my gi joe 25th annaversery figures when I discovered sideshow. now i get to collect ones that are vastly superior to the hasbro figs, Rock!

Personaly, however, I prefer the look of the figures and their accessories on the new 25th annaversery figs to their 1980's counterparts.

I actually hated the different colors. I wanted them to all be black. :lol

As long as we don't end up with this

firefly.jpg

Firefly

recondo.jpg

Recondo

beachhead_med.jpg

Beachhead

What's with the MC Hammer pants?

Back