can our precious predator maquette last long enough??

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarvelFanatic

Freaked Out
Reaction score
i believe most of u all, just like me love our collections like grails.. But one think has been bothering me is that how long can they really last? Im not talking about those which are fully-polystone made like the sideshow dog alien maquette or predalien maquette.. Im talking about the sideshow predator maquette.

I have been really really tempted to get that holy grail of all aliens & predator maquette.. But one thing that is holding me back is not the price, but it is made like a PF, includes fabric n other real materials!!:monkey2 My questions is as time passes will those fabric material on the statue deteriorate or become damage and spoiled the overall outlook of the predator statue. (If yes, any idea how long or how many years later will it starts to deteriorate?)

That is also one of the same biggest reason why i did not purchase the hot-toys series of predators. Even though it is well detailed and looks great, but again it consist of other fragile material and is a snap-kit..:mad: Best example is my friend's hot toys predators collections, barely just for 2 years some parts of his hot toys celtic and scar predator have rusted and the netting begin coming off loose for no reasons as they were just standing in his display. Now the big question, Will this also happen to the sideshow predator maquette as some parts of its costume is made of fabric,real nettings and other materials. (Gosh! how i wish all those nets on it's body were polystone-craved just like the palisades predators, rather than using real nets:lol)

You may say that im picky or paraniod.. But the main point is that i dont wish to pay so much $$ for something that maybe can only last me and looks good for few years? Any comments?

Last edited:
i believe most of u all, just like me love our collections like grails.. But one think has been bothering me is that how long can our they really last? Im not talking about those which are fully-polystone made like the sideshow dog alien maquette or predalien maquette.. Im talking about the sideshow predator maquette.

I have been really really tempted to get that holy grail of all aliens & predator maquette.. But one thing that is holding me back is not the price, but it is made like a PF, includes fabric n other real materials!!:monkey2 My questions is as time passes will those fabric material on the statue deteriorate or become damage and spoiled the overall outlook of the predator statue. (If yes, any idea how long or how many years later will it starts to deteriorate?)

That is also one of the same biggest reason why i did not purchase the hot-toys series of predators. Even though it is well detailed and looks great, but again it consist of other fragile material and is a snap-kit..:mad: Best example is my friend's hot toys predators collections, barely just for 2 years some parts of his hot toys celtic and scar predator have rusted and the netting begin coming off loose for no reasons as they were just standing in his display. Now the big question, Will this also happen to the sideshow predator maquette as some parts of its costume is made of fabric,real nettings and other materials. (Gosh! how i wish all those nets on it's body were polystone-craved just like the palisades predators, rather than using real nets:lol)

You may say that im picky or paraniod.. But the main point is that i dont wish to pay so much $$ for something that maybe only looks good or only last me few years? Any comments?

Rust is an end result of moisture. What is he doing with his preds? Playing with them in the bath tub? :rotfl No seriously though. How does he store his stuff?

I bought a case from casesforcollectibles.com for my Predator Maquette. They cut a small hole in the back so just enough air can get in & out to prevent decay.

I really would hope that with the price I paid forit, it does not waste away in a few years...

That maquette will outlast you and your friend. And definitely longer than "A few years". Get a case like Blake suggested (do the hole thing too) to keep the dust off...and it will last a long...long time. I think your worrying about nothing. As far as the Bio tube...take it off the figure...brush some hair clipper oil on the tube...let it set on a papertowl for a day to expel excess lube and re-install. Do it every so often.

That maquette will outlast you and your friend. And definitely longer than "A few years". Get a case like Blake suggested (do the hole thing too) to keep the dust off...and it will last a long...long time. I think your worrying about nothing. As far as the Bio tube...take it off the figure...brush some hair clipper oil on the tube...let it set on a papertowl for a day to expel excess lube and re-install. Do it every so often.

outlast me and my friend?:rotfl i dun see the possibility of the nettings/fabric and leather-like material to stays in perfect good-looking condition for maybe like after 5 years? But then of course the polystone part of the predator will last for a damn long long time.. Maybe i should just get it and then custom-made a case (with the hole thingy) to display it plus to also protect it's materials from wasting away. thanks :chew

I'm not sure if there's a real concern here. I also don't know what the breakdown of materials used in making the non-polystone parts is or how long they will last. What I do know is my Grandmother has had a porcelain doll that was given to her as a child so it's almost 90 years old and the clothing on it is in fantastic shape and it just sits on a shelf not enclosed in glass.

Buy statues dude.:cool:

do you own a car? if so, why? it will deteriorate over time more than anything else. it's just a statue meant for viewing pleasure, not some museum artifact to be preserved for thousands of years.

A few people have complained of the metal spring tubings on the HT AvP Pred bio-masks rusting in the Predator threads, but others haven't had any trouble with them. It's not a major problem unless untreated, but with a little protective maintenance like gofourindian's suggestion, they should last a very long time. Other than the bio tubes, the HT Predators are like 99.9% plastic & other non-metal materials. I'd be more concerned about the rubberized parts, like the dreads.

In warm, humid climates, cloth and leather are very vulnerable to mildew, especially after being handled and then placed in a dark place. And anything rubberized will naturally break down over time unless steps are taken to preserve it somehow. Where I live, that is the worst problem of all. I have to watch certain things very carefully and make routine periodic inspections. It is extremely annoying to have stuff just fall apart or change its composition (turning into some kind of sticky crud) for no apparent reason!

If excess moisture and heat are a problem, then it might be a good idea to invest in a humidity-controlled display cabinet, at least for expensive grail pieces like the Predator maquette, if you're worried about the materials breaking down over time. That and regular maintenance should preserve your valuable collectibles for many, many years.

I'm not sure if there's a real concern here. I also don't know what the breakdown of materials used in making the non-polystone parts is or how long they will last. What I do know is my Grandmother has had a porcelain doll that was given to her as a child so it's almost 90 years old and the clothing on it is in fantastic shape and it just sits on a shelf not enclosed in glass.

wow!! that is very encouraging.. thanks:cool:

A few people have complained of the metal spring tubings on the HT AvP Pred bio-masks rusting in the Predator threads, but others haven't had any trouble with them. It's not a major problem unless untreated, but with a little protective maintenance like gofourindian's suggestion, they should last a very long time. Other than the bio tubes, the HT Predators are like 99.9% plastic & other non-metal materials. I'd be more concerned about the rubberized parts, like the dreads.

In warm, humid climates, cloth and leather are very vulnerable to mildew, especially after being handled and then placed in a dark place. And anything rubberized will naturally break down over time unless steps are taken to preserve it somehow. Where I live, that is the worst problem of all. I have to watch certain things very carefully and make routine periodic inspections. It is extremely annoying to have stuff just fall apart or change its composition (turning into some kind of sticky crud) for no apparent reason!

If excess moisture and heat are a problem, then it might be a good idea to invest in a humidity-controlled display cabinet, at least for expensive grail pieces like the Predator maquette, if you're worried about the materials breaking down over time. That and regular maintenance should preserve your valuable collectibles for many, many years.

Totally agree with u..

Now, could the hot toys predator last long enough for me to enjoy the view of it... the thoughts of it being a snap-kit disturbs me :rolleyes:

Being mostly made of plastic, I should think it would last a very long time.

Yeah! just hope those parts that snap and connect it's elbow and knee area does not loosen over time. Lets us just enjoy our predator collections for now and stay stress-free :lol

Back