Sideshow Presents: YOU can be the next GI JOE!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khev

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
Okay not yet, but remember back in the late 80's when Hasbro created that offer to actually become a member of the GI Joe team? You'd fill out a form stating your personality and combat expertise then they'd send you a custom figure (with a face mask of course) created specifically for the offer with a file card detailing the info you provided.

How cool would it be for SS to somehow emulate that in 1/6 scale form. Heck they could make a generic Joe with a custom file card and then particularly well off (or crazy) customers could try and commission one of SS's sculptors to literally create an accurate headsculpt of their portrait to go with it!

If this line takes off I'd love to see SS give it a try. :)

steelbrigade.jpg

Hey, I remember that. I wish I still had mine.

That would be pretty freakin' cool if Sideshow did something like that.

Yeah that was awesome. I was so excited as a kid to fill out that form and get the figure. I remember my codename was Womprat. :D

AWESOME. :rock :rock :rock

I totally remember filling out that form and waiting for what seemed like forever for my figure to come in.

Thanks for sparking another childhood memory w/this thread Khev. :bow

I would definitely be in if SS did this.

Great idea.

I love G.I. Joe

That'd be cool-- but I think that'd be great for multiple lines.

SW you as a jedi.
LOTR you as an elf.
DEAD you as a -- well, dead.

SW you as a jedi.
LOTR you as an elf.

I've been saying for about two years now, that a great contest for Sideshow would be to have somebody get "zombified" and put into the Dead line.

I'd love Sideshow to do a custom Steel Brigade figure! I also remember filling out the form, too bad I can remember what my codename was, would've been awesome to have the same custom Joe.
How cool would it be for SSC to custom print the base with your character's codename?
If that's not cost effective, maybe they can do it more affordably by embossing and printing on a metal dogtag that attaches to a special base?

DarthNeil said:

SW you as a jedi.
LOTR you as an elf.

Not quite, the Steel Brigade figures all had the same head sculpt, so the only real personalization was in the Filecard.
You think Sideshow's sculptors are pulling their hair out dealing with Hollywood actors, just wait until they deal with the fan base at large. :horror

Wow, I remember that!! I sent mine in when I was a kid... I was "Nightwing". I know... :lol

Still, that was a kickass promotion. I wish SSC would do that, I'd be all over it.

I actually talked to Sideshow about this at one of the events last year. They were dead set against making a figure from one of the fans at the time. I hope that changes some day. I suggested a contest to make a generic soldier from any line and have a contest that the winner would become that figure. They said it was something they were not interested in doing due to the image rights laws. I said they should include a waiver of all rights to the image as it applies to the specific figure and they still poo-pooed the idea.

I would love to have the chance to do this although I will admit I'd want to be a DEAD Zombie first. :D

I actually talked to Sideshow about this at one of the events last year. They were dead set against making a figure from one of the fans at the time. I hope that changes some day. I suggested a contest to make a generic soldier from any line and have a contest that the winner would become that figure. They said it was something they were not interested in doing due to the image rights laws. I said they should include a waiver of all rights to the image as it applies to the specific figure and they still poo-pooed the idea.

I wasn't suggesting that SS officially sculpt a fan's face, but rather do what Hasbro did and make a Steel Brigade figure with a mask that could be any of us and then ship a custom file card with it. Anyone who wanted to put their own headsculpt on the figure could do so through a private commission.

I like the idea they could do a generic headsculpt with or without the mask and if people wanted their head could do the private commission thig.

Bump to keep this thread (and the dream :)) alive on the off chance someone at Sideshow sees this and has the power to make it happen.

I want a 1/6 scale Steel Brigade figure with my name on the filecard. Make it so SSC!

Back