PDA

View Full Version : My review of the Palpatine/Sidious two pack

Michael Crawford
02-05-2008, 08:47 PM
It's a late one tonight, but I wasn't about to miss an update. My Sideshow Senator Palpatine/Darth Sidious two pack hit the doorstop today, and I spent as much time as I could tonight putting together my review. I'm extremely happy with how these turned out, even if they aren't everyone's favorite characters. They might be prequel, but you can't overlook the excellent quality of the sculpt, paint, outfits and accessories.

You can find all the reviews at the usual:

http://www.mwctoys.com

Thanks for reading!

Michael
MWC

tomandshell
02-05-2008, 08:54 PM
I agree with pretty much everything you said. This is a great set!

I don't think you can get much closer to the real thing than they have done with Palpatine.

Vader AL
02-05-2008, 09:02 PM
Great review as always.! Thanks!

"I don't ever recall seeing Palpatine with a lightsaber (that would have given away his hidden Sith personality), but it's nice to have them for display purposes, and I'm assuming we saw it at some point and I'm just blanking on it."

palpy held a lightsaber when Mace and the gang arrived to arrest him. pulled it out of his sleeve.

typo:

The Sidious sculpt is great as well, although there are a few issues that make it not quite as dead on for me. I think it's the hair, which we didn't get a terrific look at in the film, but which seems too full and thick here. That's probably because we say his full head better in the OT, when he was much older. He also doesn't seem quite as pruned up as he seemed in the film particularly in the face.

The Chaver
02-05-2008, 09:12 PM
I felt the same way about his face,it just doesn't seem pruned up enough.

darthCipan
02-05-2008, 09:30 PM
Great review as always Micheal. Sideshow's head sculpt does seems to be improving with every new figure coming out. Make sure to maintain the paint apps quality tho as that's one of the main killer for the sculpt :) Keep up the good work Sideshow.

Wow, I just love the hooded palpatine pic in Micheal's review :) great stuff

galactiboy
02-05-2008, 09:43 PM
Great review and I actually feel the same way, Palps is just a bit better than Sidious. And starting out from the prototypes Sidious looked like the stronger figure?!?

I did notice a typo (I know you were rushed today) that has the exclusive edition size at 200, should be 2000.

Also, check you Palpatine hands... I thought they were the same on mine, but after a lot of scrutiny I noticed one hand had the pointer finger higher than the others, and the other it was the index finger. Hardly worth the trouble, but there you have it :D

EVILFACE
02-05-2008, 09:50 PM
Good review Michael, I agree with most of the points. I think the only bad thing on this figure set is the gold paint on Palpatine's sabers bleeding the silver through.

Great review as always Micheal. Sideshow's head sculpt does seems to be improving with every new figure coming out. Make sure to maintain the paint apps quality tho as that's one of the main killer for the sculpt :) Keep up the good work Sideshow.

I wouldn't say SS headsculpts are improving. They've put out some killer sculpts in other figures lines even before SW. Their Universal Monster ones are untouchable and same for all the F13 Jason. Like all companies, some are hit out of the park, some don't.

darthCipan
02-05-2008, 10:03 PM
I wouldn't say SS headsculpts are improving. They've put out some killer sculpts in other figures lines even before SW. Their Universal Monster ones are untouchable and same for all the F13 Jason. Like all companies, some are hit out of the park, some don't.

I haven't seen the universal monsters and F13 in hand yet, but I'll take your word for it Evilface :D

I believe the paint really does kill a good sculpt as what happen to Anakin IMO. After sending for a repaint, It does brings out more of hayden's look on that figure. With paint apps like the new ANH obi wan and palpatine, I'm for one will not complain :chew

galactiboy
02-05-2008, 10:08 PM
I do think for the most part its the paint that has been inconsistent. A lot of even the most complained about figures have looked pretty awesome with a talented customizers work. I've seen some great Han and Aragorn figures, but of which had bad paint work.

darthCipan
02-05-2008, 11:06 PM
Not to mention faramir and his shiny paint :rotfl

galactiboy
02-05-2008, 11:23 PM
Yeah, there have been some stellar repaints of him.

Mooncat
02-06-2008, 02:06 AM
Great review as usual

and just to be piccy theres a typo

says dad instead of add

wookster
02-06-2008, 03:20 AM
Well Michael you did your job, I was gonna pass on these but now I HAVE to get them. Palps looks great, very strong sculpt, and Sidious with the hood up is great, those last two pics make him look amazing.

Shai
02-06-2008, 03:46 AM
great review !!!!

Cheesus
02-06-2008, 07:05 AM
Great review and pictures as usual!

My only nit? It's not "Senator Palpatine". It's "Chancellor Palpatine".

Michael Crawford
02-06-2008, 07:12 AM
Great review and I actually feel the same way, Palps is just a bit better than Sidious. And starting out from the prototypes Sidious looked like the stronger figure?!?

I did notice a typo (I know you were rushed today) that has the exclusive edition size at 200, should be 2000.

Also, check you Palpatine hands... I thought they were the same on mine, but after a lot of scrutiny I noticed one hand had the pointer finger higher than the others, and the other it was the index finger. Hardly worth the trouble, but there you have it :D

Yea, I bet there are quite a few typos. Thanks for letting me know though, as I'll go in and correct it today.

Some folks here have done reviews like this, and they can appreciate that from the time I opened the box from the PO to the time that review was finished was about 90 minutes. Writing it, editing it, shooting the photos, editing the photos, putting it together...90 minutes. I don't like doing reviews that fast, but sometimes the constraints of life require it. I think it still turned out pretty accurate, albeit with a tad more typos than I like.

Michael Crawford
02-06-2008, 07:14 AM
Good review Michael, I agree with most of the points. I think the only bad thing on this figure set is the gold paint on Palpatine's sabers bleeding the silver through.

My personal point isn't that they are improving, but that the consistency is getting better. It's one thing to have an outstanding head sculpt once every third figure, and another to have one 80 or 90% of the time. With three in a row for 2008 that are excellent, I have high hopes that SS will give us more consistent winners all year.

wookster
02-06-2008, 07:18 AM
Some folks here have done reviews like this, and they can appreciate that from the time I opened the box from the PO to the time that review was finished was about 90 minutes. Writing it, editing it, shooting the photos, editing the photos, putting it together...90 minutes. I don't like doing reviews that fast, but sometimes the constraints of life require it. I think it still turned out pretty accurate, albeit with a tad fewer typos than I like.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, any one who has a family, day-job and still manages FOUR reviews a week, well, they get my vote!

Seaward
02-06-2008, 07:38 AM
Great review, as always! I particularly love the picture of Sidious hooded in the background behind Palpatine in the foreground. This might make for a cool display idea!

FlyAndFight
02-06-2008, 10:12 AM
Good review, Michael.

The Josh
02-06-2008, 11:20 AM
Yea, I bet there are quite a few typos. Thanks for letting me know though, as I'll go in and correct it today.

Some folks here have done reviews like this, and they can appreciate that from the time I opened the box from the PO to the time that review was finished was about 90 minutes. Writing it, editing it, shooting the photos, editing the photos, putting it together...90 minutes. I don't like doing reviews that fast, but sometimes the constraints of life require it. I think it still turned out pretty accurate, albeit with a tad more typos than I like.

Yeah, reviews can be a real pain in the arse sometimes.

galactiboy
02-06-2008, 01:07 PM
Yeah, I hope it didn't sound like I was busting your chops... I'm amazed you could crank that out w/excellent photos all in such a short period of time :rock

So are you hands different, or did you get two identical?

Michael Crawford
02-06-2008, 01:44 PM
I'll look again tonight, but I sure couldn't tell any difference last night when I held them next to each other.

And don't worry about pointing out errors - you guys are my editors! If you didn't let me know, they wouldn't get fixed.

galactiboy
02-06-2008, 02:34 PM
Here's a picture that might help, just ever so different. The hand on the right has the index finger raised higher, and the rest of the fingers have more of a curl to them. I think maybe its the same sculpt (vein pattern looks idenitcal, just less pronounced) but they were able to position the fingers a bit differently.

I think relaxed is on the left and Force weild (the one all the Jedi get) is on the right

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e381/galactiboy/palphanda.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e381/galactiboy/palphandb.jpg

TheObsoleteMan
02-06-2008, 02:38 PM
The knuckle patterns appear to be different as well, for what it's worth

Batty
02-06-2008, 02:39 PM
I had a hard time telling them apart, myself. I just hope we continue to get relaxed hands with future figures.

galactiboy
02-06-2008, 02:44 PM
The knuckle patterns appear to be different as well, for what it's worth

Yep, didn't notice that "in hand" :lol But in the picture the knuckle pattern is different. Still think it might be a reworked version of the other hand.

Michael Crawford
02-06-2008, 02:48 PM
:DYea, it's much harder to tell with the nekkid eye - especially if your nekkid eyes are as old and wrinkly as mine :D

TheObsoleteMan
02-06-2008, 02:59 PM
It's obviously just a slightly tweaked version of the old hand, so I have to wonder if there was some sort of miscommunication that caused this to end up as another left hand instead of a righty. It doesn't make any sense to make such insignificant alterations for just another left hand.

tylerd
02-06-2008, 04:24 PM
if ss officially named the chancellor figure palpatine and the sith figure sideous, then why is the bust called palpatine? shouldn't it be a life size darth sideous bust?

galactiboy
02-06-2008, 04:26 PM
It's obviously just a slightly tweaked version of the old hand, so I have to wonder if there was some sort of miscommunication that caused this to end up as another left hand instead of a righty. It doesn't make any sense to make such insignificant alterations for just another left hand.

On the site its listed as a force wield hand and relaxed hand :lol I would have preferred a gripping hand instead... since its just a minuscule difference.

Roc74
02-06-2008, 05:00 PM
You know after reading your review I was thinking the same thing when I got my figures today about Sidious cocktail dress. It does looking very fruity on him. I mean Flower patterns? Would Dark Lord of the sith wear Flower pattern cocktail dress underneath his robe? Kinda funny. :emperor

galactiboy
02-06-2008, 05:31 PM
Maybe that's why he's so angry all the time... he wants to live as a lady Sith, but society won't let him be himself. I can sense the conflict :lol

DarthNeil
02-06-2008, 05:48 PM
Great review...

I'll make my judgement in hopefully a week :cool: