Thank you SS for taking the GI Joe license

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khev

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
Seriously. I feel like this is vindication after the vomitous car wreck of a live-action film in the making. It was really looking like GI Joe was going to have an even bigger black mark on it than even Cobra-La or the Eco Warriors could ever manage, and in a sense it still will, but with SS developing figures and possibly PF's of classic Joes I'm happy to say that it'll no longer matter.

Its kind of like how He-Man got that lame anime revamp in 2002 but Mattel still released commemorative edition figures of the *good* designs and then BCI followed up with awesome DVD releases of the original cartoon.

The Steve Sommers Joe movie can just be anime He-Man while we all get to enjoy what I imagine to be the ultimate "commemorative" releases in the form of SS's new line.

And since, unlike SW or LOTR, the GI Joe characters are not based on real actor likenesses but rather card and cartoon art there shouldn't be near the scrutiny or dissatisfaction with the head sculpts. In that sense I see it being closer to Marvel, which without the restriction of human reference material has had home run after home run under SS's expertise.

What an exciting time to be a Joe fan. Bring 'em on SS! :flag :rock

I was adicted to GIJoe as a kid... I will be again (hopefully) Thanks to SS!!!

Here's hoping they include File cards for every 12" figure. If they do 12"

Yo Joe!!!!

GI joe surpassed Star Wars for me, in terms of playability and the awesome toy line, when I was a child.

Yes, indeed.
Thank you Sideshow!

YO JOE!!!!

Seriously. I feel like this is vindication after the vomitous car wreck of a live-action film in the making. It was really looking like GI Joe was going to have an even bigger black mark on it than even Cobra-La or the Eco Warriors could ever manage, and in a sense it still will, but with SS developing figures and possibly PF's of classic Joes I'm happy to say that it'll no longer matter.

Its kind of like how He-Man got that lame anime revamp in 2002 but Mattel still released commemorative edition figures of the *good* designs and then BCI followed up with awesome DVD releases of the original cartoon.

The Steve Sommers Joe movie can just be anime He-Man while we all get to enjoy what I imagine to be the ultimate "commemorative" releases in the form of SS's new line.

And since, unlike SW or LOTR, the GI Joe characters are not based on real actor likenesses but rather card and cartoon art there shouldn't be near the scrutiny or dissatisfaction with the head sculpts. In that sense I see it being closer to Marvel, which without the restriction of human reference material has had home run after home run under SS's expertise.

What an exciting time to be a Joe fan. Bring 'em on SS! :flag :rock

AGREED WITH EVERYTHING SAID IN THIS POST !!!! :rock

I'm curious what SSC does with the licence, but as I've said in the other thread, GI Joe, He-man, Masters of the Universe, Transformers... no thanks, not my cup of tea.

First Star Wars, then Indy and now Joe. It's like re-living my childhood all over again.
Thanks Sideshow!!!!!!!!

it's like the mid-80s all over again. Transformers, GI Joe and Star Wars line the shelves, with Indiana Jones coming up, and Knight Rider on TV. I feel 10 all over again!

Well, I am not as excited about GI Joe as most for one reason - there are simply too many "favorites" I would want ... I know I can't afford to buy 10 to 15 80+ dollar Joes, and I would have to be a completest with this license. So, it looks like a Snake-Eyes and (hopefully Storm Shadow later) for a Ninja fight setup and then I am done. Sad, but true.

One more point, and I am not bashing SSC pricing. If they are going to make them realistic with good outfits and weapons, the price is going to go up. Problem is, I wonder how long the line survives with 80+ price tags. GI Joe fans are used to 6 to 25 dollar figures. One of the main reasons I love the 25th Anniversary line is that I can pick up a cool flashback to my childhood for 5 to 6 dollars. I just don't see many collectors hanging around after the newness wears off and the costs start piling up. For you hardcore Joes, I hope I am wrong ... but I doubt it.

I'm only getting Cobra Commander....I think....

All I need now is for SSC or Hot Toys to announce Ninja Turtles, Thundercats, Silverhawks, and He-Man.

I'm totally down for the turtles, Shredder, Mumm-Ra, Monstar, and Skeletor!

GI Joe fans are used to 6 to 25 dollar figures.

Sorry man, you're wrong. :monkey1

CASUAL Joe fans might be used to those prices, but the devoted Joes fans spend MUCH more...especially for the vintage stuff...like Khev mentioned.

MOC figures & MIB vehicles (especially the early ones and the favorites) can be as high as in THOUSANDS. I paid around $200+ for my MOC '85 Snake-Eyes and you can get more than what I paid for him and others nowadays.

Even loose but COMPLETE figures can get a lot, especially if they're still in prime condition. My brother sold his '84 Loose, but complete Storm Shadow for around $90 because he was almost pure white.

I've been to 2 JOECONs (Orlando & Minnesota) and I've seen people spend hundreds just for one thing (more than likely a vehicle).

You got that right, Joe fans have and will spend money.

The higher price point SS is starting at may be to make up for possible lower sales on some character choices.

I'm in on them all!!!

Back