SDCC Thoughts

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

TolkienCollector

Thanx everyone for a great weekend. Hope everyone had a safe trip to/from San Diego:wave :wave

TC :bonk :eye :bonk

It was a great time in chat. So sad it is the last LOTR one.

I always wanted to go and meet with the Weta artists and Sideshow staff......sigh.

I almost regret going and not participating in chat - seems like everyone had a great time in there...

(I said ALMOST....) :rock

It was a great chat! Man, I haven't been this tired of sitting in front of a computer since Spooktacular! I'm going next year if there is any way possible! I finally get another week of vacation starting next March, so I guess I could use it for Comic-Con! :rock

Same here Johnny Boo. But SideShow will be back next year and maybe Weta will be there for since there are going to be a few films from the Chronicles of Narnia plus they may be doing something else to promote by then. If Weta will be there next year, I think I'm going to try to go. My friend who's into comics already wants to go next year anyway.

I am hoping to turn my one day trip into at least two days next year. It was a great event and I am excited to return next July!

Seems like it was a good covention, even though LOTR is ending (life goes on:( ). I plan on going next year too, wasn't able to go this time.

I'm happy for those of you that got to go . Wish I could have been there with you ! Hopefully Figwit and myself will be able to make it out there next year . Should have the money then , since LOTR SSW will be over with . It will be nice to finally have money in my wallet again !
:clap

Money in wallet?????? What's that? Been so long since I've had any....Thanks ALOT HoS!!! You're the one that got me hooked!!!!:thwak

This was an outstanding time. More fun than I could have imagined. I will give my full thoughts tomorow after I've gotten some sleep.

I fear a posting frenzy is imminent. :lol

You did us a great service Josh. I don't know where you got the time or energy to keep posting while you were attending this event. Love the pics and news you gave us while you were there. Thanks heaps.

:clap :rock2

No problems guys. Figured before I hit the sack each night I'd give ya some news of what I saw that would interest this group.

My Dad tells me you all got to talk with him in the chat?

Yeah Josh we were talking to your dad. Very nice bloke.

:lol I made a comment (there was a lady hogging the cam). That must be Joshes mum (only 'cause you seemed to be hogging the cam the night before)Suddenly 'Collector 43" (or something) says "That's not Joshes mum. I know I'm his dad"

:rollin

Yeah, he said he had a good time chatting with you all and that you all where very nice to him even about me :lol

Chat was great - I know praxitus and I were both there for about 9 hours. Thanks everyone. :toast

This is a lot longer than I had intended, so I pre-apologize. But I was a con virgin so I thought I'd put this up from a fresh set of eyes. (Note: There is a lot of Sideshow rah-rah in here so those of you a little more critical should just skip this. But, ya know, I'm a SS Freak after all and my main focus for attending in the first place?).

San Diego: Spent about a week online playing “find a hotel” -- with assistance from Bob, Josh, Sam, et al. After booking 5 in succession (cancelling them each as I managed to score places step-by-step closer to the convention center), I finally wound up at the Marriott Gaslamp Quarter. It was 1 and ½ blocks from the con (and literally next door to the brand new Padre’s ballpark) and the walk was great (especially at the end of the con each night when my feet were nothing more than bloody stumps). Not knowing the town, I found that I had luckily managed to get into one of its livliest parts. Everyone was afoot after dark; the broad sidewalks were abuzz with conventioneers and other tourists strolling along and having a great time. Pubs and galleries and restaurants and specialty boutiques galore in about an area of 6 to 8-blocks square. Loved the ambience. Reminded me of a huge block party. Along with the usual city traffic and cabs, etc., there was also a small army of bicycle rickshaws for hire. Took a ride on one going back to the hotel from the SS/SSF party Friday nite and it was a great way to see and experience the ambience of the area from yet another view.

The Con: I knew it was going to be big, but I was unprepared for just HOW big this thing was. Someone mentioned to me that the convention center, from one end to another was about 1 mile long. I don’t know if that’s true, but it sure looked and felt like it. (my feet felt like bloody stumps after a few hours and I can't remember how I managed to walk back to the hotel :thud ) Spent the first half hour going from one end to another trying to get registered. AFTERwards, I found the directional signs. d’uh. :rolleyes I entered the main convention floor and was literally ATTACKED by sights and sounds and people and displays -- instant sensory overload. Looked for the Sideshow banners on the ceilings and headed in their direction, but before I could go 10 steps, came upon the Gentle Giant booth. OMG! (will talk about that later).

After a short delay there, managed to put blinders on and made a beeline for Sideshow. That area was a madhouse. Dusty and Chris with their laptops were stationed at a counter and were answering the attendee questions as well as manning the chatroom online. The soon-to-be-Mrs.-Chris was pressed into service; she was the patient and unlauded hands moving the display pieces on the turntable for you guys on the webcam. On the other side was another counter for pickups of the con exclusives and the much-desired Sideshow goody bags (rumor was that even SS's goody bags were an exclusive :lol ). Sideshow’s area was defined by freestanding display cubes -- showing the latest products. Because these cubes were approachable from any side, we could look at the pieces from very close and at all angles. Throughout the area were no less than 10-15 (if not more) Sideshow employees answering questions, taking orders, and generally mixing with the public. It was a full court press. In prep for the Lance Hendrickson chat on Saturday, they had cordoned off the area a bit to provide him some buffer from the fans. Adam, Vikingmagyar, and I were seated in chairs to form a fence in front of him while he answered your questions. We were joined a bit later by Josh, Danny, Fubeca, Dave, and Sam. Chris took our begging to heart and projected the actual chat scroll on a large monitor so we could read your questions and comments. You guys were a SCREAM and I missed being on chat with ya! It was also fun to watch Lance ponder the answers and watch his facial expressions. Throughout the con, we all scattered singly and in groups to pursue our own agendas, but we always used the Sideshow area as the central meeting place. The Sideshow guys must’ve been tired of seeing us all the time, but they never let on. We were always welcomed back with a smile and chatter.

Throughout the con, and especially on Saturday afternoon (Masquerade was slated for that evening), there were folks in costumes. They ranged from the truly sublime to the truly ridiculous. It was a lot of fun to watch these folks parading around, totally unselfconscious. Elvis Trooper was great! We also had Hellboy and Chewie at the SS booth....there were probably more, but I wasn’t around for all of it. There were also stars showing up at various booths to do short auto sessions. I personally didn't make any of them, but am sure some of the others managed. As you've probably gathered from the Con site,there were ongoing panels all day. Many of them were simultaneous and I managed to miss nearly all of them, especially on Friday when I was time-lagged and still trying to get my bearings.

On a side note, Josh and I were wandering early on Friday and came across Richard Taylor at the Weta booth. He left before we could approach, but we ran into him again at another booth (can’t remember which). Josh (the shy guy that he is), asked if RT would pose for a pic with me. So, trying to make small talk as we were posing for Josh (and I’m HORRIBLE at small talk), I tried to come up with something that would make him remember me. So what brilliant thing do I say? “Mr. Taylor, I really admire what you and Weta have done. I’m such a fan of yours and Mr Jackson and everything you’ve accomplished.” HOW. LAME. IS. THAT? :thwak I wanted to just sink into the floor. I was so embarrassed that I just wanted to hide as quickly as I could and forgot to ask him for an autograph. HOW. DUMB. IS. THAT? :bonk sigh

I didn’t get to see many of the panels because of rotten timing, but I know the other guys managed a few and I’m sure they’ll pop in with their own impressions of those. Spent much of my time wandering among the booths and seeing the upcoming products. Of the more notable areas (and in keeping with my personal focus):
-- Finally found the TORN booth. They were scrunched way out of the mainstream with a teeny-tiny little booth. Shame really. Tried to get their “Ringers” shirt for my son, but they didn’t have any. But I did find out that Sony had picked up their distribution and the film will be on DVD and TV. Am looking so forward to this. Missed Cliff Broadway so I could get an auto from him, since I just had missed their panel (was registering at the time).
-- Weta had their own area with displays of Kong and Narnia. All the pieces were beautifully crafted and I recognized some of the Weta sculptor’s names on the pieces from the LOTR line. Kong/Rex diorama was a great piece as a sculpt. Some of the Narnia pieces were also great -- especially the White Queen/Witch and the Centaur. The bookends with the White Queen on one and Aslan on the other also caught my fancy. But, overall, they really didn’t get my heart a’flutter -- maybe because I haven’t seen the movies yet. Am hoping that I won’t like either of the movies so that I won’t be tempted to get any of them. But for those of you already thinking about getting either Kong or Narnia pieces -- these pieces are worth every penny they’ll ask for and you will not be disappointed.
-- Gentle Giant. Other than Sideshow, these folks impressed me the most. They had displays of Clash of the Titans (the monsters -- Medusa is to kill for), Star Wars, Harry Potter, and (I think) Corpse Bride, as well as many others. My first love being busts, the HP bust line is wonderful. I already had Harry on preorder (thinking that I would only get the 3 kids), but after seeing them all, I’m doomed. Wound up ordering the con exclusive (?) 500 LE of Sirius Black (in brown shirt). I wasn’t overly impressed by the statues -- especially the Harry one, but am thinking they may be tweaked a bit later. The SW busts were not disappointing either. In fact, after NOT getting them all this time, I wound up with a #19 Han bust. (I have NO will power). The Corpse Bride is gonna be a good flick I’m thinking and the pieces are charming. If any of you are Nightmare Before Xmas fans, I’m sure you’ll love these. I was also intrigued by the bust-ups line. Had seen these on the net, but was hesitant to get them, not really sure of their quality. They are very good for what they are. This may be a good -- cheaper -- alternative to getting the busts. I got the con exclusives of the holographic Sith Lords 2-pack (Darths Vader and Maul). Not shown, but I know both Adam and Bob have them on their site with concept art only, are the Pirates of the Caribbean busts. Having seen the other lines, I have no doubts about what the quality of the PotC will be and will be ordering them sight unseen.
-- Neca. They had a whole bunch of stuff on display but I honestly can’t remember anything that impressed me enough to write about. Did see their large Gandalf.....meh. Too dark grey and was lifeless. Also, was a bit “toy-ish”. Sideshow’s is the one to get.
-- Sideshow. I wanted to take a long hard look at some of the recently announced LOTR pieces. In particular, the colors and sculpts of Aragorn @ Black Gates and GimLegArod since they have been so controversial. I also had some doubts about the Aragorn likeness. IMHO: Aragorn likeness is very, very good -- better than Strider, Elessar, and bust; the colors on both pieces are much more muted than the pictures on the SS site shows -- I think those fears can be put to rest; GimLegArod’s pose seemingly being off kilter because of the position of the horse is also a non-issue -- it looks fine from a straight-on view; PJ/Corsair is even better in person; the Mumak -- as small as some of you think it is -- is a beautiful sculpt for sculpt’s sake (but I don’t think it’s too small regardless); Galadriel is a beauty. I noticed that this piece really attracted the casual passer-bys; especially the women, as well as KotD. I am so very glad my order will be coming in soon. It’s as good as I had hoped -- even with a nose (ya hear me Beru? LOL). For those of you concerned about the price of the Predator: it is worth every penny -- if not more. That statue is WONDERFUL! and the detail in sculpt and paint is mind-boggling. Am actually surprised that it didn’t cost more to tell you the truth. The Alien Queen took my breath away in its sheer beauty of line. The 1:1 Hellboy and Legend busts were causing all kinds of buzz. The Doom sculpt would be worth getting just for the throne. The details and craft on the throne were so good, I was tempted to get it myself. And I don’t even have any interest in that line. And the fantastic Goblin kept calling to me. Again, I resisted starting another collection line -- barely. Didn’t look very hard at the 12” figures, but am sure Dave and others will pipe in with their impressions.

The Sideshow staff. What a great bunch of folks! Never during the whole time did I get the impression that any of them viewed this as just a job or just a company that they earned their living off of. If they did, I couldn’t sense it. GREAT PR training for all of them! Their enthusiasm was infectious. Tried not to tie up too many with too much talk since they DID have a job to do, but as soon as I identified myself as a Freak, their smiles got broader and they all asked if I was going to be at the party. Can’t remember most of these folks’ names (and I apologize for my bad memory), but Brant, Chris, Dusty, Corey, Matt, SideshowBob, Andy (hulkfan), etc. etc. etc., were super nice folks and had wicked senses of humor. How they managed to keep their humor after all the abuse we’ve handed them recently, I will never know. Asked for Chicky, but couldn’t seem to find her. I passed along a message to personally thank her for all the help and “care and feeding” of this particular Freak and all the Freaks through the past year. Finally, a note to all of you who feel there’s some kind of “screw-the-collectors” conspiracy going on: you couldn’t be more wrong. My impression is that the marriage between Weta and Sideshow is definitely over for LOTR, and there’s no point in pursuing this for any potential add-ons of missed characters. For those of you putting blame for the decisions on what pieces were manufactured and sold, as well as exactly when the end of the LOTR line would be announced -- remember that Weta probably had the lion’s share of decisionmaking. Sideshow’s influence in some of these decisions was probably limited by contractual stipulations? Brant was extremely gracious in answering our questions and listening to our gripes and I think he (and the other SS guys) gave all the honest answers that he could give. We will never know (nor do we have the right to know) ALL of the pieces of the puzzle that went into making whatever decisions were made. I don’t believe that any other company provides us the feedback that Sideshow has and we forget sometimes that there are thousands of LOTR collectors out there who are not on these boards. I think sometimes we get wound up in our own little world and forget the bigger picture that prompts the business decisions ? (okay, sorry, enough lecturing)

The Freaks. Had a great time meeting them. They were all as I had expected from the forum. Was great to put faces to the names. Missed quite a few of them I’m sure and didn’t get to spend too much time with many, but spent a lot of time with Adam (DSC), Josh (JLCMSU), Sam (akaLiz), Bob (the Godfather), Dave (our leader), Sarah (Vikingmagyar), Danny (TheWitchKing), Chuck (Gabberjawa), Scott (Fubeca). Also in tow and patiently indulgent in our antics was Mrs. Fubeca (classy lady BTW) and Sam’s hubby (as crazy as we are but for other lines). Also met Elros, Radagaster, Phan (?). I’m sure I met more at the party, but frankly, it seemed a haze and I apologize for not remembering nor getting to spend more time chatting with each of you. Spent a pleasant bit of time with Mirabella6666 at the party. What an absolutely charming lady. Lots of happy folks at the party; seemed the prizes were exactly what the winners had been wanting/needing so the excitement was real. Chris was a crazy man as MC. One winner was a guy we hadn’t heard of. Turns out he’s never (?) posted but lurked a lot. Sorry I can’t remember your name, but hoping that you’re gonna start posting? Was good to meet you nevertheless. Dave and the Sideshow guys (especially Dusty) really did a bang-up job in putting the party together. I understand that Josh was pressed into service to assist as well. Had a wonderful time all of yas and THANKS!

I normally don't do a whole lot of talking on the boards, but it was definately nice getting to know everyone a bit more on the chat. Had a great time! I think my backside is still a little sore from all the sitting the last few days

Glad ya had a great time Nutttttttttt :bow :bow Great write up there :google :google

TC :bonk :eye :bonk

Back