The Two Faces of "Star Wars"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrishJedi

Super Freak
Reaction score
With these recent polls and discussions (in addition to the overall debate that has raged since 1997) I have come to the conclusion that there are really very simply two separate versions/visions of STAR WARS:

1. The Classic, Nostalgic and Untouched version. This is, quite simply, the Original Trilogy pre-Special Edition.

2. The ever-changing and fluid George Lucas Digital Filmmaker version. This includes the prequels and any version of the OT from 1997 hence.

And you know what? I am fine with this, personally. I can accept and appreciate both "faces" of STAR WARS for what they are. True, I will always be partial and more accepting of #1. But the truth is, #2 is the reality of what STAR WARS is today... and what it will continue to be in the future.

This is why I have no problems whatsoever with Lucas making additional changes to the films, including the OT. For him to stop now would make STAR WARS Version #2 incomplete, non-cohesive and imbalanced IMHO. There are several additional tweaks that he could make for the sake of continuity and overall cohesiveness of the saga that have been well-documented (adding Qui-Gon, etc). Any my question is: WHY NOT? Because no matter what GWL does to STAR WARS Version #2 from here on out it will never change STAR WARS Version #1, which we will always be able to enjoy and be sentimental toward separately.

Let him see his vision (whatever it is today... or tomorrow) all the way through and accept STAR WARS for what it is. Both versions.

I'm fine with Lucas making all the changes he wants as long as he gives us good quality versions of the unaltered OT on DVD.

I'm fine with Lucas making all the changes he wants as long as he gives us good quality versions of the unaltered OT on DVD.

Actually, at this juncture we want them in full HD and not just standard DVD... but your point is well-noted and I'm sure shared by most, if not all.

Actually, at this juncture we want them in full HD and not just standard DVD... but your point is well-noted and I'm sure shared by most, if not all.

Thats my only issue is that for a long time it felt like the "choice" was being made for us. As long as I can get quality copies of the original, Lucas can screw the films up any way he chooses and I'll be okay with it.

Thats my only issue is that for a long time it felt like the "choice" was being made for us. As long as I can get quality copies of the original, Lucas can screw the films up any way he chooses and I'll be okay with it.

I agree with that completely. But the thing is, hasn't he already "screwed" with them enough? I say let him tweak and tweak until the 6-film saga (as it exists today) is as cohesive as possible. Yes, I want definitive hi-def versions of the original, untouched films to enjoy for posterity. But I also want him to continue tweaking what's already been tweaked. A complete inferior vision is still better than a half-assed inferior vision, is it not? ;)

Take this analogy: Someone buys a plot of land in your neighborhood and starts building a 4-story house that blocks the nice view you once had of the skyline. Well, knocking the construction down is NOT an option... so wouldn't you rather the home just be completed and then start living with it instead of having an incomplete eyesore, sans finishing? That's how I feel about the SEs/PT at this point. I consider them inferior, but also unfinished... and it's that last part I can't live with.

Hear Hear!
I couldn't care less what other changes Lucas makes to the OT as long as I can continue to watch them as originally released. The PT is a total non issue because I wasted enough of my lifetime watching them in the first place and have little desire to do so again.

I do agree with you in theory... but I don't get a sense that he still has a clear idea of what would lead to a fully cohesive series. Or if he does, whether or not he still has the creative and artistic spark to see it through.

Its just when you see decisions like "Han shooting first", becomes "Han shoots at the same time and bends the space-time continuum to shift over" I get a little worried that it will come to no good in the end.

I like both faces as well. Just enjoy it people! I mean some folks really get pissy about this stuff and it seems quite silly.

He can tweak the OT as much as he wants, but I'm still waiting for my good copies of the untweaked versions. I don't consider the non-anamorphic versions good enough. :monkey2

I agree. If you're a die hard Original Trilogy fan go ahead and remember it that way if you want. Just because it got changed doesn't erase it from your personal memory bank.

I always hate when people complain about remakes or sequels or what have you.

I love Queensryche and recently they made Operation Mindcrime 2. I didn't like the new CD much, but it doesn't make Mindcrime 1 any lesser than what its always been for me.

I love Queensryche and recently they made Operation Mindcrime 2. I didn't like the new CD much, but it doesn't make Mindcrime 1 any lesser than what its always been for me.

Yes, but lets say you bought Mindcrime 1 on a cassette tape, then when you decided to upgrade (subjective) your music collection to CD's you found out that they had rereleased a new version of said album and inserted Jedi Rocks in the middle of each song. Would you be okay with it then :lol

Yes, but lets say you bought Mindcrime 1 on a cassette tape, then when you decided to upgrade (subjective) your music collection to CD's you found out that they had rereleased a new version of said album and inserted Jedi Rocks in the middle of each song. Would you be okay with it then :lol

:lol
I wouldn't be okay with the rerelease, but it wouldn't hurt my appreciation of anything before the rerelease.
The only issue that would be disappointing is that the old version isn't on a new format, but you can still buy it on the old format.

It's interesting how Lucas' ongoing tweaks really highlight just how ahead of it's time the OT was. Granted, some recent changes have been more to tie the two trilogies, but changes like imrpoving effects and such really shows how much George's vision was beyond the tools of the time. I think had Peter Jackson done LOTR back in the late 70s, early 80s, he might be doing something similar to GL with the advent of computer technology. George has a vision for what the Star Wars saga should be and look like and it's only been possible to fully achieve that vision in the last 5 years or so. I think if Lucas started the saga today, it wouldn't get revised it would be his full vision from the start. I think it'd be more accepted if other directors went to these lengths beyond say Director's Cuts. Most directors make a painting, so to speak, hang it on the wall and it is what it is. Lucas is the only one who keeps taking his painting off the wall and making adjustments as he sees it necessary or has acquired the skills and tools to make something happen. Some changes really are kinda pointless and ruin the overall quality of the original films, but some do add value and unity to all 6 episodes once you let go of the films as they once were.

I do agree with you in theory... but I don't get a sense that he still has a clear idea of what would lead to a fully cohesive series. Or if he does, whether or not he still has the creative and artistic spark to see it through.

Its just when you see decisions like "Han shooting first", becomes "Han shoots at the same time and bends the space-time continuum to shift over" I get a little worried that it will come to no good in the end.

I still don't understand why that change was made. Han is supposed to shoot first because he's a shady character and we're not sure at that point in the film which way he's gonna go. Why soften him and remove that ambiguity? Bizarre.

Han climbing all over Jabba is almost as bad. That scene becomes a Tex Avery cartoon. If he couldn't add that scene back in without making it ridiculous, he should've just left it on the cutting room floor. Does it really add anything to the story to have Jabba at Mos Eisley?

Stuff like that just makes it seem like he's monkeying around with the movies for his own amusement rather than trying to make genuine improvements.

Back