Anyone into the Darkhorse Aliens, Predator, and AVP comics?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deftinwulf

Freakalicious
Reaction score
I just purchased the Aliens Omnibus vol 1 and 2, to add to my collection which currently consists of AVP Omnibus 1&2, Predator Omnibus 1, and now Aliens 1 and 2. I've just started reading Aliens, and I read a review that said it's a slow but good story with not too much action, so I won't be disappointed by expecting a ton of action. I did a search and found threads for the star wars comics and batman comics, so I figured I'd see if there are any fellow fans of the darkhorse Aliens and Predator comic series. Favorite art? Favorite story? So far I love them all. Which comics are your favorite?

Peace and Love.
:chew
wulf

Last edited:
I too have ALIENS OMNIBUS Vol 1&2.
Love them.

At first I was sceptical about the comics.... never having read one, I thought they would be sub-par compared to the movies. Oh, I couldn't be more wrong.

Compared to the recent AVP movie, these comics rise far above it with regards to story/content.

I got the first Omnibus from my friend ONEYE, so I bought him AVP in return.
There's nice art in there, and limitless inspiration for dioramas and/or backdrops for figures.

My favorite part is where the Marines threaten the Queen by killing her brood, in a failed attempt to make her and her HIVE follow their commands.
Great stuff. Too bad it's not a novel though.

My favorite part is where the Marines threaten the Queen by killing her brood, in a failed attempt to make her and her HIVE follow their commands.
Great stuff. Too bad it's not a novel though.

Sounds cool, can't wait to get to that part! :) If it's novels you're interested, there is a definitely an abundance of cool literature for the aliens and predator universes. I've read Predator: Concrete Jungle by Nathan Archer, and the AVP series by Steve Perry, and they're fantastic. Here's a link to an amazon.com list of most (if not all) of the aliens, predator, and AVP books:

https://www.amazon.com/Aliens-Predator-novels-chronological-order/lm/2DDOYN0VML21I/ref=cm_lmt_srch_f_1_rsrsrs0

Peace and Love
:chew
wulf

I don't have many Aliens comics, but I do have a bit of Predator... well, frankly a good pile. AVP is right behind that, and I do AVP Omnibus' 1&2, and Predator Omnibus 1...

Least favorite is Deadliest of Species, favorite, is the Machiko Noguchi story of the AVP comics, followed up by Dark River in the Predator Omnibus. My favorite artwork in the comics, was Eternal by FAR in the AVP world, I loved looking at the pictures in that one.

Predator Omnibus 2 is supposed to be released in February, as well as a new novel written by Steve Perry called "Turnabout." Also, Predator Omnibus 3 was just announced for a June release too, check it out.

345d6kh.jpg

Edit:

As Wulf said, there is an abundance of books out, which I have all of the Predator/AVP ones, to my knowledge.

Predator
Predator 2
Concrete Jungle
Cold War
Big Game
AVP: Prey
AVP: Hunters Planet
AVP: War
AVP: Movie Novelization
Forever Midnight (still have it, even though it ****ing SUCKED and John Shirley raped the franchise)
Flesh and Blood

Coming out in 2008, is supposed to also be a book called Predator: South China Seas...

Last edited:
My favorite would have to be Aliens: Hive. A truly disturbing look into what the Aliens are capable of.

My second pick would have to be Aliens: Book Two. LOVE the story and the art work. Continues a bit of the story of Hicks and Newt from Book One.

I got hooked on Dark Horse Comics with their first Aliens series and continued to enjoy almost everything they did in the years that followed. My favorites were Aliens, AvP, Predator, and of course the Terminator series. I also loved all of the "versus" mini-series and one shots... Predator vs Batman, Robocop vs Terminator, to name a couple.... they really got creative with some of the story lines. They had some of the best story writers and artists of the day and their comics are already considered classics to diehard fans of the movie titles they serialized. If the AvP movie had been based on the comics, we might have had another movie classic to count along with the Alien and Predator legacies.

If the AvP movie had been based on the comics, we might have had another movie classic to count along with the Alien and Predator legacies.

I couldn't agree more. When I first heard about the original AVP movie, I had hoped that they would base it on the Machiko Naguchi storyline, or one of the other stories that were still far better than the plotline the movie actually followed.

I couldn't agree more. When I first heard about the original AVP movie, I had hoped that they would base it on the Machiko Naguchi storyline, or one of the other stories that were still far better than the plotline the movie actually followed.

I think it's safe to say most of us were expecting/hoping for the same thing, which is why we were all so bummed out with the final product... Hard to tell, but everyone might have been a little less critical of the movie if there had been no AvP comics to get our hopes up...

I don't know if there will ever be another AvP movie, but if there is, I can only hope that it will disconnect itself entirely from the first two movies and give us the kind of ass-kicking story line that Dark Horse did! :D

If it were based on them, up until just before she joined them to hunt, I agree.

...if it had been the full story, in a trilogy, we'd have people *****ing that, "a human woman could never hang with Predators," and of course, "why didn't the lead Predator kill Machiko, uh oh... I bet it was a stupid love story" - just like people said with Lex and Scar. Face it, no matter how well a story is, people will still complain about it.

I'm just glad Anderson at least, AT LEAST played his own version of Machiko and Da'Chande.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, PLEASE! I'd love to see those comics fully come to life, with the FULL story - I'm a huge Machiko fan, and I love the concept of an outsider being invited into a world that hasn't been seen in the movie world, but the general public of people who only hold onto the first movie as the 'only good thing' - that's never read the comics, who no doubt **** all over it.

I've been busy these last few days so I haven't done much reading into the Aliens omnibuses (sp?) yet, but I'll be cracking away at it tonight. :)

Hey guys Im kinda new to the Predator/Alien books but am really wanting to check some of them out. I have never read any of these before so Im not sure which one to go for first. I figured that maybe some of you fellow predator/alien fans could help me decide on what to pick first.

The ones I am trying to decide between are:

Aliens Omnibus, Vol. 1

Predator Omnibus Volume 1

Aliens vs. Predator Omnibus, Vol. 1

which one do you guys think I should buy and read first??

Ive only got enough money to buy one cause Im spending all the rest of my money on Predator and Aliens HT figures :rotfl

I used to read a lot of these when I was in Highschool... I thought they stopped producing them to be honest.

I liked what they did with Aliens, Predator and Terminator. A lot of fun stories and helped to flesh out the universes a bit. I really liked the Batman Vs Predator series... that was a fun read.

Does anyone know by chance if the story that evolves in this set of comic books is the same story that evolves in the Aliens vs Predator Omnibus books??

Are the comics just put into one book and published in the Omnibus AVP volumes??

Yep, that's how they do it. The Omnibus are collections of all the Alien, Predator, AvP comics that Dark Horse has ever published.

Saves you from having to track down individual comics.

There are some AvP and Predator Omnibus' on Ebay right now that are pretty reasonable. The bugs I really don't care about as they are prey for the Preds anyhow. :rotfl

I really liked the Batman Vs Predator series... that was a fun read.

Yes! I loved the B Vs P series, but I only had the first 2 comics in the series and never got to finish the story! :( I'm still hoping that the final Predator omnibus will include the B Vs P series, either that or I'll hopefully be able to find the comics in good condition on ebay.

Back