AVP:R Inside the Monster Shop Book "What you DIDN'T know..."

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bardoon

Super Freak
Reaction score
I just received my copy of the design book for AvP:R from Amazon...lots of interesting tidbits, great photos (not seen online), concept art, even some sculpted maquettes for viewing purposes.

I definitely recommend this to Alien and Predator fans and if some of our talented customizers here want to try their hand at some sculpted Predator masks...there are PLENTY of ideas to use.

I'll take some photos later for those interested.

Some neat info:

-LOTS of PredAlien designs...one design conceived the PredAlien to be around 10-15 ft. tall...as big as an Alien Queen! One thing that remains prominent in the designs is the Predator's mandibles. The book also clears up that because the PredAlien can pump embryonic chestbursters into a human host, all the Predator traits are lost as the embryos take the traits of the host.

-It's reinforced that AVP's Predators were young, inexperienced hunters being tested against Aliens for the first time...Paul Anderson is a flip-flopping idiot.

-The Wolf's face mask was capable of full eye movement with eye blinks and cheek squints, independent brow articulation, jaw open and close, and double jointed mandible motion.

-Wolf is described as a "guy in his forties, still in great physical condition but relying more on brains than brawn". Before getting to the "scarred" look...there's also design work of piercings and tattoos for Wolf's actual face. It's also mentioned that the Strause bros. at first thought the 7' 1'' Ian Whyte was not tall/big enough to be the Predator because of the "bulkiness and disproportion" of the AVP Preds...but it was explained to them that some of the other performers in Predator suits were not as tall as Whyte which made the Predators all look short and stocky. The face design also went back to that of Predator 1 & 2, with less of the "humanized" look of AVP. Whyte also had to perform the final battle "blind" because the Wolf's real face had mechanized eyes.

-There are several weapon designs as well...including concept art for "Battle Claws" that would've looked worse than the forearm blades.The whip is indeed constructed of an Alien tail and is said to be ten feet long.
There's also highlights of A LOT of concept mask designs. Some are really impressive with "gill-like" designs...one in particular harkens back to the Celtic design but includes some razors and spike along the "mouth area". Even more so, some resemble trophy "skulls". There's some molds of some, one of which is really ornate and intricately designed and moves the laser-sighting device from the side of the mask to the middle in a script-like design. On the final, completed mask...there's even a photo of the interior mechanics of a Predator mask.

-On the actual ALIEN...yep, the body molds are the same from AVP. The Strause Bros. were fans of ALIENS and wanted the ridged dome (though I'm sure some budget issues were considered as well) and the new neck design is actually based on the Alien Queen neck design with consideration to the actor's head being in the neck as well. The paint scheme on the Facehuggers was modified as well...you can definitely see a more "blackish" tone to them even in the film.

-REMEMBER THAT EBAY AUCTION FOR ONE OF THE AVP:R ALIEN SUITS? That was legit! It was actually a dummy and the crew worked with local law enforcement to set up an undercover meeting with the guy and they got it back!

*SPOILERS ON POTENTIAL EXTRA SCENES*

-A lot of stuff from AVP was reused (duh)...including masks,suits, and even the original Scar "dummy" from the "Birth of the Hybrid" scene.

-"skinned" Predator bodies were actually made and placed in the Predator ship for filming...this was essentially the PredAlien falling back on his "Predator instincts" and the Wolf would've saw these when investigating the crashed ship. The Wolf was also supposed to reveal his face for the first time to the audience inside the crashed ship instead of at the Predator homeworld shots. There are some shots of the Wolf with his mask off looking over the mask of one of the dead Predators (that mask is indeed the HT Asia Ancient Predator exclusive mask!).

-The scene in the Predator ship when two Predators are walking along carrying the tableful of Alien Eggs...one of the Predators has "Trilobite" mask that was used on the HT Sideshow Exclusive Ancient Predator.

-Some more scenes could very well have been planned to be during the day (or afternoon,late evening...whatever). But the movie was getting a lot of attention from the locals (including the stolen dummy) so filming was switched to night. One lady even complained about the filming of the scene of Wolf in the tree using his Medi-Kit because she claimed the tree was a "special tree" and was protected because it was very, very old. She even asked what were the ingredients used in the Predator blood and was satisfied with the crew using it after they read the list off to her.

I just received my copy of the design book for AvP:R from Amazon...lots of interesting tidbits, great photos (not seen online), concept art, even some sculpted maquettes for viewing purposes.

I definitely recommend this to Alien and Predator fans and if some of our talented customizers here want to try their hand at some sculpted Predator masks...there are PLENTY of ideas to use.

I'll take some photos later for those interested.

Some neat info:

-LOTS of PredAlien designs...one design conceived the PredAlien to be around 10-15 ft. tall...as big as an Alien Queen! One thing that remains prominent in the designs is the Predator's mandibles. The book also clears up that because the PredAlien can pump embryonic chestbursters into a human host, all the Predator traits are lost as the embryos take the traits of the host.

-It's reinforced that AVP's Predators were young, inexperienced hunters being tested against Aliens for the first time...Paul Anderson is a flip-flopping idiot.

-The Wolf's face mask was capable of full eye movement with eye blinks and cheek squints, independent brow articulation, jaw open and close, and double jointed mandible motion.

-Wolf is described as a "guy in his forties, still in great physical condition but relying more on brains than brawn". Before getting to the "scarred" look...there's also design work of piercings and tattoos for Wolf's actual face. It's also mentioned that the Strause bros. at first thought the 7' 1'' Ian Whyte was not tall/big enough to be the Predator because of the "bulkiness and disproportion" of the AVP Preds...but it was explained to them that some of the other performers in Predator suits were not as tall as Whyte which made the Predators all look short and stocky. The face design also went back to that of Predator 1 & 2, with less of the "humanized" look of AVP. Whyte also had to perform the final battle "blind" because the Wolf's real face had mechanized eyes.

-There are several weapon designs as well...including concept art for "Battle Claws" that would've looked worse than the forearm blades.The whip is indeed constructed of an Alien tail and is said to be ten feet long.
There's also highlights of A LOT of concept mask designs. Some are really impressive with "gill-like" designs...one in particular harkens back to the Celtic design but includes some razors and spike along the "mouth area". Even more so, some resemble trophy "skulls". There's some molds of some, one of which is really ornate and intricately designed and moves the laser-sighting device from the side of the mask to the middle in a script-like design. On the final, completed mask...there's even a photo of the interior mechanics of a Predator mask.

-On the actual ALIEN...yep, the body molds are the same from AVP. The Strause Bros. were fans of ALIENS and wanted the ridged dome (though I'm sure some budget issues were considered as well) and the new neck design is actually based on the Alien Queen neck design with consideration to the actor's head being in the neck as well. The paint scheme on the Facehuggers was modified as well...you can definitely see a more "blackish" tone to them even in the film.

-REMEMBER THAT EBAY AUCTION FOR ONE OF THE AVP:R ALIEN SUITS? That was legit! It was actually a dummy and the crew worked with local law enforcement to set up an undercover meeting with the guy and they got it back!

*SPOILERS ON POTENTIAL EXTRA SCENES*

-A lot of stuff from AVP was reused (duh)...including masks,suits, and even the original Scar "dummy" from the "Birth of the Hybrid" scene.

-"skinned" Predator bodies were actually made and placed in the Predator ship for filming...this was essentially the PredAlien falling back on his "Predator instincts" and the Wolf would've saw these when investigating the crashed ship. The Wolf was also supposed to reveal his face for the first time to the audience inside the crashed ship instead of at the Predator homeworld shots. There are some shots of the Wolf with his mask off looking over the mask of one of the dead Predators (that mask is indeed the HT Asia Ancient Predator exclusive mask!).

-The scene in the Predator ship when two Predators are walking along carrying the tableful of Alien Eggs...one of the Predators has "Trilobite" mask that was used on the HT Sideshow Exclusive Ancient Predator.

-Some more scenes could very well have been planned to be during the day (or afternoon,late evening...whatever). But the movie was getting a lot of attention from the locals (including the stolen dummy) so filming was switched to night. One lady even complained about the filming of the scene of Wolf in the tree using his Medi-Kit because she claimed the tree was a "special tree" and was protected because it was very, very old. She even asked what were the ingredients used in the Predator blood and was satisfied with the crew using it after they read the list off to her.

Very cool indeed. Movies make much more sense sometimes when you delve into the special features. I think it helps you enjoy them more when you know just what they were going for. Thanks man! Very cool! :cool:

Cool infor Barboon! Do you recommend picking up the book?

I do certainly recommend it, especially if you're an Alien/Predator fan. It has A LOT of information both on the photo side and the word side and clears some questions up from the movie.

The only other movie design book I have is the Spider-man 3 one...which is great but cost $50!!!!

This is a great book for the $23 I paid for it on Amazon.

I may end up getting the AVP design book as well...more so for all the designs and concept work.

Some photos and designs from the book, I apologize for the crappy photos:

Cool shot of Wolf:
DSCN6056.jpg

Why can't Predators and Predaliens just be friends?
DSCN6058.jpg

Skinned Predators inside the ship
DSCN6060.jpg

Wolf Bio-mask Designs:
DSCN6061.jpg

DSCN6062.jpg

Sculpt of a mask, notice the targeting laser in the middle of the mask
DSCN6063.jpg

Inside of Wolf Predator's mask:
DSCN6065.jpg

Wolf Predator Concepts (includes the new weapon "Battle Claws")
DSCN6068.jpg

Full mold of the new Alien Head...it looks a little less natural towards the back, doesn't it?
DSCN6069.jpg

Part 2...more pics on previous page if you didn't see 'em!!!

PredAlien Designs
DSCN6066.jpg

PredAlien Maquettes
DSCN6067.jpg

Did the PA skin the Predators and hang them upside down?

Yes, the book says they filmed a scene where the Wolf sees them hanging when he investigates the crashes ship. It is stated that the PredAlien was falling upon "Predator instincts" and that's why it did it.

Obviously it was cut from the final film...but might appear in the DVD?

Man that would had been ****ing kickass if they added that..

It will be in the DVD release...

Again, for anyone having a hard time finding this book...
CLICK THIS LINK TO GO GET THE BOOK!
If you click on the page, look at the upper right corner and note the two orange links to order it either hard of softback.

Thanks for posting the pics of the book Bardoon. I have been wanting to talk about those badass Wolf helmet designs for ages now. That full page one, and that one with the black mouth creep me out. And I love the weird one by Steve Wang, that looks like a Samurai mask with the lights in the middle....

Cool stuff!

Thanks for the link Les you rock!

My pleasure. Now, get the book! :D
As you can see, it and the one for the original AVP are both from this company. GET THEM BOTH! :rock
(the AVP one is there, in the lower left corner under the "Art of" books lineup. )

Back