Ignite's preview for 2008: ninja's and frenchmen!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doomhammer

12 inch nightmare
Reaction score
OSW's Actionman visited the Hong Kong Toys & Games Fair today and came up with these pictures:

Ignite1.jpg

Ignite2.jpg

If you can't make out the names, they are: Napoleon (DUH!); Imperial Guard; Chasseur; Guardsman; Musketeer; Guardsman

The Ninjas are: Ninja; White Ninja; Ninja (brown); Ronin

I think this is great! The musket barrels and locks are die-cast, as is the Musketeer’s helmet. The figures on display were obviously prototypes, and the quality seemed to vary from very good to Action Man so-so.

The Napoleon seems to be the one sold by Andrea Miniatures and has been discussed here, let us hope the quality of the other figures is better. I'm very much looking forward to the Musketeer and the Guardsmen, And that Ronin figure looks nice as well.

I trashed Ignite for seemingly abandoning their older lines, but I gladly take it all back. They won't beat DiD in quality, but at the rate they are releasing Napoleonics they fail to satisfy :p

Last edited:
I like the French figures, especially the second guardsman which looks like one of the classic Three Musketeers to me.

The ninjas would look great posed with one another. Nice that they all have different accessories. I think I like the white one the most.
The "Ronin" looks interesting and could also be called a Samurai since there's no real visual distinction between the two. I'd like to own this one too, but it would be an easy pass in favor of any one of the Ninjas.

Definitely interested in the black ninja, already have a thread with some pictures... and the Ronin looks pretty sweet as well. Looks like he might be a good substitute for those of us who can't afford the Alfrex prices.

I have the Alfrex Toshiro Mifune Yojimbo/Sanjuro figure. It was my first purchase of a 1:6 figure over $100 (this was several years ago). Now he will have someone to fight! :rock

I love the Mukesteer - I'll probably get all of these. Although Napoleon looked pretty bad for such an expensive figure. However if the other Frenchies are in the usual Ignite price range they'll be easy buys for me.

Definitely interested in the black ninja, already have a thread with some pictures... and the Ronin looks pretty sweet as well. Looks like he might be a good substitute for those of us who can't afford the Alfrex prices.

You're right, maybe we should try to keep the talk about the ninja's in that thread, I didn't mean to create a spin-off.

I don't think it matters, but thought it would be good for people looking for more photos of the black one.

Surprising we've seen those, but not images for the others yet?

A Ronin IS a Samurai... just a lone Samurai without a master or Shogun.

That's what I said. There's nothing visual that makes him distinctly a Ronin. I wonder why they're calling him a Ronin, the only reason I could think of is he's meant to depict a historical or movie version of a Ronin, otherwise he's just some samurai.

I own Alfrex's two Ninjas, Kaoru Yumi and Sonny Chiba. But I really regret not seeing the Zatoichi films earlier. I would've loved to have Alfrex's Zatoichi. :monkey2

I think Zatoichi wore a green Kimono a few times, maybe I can adapt Ignite's version? All I need is the headsculpt since I own Mononofu's Zatoichi sword.

Last edited:
Isn't a Ronin a masterless Samurai? So if a Samurai has all that armor that comes on the DiD figures, this guy has an Ignite budget and can't afford the armor. thus "ronin" not "samurai."

Isn't a Ronin a masterless Samurai? So if a Samurai has all that armor that comes on the DiD figures, this guy has an Ignite budget and can't afford the armor. thus "ronin" not "samurai."

Yes, but I think most Samurai didn't walk around in armor all day. They only wore that in battles.
If you watch any of the Japanese Samurai films like The Seven Samurai or a Zatochi film, they're hardly ever walking around in armor, most of the time they're wearing just Kimonos.

I own Alfrex's two Ninjas, Kaoru Yumi and Sonny Chiba. But I really regret not seeing the Zatoichi films earlier. I would've loved to have Alfrex's Zatoichi. :monkey2

Man that figure is at the top of my wants list... but the price is a pain to bear. Still oneday, Zatoichi will be mine :rock

Hmmm... not completely feeling the Ronin, he almost looks too simple. Which is probably accurate, but I'd like a bit of pattern or detail in the outfit.

Looks like the Ronin has layers, and I'm digging the costume on the Musketeer. But their headsculpts! Aiyiiii! With all the other 1/6 companies upping their game, can't they do something about those sculpts and paint aps?

Back