Del Toro to Resurrect Frankenstein

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wofford29

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
Del Toro to Resurrect Frankenstein
Helmer also talks Potter and The Hobbit!
by Orlando Parfitt, IGN UK

UK, January 4, 2008 - Guillermo del Toro - visionary director of Hellboy and Pan's Labyrinth - is apparently planning a movie version of Mary Shelly's monster classic Frankenstein.

The rotund Mexican helmer told MTV News he's in planning the "definitive take" on the spooky tale, and revealed that he's already begun pre-production duties and is crafting several drawings. "I started doing some notes before the strike," he revealed. "[During the strike] I can only draw now."

Apparently he's always been interested in directing a version of Frankenstein. He explained: "The only way to do the Shelley novel is to actually do a four-hour miniseries, but I think there are permutations in which you can tell the myth in a different way."

Tantalisingly, del Toro also spoke about possibly directing fanboy heavyweights The Hobbit and the final Harry Potter film.

- John Shearer/WireImage.com We love Guillermo del Toro.
The director's name has already been mentioned for the last hurrah of the bespectacled boy-wizard, and he did nothing to quash speculation by saying he was "definitely interested" in the project and that he enjoys the darker tone of the recent movies, saying "after Alfonso Cuaron directed Prisoner of Azkaban, the movies have evolved greatly into a very nice universe to play at (in)." He also said how Dickensian he feels the Harry Potter series is, and said the last line of Deathly Hallows was a "beautiful, subdued way" to end the book.

Regarding The Hobbit meanwhile, del Toro revealed he's heard rumblings, but nothing concrete. He said: "I keep an open mind, but nothing is official." Peter Jackson is on-board as producer for two Hobbit movies, though the Oscar-winning New Zealander has stated he won't direct the Tolkien-penned prequels.

Going back to Frankenstein, assuming the project does ever see the light of day, don't expect it any time soon. The Mexican helmer already has several projects on the go, including the H.P. Lovecraft adaptation At the Mountains of Madness, spooky Spanish-set horror film 3993 and possibly a Tarzan re-make.

His latest effort, Hellboy II: The Golden Army, is set for release on 11 July in the U.S. and 22 August in the U.K.

I'm down for whatever Del Toro does.

awesome.

Im still hoping he can mix the UniMonsters in with hellboy somehow like he's mentioned he wants to do. It would be odd, but I think GDT could pull it off

Phew, at first glance I thought this was another Benecio Del Toro film.

:horror

how many times can the same story be told? is hollywood running out of ideas?

Phew, at first glance I thought this was another Benecio Del Toro film.

:horror

:lol I thought the same thing.

Thankfully, GDT is such an amazingly talented filmmaker... He would make a Frankenstein film worth watching for sure.

And Tylerd, to make a literary classic again and possibly CLOSER to the novel would not be a rehash exactly. Classics are meant to be resurrected over and over again until the end of our civilization. Especially the Universal monsters, the originals are amazing and will never be forgotten or outdone. But it is always nice to see a fresh take on the stories.

:lol I thought the same thing.

Thankfully, GDT is such an amazingly talented filmmaker... He would make a Frankenstein film worth watching for sure.

And Tylerd, to make a literary classic again and possibly CLOSER to the novel would not be a rehash exactly. Classics are meant to be resurrected over and over again until the end of our civilization. Especially the Universal monsters, the originals are amazing and will never be forgotten or outdone. But it is always nice to see a fresh take on the stories.

i just don't like remakes unless they have something significant to offer. with frankenstein, there are many remakes but only a few are notable. i did like the direction van helsing took the monster, but telling the same story over and over kind of stains the best original and craps on our memories. sort of like the way they take a great song and use it for a toilet bowl cleaner commercial or to sell some potato chips. jmho

Well, you have a point there. It's bad unless the creator has some talent to make it NOT be such a raping of our memory. It's a tightrope act that requires fearlessness and skill to pull off.

It's always sad when it falls apart. Like Van Helsing. :monkey4

:google

Del Toro! Frankenstein!
Oh dear this is too good for words! I have always dreamed a Frankenstein film faithful to the original text. I mean, I love the 1931 film and it was just fantastic for its time and excelled in every possible way it could for then, but a Frankenstein thats close to Shelley's original vision would be out of this world and just so epic. Del Toro would be the perfect director to ever take on the project. Its one of my favourite books ever so I'd love to see this come to light.

i think he's kinda saying that it won't be quite faithful to the book... there are a couple versions out there that are fairly close to the book, but not very good movies...

I can't ever dismiss a remake out of hand - some of them are extremely worthwhile and occasionally better than the original. I think Coppola did it pretty well with Dracula and brought something new and fresh to the material. (If it hadn't been for Keanu...)

I would be interested in seeing Del Toro's take on Frankenstein... if you are gonna have a remake I'd rather have a talented director with spirit behind it than just a big-name/big-budget fiasco like we usually see.

exactly.
everytime you see GDT talk about his movies you can tell he's just a fanboy like the rest of us.

that would be awesome,altough I did like the one with Deniro from the 90's who was produced by Coppola.

Back