PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy

Nolocke
01-02-2008, 01:56 PM
Anyone a Final Fantasy fan around here? I just picked up the Masterpiece Arts Cloud and the Sculpture Arts Cloud and Sephiroth(which are absolutely amazing in person). Anyone collect these or play any of the games?

Darth Caedus
01-02-2008, 02:09 PM
Never really a fan of the games besides FF3 and FF7, but I think Cloud is an awesomely designed character

Nolocke
01-02-2008, 02:10 PM
Final Fantasy 3 or 6 in Japan is probably the best in the series in my opinion, really wish they would make a CGI movie like they did for FF7.

Memnoch
01-02-2008, 02:15 PM
VI is by far the best and I really hope it gets a DS update like III and IV have. Just a shame there is a severe lack of stuff for VI. I have the books that were released in Japan but sadly I cannot read Japanese and there is ALOT of background info in the books.

Nolocke
01-02-2008, 02:23 PM
I was really hoping for a remake on the DS as well. I'm really looking forward to the 4 remake on DS coming out later this year. Just picked up FF12 Revenant Wings and playing the hell out of that at the moment.

Memnoch
01-02-2008, 02:26 PM
Is there a US date for IV yet? I can hardly find any info on it.

Nolocke
01-02-2008, 02:30 PM
Is there a US date for IV yet? I can hardly find any info on it.

Will supposedly be out this summer but check out this website omg the commercials in japan for this game are rediculously awesome. http://www.square-enix.co.jp/ff4ds/

Bardoon
01-02-2008, 06:52 PM
I believe there has not been a good Final Fantasy out there since Final Fantasy VII. My other favorites are FFIV and FFVI so I'm looking forward to the FFIV DS Remake as well.

Agent23
01-02-2008, 06:59 PM
Final Fantasy IX was classic and vintage Final Fantasy. I loved that game.

VII is probably my favorite thou.

Nolocke
01-02-2008, 07:14 PM
I just picked these up last week from Final Fantasy 4. Can't wait for this game!

Chimera 1
01-03-2008, 09:22 AM
I have played all of the FF games and VII was by far the best. I even played XI for awhile but that got boring since noone I knew played it. Like an idiot I traded in VII years ago even though something told me to keep it. Now I have X, X-2, XI, XII. I read that Derge of Cerberus was crap so I skipped that one. I am looking forward to XIII.

lerath666
01-03-2008, 05:15 PM
7 was a landmark title, 7 really put Square on the map, and made the Final fantasy games Accessable and popular with an entirely new generation of gamers. That said, Final fantasy 6 Was the greatest Game of the series.
Long Live Terra, and Kefka was the best Villain ever to roll out of Square's design stuidos. :rock

On a side note, FF7 Had ALOt of Yaoi-ish undertones. Once the game was done, did anyone esle question clouds Sexuality?

To this day, I still say he was hot for sephiroth, and was mad becuase he was rejected. Whole reason he hated the guy. :lol

Bardoon
01-04-2008, 05:30 PM
I really don't like their character designs anymore since FFVII...all the characters look the same (with the exception of FFIX characters...but they all suck) especially the main guys with the spiky hair and the metrosexual, rainbow-bright, Japanese punk outfits.

Nolocke
01-05-2008, 10:33 AM
I really don't like their character designs anymore since FFVII...all the characters look the same (with the exception of FFIX characters...but they all suck) especially the main guys with the spiky hair and the metrosexual, rainbow-bright, Japanese punk outfits.

I just wish they would go back to kings and castles, like ff4 and even ff6 wouldn't be bad. They need to stay out of the future.

Bardoon
01-05-2008, 10:38 AM
I just wish they would go back to kinds and castles, like ff4 and even ff6 wouldn't be bad. They need to stay out of the future.

They tried it with FFIX and I think FFXII as well...but in my opinion FFIX was too "kiddie" and I didn't care for the characters or their designs and the story was boring.I did play this game practically to the end...but didn't finish it.

FFXII was based in the same world as FF Tactics (which was a FANTASTIC game) but it still held on to the punk designs and I wasn't intrigued by it either.

Nolocke
01-05-2008, 10:44 AM
FF12 was a good game, I would like them to stop making the men look like women though. I mean I couldn't figure out if Vaan was a chick or a dude until someone finally called him a "him" lol.

nash
01-06-2008, 11:19 AM
FF7 put square on the map? I think they were already on the map long before 7 existed.

sdbuzzcut
01-06-2008, 05:55 PM
Anyone a Final Fantasy fan around here? I just picked up the Masterpiece Arts Cloud and the Sculpture Arts Cloud and Sephiroth(which are absolutely amazing in person). Anyone collect these or play any of the games?

I have one of the Masterpiece Arts Cloud Strife's ordered. One of the members on statueforum.com said the QC is hit and miss and I was wondering about the quality on yours.

Jen
01-06-2008, 10:45 PM
I've only played X, X-2 and XII

I've heard a lot about VII but just can't bring myself to pay the price that it goes for now on the secondary market. I really enjoyed them....X-2 took awhile for me to get into it, but about 1/2 through I was having a pretty good time. I also really liked Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2. Looking forward to 3.

Nolocke
01-06-2008, 10:58 PM
I have one of the Masterpiece Arts Cloud Strife's ordered. One of the members on statueforum.com said the QC is hit and miss and I was wondering about the quality on yours.

Oh yes those 2 statues of cloud and sephiroth fighting was a pain in my ass to get one in perfect condition. I have had 3 sephiroths, all returned and finally the 4th one was in flawless condition. The cloud I got lucky on and only had to return 1, so my second was good. But I was about to say forget it but I guess I'm a die hard fan in the end and finally got 2 good one's. Still pissed me off I went 6 months without the companion Sephiroth piece because of them all being broken in some way :monkey2

Mattzkn1ghtmar3
09-12-2013, 05:52 AM
A mega fan have all orig games from nes to Xbox :) saw the statues in shop for 300 a peice but couldn't afford it at the time shame such amazing pieces if art :)

krec9
09-12-2013, 06:03 AM
Shame how this franchise use to be great.

Drakul
09-12-2013, 09:33 AM
I'm still going through XIII as I'm playing XIV....

Solidus
09-12-2013, 02:20 PM
Shame how this franchise use to be great.

Yeah, the last great game in the series was FF 12. Square Enix has just watered down the franchise with sequels for FF 13.

As for FF 13, I started playing it a few nights ago, and I absolutely hated it :lol. All of the characters look so strange; like pretty-boy K-pop celebrities. I'm used to seeing stylized designs from Amano's artwork, but the sheer amount of androgynous flamboyance in FF 13 is unlike anything I've ever seen. Square must have made that game for chicks.

The linearity of level progressing, and lack of exploration is also very uninspiring.

AerynAerie
09-15-2013, 05:53 AM
I never did make it through 13 (and I'm a chick) waay off base for a FF game. Trust me when I say, 13-2 was way better. And no, you don't have to finish 13 for it to make sense.

By far, 7-12 are my faves.

Frank Jaeger
09-15-2013, 06:16 AM
12 get's a lot of stick too but i don't think it's a bad game at all

Feels like it seems to have a more mythical fantasy element than the rest

Jameson Rook
09-15-2013, 06:42 AM
What a coincidence that this thread got revived, I was just contemplating on playing FF13. I briefly tried out a friends' copy a few years ago and bought one myself, but I never gotten around unwrapping it.

dominishin
09-15-2013, 06:11 PM
As for FF 13, I started playing it a few nights ago, and I absolutely hated it :lol. All of the characters look so strange; like pretty-boy K-pop celebrities. I'm used to seeing stylized designs from Amano's artwork, but the sheer amount of androgynous flamboyance in FF 13 is unlike anything I've ever seen. Square must have made that game for chicks.

What are you talking about?? Amano art is ridiculously androgynous... more-so than Nomura.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-VKwBIkpxRlQ/TcjQrG_RmgI/AAAAAAAAALg/9kvdV6aQ5Aw/s1600/amanoffix.jpg
http://images.wikia.com/finalfantasy/images/8/8f/Final_Fantasy_V_OVA_Amano_Promo_Pin-up.jpg
http://www.creativeuncut.com/gallery-01/art/ff7-cloudaerith.jpg

13-2 has a way better antagonist, story (might be debatable), gameplay, and made characters like Hope very likable; but, it definitely feels like more of an expansion than a full game. The production value of XIII is much higher.

Henry Morgan*
09-15-2013, 06:22 PM
Hope I don't get hated for this but I started with FFXIII, and I liked it

I never been intrested in FF games before that one, and now I can't wait for FF Lightning Returns :drool

Bardoon
09-15-2013, 08:32 PM
There hasn't been a good FF since FFVII.

'Nuff said.

I would like to see Square Enix give one of the Final Fantasy's to a Western studio and see what THEY come up with. I know FF is the holy grail of JRPGs but there comes a time when a series does need some new blood in it to be fresh again. Look what happened when Castlevania was given to a Western studio. And Square has purchased Eidos as well. Maybe allow Eidos to do one of the Final Fantasy games.

And where the F is Chrono 3?

dominishin
09-15-2013, 09:03 PM
Since VII? Uh no. Proven by fans and aggregate reviews.

The new Castlevania's aren't really getting spectacular reception...

Solidus
09-15-2013, 09:06 PM
What are you talking about?? Amano art is ridiculously androgynous... more-so than Nomura.

13-2 has a way better antagonist, story (might be debatable), gameplay, and made characters like Hope very likable; but, it definitely feels like more of an expansion than a full game. The production value of XIII is much higher.

It still doesn't get away from the fact that all of the characters from FF 13 look like failed, girly-man K-pop performers. Aesthetically, it takes away from the playability of the game (for me, anyway). Hope has to be one of the worst characters that I've seen. Of any game for that matter. The same thing goes for that annoying Vanille. I don't think I'll be visiting 13-2 any time soon :slap.

krec9
09-15-2013, 09:40 PM

'Nuff said.

I would like to see Square Enix give one of the Final Fantasy's to a Western studio and see what THEY come up with. I know FF is the holy grail of JRPGs but there comes a time when a series does need some new blood in it to be fresh again. Look what happened when Castlevania was given to a Western studio. And Square has purchased Eidos as well. Maybe allow Eidos to do one of the Final Fantasy games.

I agree with this the series sucks now.

Solidus
09-15-2013, 09:48 PM
FF VI is still my all time favorite game of the series. No other JRPG compares to it, in my opinion.

lerath666
09-16-2013, 09:20 AM

'Nuff said.

VI was better than VII.

VIII was ok, but was still good.

IX was good.

X was... weird.

As for Chrono trigger, any future chrono grames have been rendered impossible for the short term due to weird-*** japanese copywrite laws.

NeoDragonKnight
09-16-2013, 09:54 AM
My favorites were FF IV, V, VI and Tactics. VII and XI were good, but I just couldn't handle the J-pop designs and the series shift to Sci-fi instead of Fantasy.

krec9
09-16-2013, 09:58 AM
Always wanted to play FFVI heard its great.

NeoDragonKnight
09-16-2013, 10:08 AM
FFVI was great because it didn't really focus primarily on a single protagonist. It was about each individual going through their own personal trials and demons and using their friendships to tackle the bigger issues. Not to mention Nobuo Uematsu did one of the greatest Videogame Compositions ever (every single PC had their own unique theme), especially considering it was done on basically midis. And more importantly it didn't contrive a love story (cough FF8 and 9) into the main plot just for the sake of having one, just a few very subtle ones, again as part of the characters own growth.

Solidus
09-16-2013, 10:09 AM
VI was better than VII.

VIII was ok, but was still good.

IX was good.

X was... weird.

As for Chrono trigger, any future chrono grames have been rendered impossible for the short term due to weird-*** japanese copywrite laws.

Wow, I never knew that about the Chrono games. I always wondered why there hasn't been another game in the series since Chrono Cross.

Solidus
09-16-2013, 10:16 AM
FFVI was great because it didn't really focus primarily on a single protagonist. It was about each individual going through their own personal trials and demons and using their friendships to tackle the bigger issues. Not to mention Nobuo Uematsu did one of the greatest Videogame Compositions ever (every single PC had their own unique theme), especially considering it was done on basically midis. And more importantly it didn't contrive a love story (cough FF8 and 9) into the main plot just for the sake of having one, just a few very subtle ones, again as part of the characters own growth.

I love FF VI for those very reasons that you mention. Each character had their own stories and tragedies that were explored in the storyline. The art direction was also was also more "fantasy" based, compared to the J-pop looking characters in the more recent games.

It's definitely my favorite RPG of all time. Chrono Trigger comes in as a close second.

lerath666
09-16-2013, 10:19 AM
here it is, AS BEST as I understand it.

In japan, the rights to characters and product like games is shared equaly by the creator and by the publisher ( unlike in the states, where it is wholy one or the other)

This is to prevent Either party from screwing the other, and only allows for further product to be made if and only if the two parties cooperate.

Now, the creative team behind chrono trigger and chrono cross are the same people who made Xenogears.

And after square cut xenogears budget in 1/2 to fund final fantasy 11, MOST of that creative team Quit square, and went on to form monolith soft.

Square can re-release any game tehy've already published, with any extras in it they like, but they can't make NEW entries into the series without the approval of the creators.

lerath666
09-16-2013, 10:20 AM

YOu forgot the weird, self-loathing, Contrived love story in Final fantasy 7.

krec9
09-16-2013, 10:23 AM

Me and a friends few days talked about the story in FFVII we got confused halfway though the conversation maybe not as good as I remember.

NeoDragonKnight
09-16-2013, 10:28 AM

Ya for sure, that was really really weird on so many levels.

Solidus
09-16-2013, 10:37 AM
here it is, AS BEST as I understand it.

In japan, the rights to characters and product like games is shared equaly by the creator and by the publisher ( unlike in the states, where it is wholy one or the other)

This is to prevent Either party from screwing the other, and only allows for further product to be made if and only if the two parties cooperate.

Now, the creative team behind chrono trigger and chrono cross are the same people who made Xenogears.

And after square cut xenogears budget in 1/2 to fund final fantasy 11, MOST of that creative team Quit square, and went on to form monolith soft.

Square can re-release any game tehy've already published, with any extras in it they like, but they can't make NEW entries into the series without the approval of the creators.

That sounds extremely complicated. But, regardless, it might not be a bad thing for creators to retain control over the use their series. I remember several months ago, when Ubisoft fired the director/creator of Assassin's Creed and ejected him out of the building. From what you mention, it doesn't seem as if something like that can happen as easily in Japan.

Solidus
09-16-2013, 10:39 AM

That's every Final Fantasy game from FF VII and onward :lol.

lerath666
09-16-2013, 10:46 AM
That's every Final Fantasy game from FF VII and onward :lol.

i guess.. but i mean the whole, CLoud Loves sephiroth, but sephiroth rejects him, and stabs him. then Cloud spends his life emulating Sephiroth's lover Zach to the point where he Starts To belive he IS him...

Then he makes the dsecision that if HE can't Have Sephiroth, no-one can, and dedicates his life to killing him...

it's just a little out there EVEN for square.

Solidus
09-16-2013, 10:54 AM
i guess.. but i mean the whole, CLoud Loves sephiroth, but sephiroth rejects him, and stabs him. then Cloud spends his life emulating Sephiroth's lover Zach to the point where he Starts To belive he IS him...

Then he makes the dsecision that if HE can't Have Sephiroth, no-one can, and dedicates his life to killing him...

No kidding :lol. I also remember that cross-dressing scene with Cloud, and his implied rape by some big, burley men in the sauna. That was creepy as hell.

FF VII was an extremely odd game, to say the least.

krec9
09-16-2013, 11:57 AM

Did the real Sephiroth die where they held Jenova ?or did he survive to where Cloud brings him the black materia? Also was that sephiroth that killed Aeris or was it a clone im confused.

Frank Jaeger
09-16-2013, 01:06 PM
The real sephiroth is in the northern crater

lerath666
09-16-2013, 01:23 PM
the REAL sephiroth Is the one who wounds cloud in Nibelheim during the flashback. He is also seriously wounded, and eventualy retrieved by his father, Professor Hojo.

Somehow he ends up in the Crater, with jenova. you fight that one at the end of the game.

Amusingly, the one that you chase through 90% of the game,

it's also worth noting that while all the other Sepherai are clones, they are being psychicly controlled by the real one at varying times though their Jenova cells.

When the clone kills Aeris, for example, the REAL one is controlling him.

Its worth noting that the clone that kills Aeris is just a mutated Jenova body part.

Even Cloud is being controlled to an extent. It's possible this is why he's in Love with sephirtoh. no one is really certian if that's really him, or the influence.

krec9
09-16-2013, 02:37 PM
the REAL sephiroth Is the one who wounds cloud in Nibelheim during the flashback. He is also seriously wounded, and eventualy retrieved by his father, Professor Hojo.

Somehow he ends up in the Crater, with jenova. you fight that one at the end of the game.

Amusingly, the one that you chase through 90% of the game,

it's also worth noting that while all the other Sepherai are clones, they are being psychicly controlled by the real one at varying times though their Jenova cells.

When the clone kills Aeris, for example, the REAL one is controlling him.

Its worth noting that the clone that kills Aeris is just a mutated Jenova body part.

Even Cloud is being controlled to an extent. It's possible this is why he's in Love with sephirtoh. no one is really certian if that's really him, or the influence.

:goodpost: thanks for posting this.

Solidus
09-16-2013, 03:37 PM
Wtf :lol. FF VII is messed up! Been years since I played it, and I was too young to remember all of that.

lerath666
09-16-2013, 04:47 PM
most of that is only aluded to in FF VII.

They go into more detail with the add on games. Crissis core, Dirge of cerberous, etc.

As well as advent children and the anime.

But it was in the bible that was created for the original game.

SOLIDSNAKE
09-19-2013, 04:47 PM
WOW the new FINAL FANTASY for PS4 looks amazing

http://youtu.be/ljtEg1VOVag

Solidus
09-19-2013, 05:03 PM

Now, that looks pretty awesome. I'm just glad that Square is finally moving away from FF XIII.

Marksman
09-20-2013, 01:47 PM

Ok that doesn't look like the FF I remember. That was awesome though. Let's hope most of that gameplay makes it into the actual game.

Solidus
09-20-2013, 03:08 PM
Ok that doesn't look like the FF I remember. That was awesome though. Let's hope most of that gameplay makes it into the actual game.

I just hope that they return to a more traditional form of gameplay. I tried to play FF XIII, but there was too much going on screen to make sense of the battles. I hated all of the bright flashy colors, and characters running all over the place.

PermaG
09-20-2013, 07:23 PM
Did they ever actually make the Sephiroth Masterpiece Arts?

I actually just got done playing through 7 for the first time. The love story part...if anything, it was Cloud and Tifa due to Cloud "taking over" Zack's life. As per Lerath's comments, the reason Cloud can so easily do this, is because like the other, he is a clone of Sephiroth. When Hojo realizes who Cloud is, he refers to him as being the "successful" one/subject/experiment. So Cloud is never "in love" with Sephiroth, he is being called/controlled like the others, hence giving over the Black materia for example. You can tell these times from when cloud falls in pain, etc. Over time with his crew, he realizes and learn how to stop him and so on.

Drakul
09-23-2013, 10:07 AM
Personally I love almost every game in the series for different reasons.
I don't understand people who complain about the 'k-pop' look of XIII considering the series has had that look since VII and some might argue even before that.

I love IV, I love VI but I also love VII-X.
VII was my first real j-rpg and it will always have a special place in my heart. I love the setting, the world, the dark feel of the story. It's just a great game.

The only one I just could not finish is XII, the story is nice, the characters are ok but I can't stand the gameplay. It's basically an MMO system and i couldn't stand waiting 30secs to use a freaking potion.

Now XIII I actually enjoy and don't mind the linearity because the story is fun. Plus unlike some of you I like the futuristic setting. Medieval fantasy rpg are a dime a dozen so it is a nice change.

chaosMonkeyPoo
09-23-2013, 01:40 PM
I just hope that they return to a more traditional form of gameplay. I tried to play FF XIII, but there was too much going on screen to make sense of the battles. I hated all of the bright flashy colors, and characters running all over the place.

Honestly, I'm for them going even further from the traditional game play as possible. The pretty much perfected the turn based system for RPG's in FFX, so its just been treading water for a while now trying to figure out how to evolve. The Kingdom Hearts games were pretty much the smartest move in making a hybrid of action rpg and still have the battle depth that the FF series has had. It actually kind of sounded like the upcoming FFXIII-3 is Square-Enix's latest attempt at making a FF game go that direction before they announced that 14 was going all out with the "action-rpg" style.

lerath666
09-24-2013, 07:40 AM
Did they ever actually make the Sephiroth Masterpiece Arts?

I actually just got done playing through 7 for the first time. The love story part...if anything, it was Cloud and Tifa due to Cloud "taking over" Zack's life. As per Lerath's comments, the reason Cloud can so easily do this, is because like the other, he is a clone of Sephiroth. When Hojo realizes who Cloud is, he refers to him as being the "successful" one/subject/experiment. So Cloud is never "in love" with Sephiroth, he is being called/controlled like the others, hence giving over the Black materia for example. You can tell these times from when cloud falls in pain, etc. Over time with his crew, he realizes and learn how to stop him and so on.

NOpe, sorry. Cloud is Hard Gay for sephiroth. Everyone knows this already, and it's best you just accept that the story of the game centers around Cloud's Self-loathing homosexuality.
( for the recrod, It's a joke man. it's a LONG RUNNING joke about FF7, Becuase of how well it works, if you keep it in mind. it's even possible to go on the Gold saucer date with Barret)

Honestly, I'm for them going even further from the traditional game play as possible. The pretty much perfected the turn based system for RPG's in FFX, so its just been treading water for a while now trying to figure out how to evolve. The Kingdom Hearts games were pretty much the smartest move in making a hybrid of action rpg and still have the battle depth that the FF series has had. It actually kind of sounded like the upcoming FFXIII-3 is Square-Enix's latest attempt at making a FF game go that direction before they announced that 14 was going all out with the "action-rpg" style.

Action RPG's are Monkeypoo. Final fantasy needs to stay turned based.
it's kinda what makes the series stand out.

Kingdom hearts get's a pass, becuase of how awesome it is.

Frank Jaeger
09-29-2013, 11:49 AM
What's people's favourite storylines or sub storylines in any of the games?

Drakul
09-29-2013, 09:21 PM
What's people's favourite storylines or sub storylines in any of the games?

I think my favorite is FF4 when Edge meets his parents who turn into monsters in front of him and he has to fight and kill them.

playboy409
09-30-2013, 02:00 AM
FF6's storyline in its entirety. All of the characters' back stories are also very relevant. And it's probably one of the only few FF where the last boss is actually the bad guy you've been after the whole game and not some weird entity that pops out of nowhere at the end and becomes the last boss.

NeoDragonKnight
09-30-2013, 08:53 AM
FFIV V and VI had some great moments.

SPOILERS

FFIV:
-reveal that Golbez is Cecil's brother
-the constant theme of sacrifice, Cid, Yang, the Twins, Tellah, all have moments where they are willing to give up their lives for their friends (well Tellah's was for revenge).

FFV:
-Gaulf's death where he can't be killed in combat
-Gilgamesh's sub plot was pretty funny.

FFVI:
-I love the personal journeys people go through
Terra - her just trying to figure things about the entire game, I like the part in the returners lair where she can talk to each individual for advice.
Locke - his inability to let Rachel go, and it's interesting how he wants to make amends by helping Terra, and then Celes. The final scene between him and Rachel was very touching, he actually gets to see her and talk to her one last time. And when he goes outside, Celes is there. Very subtle and touching love story, one of the only final fantasies to do it correctly (ie. pre-existing relationship so you don't have the danger of contrived love, and then very subtle and handled lightly and not too deep relationship between Locke and Celes).
Cyan - Similar to Locke in that hes haunted by failing to save his family and another touching scene where he actually does get to say his farewells
Shadow - His Baram and fathering Relm story line, I really really wish they expanded on this, but it was fun piecing together everything in a less explicit way (dreams, hints ect.)
Saban and Edgar - when Saban finds out Edgar uses a 2 headed coin.

lerath666
09-30-2013, 08:58 AM
FF6's storyline in its entirety. All of the characters' back stories are also very relevant. And it's probably one of the only few FF where the last boss is actually the bad guy you've been after the whole game and not some weird entity that pops out of nowhere at the end and becomes the last boss.

:goodpost::exactly: