Turns out AVP had a big fan, you guys might have heard of ...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DouglasMcc

Super Freak
Reaction score
QUINT: I remember before Paul W.S. Anderson did ALIEN VS PREDATOR it came out that you kind of made an offer to do another ALIEN film with Ridley Scott...
JAMES CAMERON: Yeah. Ridley and I talked about doing another ALIEN film and I said to 20th Century Fox that I would develop a 5th ALIEN film. I started working on a story, I was working with another writer and Fox came back to me and said, "We've got this really good script for ALIEN VS PREDATOR and I got pretty upset. I said, "You do that you're going to kill the validity of the franchise in my mind." Because to me, that was FRANKENSTEIN MEETS WEREWOLF. It was Universal just taking their assets and starting to play them off against each other.
QUINT: Milking it, totally.
JAMES CAMERON: Milking it. So, I stopped work. Then I saw ALIEN VS PREDATOR and it was actually pretty good. (laughs) I think of the 5 ALIEN films, I'd rate it 3rd.
QUINT: Ummm...
JAMES CAMERON: I actually liked it. I actually liked it a lot.
QUINT: You know, I hate it when movies don't abide by the continuity of their series...
JAMES CAMERON: When they make up their own rules.
QUINT: Exactly. They did that a lot with the alien incubation time, where from egg to chestbuster it happened...
JAMES CAMERON: In minutes, yeah...
QUINT: That kind of stuff really pissed me off with the movie...
JAMES CAMERON: Well, it starts to become a video game. It's like, "Okay, that can be in him and that can show up over here..." It becomes more metaphorical or more comic book. I don't mean comic book in a negative way, I just mean that it's working at a kind of mythic, metaphoric level as opposed to really trying to immerse you in reality.
I mean, I felt when I was making ALIENS I think the same thing Ridley was doing with ALIEN, which is... "I'm going to make you think this is real." Even though it is completely ridiculous deep space adventure. We were going to make you feel like it's real. It's a question of does the film take itself seriously or not.

https://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=22405

Came across this link while surfing. I have to admit I am surprised. I am not one of the AVP playa' hatas' - I thought it was good mindless fun. But I wouldn't have thought someone as technical and plot centric as Cameron would have gotten into it.

P.S. I also love how the interviewer is trying to tell Cameron he thinks it sucks, but can't bring himself to disagree with him ... classic.

Cameron is full of crap he backflips in interviews all the time man. Ive heard sound bytes and read statements where he said it was friggen crap

Hes telling me his top 5 isnt

Predator, Predator 2, Alien, Aliens, Alien3?

Well alien3 i can understand seeing as he doesnt like the fact they killed of hicks and newt but ****ing 3rd??? over the last 4? BS

Last edited:
Hes telling me his top 5 isnt

Predator, Predator, Alien, Aliens, Alien3?

Well alien3 i can understand seeing as he doesnt like the fact they killed of hicks and newt but ****ing 3rd??? over the last 4? BS

You're committing that cardinal sin again Jamal. It's only BS if I say that's how you feel. Because that's not your opinion. However, according to his own statements, that's how Cameron feels. Plus, re-read the quotes, he wasn't considering the Predator movies when he said out of the last 5 (Alien, Aliens, Alien3, Alien Resurrection, and AVP). So basically, he's saying AVP is better than 3 and Resurrection. Can't say I agree with him, but it's still his opinion to have.

Come on people, it's okay to disagree with someone, even if they're famous. But you can't invalidate their view just because it contradicts yours :monkey3

P.S. I know Predator was a great film, but it gets 2 votes now?!? -- :lol

You're committing that cardinal sin again Jamal. It's only BS if I say that's how you feel. Because that's not your opinion. However, according to his own statements, that's how Cameron feels. Plus, re-read the quotes, he wasn't considering the Predator movies when he said out of the last 5 (Alien, Aliens, Alien3, Alien Resurrection, and AVP). So basically, he's saying AVP is better than 3 and Resurrection. Can't say I agree with him, but it's still his opinion to have.

Come on people, it's okay to disagree with someone, even if they're famous. But you can't invalidate their view just because it contradicts yours :monkey3

P.S. I know Predator was a great film, but it gets 2 votes now?!? -- :lol

LOL i mean P2 bro

AVP being the 5th Alien film, I'd rate it third best out of the five as well because in my nerd mind Alien 3 & 4 didn't happen! Hicks, Bishop, and Newt never died, dammit! (puts fingers in ears and ignores their existence) La La La La La.......

Well to understand why Cameron would rate AVP 3rd favorite out of the 5 Alien films... All you have to do is watch the Aliens extras and realize how angry he was at Alien 3, the fact that they just tossed away his story elements like unwanted trash. They killed Hicks and Newt in the opening seconds, negating entirely the character arc of Ripley in the second film. It was a slap in the face of Cameron and Biehn who both felt like it was almost like they were saying they didn't give a crap about the prior stories and were just going to make another Ripley surviving against all odds picture.

So, if he hates Alien 3 like he does... all that is left is Alien Resurrection... and AVP is a better Alien film that that piece O crap. :lol

Only things that made that film ok to me was a few casting choices... Pearlman and the deep voiced Captain (played the villain in the Crow, I always forget his name) and the Bad ass Ripley clone....

So without a better choice, AVP wins.. And Cameron saying so in an interview is only his way of voicing his disdain for Alien 3. And that being said, if Cameron did another Alien film... It would be another masterpiece. Even though he can't use a lot of his favorite actors again... :(

Camerons new Alien movie was actually ignoring part 3 and 4 and continuing after ALIENS, so he would be using some of them again. :monkey2:monkey2

Okay, I didn't like killing off Hicks and Newt. That pissed me off. But it would piss me off even more if they pretended 3 and 4 didn't exist - what, would Ripley have woken from a dream and found Hicks in the shower :rolleyes:?

Just like life, I expect my fiction to deal with the consequences and move on. So, 3 and Resurrection were made ... no undoing that now. Create a cool Earth War store based on that. Resurrection created the possibility of that with the crash landing. Don't restart it because you didn't like the previous films. I miss Hicks too, but lets not Dark Phoenix this.

Don't restart it because you didn't like the previous films. I miss Hicks too, but lets not Dark Phoenix this.

Laugh.

I dunno. My take on it is this: Fox are cheap-ass jerks who are willing to run the franchise into the ground and milk the series of every ounce of money they can get out it while trying to invest as little money as they can, with no real care for the series, which is obvious, so I don't mind a little ret-conning to go back to the what I feel is the "way things should have been" if it weren't for Fox's cheapness, so I'm in favor of anyone ignoring 3 & 4 and continuing on (laugh), BUT regardless, in my book, if Cameron wants to come back to his own landmark movie and continue his own story, I don't think it's wrong. I think a creator coming back and continuing his own work is different, and kind of special.

It would kind or be like Steve Englehart and Marshal Rogers returning to their specific Batman run and doing a sequel to it like they did a few years back.

Personally I still can't figure how they could have turned the chance to have Cameron come back down. It still mystifies me.

Cameron sequels aside, why did we even have to have Ripley back for part 3 and 4? Why couldn't they have started with a new hero somewhere else battling Aliens and started fresh? That's what I feel they need to do now. Bring in Vin Deisel. ANYBODY cool and just forge on.

I'm stopping now before I REALLY rant!

I don't think it's impossible nor improbable to continue on with a story from a certain point, ignoring the current developments; ie ignoring Alien 3 and 4 and continuing the arc from 'Aliens' (2).

Warner Bros did the same thing with 'Superman Returns'. In the timeline of that film 3 and 4 never exist, and I don't think anyone minds that. To a somewhat lesser extent Batman falls into a similar category. Yes Nolan's Batman series cans stand alongside the Burton films (I will purposefully ignore Schumacher's takes as those really should not exist at all) without negating or contradiciting, but there is no way they could exist in the same continuity.

I may be one of the few who enjoys Alien 3 well enough. Fincher did some interesting things and I like it much better than Resurrection. I was not at all happy that it did not continue the story with Hicks and Newt, but I could deal with it. Resurrection was just kind of bad all around. Even so, I would have no problem at all with a new film picking up where 'Aliens' (2) left off. I doubt many other fans would either. :monkey3

No one should make anything and leave it alone, making more crap will only degrade the series with this "i dont like him or that movie so im gonna erase it mentality"

No one should make anything and leave it alone, making more crap will only degrade the series with this "i dont like him or that movie so im gonna erase it mentality"

I have tried to be nice, but I am getting tired of your selfishness. I enjoyed AVP for it's mindless fun and I really liked Requiem. So, I personally would love to see another film ... or Aliens 5 ... Hell, I would even settle for Predator 3. If you don't like the films, don't go see them. It's that simple. But, don't try (as hypothetical as a forum post is) to take away my enjoyment.

LOL, if you like to see classics ruined by B grade rubbish be my guest.

Why are you offended, all im saying is that the originals are the best and i think its time to say R.I.P to the bull**** B grade sequels and move on.

Its because of people like you that we will see sequels to sequels to sequels that suck.

If your content to let them rip apart movies for a dollar % be my guest also but alot of people including myself dont share that view

Whos being selfish?? Requiem was ok but could have been better but my opinion about AVP was TOTAL CRAP.

James Cameron forgetting about Alien3 and Ressurection and making his own Alien3?? in what world are you living in where you think that **** would better the series man and not make it look worse loosing what little credibility it has left.

Out of all the bad reviews requiem and AVP got your still trying to defend them saying they were a good addition, ok im happy if you enjoyed them but dont tell me they were ok because clearly they wearnt.

If i was Selfish id say keep making more of this B grade crap, im not being selfish on the contrary id rather the series keep its credibility by leaving it alone because clearly no one can get it right. How many AVP movies do we have to see to see a decent one come out? i dunno AVP3 or AVP4? and maybe a descent director with a good track record?

Last edited:
I have tried to be nice, but I am getting tired of your selfishness. I enjoyed AVP for it's mindless fun and I really liked Requiem. So, I personally would love to see another film ... or Aliens 5 ... Hell, I would even settle for Predator 3. If you don't like the films, don't go see them. It's that simple. But, don't try (as hypothetical as a forum post is) to take away my enjoyment.

damn douglas, you gotta chill dude. jamal's stating his opinion on the matter, he thinks the movies suck, why the heck should it bother you?

and what is he trying to take away from you? are you going to argue with the legion of aliens AND predator fans, including myself, that hate AVP? if he doesn't like the movies, yes, he has the option of not watching them. you on the other hand, if you don't like his PERSONAL OPINION, then ignore him.

if your advice is so simple, you'd take it no? not trying to be an ass, but this is a forum to DISCUSS things, debate, talk, argue....NOT to tell the opposing side "your opinion sucks, and so do you"

i regret watching AVP, and because of how much it sucked, i boycotted AVP2...............................
..........there, did that change anything in your life? no, right?

so, for ME, In My Honest Opinion...until a future AvP sequel has a competent director, writer, and music composer involved, i will continue to avoid the AvP movies like the plague and i will continue to feel that these movies are poison to the respective franchises.

I don't think it's impossible nor improbable to continue on with a story from a certain point, ignoring the current developments; ie ignoring Alien 3 and 4 and continuing the arc from 'Aliens' (2).

Warner Bros did the same thing with 'Superman Returns'. In the timeline of that film 3 and 4 never exist, and I don't think anyone minds that. To a somewhat lesser extent Batman falls into a similar category. Yes Nolan's Batman series cans stand alongside the Burton films (I will purposefully ignore Schumacher's takes as those really should not exist at all) without negating or contradiciting, but there is no way they could exist in the same continuity.

I may be one of the few who enjoys Alien 3 well enough. Fincher did some interesting things and I like it much better than Resurrection. I was not at all happy that it did not continue the story with Hicks and Newt, but I could deal with it. Resurrection was just kind of bad all around. Even so, I would have no problem at all with a new film picking up where 'Aliens' (2) left off. I doubt many other fans would either. :monkey3

if they retconned superman, i don't see it being a problem with aliens. unlikely that will happen....but still, it's not a big deal. superman, and now the hulk. word on the streets is the next spiderman is also heading towards the retcon route.

thank god for nolan's films. as much as i like the burton films, nolan's versions, imo, are MUCH MUCH better. i know, i haven't seen the dark knight yet, but i know it'll rock.

if they retconned superman, i don't see it being a problem with aliens. unlikely that will happen....but still, it's not a big deal. superman, and now the hulk. word on the streets is the next spiderman is also heading towards the retcon route.

thank god for nolan's films. as much as i like the burton films, nolan's versions, imo, are MUCH MUCH better. i know, i haven't seen the dark knight yet, but i know it'll rock.

They are going to retcon Spidey, you say?

damn douglas, you gotta chill dude. jamal's stating his opinion on the matter, he thinks the movies suck, why the heck should it bother you?

and what is he trying to take away from you? are you going to argue with the legion of aliens AND predator fans, including myself, that hate AVP? if he doesn't like the movies, yes, he has the option of not watching them. you on the other hand, if you don't like his PERSONAL OPINION, then ignore him.

if your advice is so simple, you'd take it no? not trying to be an ass, but this is a forum to DISCUSS things, debate, talk, argue....NOT to tell the opposing side "your opinion sucks, and so do you"

i regret watching AVP, and because of how much it sucked, i boycotted AVP2...............................
..........there, did that change anything in your life? no, right?

so, for ME, In My Honest Opinion...until a future AvP sequel has a competent director, writer, and music composer involved, i will continue to avoid the AvP movies like the plague and i will continue to feel that these movies are poison to the respective franchises.

Wow, you sure you aren't talking to Jamal? Because every post I have made on both of those films equates to "everyone's entitled to their own opinion." Jamal is the one who throws these bits out there:

"No one should make anything and leave it alone, making more crap will only degrade the series with this "i dont like him or that movie so im gonna erase it mentality".

So, basically he's saying that since he didn't like the films, they should stop making them. God forbid others out there take enjoyment from them. Let's make him happy. He doesn't like the films, he can stop going. They stop making the films, he's happy, but I and many others are not. Unfortunately, we can't get around the problem of their being no films. That's where the selfishness comes into play. I got no problem discussing these films. You don't like them, I respect that. But don't A.) dictate your opinion - check all Jamal's post on Requiem ... his "movie sucks, that's fact" mentality. Not I. I respect both your and his right to hate the movies. But don't try to discount the opposing opinions. I've been debating the issues since the movie opened, never once resorting to tidbits such as:

"Out of all the bad reviews requiem and AVP got your still trying to defend them saying they were a good addition, ok im happy if you enjoyed them but dont tell me they were ok because clearly they wearnt."

That's someone telling me that their opinion is better than mine, and I don't like that. Stick up for your friend if you like, but it's not me telling the opposing side "your opinion sucks, and so do you." I simply want people to realize 2 facts: "there are people who enjoyed Requiem (keep in mind, I never said I loved AVP 1 ... just that it was entertaining for the fights and mindless violence/ FXs) and that their opinions are just as valid as those who hated Requiem.

Back