A little OT - Orc Plaque

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

RickDTM

All,
This is a little OT I know, but I thought I would show you a plaque a friend of mine sculpted....I mean, how can a true LOTR fan resist this face? :D

OrcFinalBeaut.JPG

re

Just the thing to hang on your wall to frighten the pants off you after a night at the clubs. :lol :thud

Very nice though...it has a certain Rick Baker-esque werewolf look about it. :eek :rock

Now the Naughton werewolf is one creation I would like someone to sculpt. :smokin

Re: re

Y'know Gaz, he DOES have kind of a AMWIL look to him. Sorta like the Nazi Demon....

He's got a serious underbite (or is it overbite?)!! :rollin

Great looking plaque! Did you do the painting Rick?

Where's the saliva? :elf

Seriously, it looks fantastic! :clap Did you paint it, Rick?

Looks great! But this Orc reminds me more of the Orcs in World of Warcraft than they do of LOTR Orcs. And if its a wallplaque, does that mean the backside of the head is flat?

Just out of curiosity, but how did you get the eyes to look the way they do? Are they marbles or just handsculpted eyes? I mean, they look like glas to me!

The eyes were there in resin and then I painted them. It's the high gloss that makes them look like marbles.

To say the eyes look like glass means a lot to me! It means I got something right on them. :D

Re: Paint Tips?

Hey Rick, have you ever thought about doing a series of web articles on painting techniques, airbrush tips, beginner lessons, etc.? I would love to be able to paint even half as good as you, but since the last experience I had painting a model or miniature was something like 25 years ago, I'm a bit rusty!! And since most of my experience was painting Aurora monster models with good ole Testors paint (in mostly primary colors!), I don't even know where to begin! :bow :bow

Grima's right...I write how-to articles for a magazine called Amazing Figure Modeler. :D Also, I recently did an airbrush demonstration at a show that was videotaped. It was done on the cuff, so it's pretty rough. I'm waiting to see how it came out myself!

Lcummins, if you have any specific questions, drop me a line at [email protected] and ask away!

I guess I'm going to have to break down and start reading Amazing Figure Modeler. I've picked up an issue here and there, but never gave in to the urges to get a sub or really dive back into figures or models because I can finally obtain high-quality pre-painted statues these days. Rick, I've got an airbrush and have been s-l-o-w-l-y learning to use it, but I might just have to drop you an email when I'm really ready to try my hand at a model again! I have an entire case of the Polar Lights Creature From the Black Lagoon reissue, just waiting to be messed up, one-by-one!! :rollin

To say the eyes look like glass means a lot to me! It means I got something right on them.

I think it's fair to say that you got a lot more right than just 'something'. I have zero artistic talent and only dream to be able to create that kind of effect. I think the best effect that I have seen of yours was the Wiki bust - absolutely superb!!!

LC - Whenever you're ready, drop me a line. I'll be happy to help if I can. :D

CCT - Thanx!! :toast I'm glad you liked the ethereal effect I was shooting for. Wish I still had him!

Back