1:6 Scale Sideshow Old Ben Kenobi

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atom Hues

Super Freak
Reaction score
Due to the fact that I am trusted Sideshow employee with decades of meritorious service, today I was gifted with my 1:6 scale Old Ben Kenobi figure, just a little bit early. Yes, Santa Clause, there is a Virginia.

Like everyone else 'round here, THIS is one of the ones I've been really waiting for.

I think this might be my favorite 12-inch STAR WARS figure from Sideshow. Maybe I'm biased by that 'new toy smell' (Fresh off the boat, it has that fabulous "Made in China, Sealed in Fresh" paint stank). But the bottom line is, this toy is really, really COOL.

The headsculpt is immaculate, a fabulous Alec Guinness likeness. The paint-job is excellent, all the details and wrinkles in the face are clear, and the eyes have great life to them. Good "old guy" colors were used, his hair is that dingy off-white that looks like all the color just grew out, years ago.

The costume fabrication is top-notch. His brown outer robe is a new one, not just a re-purposing of a PT 12" Jedi cloak; it has the neat peak in the back. His tunic, obi, and robes are all very textured, and a nice color was used. There is no ageing or distressing on it, so all you folks with extra bags of tea, start your kettles boiling!

His belt is really well-done. I'm a big fan of sculpting & casting any cloth material that won't scale down properly... I don't feel that leather needs to be used in 1/6 scale if leather was the fabric on the original item, you know what I mean. That being said, the worn leather belt is handled nicely, and the tarnished and patina'd gold buckle looks awesome. The boots are nice, even though I don't think anyone actually knows what type of boot Sir Alec was wearing. They are cast in Sideshow's newer, thinner vinyl, so that some minor posing is possible.

But here's the sweet part: his lightsaber. I have the Master Replicas Old Ben lightsaber, and the 1:6 scale one that comes with this figure seems DEAD-ON. A really nice paint was used to give it that dingy, slightly greasy look.

The extras! The extra "stroke beard while contemplating weighty issues" hand is really choice, and many thanks to the Prince of Mirkwood for giving it up to add some cool to an already cool toy.

The training remote is really nicely detailed, and makes you want that ANH Luke all the more!

The holographic Leia is a nice little piece, looks like yummy candy, gotta make sure my buddy's kid doesn't eat her. The HASBRO 1:6 scale Artoo-Detoos from the '90s are STILL amazingly excellent SW toys, if you have one this little Leia will go really well it!

I'm REALLY happy with this figure; can't wait to find out what you guys & gals think. I think it's gonna be a really popular favorite.

AND, just so you don't think I'm a company stooge whose opinion can be bought with an early toy shipment (my favor is QUITE a bit more expensive than that, thank you very much!), I'll happily list my minor quibbles. Minor Quibbles, the treat that forums ask for by name! Woof, woof!

He could be a little more "Tatooine tan", surely. It isn't apparent when you're holding this little gem in your hand, but if you're watching STAR WARS, you'll start to realize that Alec Guinness apparently spent the months before shooting the film at George Hamilton's villa, where the sun shines 33% more brightly. Old Ben is one tanned mo'fo. But it ain't a deal-breaker, because it doesn't hurt the likeness at all. The paint job on this one really works with the sculpt.

This is a small one, but I kinda wish the hem on the hood was more than a quarter inch... When his hood is up, the frayed edges kinda want to curl away from the hood and show off. Nothing you can't fiddle with, I'm just sayin'....

As for customizing, I tweak all my figures. Much like a cat peeing in a corner, it somehow makes them MINE. I might try tanning him up someday, and I think I might want to give him a little bit of a paunch. Take a look at Old Ben's beltline, and you'll now it to be true: womp rat fritters is TASTY.

Toys is fun!

-AH!

Last edited:
He does come with the Legolas hand, YES!

Thank the maker this one survived the production process.

Wowww..even I, a SW hater, am tempted....best SW FIGURE OF ALL TIME.

Thanks Atom. Very nice.

Yes, this is THE ONE as most of us suspected and hoped for now that you have shared it with us! So GREAT to see how it came out in prod -- It will always be an Instant Classic Collector's item IMO.

And a HUUGE thank you to Trevor Grove, you nailed it Bro.

Thanks for sharing Atom,

Wow, Obi really does look good.That's one figure that sure doesn't look like he needs a repaint or anything. Great, just great. Happy for you to have your christmas joy this early atom :))

oh too cool!!! Thanks for sharing Mr. Hughes! love the review

And once again...this was a pleasure to get to do a head for. Probably to this day one of the more fun likenesses I've done (even after making it twice because of size issues *uugh*)

Trev

Well this puts my fears to rest. Looks like Sideshow knew they HAD to make him survive the ENTIRE production process.

Like Pix said, is that the Legolas "EXCLUSIVE" hand he is coming with? If so, Sideshow owes us a BIG explanation on why an "exclusive" is now no longer exclusive.

Great review Atom! And I don't own any Hasbro, but wow that R2 looks very well done.

As for the Legolas hand, I was always bothered by that one in particular because it's larger than Legolas's left hand. I don't pose him with it because it makes the wrist guard a very tight fit. But if it fits in scale with Old Ben, that'd be great!

YES!

Great news! Thanks Adam! Fears are tempered. Also good to know that the shipment -- fresh from the boat -- may be here sooner than we expected. Might that boat have carried ours as well...?

Well this puts my fears to rest. Looks like Sideshow knew they HAD to make him survive the ENTIRE production process.

Like Pix said, is that the Legolas "EXCLUSIVE" hand he is coming with? If so, Sideshow owes us a BIG explanation on why an "exclusive" is now no longer exclusive.

They made a hand an exclusive?!?! That is kinda 'out there!'

Cool pics - this is a 'must have' figure.

Not into Star Wars, but that Obi figure is pulling a mind trick on me..buy me, buy me :)

It looks great - the sculpt does it

They made a hand an exclusive?!?! That is kinda 'out there!'

Cool pics - this is a 'must have' figure.

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=92081

92081_press02-001.jpg

oldben026ckt5.jpg

Last edited:
Back