NEED HELP!! Just bought a PS3 and have questions

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jen

KurJen - Kurgan Mod
Reaction score
Okay, well I could resist no longer and I found a backwards compatible (which was a big factor for me) 20gb PS3. I got it for only $225 BUT it does not have any cords or controllers. I got a wireless controller on ebay and a power cord....but now I'm wondering do I need just a regular HDMI cable to hook it to the tv or do I need something special? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!! :rock

Thanks so much! :rock I'm so excited to finally have this. Do you have one? If so, any other components you recommend??

Nice score! :rock

Power Cable: check
Controller: check
HDMI Cable: check

Now all you need is a PS3 game and you're all set!

Actually I'm not sure what the USB cable is like with your wireless controller but the one I got with mine was very short so there was no way I could play a game if the controller was out of juice so I bought a 10 foot USB extension cable so I could still play while charging if the controller ran out of power.

Nice score! :rock

Power Cable: check
Controller: check
HDMI Cable: check

Now all you need is a PS3 game and you're all set!

Actually I'm not sure what the USB cable is like with your wireless controller but the one I got with mine was very short so there was no way I could play a game if the controller was out of juice so I bought a 10 foot USB extension cable so I could still play while charging if the controller ran out of power.

I'm not sure how long the USB cable is, but it is also probably short. I will look into getting an extension for it. What is so silly is I just bought some PS2 games to tie me over until I got a PS3 in January or so....and then I decided to get this now....so I'll have some new PS2 games...but not PS3 games yet....well atleast not right this minute. I may look and see what I can find on sale later this evening. :)

Congrats Jen, I bought the 60 GB when that and the 20 GB were the first ones released. I love this batch because of the backwards compatibility.

Like others said, a regular HDMI cable will do. Buy a generic brand, skip the Monster cables and save yourself the cash.

Save that money for some Blu-ray movies...

:D

Cant really remember or no, but if you want to go online your gonna need the cable for it (since I think the 20's were not wireless connection). Also pick up Folklore for one of your games as well as Heavenly Sword.

Yea, if you wanna go online get yourself a LAN cable (ethernet).

6 feet will cost you about $12

I doubt I'll be going online...I'm really not an online gamer, but I'll pick up a cable just in case. I really don't need to be able to view my photos or download crap...I just want to play video games and watch movies...that's it. :lol

Am looking at ordering these games:
Ratchet and Clank
Heavenly Sword
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

Maybe:
Assassin's Creed (sounds interesting)

I hadn't heard of Folklore before, that sounds very interesting as well. :)

I doubt I'll be going online...I'm really not an online gamer, but I'll pick up a cable just in case. I really don't need to be able to view my photos or download crap...I just want to play video games and watch movies...that's it. :lol

Am looking at ordering these games:
Ratchet and Clank
Heavenly Sword
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

Maybe:
Assassin's Creed (sounds interesting)

I hadn't heard of Folklore before, that sounds very interesting as well. :)

Jen we will miss you on Xbox Live! I think though you will love Drake's. Again it is my game of the year! :cool:

Going by the demo Uncharted seems pretty good. HS is a good game but is kinda on the short side I would have to say, but good for the time you play it.

https://www.gametrailers.com/player/25946.html

Check the link for a review on Folklore since you havnt heard of it, and you can also check out some other reviews for other games as well. I would say get the ethernet cable anyways, that way you can download demos and such.

Jen we will miss you on Xbox Live! I think though you will love Drake's. Again it is my game of the year! :cool:

:monkey2:monkey2 Maybe one day I'll get an Xbox.....glad to hear you love Drake's. I really love the Tomb Raider games and I'm hoping that this will be similar. :) I really can't wait for Devil May Cry 4 and Resident Evil 5! I'll be ready for them now!! :rock

Going by the demo Uncharted seems pretty good. HS is a good game but is kinda on the short side I would have to say, but good for the time you play it.

https://www.gametrailers.com/player/25946.html

Check the link for a review on Folklore since you havnt heard of it, and you can also check out some other reviews for other games as well. I would say get the ethernet cable anyways, that way you can download demos and such.

Thanks for that link Sniper33. I'm on my boss' crappy, crappy computer that is not a pc and whenever I try to watch videos/trailers it's so choppy...so I'll watch them in the morning when I'm home and on my own computer. :) :rock Good think I've been pretty nice this year, I'm going to have a very long list for Santa now! :lol

No, you can get them online at the Playstation site.

Even if you're going to the Playstation site, you still need to get online, right?

I've heard that some Blu-ray DVDs won't play right without the latest software updates, so make sure you get connected!

Back