Orthanc upto £1000!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

FrodoEyes

cgi.ebay.co.uk/LORD-OF-TH...dZViewItem

Congrats Buzz!
Three days still to go and already at the highest I've ever seen it. So glad I pounced on one when I did, and I don't think I would ever sell mine no matter how much money it went for as I love the tower so much. But to be honest I just think bidders are impressed with that Cave Troll ;)

You can guarentee that there will be a few Orthancs appearing on ebay over the next week. Quite why anyone is willing to pay such an amount for this environment is a mystery to me but to each his own. I would much rather a Cave Troll, a Witchking or a couple of Moria Orcs.

EH

:dunno I don't get it either.Notice how far back the Cave troll is to make Orthanc look bigger!! I would'nt pay £50 for it after seeing how small it actually is in person.
Has anyone got the BB Ferry enviroment as its the first one i've been t:dunno empted by.Is it as nice as the pic's??

Re: EH

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Notice how far back the Cave troll is to make Orthanc look bigger!!<hr></blockquote>

I just had to look at the auction, after I read that bit.

That's funny! of course I'm sure others on the board would not hesitate to do similar things as that, it's not really a bad or deceptive thing unless a person is completely lacking common sense and lacking instinctive depth perception.

something behind something a way back usually should appear smaller.. hmm *scratches head* what? Could you repeat that? Something farther where? bigger? huh?

Oh well. Even flattening the depth difference giving an orthanc 16 inches tall still doesn't beat what mine will be..

WA HA HA HA!

I saw a picture of it for the first time next to another statue, it was shorter then the dam GTG statue.

NO THANKS! Certainly not for that price. Maybe for the $75 it should have sold for, just to pair with Barad-Dur.

Jesse

Question for those on the other side of the pond. I list on Ebay USA, is it any different if I list on Ebay.co.uk? Will it gets more exposure or does the USA search results merge with UK results? It seems that the European crowd may be willing to pay more for rare items.

NO THANKS! Certainly not for that price. Maybe for the $75 it should have sold for, just to pair with Barad-Dur.

Why, $75 heck it only cost $95 yet there must have been alot of hours invested in this to overcome the difficulties of producing it and still they couldn't do the entire edition size.
There is a heck of alot of detail on the ground as well as on the building.

Becuase $75 dollars it what I would be willing to spend, that's all. No fancy reason.

Jesse :p

jess. Save it, if it ain't worth $95 it sure ain't gonna be worth $75. :p

LF ... you wanna a picture. Can get that for free! :dance

I wonder if anyone that disses Orthanc so much in this thread has actually ever seen it up close in r/l.

Because I certainly find it a beautiful statue, or environment rather. The detail on this thing is absolutely amazing.

Is it worth over $1500,-?
That's debatable, of course. A matter of taste, rarity and the somewhat legendary status. For example, you should take into account that most of western Europe was left out of the delivery. As a result, most collectors here have never seen it apart from on pictures.

I find some (if not most) of Picasso's work utter rubbish and yet there are people out there that become lyrical when they see it. So much that they are willing to spend millions on it.

Beauty is in the eye :eye of the beholder. 8o 8)

Now somebody please pay 2k + for my Orthanc! :naughty :lol

I was wondering the same thing, whether people just put the statue down because they're stunned that something so small can sell for so much (Incidentally I don't think size matters on this piece so much as the detail does, beauty can be found in the smallest of things. It doesn't always have to be BIGGER! BETTER! MORE!), and people that do put it down don't truly love the tower itself, just the idea of owning something so rare and valuable.
The other way of thinking is why I will not sell mine - for some reason I love that tower, from the moment I first saw it on film. I love the architecture, the design, the location and what happens there. I loved it even more when reading the book - some of my favourite moments in the story happen there - Gandalfs imprisonment and Sarumans treachery, the ents destruction of Isengard and best of all, the parley with Saruman by the good guys. I also love Alan Lee's drawing of Orthanc, it's become one of those iconic images even before the films were made, and the fact that HE worked on this film and HE designed the same tower for the movie that he drew for the book makes it seem that this statue is straight from the book and even more authentic, especially when coupled with the fact that Weta, who sculpted Lee's drawing for the film, are the ones who sculpted this environment for people to buy!
Whether this reasoning is what drives people to spend a thousand pounds on it, I'm not sure, but it's why I will never sell it as it's in my top 3 of favourite SSW items.
And I gave it a quick fondle yesterday so I could feel what a thousand pounds feels like ;) Very spiky!

Also just found out on Chucks board that the film makers used a SSW Orthanc for a few shots in ROTK....it's in the commentaries! So it must be a fantastically detailed statue to be used in the actual film. So there's another reason it costs so much....it's a prop replica!!

As anticiapted, a bargain Orthanc has appeared on ebay:

cgi.ebay.co.uk/LORD-OF-TH...dZViewItem

It's always the case. An extreme value sets the precedent and then others assume that to be the market value. I have no desire to be scapled!

I have owned one in the past and, although I acknowledge the considerable detail that has gone into it, I preferred to sell it and then purchase statues.

If I won the lottery I would buy one in order to pursue a complete collection but I would never dream of paying a third of that price for one.

As anticiapted, a bargain Orthanc has appeared on ebay:
Ebay Orthanc Bargain

And if anyone is considering "stealing" this one, just check the "detailed" item description and his feedback...

...item not MIB...item lost...item broken...never received...:bonk

Did I mention that I got mine for about $ 250.-- a few weeks ago:banana ? I felt a little guilty, yes, but couldn't get myself to tell the seller what these go for on Ebay today...

HI GUYS
I HAVE CTREATED QUITE A STIR.
ORTHANC IS A FANTASTIC STATUE,
THE DETAIL IS AWSOME
IT WAS ONE I WAS NEVER GOING TO SELL (WITH MY TROLL AND STEED)
BUT I SAW ONE GO FOR 840GBP A FEW WEEKS AGO, AND I HAD TO TRY MY LUCK.
I THINK I PAYED ABOUT 250 GBP A FEW YEARS BACK FOR IT SO ITS A NICE RISE, THAT COUPLED WITH SSW'S INABILITY TO MAKE ME A GOD DAMN BARAD DUR COMPANION PIECE SEALED ORTHANCS FATE.
ILL BE SAD TO SEE IT GO AS IT WAS MY FIRST "SILLY " PURCHASE .
BUT PEOPLE SHOULDNT KNOCK WHAT OTHER PEOPLE PAY FOR THESE STATUES THOUGH,
ITS UP TO THEM SURLEY
ITS NOT LIKE U CAN BUY ONE FROM THE LOCAL SHOP IS IT.
I DID FIND IT STRANGE THAT THE ITEM RECIEVED BIDS EVEN WHEN TWO OTHER ORTHANCS APPEARED ON EBAY.
( BOTH MORE DESIRABLE ARTIST PROOF AND FINAL EDITION)
WHAT I DO FIND TOTALLY INCONCIVABLE IS HOW ORTHANC IS WORTH SO MUCH MORE THAN MY G/G DEWBACK , NO THATS STRANGE
ANY WAY
BYE BYE PEOPLE
:wave

I like my Orthanc and it still amazes me that I received it with no damage as there are about a Bazillion fragile fins on it..
:orthanc :eek: rthanc:orthanc :eek: rthanc:orthanc :eek: rthanc:orthanc :eek: rthanc:orthanc :eek: rthanc:orthanc :eek: rthanc:orthanc :eek: rthanc:orthanc :eek: rthanc:orthanc :eek: rthanc:orthanc :eek: rthanc:orthanc :eek: rthanc:orthanc :eek: rthanc:orthanc :eek: rthanc:orthanc :eek: rthanc:orthanc :eek: rthanc:orthanc :eek: rthanc:orthanc :eek: rthanc:orthanc :eek: rthanc:orthanc :eek: rthanc:orthanc :eek: rthanc:orthanc :eek: rthanc:orthanc :eek: rthanc:orthanc

Back