PDA

View Full Version : Alien VS Predator Exclusive Ultimate Showdown Collector's DVD Set

leatherneck
11-25-2007, 06:47 AM
Anyone have any more information about this set?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8609525&st=alien&type=product&id=1773336

I am curious as to who made the statue that comes with this set. Looks like I will be at Best Buy on Tuesday for this one.

Stendec
11-25-2007, 06:55 AM
The only thing that would tempt me to buy this movie is if it came with a sixthcalse Queen :rotfl

Collector Freak
11-25-2007, 07:31 AM
How many times can they release these crappy movies?

abake
11-25-2007, 07:48 AM
"These crappy movies"?
Other than A:R and P2, most movies there are damn classics (I like AvP better than A:R).

Shai
11-25-2007, 08:10 AM
Superman returns, now, that was a crappy movie.

Jamal
11-25-2007, 08:34 AM
I think he means how many times do we wanna own the same movie over again lol

abake
11-25-2007, 08:45 AM
Very good point...

Stuntman Mike
11-25-2007, 12:07 PM
Aliens vs. Predator was utter rubbish. This is beyond contestation.

No matter how many times they release the DVD or package it with figures etc. It doesn't change the fact that it is a crappy movie.

Keep the species separate. Of course, this is just my opinion.

KitFisto
11-25-2007, 12:16 PM
Aliens vs. Predator was utter rubbish. This is beyond contestation.

No matter how many times they release the DVD or package it with figures etc. It doesn't change the fact that it is a crappy movie.

Keep the species separate. Of course, this is just my opinion.

Well thanks for clearing that up. Remember, your opinion is fact to you. I didn't think it was "good", but it was an ok popcorn flick. I didn't hate AVP. it was ok.

Jamal
11-25-2007, 12:24 PM
Well ive got the Alien 25th Anniversary Box and the Quadrilogy and both Predator movies. Im not sucked into these marketing ploys by FOX to re release every movie over and over again, what a waste of monet seriously

Batty
11-25-2007, 12:44 PM
Well ive got the Alien 25th Anniversary Box and the Quadrilogy and both Predator movies. Im not sucked into these marketing ploys by FOX to re release every movie over and over again, what a waste of monet seriously

I have both Alien box sets and Predator movies too. I know I'll eventually have to at least buy Alien and Aliens on HD. I'm definitely done re-buying movies on DVD.

p!tu
11-25-2007, 01:02 PM
http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/796265

icruise
11-25-2007, 01:48 PM
The only way I'm rebuying these movies is on an HD format.

Rob
11-25-2007, 04:29 PM
"These crappy movies"?
Other than A:R and P2, most movies there are damn classics (I like AvP better than A:R).
Woah, woah, woah, don't go comparing P2 to A:R, P2 was actually a pretty damn good sequel, unlike A:R(Though Ron Perlman still kicked ass).

Overall, yeah, another cheap 'Oh these are new, buy them!' by FOX trying to get you to by already released DVDs.

If you want to get some good Alien/Predator DVDs, get the Alien Quadrilogy and the Predator and Predator 2 Collectors Edition set.

I don't even consider AVP as an Alien or Predator movie, way too crappy to compare to either great franchise.

Stendec
11-25-2007, 04:42 PM
In a year or so the new AVP film will out on DVD so this boxset will become redundant pretty quickly.

Batty
11-25-2007, 04:54 PM
In a year or so the new AVP film will out on DVD so this boxset will become redundant pretty quickly.

That's how Fox will win every time. They'll just keep repackaging, and people will buy. It's the same with SW.

Jamal
11-25-2007, 07:36 PM
Dont get sucked into this Bull**** marketing ploy. Thats all ill say

Rob
11-25-2007, 07:42 PM
Dont get sucked into this Bull**** marketing ploy. Thats all ill say
^Truer words have never been said.

Jamal
11-25-2007, 08:42 PM
The only way I'm rebuying these movies is on an HD format.

Same here dude, HD or Blue Ray, whatever i choose in a years time

Sabres21768
11-26-2007, 01:45 AM
Does anyone know if there are plans on releasing these films in HDDVD/BLUERAY format anytime soon?

Jamal
11-26-2007, 03:06 AM
Dunno about soon, but the library is growing at a massive rate for both formats so its 100% guarenteed to be on the cards. Aliens will rock HD/Blueray man

DarkKnight2k4
11-27-2007, 07:27 AM
I would have went for it if it was in Blu-ray/HD

Jamal
11-27-2007, 08:06 AM
Yup, that would be a DEFINITE keeper then. 350 dollars for movies i already own? pfftttt id rather buy collectibles

leatherneck
11-27-2007, 01:20 PM
I stopped by Best Buy today just to check out the statue that came with this set. It looks like they took some Mcfarlane AVP figures, glued the joints and made a cheap knock off statue with a cheesy base for them. I was mainly interested in this statue and was curious to see who made it, as I too already own all of the movies on DVD.

Natrix
11-27-2007, 05:28 PM
I stopped by Best Buy today just to check out the statue that came with this set. It looks like they took some Mcfarlane AVP figures, glued the joints and made a cheap knock off statue with a cheesy base for them. I was mainly interested in this statue and was curious to see who made it, as I too already own all of the movies on DVD.

McFarlane figures still have joints?? :lol

p!tu
11-27-2007, 06:16 PM
McFarlane figures still have joints?? :lol

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

Bardoon
11-27-2007, 06:29 PM
You all know that if the Aliens/Predator movies were re-released on HD-DVD or Blu-Ray that there would be NO difference in the film quality? The technology didn't exist back then...it was all good ol' 35 mm. video cameras and not the high-def. ones they use nowadays. Any blow-ups (like 70 mm) would just reduce the quality of the film.

Your best luck for a HD Aliens/Predator movie would be...well...AVP...if it was shot in high-def.

Natrix
11-27-2007, 08:47 PM
You all know that if the Aliens/Predator movies were re-released on HD-DVD or Blu-Ray that there would be NO difference in the film quality? The technology didn't exist back then...it was all good ol' 35 mm. video cameras and not the high-def. ones they use nowadays. Any blow-ups (like 70 mm) would just reduce the quality of the film.

Your best luck for a HD Aliens/Predator movie would be...well...AVP...if it was shot in high-def.

Actually you are way off on those comments. Film has MORE resolution than HD.

The four major film formats provide pixel resolutions (calculated from pixels per millimeter) roughly as follows:

* Academy Sound (Sound movies before 1955): 15 mm × 21 mm (1.375) = 2160 × 2970
* Academy camera US Widescreen: 11 mm × 21 mm (1.85) = 1605 × 2970
* Current Anamorphic Panavision ("Scope"): 17.5 mm × 21 mm (2.39) = 2485 × 2970
* Super-35 for Anamorphic prints: 10 mm × 24 mm (2.39) = 1420 × 3390

Typical high-definition home video uses the following resolutions:

* 1280 × 720
* 1920 × 1080

Jamal
11-28-2007, 01:04 AM

Sif the statue is worth that kinda money..

Dr.Mirakle32
01-27-2008, 10:25 AM
I personally don't own ANY of the Alien/Predator films, in any format. However, I do love the original ALIEN and the original PREDATOR. ALIENS and P2 were alright, but I haven't seen any of the other films in the series, including the first AVP.

Should I save up and get this massive box set (my local store still has 7 for 169.99 each?) Or should I wait until the original ALIEN is on blu-ray, and forget about the rest (my family is getting a blu-ray player, and I know that PREDATOR is coming out pretty soon)?

Darth Waller
01-27-2008, 10:29 AM
Just get Alien, Aliens and Predator. Skip the rest. :D

icruise
01-27-2008, 10:30 AM
I wouldn't invest in such an expensive set at this point. You know it'll come out on Blu-ray sooner or later.

uscmhicks
01-27-2008, 03:37 PM
"These crappy movies"?

P2 is my fave of the lot :monkey2:monkey2.
I don't think any of them are crappy some are just alot better than the others , and avp was a huge disappointment!.

Rob
01-27-2008, 07:08 PM
Woah, woah! Predator 2 is a CLASSIC! Deserves to be right up there with Predator, ALIEN, ALIENS and the Assembly Cut of ALIEN3. Pretty much the best films of either franchise, A:R, AVP and AVP-R being the worst.

But yeah, I like Predator 2 abit more than the first. Concentrates more on the Predator, introduces some VERY good concepts aswell as weapons, designs and backstory to the Predators themselves.

Jamal
01-27-2008, 07:35 PM
IMO theres no difference between P1 & P2, both are awesome!

uscmhicks
01-27-2008, 10:01 PM
Woah, woah! Predator 2 is a CLASSIC! Deserves to be right up there with Predator, ALIEN, ALIENS and the Assembly Cut of ALIEN3. Pretty much the best films of either franchise, A:R, AVP and AVP-R being the worst.

But yeah, I like Predator 2 abit more than the first. Concentrates more on the Predator, introduces some VERY good concepts aswell as weapons, designs and backstory to the Predators themselves.

Thank you for the back up!! :monkey3.

Bardoon
01-27-2008, 10:04 PM

Oh yeah I agree with that. Predator 2 did a lot to really write up more of a history for the Predators...even more so than the original movie did. I really see it "on par" with the original Predator...also because Predator 2 took place in an entirely different environment than Predator.

Rob
01-28-2008, 05:38 AM
Oh yeah I agree with that. Predator 2 did a lot to really write up more of a history for the Predators...even more so than the original movie did. I really see it "on par" with the original Predator...also because Predator 2 took place in an entirely different environment than Predator.

Agreed on the environment change. I personally thought it was cooler than the original Predator's;

Predator: Hunts elite team of commandos headed by Arnie in a jungle in Cambodia? Cool!

Predator: Hunts/Fights cops and drug dealers in a nihilistic future Los Angeles overrun by gangs? *****ING BADASS!

Thank you for the back up!! :monkey3.
No prob!

I, personally, still don't know why Predator 2 was bashed when it was released. Maybe because Arnie wasn't in it? He was a pretty big star back in the late 80's/early-to-mid 90's, so I guess that may have something to do with it...

Reinhardt
01-28-2008, 06:12 AM
I, personally, still don't know why Predator 2 was bashed when it was released. Maybe because Arnie wasn't in it? He was a pretty big star back in the late 80's/early-to-mid 90's, so I guess that may have something to do with it...

I've asked myself the same question. I think it's the same reason that people think the original King Kong from the 30s was better than Peter Jackson's version - the first is always the best, no matter how good any sequels are.

P2 rocked!! definitely expanded on the predator mythos.

Jamal
01-28-2008, 07:11 AM
Like i said before, the quality and story of P1 & P2 are neck and neck, creature design and special effects were awesome, who cant love the warehouse showdown!

SOLIDSNAKE
01-28-2008, 08:32 AM
The only thing that would tempt me to buy this movie is if it came with a sixthcalse Queen :rotfl

hahahaahahahah!!! yeaa the 1/4 sideshow/stan winston !

:lol :lol :lol

SOLIDSNAKE
01-28-2008, 08:36 AM
How many times can they release these crappy movies?

yeaaa!

P1 P2 ALIEN ALIENS ! wow man those are not crappy movies!

CLASSICS MAN !!