Stephen King's "THE MIST" by Frank Darabont

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrishJedi

Super Freak
Reaction score
Off to catch a screening here in the ATL. I am very psyched for this. Anyone else?

After "Shawshank" and "Green Mile" I'm down for any new movie from Frank Darabont (I even liked "The Majestic") but I am so excited for this one based on advanced buzz and the trailers/tv spots.

I'll share my thoughts (non-spoilers) later.

:chew

Now this I can't wait for. I remember reading the novella back when I was a kid. It's a great story. I hope the movie is too.

The reviews for this movie aren't very "Shawshank" or "Green Mile" like.

Too bad, because The ShawShank Redemption is my all-time favorite movie and the Green Mile ranks amongst my favorites.

Honestly, I am still digesting this movie. I don't want to discuss specifics, but if you intend to see it do so as soon as possible (it opens Wednesday) so no one ruins anything for you.

It's no "Shawshank", but then this is a wholly different type of film.

Essentially, Darabont goes way beyond the Stephen King novella (and the ending is, uh, quite different).

It runs right around 2 hours. The first hour and 50 minutes of which is a straight creature feature, complete with fun monster stuff, frights, creepy-crawlies, over-the-top gore, annoying as hell characters, and funky dialogue. A lot of it reminded me of John Carpenter's "The Thing" actually (this is a compliment).

But the end. Whoa. Let's just say that the tone of the last 5-10 minutes of the movie could not be more different and it turns out Darabont sets up the audience for most of the film by playing an emotional sleight of hand that results in a curveball to the gut. The type of which will have everyone talking about it afterward. I couldn't shake it during my 30+ minute drive home alone.

(Interesting aside: This film could basically work as a prequel to "Half Life". Yes, the game).

Stephen King said himself that the ending was a shocker. I can't wait to see this movie even though I will probably be terrified:lol

“Frank wrote a new ending that I loved. It is the most shocking ending ever and there should be a law passed stating that anybody who reveals the last 5 minutes of this film should be hung from their neck until dead.”
https://www.cinemablend.com/new/Stephen-King-Loves-The-Mist-s-New-Ending-6909.html

Stephen King said himself that the ending was a shocker. I can't wait to see this movie even though I will probably be terrified:lol

“Frank wrote a new ending that I loved. It is the most shocking ending ever and there should be a law passed stating that anybody who reveals the last 5 minutes of this film should be hung from their neck until dead.”
https://www.cinemablend.com/new/Stephen-King-Loves-The-Mist-s-New-Ending-6909.html

Will clicking that link ruin the ending for me?

Will clicking that link ruin the ending for me?

Oh no, not at all! I don't even know the ending. It's just where the snippet from Stephen King came from. Besides, King says that it's against the law to write about the ending. I don't wanna break the law! :)

Oh no, not at all! I don't even know the ending. It's just where the snippet from Stephen King came from. Besides, King says that it's against the law to write about the ending. I don't wanna break the law! :)

If King loves it, then I'm sure it will be good. I'm going with the mist eats the entire world and turns out to be a cloud of galactus. oh wait, that crappy version of galactus has already been made

I'm really looking forward to it, read the book a long time ago but the preview has me anticipating it. And Thomas Jane is a good actor and I like to support him, so I'm there. :rock

I'm really looking forward to it, read the book a long time ago but the preview has me anticipating it. And Thomas Jane is a good actor and I like to support him, so I'm there. :rock

I also like Thomas Jane. I didn't like him charging like $50 at SDCC for his
autography

13 hours later and I still can't shake this movie completely.

No matter how it's ultimately received by the masses, there is no doubt that Darabont has conjured a deceptively provocative film here.

Yeah, I may have to get out this weekend to go see this. Saw the preview a while back and it looks cool as hell.

Back