PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince--SPOILERS!!!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

pixletwin
11-15-2007, 04:56 PM
There is a new featurette on the 6th HP movie:

http://www.worstpreviews.com/trailer.php?id=561&item=0

Who cares about new Quidditch costumes?

Mesa
11-15-2007, 05:33 PM
Time to finish that book.

Personally, I thought the Order of the Phoenix was excellent and the movie was the worst of all 5.

EVILFACE
11-15-2007, 05:33 PM
Another one? How many damn Potter books are out there?

Mesa
11-15-2007, 06:02 PM
7, last book just released a couple months back, so two more movies to go, this one included.

PLEASE no spoilers. Do you know how hard it is to try and not hear what happened and who dies in last book. I think I've managed, but have heard some stuff.

UTtoyfan
11-15-2007, 06:44 PM
Can't wait for the movie! I like how that woman says the word "quidditch".

Captain Faramir
11-15-2007, 06:48 PM
Funny, the fifth movie is the only one I really liked. That's the funny thing about the HP series--everybody has totally different favorites. I HATE numbers 3 and 4, yet my sisters read them like the Bible. Yet number 5 is my favorite thing ever, and all of my friends look down on it.

I'll give the woman credit; she manages to please everybody at some point. :cool:

KitFisto
11-15-2007, 06:54 PM
CF,

You hated 3 & 4?? wow, they were the best 2 IMO. I really liked 5 as well. Can't wait for 6.

NASEDO
11-15-2007, 06:58 PM
Can't wait for this, or the new bluray DVDs coming soon. I thought the Order of the Phoenix movie was "choppy", alot the scenes seemed to get cut off and jump to something totally different. Still good though. Still waiting for the PF line from GG to start moving.

Darth Caedus
11-15-2007, 07:02 PM
I can't wait for #6. I really really really really really hope that they get the guy who played Tom Riddle in Chamber of Secrets to play him in HBP. Love the books and love the movies.

Mesa
11-15-2007, 07:05 PM
Can't wait for this, or the new bluray DVDs coming soon. I thought the Order of the Phoenix movie was "choppy", alot the scenes seemed to get cut off and jump to something totally different. Still good though. Still waiting for the PF line from GG to start moving.

Exactly. I had finished the book the day I went to see the movie and was very dissapointed, but more so than is typical with the book vs. movie scenario. I actually started wondering during the film how people that had not read the book could have followed along without some questions as to motivation of characters, plot holes, etc. They hardly included Kreacher and he was a great character. The other movies were spot on, parts that were left out didn't matter much, just a bonus you get by reading book. Hopefully future movies won't be so dissapointing (IMO). The final seen with the prohecy was completely different than what I envisioned.

Edit: What's the "PF" line from GG? you mean the busts? Or is Gentle Giant producing premium format figures of HP I'm not aware of?

Buttmunch
11-15-2007, 07:08 PM
So have they announced any of the new cast yet? Slughorn, Scrimgoure, Greyback?

I really hope Bill Nigh (Davy Jones, Shaun's step-dad) gets in the series somehow.

Buttmunch
11-15-2007, 07:10 PM
Exactly. I had finished the book the day I went to see the movie and was very dissapointed, but more so than is typical with the book vs. movie scenario. I actually started wondering during the film how people that had not read the book could have followed along without some questions as to motivation of characters, plot holes, etc. They hardly included Kreacher and he was a great character. The other movies were spot on, parts that were left out didn't matter much, just a bonus you get by reading book. Hopefully future movies won't be so dissapointing (IMO). The final seen with the prohecy was completely different than what I envisioned.

Edit: What's the "PF" line from GG? you mean the busts? Or is Gentle Giant producing premium format figures of HP I'm not aware of?

I felt the same about those who didn't read the book. There was no stopping to explain anything. You either got it, or didn't. I kind of like that because it didn't waste time, but the film was still too short.

Yes, there is a PF line you are not aware of. They showed Voldemort and Harry at SDCC.

Darth Caedus
11-15-2007, 07:13 PM
I felt the same about those who didn't read the book. There was no stopping to explain anything. You either got it, or didn't. I kind of like that because it didn't waste time, but the film was still too short.

Yes, there is a PF line you are not aware of. They showed Voldemort and Harry at SDCC.

Honestly, a lot of OoTP was filler writing. A lot of it wasn't necessary, but IMHO, they left a WHOLE lot out that I would have liked. But if they put in everything I liked, the movie would have been like 7 hours long. Which honestly, I would have seen, but I digress.

Captain Faramir
11-15-2007, 07:16 PM
CF,

You hated 3 & 4?? wow, they were the best 2 IMO. I really liked 5 as well. Can't wait for 6.

Yeah, in my opinion they were really weak. But there you have it; everybody has their own likes and dislikes and what some really love others may not care for. And thank goodness for that. :cool:

Darth Loki
11-15-2007, 07:22 PM
Honestly, a lot of OoTP was filler writing. A lot of it wasn't necessary, but IMHO, they left a WHOLE lot out that I would have liked. But if they put in everything I liked, the movie would have been like 7 hours long. Which honestly, I would have seen, but I digress.

It's gotta be so hard to take an 800 page book and make a 175-200 page movie. 3/4 of the book must be left out. It really sucks but I wish each movie was 3.5 hours long with an extended version :o

Darth Caedus
11-15-2007, 07:24 PM
It's gotta be so hard to take an 800 page book and make a 175-200 page movie. 3/4 of the book must be left out. It really sucks but I wish each movie was 3.5 hours long with an extended version :o

:rock:rock:rock:rock:rock:rock:rock:rock

Darth Loki
11-15-2007, 07:31 PM
So have they announced any of the new cast yet? Slughorn, Scrimgoure, Greyback?

I really hope Bill Nigh (Davy Jones, Shaun's step-dad) gets in the series somehow.

I know they've been filming the cave part, which should be awesome. I know they casted Mrs. Malfoy, but can't remember who it was. I cannot wait to see this movie. Too bad I need to wait another year.

I'm a bit surprised to see Quiditch back since it really doesn't add that much to either of the last two books.

I imagine Slughorn is a must for this film. I really hope they have Greyback as he is such an interesting character (should really add to the suspense at the end of the movie and in the last movie)

Wetanut
11-15-2007, 07:38 PM
James Broadbent was cast as Slughorn months ago. Another excellent bit of casting.

Mesa
11-15-2007, 07:38 PM

Some help on keywords to google for more info, please. Are these available now, through normal etailers, directly through GG site, etc.?

Edit: nevermind, got my answers. link (http://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?p=629521#post629521)

OSCORP
11-15-2007, 08:31 PM
Cool!I still have not seen OOTP yet.(waiting for the DVD)

abstractharmony
11-16-2007, 09:43 AM
OOTP is my favourite book of the series but I felt that the film didn't even work as film unless you had read the book.

That being said, it only need another 30 mins to make the film a masterpiece (mainly Sirius/Harry moments).

I didn't see the emotional weight in the movie to the battles in the Ministry.

pixletwin
11-16-2007, 09:50 AM
I have liked all the movies so far. Can't say I hated any one of them... But really I would say OOTP is my favorite so far.

For the books, Book 7 is my fave.

Calle_Sandell
11-16-2007, 09:57 AM
I think that the books are absolutley amazing! All of them!

But the movies stinks, I feel that I've said it a million times before so I won't bother you and tell why...

And now this? New quiditch outfits? But why??? And that butt-ugly helmets is really aweful!

The movies are really going down hill IMO, The first two were OK, and then the changed the directors etc. and from there they produced one film more horrible then the other!:monkey4

carbo-fation
11-16-2007, 09:59 AM
I am really excited about this movie since this'll be my first movie after a reading the books. I finished the last book this past week. I very much enjoyed each and everyone of them but for some reason, Order of the Phoenix was both my least favorite book and movie. I just thought that the story progressed way too slow considering it was the largest book. And yes, Quidditch is essential to this movie, just as much as it should have been for the last one.

Darth Caedus
11-16-2007, 10:18 AM
I am really excited about this movie since this'll be my first movie after a reading the books. I finished the last book this past week. I very much enjoyed each and everyone of them but for some reason, Order of the Phoenix was both my least favorite book and movie. I just thought that the story progressed way too slow considering it was the largest book. And yes, Quidditch is essential to this movie, just as much as it should have been for the last one.

I can agree that OoTP book was a littl tedious. I just wanted to smack Harry while reading the book. But it is also one of my favorites. The story really started to progress in GoF, but in OoTP, you realized that people would be dying and that the books really started to get darker.

OSCORP
11-16-2007, 10:31 AM
How would you guys rank movie 5 along with the others i have not seen it yet?

pixletwin
11-16-2007, 10:40 AM
How would you guys rank movie 5 along with the others i have not seen it yet?

The only thing I didn't like about OotP was the stories pacing... at times it seemed to go too slow and at others like it didn't spend enough time.

I would rank the movies like this:

5. Chamber of Secrets
4. Sorcerer's Stone
3. Prison of Azkaban
2. Goblet of Fire
1. Order of the Phoenix

OSCORP
11-16-2007, 10:46 AM
THX
so far it's like this for me.

1.SS
2.COS
3.GOF
4.POA

5..PENDING

carbo-fation
11-16-2007, 10:51 AM
For me it's like this:

1. GoF
2. CoS
3. SS (along with CoS, this movie follows the book the closest)
4. PoA
5. OotP

Darth Loki
11-16-2007, 10:59 AM
I love all of these movies (please don't ask me to rank them). The books are infinately better though. I had never read the books until this summer so this new movie will be the first I've seen that I know what's gonna happen. We'll see how I react now that I already know what is gonna happen. Even so, is there anyone who isn't eagerly anticipating those last few scenes from this book?

Darklord Dave
11-16-2007, 11:06 AM
1. PoA
2. GoF
3. OoP
4. CoS
1. SS

I agree that the movies are more a supplement to the books rather than something that can stand on their own. I don't know that I'd have liked ANY of the movies without reading the books first.

Jen
11-16-2007, 11:06 AM
For me:
1. OotP
2. PoA
3. SS
4. GoF
5. CoS

I loved OotP and PoA because they were so dark, which I feel suits these books well. I have read all the books, several times, and therefore had no problem keeping along with the movies...but I could see where those who have not might get a bit lost or confused. I also wish that OotP was a bit longer...there was so much that could have been included...but was still satisfied with the final product and as soon as it was over I wanted to see it again. Ended up seeing it 3 times in theaters...2 at Imax in 3-D and once at a regular theater. They are amazing books and wonderful movies. I am very excited for the next to come out.
Now, an extended box set version would be marvelous!!! Look how much LOTR made with the different versions they put out on DVD. I would most definitely buy any extended version that they offered for the HP movies.

Darth Caedus
11-16-2007, 11:07 AM
Books: ( I love all the books, just a couple of little more than others)
1. POA
2. HBP
3. GOF
4. DH
5. SS
6. OoTP
7. COS

Movies:
1. POA
2. SS
3. GOF
4. OoTP/COS Don't know who's last

carbo-fation
11-16-2007, 11:07 AM
The books are infinately better though. I had never read the books until this summer so this new movie will be the first I've seen that I know what's gonna happen. We'll see how I react now that I already know what is gonna happen. Even so, is there anyone who isn't eagerly anticipating those last few scenes from this book?
That's exactly how I feel. I didn't start reading the books until the middle of last month and this movie will be the first one that I already know what happened. I really hope they don't make this one as short as the last one.

sueworld
11-16-2007, 11:09 AM
Well I'm probably biased as I worked on two of them, but I think all the films have their merits, just in different ways.

I agree though, I liked the darker feel to Azkaban, and Goblet had some truly beautiful effects work done on it.

Darth Caedus
11-16-2007, 11:13 AM
Well I'm probably biased as I worked on two of them, but I think all the films have their merits, just in different ways.

I agree though, I liked the darker feel to Azkaban, and Goblet had some truly beautiful effects work done on it.

Well, the first two movies were the loyalist to the books. But they felt almost like a stage play. Great sets and then everybody acted it out. It didn't feel like a MOVIE, if that makes any sense. Don't know if that was because of hte child actors or not. Even though I think that Watson's best performance was in SS; ever since then, we get the crazy moving eyebrows.... Cuaron brought little differences betwen the books/movies, different angles, more on an interactive feel to the film. But with PoA my favorite book, I do wish it was a little longer, but I digress.

Jen
11-16-2007, 11:14 AM
Even so, is there anyone who isn't eagerly anticipating those last few scenes from this book?

I don't know if I would say I'm eagerly anticipating them. :lol :lol I'm a total sap when it comes to stuff like this, so I'll have to remember to bring a BIG box of Kleenex with me to the movie. :monkey2

Rogue Trooper
11-16-2007, 11:16 AM
I think it good we see quidditch again before the movie are complete, hope it's looks like it did in what little there was in PoA, with ron getting some action.

PoA was the best by far it had a really cool look to it (a strange scotland in the winter clouds), PS because it feels like christmas when i watch it, then the rest equally.

Anybody see that RK made 7 Bettle of the Bard books for charity, all hand written by her.

Here http://www.mugglenet.com/, scroll down you can see which kids are being tom riddle and lavender brown.

pixletwin
11-16-2007, 11:18 AM
I know I can't wait for the last few scenes. :monkey2:monkey2:monkey2

I REALLY REALLY can't wait for the Forbidden Forest scene in Deathly Hallows though... :rock :rock :rock

Rogue Trooper
11-16-2007, 11:19 AM
[QUOTE=sueworld;630213]Well I'm probably biased as I worked on two of them, but I think all the films have their merits, just in different ways.
QUOTE]

Which ones did you work and what you do there, always thought it would be great to work on any movie, alot of kid from around my area are extras.

Jen
11-16-2007, 11:35 AM
I REALLY REALLY can't wait for the Forbidden Forest scene in Deathly Hallows though... :rock :rock :rock

That was such an awesome scene in the book....can't wait to see that either. :rock One thing that bummed me out was Snape (don't want to say much for those who have not read the book) but I was hoping for something more climatic for him. He was my favorite character in all of the books and I always knew it would end the way it did....but it just kinda seemed to fizzle out rather than a big bang moment.

sueworld
11-16-2007, 11:36 AM
[QUOTE=sueworld;630213]Well I'm probably biased as I worked on two of them, but I think all the films have their merits, just in different ways.
QUOTE]

Which ones did you work and what you do there, always thought it would be great to work on any movie, alot of kid from around my area are extras.

I worked on Azkaban and Goblet. I was one of Nick Dudmans creature shop crew.

You're near Leavsden then. *g* God it used to take me over two hours there and back to get there each day! I had to leave the house at 5.30 am. *sigh* and often wasn't back till nine at night.

The most enjoyable job I was involved in was painting all of the silicone flipper feet for Harry and his stunt double for the underwater sequences, and working on the Werewolf suit, that in the end hardly got used.

The tank they filmed in was fantastic! Warm, huge, and very, very scary. I often used to watch them film, and I don't know how the kids put up with it. They were often down there for ages on end.

UTtoyfan
11-16-2007, 02:03 PM
Comingsoon.net has a report that says they have completed casting!

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=39388

pixletwin
11-16-2007, 02:11 PM
I wanna see pics of the two new actors they have playing Riddle. I wonder how close they resemble the guy who played Riddle in CoS?

Wetanut
11-16-2007, 02:39 PM
1. Deathly Hallows - pulled it all together, except for a backstory on McGonagall :(
2. Order of the Phoenix - liked that everything that had been set up prior was coming together. Also showed that the kids were beginning to start taking active interest outside of their heretofore snug little world and beginning to take action. Those who were "outsiders" (Luna, Neville) becoming more assertive and gaining their peers' respect. Also was the REAL beginning IMO of the start of the set up for the final book.
3. Sorcerer's Stone - the one that begun it all...the one that captured me for the long haul
4. Prisoner of Azkahban - began the intrusion of the world into the comfort of Hogwarts and expanded the kids' world of reference
5. Goblet of Fire - yet another "Harry has an adventure and is the hero" book, but the twist that elevated it was the Diggory part
6. Half-Blood Prince - LOVED the Snape focus, but was left wanting a bit
7. Chamber of Secrets - "Harry has an adventure and is the hero" (was afraid Rowling just might fall into the dread Hardy Boys syndrome)

Movies: not really fair to rank them yet until they all come out. But, so far, SS ranks above others, if nothing else for the fact that it introduces us to the world as well as establishing the foundation for all the others.

KitFisto
11-16-2007, 08:09 PM
That was such an awesome scene in the book....can't wait to see that either. :rock One thing that bummed me out was Snape (don't want to say much for those who have not read the book) but I was hoping for something more climatic for him. He was my favorite character in all of the books and I always knew it would end the way it did....but it just kinda seemed to fizzle out rather than a big bang moment.

Agreed on the "how"....we all knew, but still...could have been WAY more intesting than it was.

KitFisto
11-16-2007, 08:11 PM
Movies

1. POA
2. GOF
3. OOTF
4. SS
5. COS

The Mike
11-16-2007, 09:44 PM
I notice there is no mention of who is playing Rufus Scrimgeour.....I always envisioned Bill Nighy in that role. Also I'm a little disappointed in the casting of Slughorn. I really hoped that the rumors that Bob Hoskins was playing him were true, he definitely fits the part IMHO.

Darth Caedus
11-17-2007, 01:05 AM
I wanna see pics of the two new actors they have playing Riddle. I wonder how close they resemble the guy who played Riddle in CoS?

Yea, I would have LOVED if they could get Christian Coulson back to play Riddle. He was great in CoS.

lerath666
11-17-2007, 08:30 AM
Books six and seven are my favorites. I really hope they do them justice in movie format. I agree, I do wis there was more information on Mgonigal's history, but atlest she elaborated more on Dumbledore recently :) I really hope she chooses to write more in the same world. not nessacarily more on Harry, but books on Grindenwald and dumbledore( which might be a little hard considering recent relevations and other things, but then again books about a gay mage did quite well from Mercedies lackey in the form of the Last Herald-Mage cycle), or perhaps farther back on the founding of the school could be good fiction :)

Agent0028
11-17-2007, 08:34 AM
I think we'll get more info on McGonagal when the encyclopedia comes out.

Darth Caedus
11-19-2007, 05:32 PM
I think we'll get more info on McGonagal when the encyclopedia comes out.

I remember reading TONS that she said was going to be included in the books that weren't. Probably got edited out to same length. Even though, this series is one that I wouldn't have minded a couple hundred more pages per book.

The Mike
11-19-2007, 05:36 PM
Despite how you rank the books and/or the movies the fact still remains that I can't believe that no high end 1/6 company has created figures from this line yet. I'm starting to fear that the reason we haven't seen anything from Hot Toys, MediCom, Sideshow or even DC Direct (remember WB is the parent company) is because Gentle Giant will end up producing them and it'll be more of the same that's already been done....

pixletwin
11-19-2007, 05:55 PM
Despite how you rank the books and/or the movies the fact still remains that I can't believe that no high end 1/6 company has created figures from this line yet. I'm starting to fear that the reason we haven't seen anything from Hot Toys, MediCom, Sideshow or even DC Direct (remember WB is the parent company) is because Gentle Giant will end up producing them and it'll be more of the same that's already been done....

Amen to that. I would love to pick up a HP 1:6 line. :monkey2

carbo-fation
11-19-2007, 06:30 PM
...I can't believe that no high end 1/6 company has created figures from this line yet. ....

Tonner made some wonderful, high-end, 1/6 Harry Potter figures.:monkey3:D

Darth Caedus
11-19-2007, 08:52 PM

:monkey1:monkey1:monkey1:monkey1 Good costumes though

Agent0028
11-19-2007, 09:35 PM
I remember reading TONS that she said was going to be included in the books that weren't. Probably got edited out to same length. Even though, this series is one that I wouldn't have minded a couple hundred more pages per book.
I agree, it's time for extended editions of Harry Potter. I guess all that extra stuff that got edited out will be in the encyclopedia. Truthfully though, I'm not very excited about that I would much rather the information be in story format.

Darth Caedus
11-19-2007, 09:41 PM
I agree, it's time for extended editions of Harry Potter. I guess all that extra stuff that got edited out will be in the encyclopedia. Truthfully though, I'm not very excited about that I would much rather the information be in story format.

Yea, I want to buy the encyclopedias that are already in the market. Anybody got links to that? I think one is a quiddich book, etc...

The Mike
11-20-2007, 10:30 AM

Tonner figures are 1/4 and they are actually well done. Say what you will about Tonner they really have done well in their HP line.

carbo-fation
11-20-2007, 03:59 PM
I didn't think Tonner HP were 1/4. Oh well......at least some other company can make 1/6 figs that actually look like them.

IronFingaz
06-06-2008, 11:40 AM
Bump :D

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg88/IronFingaz_13/trioweasleyroom.jpg

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg88/IronFingaz_13/triocommonroom.jpg

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg88/IronFingaz_13/harrydrawer.jpg

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg88/IronFingaz_13/snapedraco.jpg

Darth Loki
06-06-2008, 11:48 AM
Great bump Anders. God I can't f'n wait for this movie :rock:rock:rock

pixletwin
06-06-2008, 11:49 AM
Me too :rock :rock :rock

The Mike
06-06-2008, 11:54 AM
I find it interesting that Ralph Fiennes is not listed in the cast list for the Half-Blood Prince....even though he isn't shown in the Voldemort through the book, there are scenes with Adult Tom Riddle.....

pixletwin
06-06-2008, 12:00 PM
It doesn't bother me too much.. When do we see him as an adult in HBP (pre-snake face).

Darth Loki
06-06-2008, 12:01 PM
It doesn't bother me too much.. When do we see him as an adult in HBP (pre-snake face).

That's what I was thinking as well. Like when he's trying to get all things to become Horcruxes.

The Mike
06-06-2008, 12:08 PM
There are seriously vital scenes. Dependent on age I guess they could have the guy played teenage Tom do it but you'd think that it'd naturally head to Ralph.

Darth Loki
06-06-2008, 12:09 PM
Anyone know if they got the guy that played Tom in Chamber of Secrets to come back for this?

pixletwin
06-06-2008, 12:10 PM
Isn't the kid who plays the young boy Voldemort (when Dumbledore takes Tom from the orphange) related somehow to Fiennes?

The Mike
06-06-2008, 12:11 PM
Anyone know if they got the guy that played Tom in Chamber of Secrets to come back for this?

They didn't. They recasted him.

Isn't the kid who plays the young boy Voldemort (when Dumbledore takes Tom from the orphange) related somehow to Fiennes?

Its his nephew.

ProgMatinee
06-06-2008, 12:22 PM
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg88/IronFingaz_13/snapedraco.jpg

Love the sinister nature of Malfoy's look in this shot. Very sleek, high shoulders, almost Nazi-ish.

Anyone else see that one of the cast members was killed in a fight a feww weeks back?

IronFingaz
06-06-2008, 12:28 PM
Love the sinister nature of Malfoy's look in this shot. Very sleek, high shoulders, almost Nazi-ish.

Anyone else see that one of the cast members was killed in a fight a feww weeks back?

Yup, got stabbed while out clubbin'. Robert Knox is playing Marcus Belby (can't remember who he is).

ProgMatinee
06-06-2008, 12:30 PM
Yeah, can't remember that character either.

Really a shame that a young person doesn't live to see himself in a highprofile movie like that.

IronFingaz
06-06-2008, 12:35 PM
Yeah, can't remember that character either.

Really a shame that a young person doesn't live to see himself in a highprofile movie like that.

Yeah, and it was his first role.

Darth Caedus
06-06-2008, 12:43 PM
That's what I was thinking as well. Like when he's trying to get all things to become Horcruxes.

Also when he applys for the job at hogwarts in order to place a horcrux there, but I doubt that scene will be in the film.

Really wish they could have gotten Christian Coulsen back as Tom Riddle, he did a great job in CoS.

Darth Caedus
06-06-2008, 12:44 PM

Yup, got stabbed while out clubbin'. Robert Knox is playing Marcus Belby (can't remember who he is).

It was Knox that was stabbed to death just recently right?

ProgMatinee
06-06-2008, 12:52 PM
http://au.news.yahoo.com/080524/2/16zvr.htmlhttp://au.news.yahoo.com/080524/2/16zvr.html

Darth Waller
06-06-2008, 01:00 PM
This is one of my most anticipated movies this year. :rock

IronFingaz
06-06-2008, 01:00 PM
It was Knox that was stabbed to death just recently right?

That's what i wrote! Robert Knox. I'm starting to see why your seeing The Zohan tonight :lol

lerath666
06-06-2008, 01:12 PM
just figured I'd correct an earlier comment. there are THREE more films including this one. Seems they're planning on splitting Deathly Hallows into two films.

Agent0028
06-06-2008, 04:25 PM
I thought this one was being split as well?

pixletwin
06-06-2008, 04:29 PM
Nope. Just Deathly Hallows.

Agent0028
06-06-2008, 04:39 PM
Hmph, glad I got that cleared up before I made a fool of myself. Is this coming out this fall?

IronFingaz
06-06-2008, 04:51 PM
Hmph, glad I got that cleared up before I made a fool of myself. Is this coming out this fall?

...Half Blood Prince comes out Nov. 21st.

...The Deathly Hallows Part I comes out Nov. 2010, with Part II coming May 2011, i believe.
The gap between Prince and Hallows Part I is gonna suck big time!!:emperor

lerath666
06-06-2008, 05:50 PM
it will, but there is SOOO much that's important that happens in book seven, I'm glad they're doing 3 films to cover all of it.

blue_rogue
06-06-2008, 06:21 PM
I agree that the movies are more a supplement to the books rather than something that can stand on their own. I don't know that I'd have liked ANY of the movies without reading the books first.

I can vouch for that statement. I saw the first movie when it was in theaters and thought it was boring. After the second movie came out, I read a review in which the reviewer thought the first movie was boring but enjoyed the second movie much more. So I rented the 2nd movie when it came out on DVD and I didn't really like it any better than the 1st. I didn't bother seeing the other movies.

Then, towards the end of February last year, with book 7 just months away, I decided to give the books a try. I ordered book 1 from amazon.com and finished it quicker than I had expected. I really enjoyed it so I ordered books 2-4 and, eventually, 5 and 6. After finishing the books I went back and watched the movies. I actually enjoy the movies now, but not nearly as much as I enjoyed reading the books.

I'm really looking forward to seeing HBP when it comes out. When the heck are we going to see a trailer for the movie. :monkey2

stshammgod
06-06-2008, 06:41 PM
Did Alan Rickman put on some pounds there? Usually Snape is pretty gaunt.

IronFingaz
06-07-2008, 05:48 AM
I'm curious to see how long the movie will be. I hope it will be 135-145 min.

YoNoSe
06-07-2008, 06:57 AM
I wish they weren't splitting DH into two movies. The biggest problem with the first two movies was their slavishness to the books. The longest book (and arguably least successful) was OOTP, which became the shortest movie. The movie is great, the book is a chore.
Plus, DH is like 60% camping. If LOTR taught us anything, it's to cut out as much camping as possible.

lerath666
06-09-2008, 10:47 PM
I wish they weren't splitting DH into two movies. The biggest problem with the first two movies was their slavishness to the books. The longest book (and arguably least successful) was OOTP, which became the shortest movie. The movie is great, the book is a chore.
Plus, DH is like 60% camping. If LOTR taught us anything, it's to cut out as much camping as possible.

BLASPHEMY! I thought the first two films were the BEST ones for that exact reason.

Buttmunch
06-09-2008, 10:56 PM
Did Alan Rickman put on some pounds there? Usually Snape is pretty gaunt.

I've too have noticed that Snape has gotten steadily chunkier since the first film.

NASEDO
06-10-2008, 07:51 AM
I'm curious to see how long the movie will be. I hope it will be 135-145 min.

I hope its longer then OOTP, they chopped that movie up too much. They should atleast put out a extended edition like LOTR.

Nitro
06-10-2008, 07:55 AM
I don't care what they do...I like all of the Potter films, so anything they do (that remains consistent) is all good in my book. Just don't like seeing new actors take roles that we are used to seeing. I couldn't imagine anybody else playing Harry, Ron, or Hermoine.

IronFingaz
07-04-2008, 08:41 AM
This months Empire Magazine...

http://www.empireonline.com/magazine/interactive.asp

New pic and small interview with Radcliff and Yates...

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=22861

dunedain
07-18-2008, 03:01 PM
IMAX Half-Blood Prince teaser Youtube! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9Az919nQjI)

And new picture of Harry and Slughorn.
http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/8859/hp6d082631sb2.jpg

pixletwin
07-18-2008, 03:10 PM
Wow... um.. that was really short. :lol

galactiboy
07-18-2008, 03:23 PM
Really looking forward to this movie, its my favorite book out of the series so I'm really hoping they don't f it up :lol

tomandshell
07-18-2008, 03:29 PM
Wow... um.. that was really short. :lol

http://www.gregandselena.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/michael_scott.jpg

"That's what she said."

pixletwin
07-18-2008, 03:31 PM
:lecture :lecture :lecture

Buttmunch
07-18-2008, 03:32 PM
I saw this last night at the IMAX Dark Knight. Most teasery teaser trailer EVER!

The Josh
07-18-2008, 03:32 PM
Very much looking forward to seeing this on the big screen.

dunedain
07-18-2008, 03:34 PM
The first time I watched it my sound was off. So I thought Youtube had broken down. Man how short can a teaser be?:monkey1

pixletwin
07-18-2008, 03:37 PM
Apprently 13 seconds. :lecture

dunedain
07-18-2008, 03:40 PM
Apprently 13 seconds. :lecture
Should we call guinness? They may have set a record here...

tomandshell
07-18-2008, 03:53 PM
If this trailer was a date, I would dump her on the curb.

IronFingaz
07-18-2008, 03:55 PM
VERY short but havnt they done that with all the Harry potter movies?

The Ringer
07-18-2008, 04:01 PM
Everyone was B^^^^^^g when it went flashed in and out at the theatre.:rotfl

The Mike
07-18-2008, 04:06 PM
VERY short but havnt they done that with all the Harry potter movies?

Yup, remember for GOF it was just a "4" on Harry's back.

Some Images. Some may be in the thread already. Really don't give enough of a ^^^^ to check.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b44/kryptonianmike/Slug.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b44/kryptonianmike/Harry.jpg

Darth Caedus
07-18-2008, 04:56 PM
IMAX Half-Blood Prince teaser Youtube! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9Az919nQjI)

You bloody little tease, got me all excited.............:emperor:emperor:rotfl

Darth Waller
07-18-2008, 06:58 PM
http://minimateheadquarters.com/fujis/ComicBookGuy.jpg

Worst. Teaser. Ever.

tomandshell
07-18-2008, 06:59 PM
Oh, come on, it wasn't that bad--now we know what the title is!

Darth Waller
07-18-2008, 07:00 PM
Oh, come on, it wasn't that bad--now we know what the title is!

:lol :rotfl :lol

Darklord Dave
07-18-2008, 08:23 PM
See, that's what a teaser trailer is supposed to be - none of this Watchmen crap with actually showing the characters, key scenes and cool effects. Good job Warners you sure know how to do a trailer...
wait, they're from the same studio?

Agent0028
07-18-2008, 08:35 PM
Excellent teaser, it really does only tease you.

UTtoyfan
07-18-2008, 10:40 PM
I saw this last night at the IMAX Dark Knight. Most teasery teaser trailer EVER!

Haha, the manager that was speaking to us before the movie started said that there would be two previews. The Watchman trailer, and 7 seconds of Harry Potter. Boy was he right!:rotfl

wofford29
07-18-2008, 10:58 PM
Quick question to you Potter fans. I just caught my first Potter movie on HBO the other night. I think it was the last one that came out, can't remember the name. Is this a series that you really need to watch from the beginning to enjoy? Or was the last one a weak installment, because I didn't enjoy it. Is this a thing you kind of grow attached to the characters from the first movie on?

Darklord Dave
07-18-2008, 11:44 PM
Yes, you definitely need to see it from the beginning. The characters and their relationships are just as important as the magical environment.

One and two are probably the weakest in the series, 3 is the favorite of many people and 4 and 5 really start upping the jeopardy for the characters. However, you really need the backstory of 1 and 2 to fully appreciate the others.

Entropy
07-18-2008, 11:47 PM
Quick question to you Potter fans. I just caught my first Potter movie on HBO the other night. I think it was the last one that came out, can't remember the name. Is this a series that you really need to watch from the beginning to enjoy? Or was the last one a weak installment, because I didn't enjoy it. Is this a thing you kind of grow attached to the characters from the first movie on?

The last one, Order of the Phoenix was pretty weak IMO. I only enjoyed bits and thought it was poorly written and the directing was even worse.

Good news is that the next book is much better than OotP, Steve Kloves is back to write the screen play (OotP is the only one he hasn't written), but bad news is that sadly David Yates returns to poorly direct this next one as well as the last film. :rolleyes:

Watching from the start of the series will help the enjoyment I think, but isn't necessarily required. See the 3rd one, Prisoner of Azkaban. Much better than OotP and my favorite of the films so far.

Sachiel
07-18-2008, 11:47 PM
I would say yes. Since it's really a continuing story, it would make sense to watch from the start.

It wasn't really the weakest, but after reading the books, there was just so much left out. So that kind of affects it for me.

Darth Caedus
07-19-2008, 02:34 AM

:read:read:read:read :rotfl:rotfl

Regardless of what people might say, the books aren't only meant for children. I read the first and was hooked and real the remaining 3 books in a week (at that time only 1-4 were released). Adults can get into them and quite enjoy them. They're easy reads and go by fast.

UTtoyfan
07-19-2008, 06:21 AM
:read:read:read:read :rotfl:rotfl

Regardless of what people might say, the books aren't only meant for children. I read the first and was hooked and real the remaining 3 books in a week (at that time only 1-4 were released). Adults can get into them and quite enjoy them. They're easy reads and go by fast.

This is so true. These Harry Potter books were like literary crack to me!! After reading the first 4(I got into it after Goblet was released) I bought 5, 6, and 7 on their release dates and finished each book in a day and a half. I've never done that with any other novel series.
Well, I can read a Dr. Seuss book in less than a day now:monkey5:lol

Darth Waller
07-19-2008, 07:17 AM
Definitely read the books. I have read through them a couple times and will do so again. They are that good.

Agent0028
07-19-2008, 07:56 AM
Yes, yes, to Caedus and the others you must listen! The books will make the movie better because you'll know more about what is going on. Plus the book is always better than the movie.

Giant Chicken
07-19-2008, 09:33 AM
The trailer was stupid... I do agree that it was probably the true definition of a teaser trailer and that Watchmen WAS NOT a teaser.

Can't wait to see the film though. very good book.

Darth Caedus
07-19-2008, 10:39 AM
On another note, I enjoyed how with each book, they get darker and darker; Rowling doesn't take her audience for granted. As Harry grows up, the stories get more realistic. I only wish that there were more books to go :monkey2:monkey2 Can't wait for this movie.

BTW: This has probably already been answered, but does anybody know why Christian Coulson, who played riddle in chamber of secrets, isn't playing voldemort in the memories????

carbo-fation
07-19-2008, 10:42 AM
:lol

Great teaser.

Darth Loki
07-19-2008, 07:04 PM
Holy ^^^^ing ^^^^!
Holy ^^^^ing ^^^^!
Holy ^^^^ing ^^^^!

This movie can't get here soon enough

CelticPredator
07-19-2008, 10:06 PM
Am I the only one who likes the first 2 better then the later ones? I sorta stopped caring after the 4th...I liked the cutisy wootsy vibe better then the angsty teen vibe.

tomandshell
07-19-2008, 10:55 PM
BTW: This has probably already been answered, but does anybody know why Christian Coulson, who played riddle in chamber of secrets, isn't playing voldemort in the memories????

I would assume that it's just his age--he is almost 30 and the scenes in the new film portray Riddle at 11 and 16, I believe. So they recast him with two age appropriate younger actors.

(Although the cast of High School Musical will certainly be playing young teenagers well into their 40's.)

Darth Caedus
07-19-2008, 11:18 PM
I would assume that it's just his age--he is almost 30 and the scenes in the new film portray Riddle at 11 and 16, I believe. So they recast him with two age appropriate younger actors.

(Although the cast of High School Musical will certainly be playing young teenagers well into their 40's.)

AHHH, so they are not using the voldemort memories of him being older, but those of him being younger.

tomandshell
07-29-2008, 10:59 AM
A proper trailer for film six hits tonight at 6 PM PST courtesy of AOL.

Darth Loki
07-29-2008, 11:04 AM
A proper trailer for film six hits tonight at 6 PM PST courtesy of AOL.

:rock:rock:rock:rock

I hope I'm still awake :o

pixletwin
07-29-2008, 11:05 AM
Thats awesome news!!! :rock

tomandshell
07-29-2008, 11:05 AM
I hope it's at least twice as long as the IMAX trailer.

Darth Waller
07-29-2008, 11:19 AM
Looking forward to it! :rock

If I don't forget. :monkey3

Agent0028
07-29-2008, 04:52 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the heads up!

tomandshell
07-29-2008, 04:52 PM
Dumbledore fights zombies in a lake of fire. The End!!

Bannister
07-29-2008, 04:53 PM
I hope it's at least twice as long as the IMAX trailer.

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

wofford29
07-29-2008, 06:12 PM
http://video.msn.com/?mkt=en-gb&vid=bc682eef-e76b-467a-9684-2ffebc997b91&playlist=videoByUuids:uuids:559dc068-6410-4b44-b816-14f629c281dd%2C986e16ee-2961-4c52-a01c-90794bcf7ec3%2C3e1ccfe0-654d-4c6f-9b72-3835db18eb77&from=ENGB_msnvideo&tab=s1204298895071&from=homepage_carousel

King Darkness
07-29-2008, 06:16 PM
Looks great!!

Darth Loki
07-29-2008, 06:17 PM
^^^^ YES :rock:rock:rock:rock:rock

carbo-fation
07-29-2008, 06:21 PM
Very nice!:D

Agent0028
07-29-2008, 06:30 PM
Can't wait!

Darth Loki
07-29-2008, 06:31 PM
When can I buy tickets to the midnight show :banana:banana:banana

UTtoyfan
07-29-2008, 06:35 PM
Voldemort!!! :)

Darth Waller
07-29-2008, 06:37 PM
Awesome! :rock

tomandshell
07-29-2008, 06:39 PM
Stupendous!!

KitFisto
07-29-2008, 06:40 PM
Man I can't wait for this film!!!!!

The Josh
07-29-2008, 06:41 PM
New trailer rocks! This should be quite the film.

Entropy
07-29-2008, 06:45 PM
Looks cool, but I hear they've already cut some of my favorite bits.

And I don't like the flash frame stuff David Yates does.

YoNoSe
07-29-2008, 06:50 PM
Pretty ballsy having most of the trailer rest on a child actor (not that they need to sell us Potter anymore). And barely any Potter in the whole thing.
Worked beautifully for me, but I wonder how it plays to those who haven't read the books...are there still such people?:D
I heart Yates. But Deathly Hallows should be one movie. Cut out the damn camping.

Agent0028
07-29-2008, 06:53 PM
Voldemort!!! :)

SHH!!! He'll hear!

Pretty ballsy having most of the trailer rest on a child actor (not that they need to sell us Potter anymore). And barely any Potter in the whole thing.
Worked beautifully for me, but I wonder how it plays to those who haven't read the books...are there still such people?:D
I heart Yates. But Deathly Hallows should be one movie. Cut out the damn camping.

Unfortunately.

YoNoSe
07-29-2008, 06:57 PM
SHH!!! He'll hear!

Unfortunately.

There's probably a NASCAR board somewhere where they're saying the same thing about me. :lol

BadMoon
07-29-2008, 06:57 PM
I can't wait! :rock

tomandshell
07-29-2008, 07:09 PM
My memory of the book is of very little main plot with the usual characters--just Harry, Dumbledore and a massive amount of backstory about Voldemort. The trailer seems to fit that pretty well. Tons of information, an exciting and emotional climax, and then you hit the ground running straight into the conclusion in part seven.

Buttmunch
07-29-2008, 07:29 PM
Trailer looks very promising. Ganda... I mean Dumbledore doesn't seem to be wearing his glasses and therefore looking more like Gandalf... AGAIN!

Even having read the book, I can't pinpoint the part in the story in Tom's new sig.

Is Ralph Finnes going to even be in this though? Voldemort as a "live" character wasn't and that always bugged me. I know he could be in some of the memories, but still.

KAOSINLA
07-29-2008, 07:35 PM
Even having read the book, I can't pinpoint the part in the story in Tom's new sig.

I think it's when Dumbledore is repelling the Inferi with fire while trying to retrieve the Horcrux.

UTtoyfan
07-29-2008, 07:39 PM
Trailer looks very promising. Ganda... I mean Dumbledore doesn't seem to be wearing his glasses and therefore looking more like Gandalf... AGAIN!

Is Ralph Finnes going to even be in this though? Voldemort as a "live" character wasn't and that always bugged me. I know he could be in some of the memories, but still.

I didn't see Ralph Fiennes in the IMDB credits, but I just found out that the boy playing young Tom Riddle in the trailer is Ralph Fiennes's nephew!! :horror

tomandshell
07-29-2008, 09:08 PM
Looks like something out of The Ten Commandments:

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/4900/dumbledoreaj6.jpg

pixletwin
07-29-2008, 09:26 PM
Thats great Tom. Do you have anymore screen shots? :D

Darklord Dave
07-29-2008, 09:36 PM
I'm worried about Gambon, he's going to have to really deliver on Dumbledore in this one, and he hasn't really done so in the other films.

tomandshell
07-29-2008, 09:39 PM
http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/408/voldemortkw9.jpg

tomandshell
07-29-2008, 09:42 PM
http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/8131/ronat8.jpg

pixletwin
07-29-2008, 09:43 PM
Love it. :rock

Per Gambon, I have enjoyed his Dumbledore. The only thing I haven't liked about it is how robust he portrays dumbledore... as opposed to original actor who seemed so weak and frail.

tomandshell
07-29-2008, 09:44 PM
http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/5840/voldyzu6.jpg

tomandshell
07-29-2008, 09:46 PM
http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/5912/albuslu6.jpg

tomandshell
07-29-2008, 09:47 PM
http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/3527/horcruxpi8.jpg

tomandshell
07-29-2008, 09:49 PM
http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/4269/ginnygt9.jpg

tomandshell
07-29-2008, 09:50 PM
Dark, dark, dark. There's a lot of black in these shots and not much color to speak of.

Things are getting bleak for Harry & Co...

pixletwin
07-29-2008, 09:52 PM
Ooo.. I didn't even notice D trying on the ring.

tomandshell
07-29-2008, 09:59 PM
http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/986/harryah8.jpg

tomandshell
07-29-2008, 10:00 PM
http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/1572/expressaa1.jpg

tomandshell
07-29-2008, 10:05 PM
http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/5251/memoriesnj4.jpg

tomandshell
07-29-2008, 10:06 PM
http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/8574/reflectiontd7.jpg

IronFingaz
07-30-2008, 04:52 AM
http://video.msn.com/?mkt=en-gb&vid=bc682eef-e76b-467a-9684-2ffebc997b91&playlist=videoByUuids:uuids:559dc068-6410-4b44-b816-14f629c281dd%2C986e16ee-2961-4c52-a01c-90794bcf7ec3%2C3e1ccfe0-654d-4c6f-9b72-3835db18eb77&from=ENGB_msnvideo&tab=s1204298895071&from=homepage_carousel

:rock :rock :rock :rock :rock

AWESOME!!!!

tomandshell
07-30-2008, 01:10 PM
I'm worried about Gambon, he's going to have to really deliver on Dumbledore in this one, and he hasn't really done so in the other films.

Here's a bit from a Q&A I was reading, with a tiny quote from Gambon at the end:

Why was Dumbledore angry in the scene where Trelawney was sacked? He shouted, "Don't you have studying to do?!" at the students. Dumbledore is supposed to be a more quirky and benign character but is rather rough and unapproachable in the movie.

It should be noted that Dumbledore never says any such line during this scene in the book and it is rare for him to respond or speak with such bite to his students.

The impression that Dumbledore is angry (throughout the film and especially in that scene), can also be seen as a direct relation to the actor's understanding of the lines and the characters temperament towards others.

In an interview from right before the film premiered, Michael Gambon talks about his experience as a theatre actor and the fact that movies he has done have mostly been for money, not out of interest in the roles.

He also, in other interviews has mentioned that he has not read the books and sees no point in it, since he has the scripts. It seems reading the books would at least give him better insight into his characters development.

Following is an excerpt from the interview:

Q: What makes Dumbledore the greatest wizard of all time?

A: I have no idea. I just say what the script tells me to say. I learn the lines and say them I dont have much sub-text. Theres no sub-text in Harry Potter really, its all magic. Anything can happen.

Darth Loki
07-30-2008, 01:19 PM
I find that really surprising as I think he's done a great job as Dumbledore.

Richard Harris was perfect for the first two films where the character was light and playful. But starting with PoA, it started to get darker and I think Gambon stepped in perfectly. I love his emotion and the way he plays the character which I think he could do better than Harris who was great at the sentimental scenes (of which there are a lot in this movie). It will be interesting to see him in this movie as there are a lot of playful moments with Harry and how he delivers.

From the trailer that I've seen, this movie looks great and very true to the book (which I'm rereading right now). I'm sure there will be no Quiditch again to focus on the plot which I can live with. It'll be interesting to see how they handle thescene at the cave since that really isn't a horcrux but was put there by Serius' brother after he already took it

tomandshell
07-30-2008, 01:23 PM
Some people feel Gambon is too gruff, whereas Harris was kind and gentle and had that wise twinkle in his eye. I think that it would have been interesting to have that kind old grandfatherly figure go through the events of film six, but there's not much we can do with a dead actor. Gambon has been OK in my opinion, and seems less frail and elderly and better able to handle himself in physical scenes like those in films five and six. As the films themselves grow darker, the change in Dumbledores does kind of seem to fit right in.

Buttmunch
07-30-2008, 01:30 PM
Some people feel Gambon is too gruff, whereas Harris was kind and gentle and had that wise twinkle in his eye. I think that it would have been interesting to have that kind old grandfatherly figure go through the events of film six, but there's not much we can do with a dead actor. Gambon has been OK in my opinion, and seems less frail and elderly and better able to handle himself in physical scenes like those in films five and six. As the films themselves grow darker, the change in Dumbledores does kind of seem to fit right in.

I felt Harris was PERFECT. Gambon is horrible. That scene you quoted a few posts above shows just why. Why is his Dumbledore so angry? In Goblet of Fire after Harry's name comes out of the Goblet, he is yelling at Harry there too.

Harris would have played both of those scenes calmly and smoothly. I always felt his Dumbledore was always in control and one step ahead of everyone - just like in the books.

Gambon does look an aweful lot like McKellen as Gandalf when he isn't wearing his glasses. I thought your new sig was a sneak pic from the Hobbit at first!

Darth Loki
07-30-2008, 01:38 PM

I agree 100%

And Dumbledore was developed after Gandalf so it's kinda fitting that they have a similar look.

Jen
07-30-2008, 01:43 PM
I felt Harris was PERFECT. Gambon is horrible. That scene you quoted a few posts above shows just why. Why is his Dumbledore so angry? In Goblet of Fire after Harry's name comes out of the Goblet, he is yelling at Harry there too.

Harris would have played both of those scenes calmly and smoothly. I always felt his Dumbledore was always in control and one step ahead of everyone - just like in the books.

Gambon does look an aweful lot like McKellen as Gandalf when he isn't wearing his glasses. I thought your new sig was a sneak pic from the Hobbit at first!

So did I. :lol :lol
I haven't read the books in awhile, but I thought D. was angry when Harry's name was pulled out of the Goblet of Fire - to me it didn't seem off at all - just showed him in a state of panic and fear for Harry because he knew that there must be some evil doings going on. But I guess that was just me.....:lol

KAOSINLA
07-30-2008, 02:13 PM

I agree completely!!!

Gambon shows no wisdom nor leadership in his character as Headmaster. He rushes through his lines with hardly a smooth transition. In addition, his actions follow his words....He moves in scenes with the energetic nervousness of a Chihuahua. On the other hand, Harris spoke as though each word was calculated with meaning in every breath. His motions were a mirror image of his speaking, as though a reserve of power was at his disposal when needed. I seen him as the noble and superior adversary to Voldemort as the books described. Gambon doesn't seem to be a worthy adversary for a first year. Furthermore, I believe that Gambon's casting makes the omissions from the books that much more noticeable, since Harris could tell and develop the story without the audience actually seeing it.

Regarding the aforementioned seen, Gambon angrily grabs harry and pushes him back against the table. Is that a trait of wise wizard? It makes me laugh to think of Gandalf saying "Is it secret? Is it safe? and then proceeding to throw Frodo off a wall in Bag End in an uncontrolled panic.:lol

Agent0028
07-30-2008, 04:51 PM
So did I. :lol :lol
I haven't read the books in awhile, but I thought D. was angry when Harry's name was pulled out of the Goblet of Fire - to me it didn't seem off at all - just showed him in a state of panic and fear for Harry because he knew that there must be some evil doings going on. But I guess that was just me.....:lol

That was my take on it as well. Although I think Dumbledore had a right to be angry as well, if Harry broke rules like that he would deserve a butt chewing. For Dumbledore to be too calm would be like giving him a pass.

Buttmunch
07-30-2008, 05:11 PM
That was my take on it as well. Although I think Dumbledore had a right to be angry as well, if Harry broke rules like that he would deserve a butt chewing. For Dumbledore to be too calm would be like giving him a pass.

But the way Harris would have played it would have been more effective. Anthony Hopkins was creepy as Hannibal not because he was shouting, but because he was always calm and in control. I'm not saying Dumbledore should be creepy, but a calm and cool voice can be even worse than being yeld out. That just seem to show Dumbledore's disapointment in Harry better than yelling at him (I think the books even address this).

Agent0028
07-30-2008, 05:13 PM
Could be, it's been awhile since I read them. I still like the new guy though. I can't see the first one doing the stuff in this book. Plus the other guy was way to Merlin looking for my tastes.

YoNoSe
07-30-2008, 05:46 PM
I think Harris captured the "all knowing" vibe Dumbledore had when observed by a very young Harry. I was a little put off by his apparent frailty, but I would never have complained about him if he'd been fortunate enough to complete the series.
On the other hand, I really loved the shot of adrenaline and creativity the series got with Cuaron directing and I am a big fan of Gambon's Dumbledore.
Regarding GOF, I didn't mind the hysteria at Harry's name being in the goblet - I didn't think it was anger at Harry. I took it as D's horror at the implication of Harry being placed in the tournament - both for his safety, and what forces were engineering the situation.

KAOSINLA
07-30-2008, 07:31 PM
(I think the books even address this).

The book does. I don't interpret any anger here, only a calm deciphering and contemplation of the situation.

"It's no ones's fault buy Potter's, Karkaroff," said Sanpe softly. His black eyes were alight with malice. "Don't go blaming Dumbledore for Potter's determination to break rules. He has been crossing lines ever since he arrived here--"

"Thank you, Severus," said Dumbledore firmly, and Snape went quiet, though his eyes still glinted malevolently through his curtain of greasy black hair.

Professor Dumbledore was now looking down at Harry, who looked right back at him, trying to discern the expression of the eyes behind the half-moon spectacles.

"Did you put your name into the Goblet of Fire, Harry?" he asked calmly.

"No," said Harry. He was aware of everybody watching him closely. Snape made a soft noise of impatient disbelief in the shadows.

"Did you ask an older student to put it into the Goblet of Fire for you?" said Professor Dumbledore, ignoring Snape.

"No" said Harry vehemently.

"Ah, but of course 'e is lying!" cried Madame Maxime. Snape was now shaking his head, his lip curling.

"He could not have crossed the Age Line," said Professor McGonagall sharply. "I am sure we are all agreed on that--"

"Dumbly-dorr must 'ave made a mistake wiz ze line," said Madame Maxime, shrugging.

"It is possible, of course," said Dumbledore politely.

pixletwin
07-30-2008, 07:33 PM
I thought the movie version of that scene played out pretty close to the book.

Agent0028
07-30-2008, 07:39 PM
Okay, I was wrong, Dumbledore was calmer in the book. I think the movie scene played out okay though. For instance I really liked how Dumbledore grabbed Harry in the movie, to me it showed he was very concerned about the turn of events. Also in defense of the actor (and in light of him saying he doesn't read the books) could the way he is portraying Dumbledore be a result of the script writing and acting? I've never acted so I have no experience, but it would seem to me that the script writer would tell the actor whether he is angry and how to act and that the director would refine the broad directions in to more specific ones.

KAOSINLA
07-30-2008, 07:45 PM
I thought the movie version of that scene played out pretty close to the book.

Except for the psychotic charge, grabbing, pushing back, shaking, and yelling by Dumbledore.:lol

I may seem a little obsessed by this, but of all my grumblings w/ Gambon, this one scene was my biggest pet peeve so to say.

pixletwin
07-30-2008, 07:47 PM
Fair enough I still cringe at the scene in LOTR where Gandalf opens a can of woop ass on Denethor. So I feel your pain. :lol

KAOSINLA
07-30-2008, 07:53 PM
Also in defense of the actor (and in light of him saying he doesn't read the books) could the way he is portraying Dumbledore be a result of the script writing and acting? I've never acted so I have no experience, but it would seem to me that the script writer would tell the actor whether he is angry and how to act and that the director would refine the broad directions in to more specific ones.

You are correct and the Director would be the responsible party. In the filming of the LOTR, each actor/actress by their on accord carried a copy of the books w/ them at all times to better understand and master their character showing a true appreciation and love of the literary works. In fact, copies were everywhere during filming. In HP, it seems that this type of dedication is vacant and is tragically disappointing leading to many avoidable deviations.

Agent0028
07-30-2008, 07:56 PM
I guess that doesn't bother me too much since I read the book, I don't really need to see it exactly as it played out in the book. My imagination is better than anything Hollywood can do, so I don't really mind the slight departures. On the other hand my memory is horrible so I can't remember what is accurate to the book and what isn't.

KAOSINLA
07-30-2008, 07:56 PM
Fair enough I still cringe at the scene in LOTR where Gandalf opens a can of woop ass on Denethor. So I feel your pain. :lol

I got ya!!! Sometimes there's just that sticking point that makes you want to throw the book at the Directors and Actors/Actresses head.:banghead

tomandshell
07-30-2008, 08:00 PM
If Gambon has made it a point not to read the books, then he is just going by the script and taking his performance where he feels it should go. If his choices don't mesh with the character created by Rowling, then it's the job of the director to DIRECT him in a different... direction.

Even though I failed to see how Four Weddings and a Funeral had prepared Mike Newell to direct a Potter film, Goblet of Fire is still one of my two favorites of the series, and far better than Order of the Phoenix.

Considering that was pretty much David Yates' first feature length theatrical directing job, I didn't expect much from him in film five. I think that at this point the producers just want a marginally talented yes-man behind the camera who isn't going to impose too much of his own vision on things, and Yates gets the job done without trying to take things in a unique direction like Cuaron did with Azkaban. It's a shame that they couldn't hire someone with Peter Jackson's combination of respect for/dedication to the source material, combined with real vision and the ability to put a unique and personal stamp on the finished product while steering the actors in a perfect direction.

YoNoSe
07-30-2008, 08:08 PM
I embrace the changes. We're talking about radically different mediums. But I do get what you're saying, KAOSINLA. Personally, I thought Samwise was much less agitated in the book....just thinking aloud..."Mmm...more naked hoes...." PJ went a little Scorcese on that one...:D
I find the first Potter movie just passable and the second tedious because of the slavishness to the text (and CC's bland direction). But I have been called a blasphemer for saying that on these very boards. Oh well.
We've been joking that they were going to make Dumbledore flamboyantly gay from here onout in the movies. When Harry says in the Trailer "Did you know...then?" my fiancee goes (in Dumbledore voice) "That I was gay? Oh yeah, totally!"

KAOSINLA
07-30-2008, 08:12 PM
If Gambon has made it a point not to read the books, then he is just going by the script and taking his performance where he feels it should go. If his choices don't mesh with the character created by Rowling, then it's the job of the director to DIRECT him in a different... direction.

Even though I failed to see how Four Weddings and a Funeral had prepared Mike Newell to direct a Potter film, Goblet of Fire is still one of my two favorites of the series, and far better than Order of the Phoenix.

Considering that was pretty much David Yates' first feature length theatrical directing job, I didn't expect much from him in film five. I think that at this point the producers just want a marginally talented yes-man behind the camera who isn't going to impose too much of his own vision on things, and Yates gets the job done without trying to take things in a unique direction like Cuaron did with Azkaban. It's a shame that they couldn't hire someone with Peter Jackson's combination of respect for/dedication to the source material, combined with real vision and the ability to put a unique and personal stamp on the finished product while steering the actors in a perfect direction.

Well said!!! Adapting a book is never an easy task, but it seems that the cliffs notes were the primary reference material and that the box office receipts were and are the principal objective.

Darklord Dave
07-30-2008, 08:31 PM
I actually liked Yates' directing on Phoenix, there were some artistic flourishes that bely him just being a technician and mouthpiece of the producers. Nothing like the imprimatur that Cuaron put on 3, but still some style.

However Gambon does appear to be just walking through the role with no thought or even any attempt at creating a character. The reading in Goblet of him being angry and worried seemed right, but almost every other line reading has been off. The air of superiority and condescension needed at the end of Phoenix just didn't play for me.

This film requires far more from Dumbledore than any film before - it's essentially about him and Voldie, rather than Harry. Hopefully Yates has decided he really needs to direct Gambon instead of letting him just speak the lines.

KAOSINLA
07-30-2008, 09:29 PM
I actually liked Yates' directing on Phoenix, there were some artistic flourishes that bely him just being a technician and mouthpiece of the producers. Nothing like the imprimatur that Cuaron put on 3, but still some style.

However Gambon does appear to be just walking through the role with no thought or even any attempt at creating a character. The reading in Goblet of him being angry and worried seemed right, but almost every other line reading has been off. The air of superiority and condescension needed at the end of Phoenix just didn't play for me.

This film requires far more from Dumbledore than any film before - it's essentially about him and Voldie, rather than Harry. Hopefully Yates has decided he really needs to direct Gambon instead of letting him just speak the lines.

The totality of what you said represents the tepid worrying I have for HBP. Will I be enjoying the fact that Gambon has been directed well enough to embrace the literary Dumbledore through true interpretation of the character or will I be anxiously awaiting the killing curse to erase the abomination of what Dumbledore has become?:confused:

IronFingaz
07-31-2008, 07:05 AM
I don't really have a problem with Gambon. I think he's done a good job so far but i would still have prefered Harris since he's my favorite. But it would have interesting to see how Dumbledoor would be if they picked Peter O'Toole. I heard he was the first option after Harris died but they were nervous about his age.

The Tales of Beedle the Bard
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0956010903/ref=ms_sbrspot_0?pf_rd_p=421436201&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=507846&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=01FKA7ZD2EETV74VVD7N

Wetanut
07-31-2008, 07:21 AM
Have always believed that O'Toole would have been the better choice -- age or no. Regardless of film being a director's medium, an actor also has a responsibility to try to fully realize whatever he/she is given on that printed script. No good professional actor conforms slavishly to the director --they must serve as compliments to each other. If opinions conflict, then director and actor should be putting their heads together to come up with a mutually acceptable interpretation/delivery.

wofford29
07-31-2008, 04:04 PM
Alright Potter fans, I missed out on all the books and don't have the time to read through all of them before Half Blood Prince comes out. I saw my first Potter movie (The Order of the Phoniex) a couple weeks ago. Although I didn't care for the film, I think if I started from the beginning it would appeal to me more. How close to the books have the movies been, and if I watch them all will I have a good understanding of the books to tide me over until I can read them all? I'm really curious to see Curaon's work on the Potter films as well. Out of curiousity, are his the best in the series?

pixletwin
07-31-2008, 04:05 PM
Definitely. I don't know how I could have kept up with the 5th movie if I hadn't read the book first.

The Mike
07-31-2008, 04:07 PM
The funny thing is I've only read book six. After seeing Order of the Phoenix I just read Book Six and got through half of Book Seven.

Darth Loki
07-31-2008, 04:08 PM
Alright Potter fans, I missed out on all the books and don't have the time to read through all of them before Half Blood Prince comes out. I saw my first Potter movie (The Order of the Phoniex) a couple weeks ago. Although I didn't care for the film, I think if I started from the beginning it would appeal to me more. How close to the books have the movies been, and if I watch them all will I have a good understanding of the books to tide me over until I can read them all? I'm really curious to see Curaon's work on the Potter films as well. Out of curiousity, are his the best in the series?

Trust me, you do have time. I read the first 3 books in two weeks. The 4th and 5th take about a month of average reading each (but you won't be able to put them down). The books are so much better and I absolutely love the movies. At least read up to book 5 before the new movie and then read 6 after seeing the movie. Trust me, you won't be disappointed.

Kratos
07-31-2008, 05:06 PM
These Harry Potter Movies get worse as they go along
I personally think it is because of all the content that is left out

Darth Loki
07-31-2008, 05:12 PM
These Harry Potter Movies get worse as they go along
I personally think it is because of all the content that is left out

That is your opinion. Most others feel the opposite though I did like 4 a little better than 5.

You have to leave content out or the movie would be about 6 hours long (not that I'd complain but good luck getting many people to sit through that)

tomandshell
07-31-2008, 05:15 PM
I'm really curious to see Curaon's work on the Potter films as well. Out of curiousity, are his the best in the series?

He only directed one, film three (Prisoner of Azkaban). Some fans didn't like some of his choices, including having the students wear street clothes instead of identical school robes, but he out his stamp on the material more than some of the others have done. Personally, his film is one of my favorites in the series, up there with film four.

YoNoSe
07-31-2008, 05:17 PM

Cuaron only directed one, Prisoner of Askaban, and it's my favorite. People tend to split on this one, and generally the rest of the movie series. Folks who want the most faithful adaptation prefer the first two movies. I prefer the later movies because they drop a lot of subplots and work harder at making it a cinematic experience.

I would recommend trying to read the books first, but it's not a necessity. I took my fiancee to see Prisoner of Azkaban when she had never read the books and seen only parts of the first movie. She started reading the books the next day and is now more of a fanatic than me.

Entropy
07-31-2008, 05:19 PM
Best movies:
3 PoA
4 GoF
1 SS (I'm a sucker for origin stories)
2 CoS
5 OotP

Best books:
6 HBP
7 DH
3 PoA
4 GoF
1 SS
2 CoS
5 OotP

tomandshell
07-31-2008, 05:23 PM
My ranking--

Favorite Movies:
3 PoA/4 GoF (tie)
2 CoS
5 OotP
1 SS

Favorite Books:
3 PoA
7 DH
4 GoF
1 SS
6 HBP
2 CoS
5 OotP

pixletwin
07-31-2008, 08:17 PM
My rankings:

Book:

Movies:

Agent0028
07-31-2008, 08:37 PM
I cry a little everytime someone says they haven't read Harry Potter. I also work with someone who hasn't read Deathly Hallows yet because she reads the paperbacks. I'm tempted to buy her a copy every time I go to a book store.

granado.espada
08-01-2008, 12:25 AM
http://images.usatoday.com/life/_photos/2008/07/29/dumbledorex-large.jpg

Gandalf cameo appearance?!

dunedain
08-01-2008, 02:18 AM
I also know a lot of people who haven't read the books and immediately respond with "Those are children books." Recently I convinced some to read the book (I borrowed them my copy of the first book) and now they are halfway true book 5. So I hope I can get the others on board to. :D

RyanGabriel
08-01-2008, 10:28 PM
I'm actually one of those people who had no idea back then who Harry Potter is or even JK Rowling is. Even thou I do hear that it is a best selling book and good story I kindda ignore it coz I'm thinking it's a kids stuff ( my ignorance I think ). But when I saw PoA I was converted, bought all the books and read the set 3 times already. Now one of my all time favorite side by side with the LOTR series book and movie wise.

Darth Waller
08-02-2008, 12:47 PM
Now one of my all time favorite side by side with the LOTR series book and movie wise.

This is exactly how I fell. I can read both HP and LOTR series countless times and love watching the movies as well.

Giant Chicken
08-14-2008, 02:20 PM
HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF BLOOD PRINCE has been DELAYED 8 months!!!!!!!!!! It will now be released on July 17, 2009. This is very crappy news

HP 6 DELAY!!! (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=48001)

Darth Loki
08-14-2008, 02:25 PM
:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:bang head:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead

Darth Loki
08-14-2008, 02:25 PM
:emperor:emperor:emperor:emperor:emperor:emperor:e mperor:emperor:emperor:emperor

Darth Loki
08-14-2008, 02:26 PM
:crying:crying:crying:crying:crying:crying:crying: crying:crying:crying

Darth Loki
08-14-2008, 02:26 PM
:censored:censored:censored:censored:censored:cens ored:censored:censored:censored:censored

pixletwin
08-14-2008, 02:27 PM
Crappy news:

In making the announcement, Mr. Horn stated, "Our reasons for shifting 'Half-Blood Prince' to summer are twofold: we know the summer season is an ideal window for a family tent pole release, as proven by the success of our last 'Harry Potter' film, which is the second-highest grossing film in the franchise, behind only the first installment. Additionally, like every other studio, we are still feeling the repercussions of the writers' strike, which impacted the readiness of scripts for other films—changing the competitive landscape for 2009 and offering new windows of opportunity that we wanted to take advantage of. We agreed the best strategy was to move 'Half-Blood Prince' to July, where it perfectly fills the gap for a major tent pole release for mid-summer."

Darth Loki
:cuss:cuss:cuss:cuss:cuss:cuss:cuss:cuss:cuss:cuss

Darth Loki
I'm not happy

Darth Waller
08-14-2008, 02:29 PM
Our reasons for shifting 'Half-Blood Prince' to summer are twofold: we know the summer season is an ideal window for a family tent pole release, as proven by the success of our last 'Harry Potter' film, which is the second-highest grossing film in the franchise, behind only the first installment. Additionally, like every other studio, we are still feeling the repercussions of the writers' strike, which impacted the readiness of scripts for other filmsóchanging the competitive landscape for 2009 and offering new windows of opportunity that we wanted to take advantage of. We agreed the best strategy was to move 'Half-Blood Prince' to July, where it perfectly fills the gap for a major tent pole release for mid-summer.

You guys suck! :banghead

Darklord Dave
08-14-2008, 02:31 PM
Man, that truly sucks.

Damn these low interest rates! Used to be that studios wanted to get films out there as quickly as possible so they weren't paying so much in interest on the money borrowed to make the film. But now they don't really lose anything by delaying it.

It is good that there won't be such a huge break between HBP and DH1 though.

pixletwin
08-14-2008, 02:33 PM
It is good that there won't be such a huge break between HBP and DH1 though.

That is the only positive thing I can get out of it... OH well. I guess Doc Who is the only thing I have to really look forward to this Xmas. :lol

Darth Waller
08-14-2008, 02:36 PM
I feel like I just ate an earwax flavored Bertie Botts Every Flavor Bean. :sick

Buttmunch
08-14-2008, 02:57 PM
How the heck do they think EIGHT FREAKING MONTHS is an acceptable delay. A month or two yes, but heck, its almost a year away now instead of 3 months! ARRRRAAAGGGGH!

abstractharmony
08-14-2008, 03:02 PM
bollocks!

I is not happy

El Roranous
08-14-2008, 03:06 PM
WTF! That's freakin stupid of them. Just to catch the Summer season. I doubt it really even matters when we are talking Harry Potter. :monkey4:monkey4:monkey4

OSCORP
08-14-2008, 03:14 PM
^^^^in Lame! These films are a fall release. They just have that vibe about them. I don't want to see HP in the summer, i wanna see it around halloween or when the leaves are changin.

GAY.

El Roranous
08-14-2008, 03:16 PM
^^^^in Lame! These films are a fall release. They just have that vibe about them. I don't want to see HP in the summer, i wanna see it around halloween or when the leaves are changin.

GAY.

I 100% agree!! Seriously, that is how I like to view them too. Not when it's a million degrees outside. It makes a big difference. I was very disappointed when they did this in the past- very.

El Roranous
08-14-2008, 03:18 PM
What's worse is this is just about getting more money. That's bull, it's HARRY POTTER- it will sell no matter what month it's released.

pixletwin
08-14-2008, 03:20 PM
Totally agree. HP seems more at home during the holiday season.

OSCORP
08-14-2008, 03:24 PM
This was the only thing i was going to see in the theater the rest of the year.

Thanks ^^^^^^^s!!

ProgMatinee
08-14-2008, 03:26 PM
They should take some time do some reshoots and make the last film over. Go ahead and use much of it, but give the film some f'n heart.

shaun-o
08-14-2008, 03:30 PM
That sucks Quidditch BALLS!!!!!!

wofford29
08-14-2008, 03:32 PM
Lol, well I guess I've got plenty of time to read the books now.

Wetanut
08-14-2008, 03:38 PM
Crap!!!
But then it also kinda explains why there's wasn't as much pushing on HP this year at SDCC. I thought it was a bit strange that there was no HP-related panels (if there was, it was so low key I didn't know about them), or huge displays and marketing going on for a film that was supposed to be out in Nov.

BadMoon
08-14-2008, 03:55 PM
This is just dumb. I hope the fans really take it to the movie studio. Utter crap.

Now that I think about it there is a certain movie called Twilight coming out in early December. I wonder if they got cold feet from the apparent competition? :dunno

KAOSINLA
08-14-2008, 04:26 PM
Those uncle-f'ers!!!

Buttmunch
08-14-2008, 04:35 PM
They better release a darn good amount of trailers now - THEY OWE US!

IronFingaz
08-14-2008, 04:44 PM
http://www.chromewaves.net/images/interface/johnnycashFinger_.jpg

This one's for you, Warner Bros.

This was the only thing i was looking forward to seeing in theaters this holiday season :mad: :banghead :cuss :emperor

tomandshell
08-14-2008, 05:21 PM
This totally stinks! Money, money, money...

They should have ended the press release with a reminder to go and see The Dark Knight one more time while we wait nine months for the next Potter.

Darth Waller
08-14-2008, 05:56 PM
This was the only thing i was going to see in the theater the rest of the year.

Thanks ^^^^^^^s!!

http://www.chromewaves.net/images/interface/johnnycashFinger_.jpg

This one's for you, Warner Bros.

This was the only thing i was looking forward to seeing in theaters this holiday season :mad: :banghead :cuss :emperor

:lecture :lecture :lecture

King Darkness
08-14-2008, 06:05 PM
:monkey4 :monkey4 :monkey4 :monkey4 :monkey4

F'n HELL!!!!

Bonehead15
08-14-2008, 06:31 PM
Son of a ****!!!

http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/mad/mad0040.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net)http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/mad/mad0040.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net)http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/mad/mad0040.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net)http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/mad/mad0040.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net)http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/mad/mad0040.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net)

Darth Waller
08-14-2008, 07:18 PM
It's a fiasco!

http://www.sxc.hu/pic/m/s/sh/shmoo18/248453_yelling.jpg