PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince--SPOILERS!!!

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

The Mike
07-16-2009, 12:19 PM
Yes but she was pink haired Tonks and there wasn't a lot explained. Her look in this film was very different than her appearance here and looking at her it would be easy to miss.

Tonks in OotP:

http://bloghogwarts.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/tonks.jpg

http://www.urbanstash.com/images/products/d_1851.jpg

Tonks in HBP:
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/harrypotter/images/thumb/3/38/Nyphadora_Tonks_HBP.JPG/250px-Nyphadora_Tonks_HBP.JPG

ProgMatinee
07-16-2009, 12:33 PM
that is pretty different. man its hard to make a perfect film from a book just too much stuff to reference.

galactiboy
07-16-2009, 01:43 PM
One thing I didn't like was that they never mentioned who Tonks was. I knew because I read the book but for people who were just fans of the film and never read the books they would never realize, she didn't have the same hair, no explanation, no mention, nothing. I remember hearing a girl behind say "Who is that other witch?"

Well that and no mention of her being depressed, the relationship with Lupin, etc.

The Mike
07-16-2009, 01:44 PM
Which will make one of the real serious events in TDH feel out of nowhere for casual fans.

Dementor
07-16-2009, 01:47 PM
I believe the wedding of Bill/Fleur will be replaced by Tonks/Lupin. They did have Tonks call Lupin "Sweetheart" in the Burrow scene but that was about it. They will figure out some way to make it work...they always do...lol

Plus Lupin and Tonks have some serious stuff happen in DH and not just the end.

galactiboy
07-16-2009, 01:48 PM
Which will make one of the real serious events in TDH feel out of nowhere for casual fans.

I believe the wedding of Bill/Fleur will be replaced by Tonks/Lupin. They did have Tonks call Lupin "Sweetheart" in the Burrow scene but that was about it. They will figure out some way to make it work...they always do...lol

Yep and yep... guess there will have to be a quick catch-up explanation, unless they just abandon all of that in the 7th film (which would be lame).

Dementor
07-16-2009, 02:04 PM
Yep and yep... guess there will have to be a quick catch-up explanation, unless they just abandon all of that in the 7th film (which would be lame).

If they completely take it out I will be mad...it is quite important to the story line!

YoNoSe
07-16-2009, 03:18 PM
The Tonks Lupin relationship is hinted at in the movie, she calls him Sweetheart when they're on the front porch. It's one of those things...too much information, not enough time. One thing to keep in mind is that they have twice as much time for exposition and character moments between the two parts of Deathly Hallows.
I can't put myself in the shoes of a non-reader but I liked that Tonks looked more subdued and adult. Her relationship with Lupin was one of the few things that seemed forced in the books (IMO). She needed to look more grown-up to match his haggard appearance.

tomandshell
07-16-2009, 03:30 PM

You know, I had the same idea when I was talking to my wife. That would be a substantial change from the book, but taking into account the limited screen time and the needs to make Lupin & Tonks' fate carry any weight, along with the lack of Bill and Fleur so far, this solution would make sense in the movie world.

The Mike
07-16-2009, 04:38 PM
The Tonks/Lupin relationship is hinted in the movie only if you can recognize that its Tonks. :lol

For the casual fan its just some chick there.

mildoo
07-16-2009, 04:40 PM
I wouldn't mind if it Bill?Fleur was replaced with Tonks/Lupin since Bill has only ever been in the photograph in PoA. It is still a wedding and the events that take place during the wedding will be the same.

Bamboota
07-16-2009, 09:15 PM
when ron ate those chocolates and was all goo goo gaga....and at slughorn's christmas party when potter was behind the curtain with hermoine and then that kid puked on snape's shoes. Jim broadbent also cracked me up..the way he moved and some of his facial expressions were just hilarious. And when harry took the liquid luck...then were lots of one-liners that i thought were funny. It was nice seeing ron, hermoine and harry having fun and laughing...and trying to get a handle on their emotions. I thought they did all those scenes very well.

lol!! Yeah ron was funny!!

Giant Chicken
07-16-2009, 11:06 PM
Took my wife to see it this evening...

I thought the movie was okay. To be fair, the movie was probably better than I am giving credit due to the fact that I had a bad headache throughout the second 1/2 of the movie.

I didnt like all the goofyness that was added. So much sillyness when it came to all of the love relationships and then also alot of the Slugworth scenes.

They could have done a better job showing Harry's addiction to the HBP potions book. I also found it amusing how Draco had to dramatically pull the curtain off the transporting box over and over again. (Did he climb back up evrytime and put the curtain back on?)

And lastly,
Was very bummed about Dumbeldore's death being off screen. I wish we had the chance to see the entire death scene and not just a flash of blue light.

pixletwin
07-16-2009, 11:11 PM
What? Seeing him falling down in slo-mo wasn't enough?

Entropy
07-16-2009, 11:26 PM
What? Seeing him falling down in slo-mo wasn't enough?

No.

Diggery's death was more moving and shocking.

It seems Yates was loath to show too much as it would upset the kids, but that's the whole point of scene like that. To move us, shock us and upset us. We see Dumbledore get hit from Harry's obscured pov then the close up Hans Grubber slo-mo fall. Then just a close up of his face as Harry brushes aside his hair. Weaksauce. I didn't need to see impact but it needed to be more intense and real. The silence that followed was a cheap, derivative version of Gandalf's fall. It was such a crucial moment and not properly milked for its true power and potential.

galactiboy
07-17-2009, 08:12 AM
One other thing about that sequence...

I wasn't particularly happy with the change to how Harry witnessed the death. The addition of a little extra Snape deception (shushing Harry) was okay for the film. But the idea of Harry being frozen and unable to help seemed more painful to me than him just standing there, watching the death and then waiting to give chase.

Agent0028
07-17-2009, 09:15 AM
In response to Galactiboy
In the book Harry was immobilized by Dumbledore. Did they do it differently in the movie? My cousin disliked Snape shushing Harry, although she can't explain why. It doesn't sound like a change I care too much for either.

Darth Waller
07-17-2009, 11:24 AM
I'm seeing this tomorrow. :rock

* backs out of thread without reading anything *

galactiboy
07-17-2009, 11:43 AM
In response to Galactiboy

Back atcha
Basically Dumbledore tells Harry to hide (below the stairs) and not say or do anything to interfere... I guess continuing the promise from when the got the Horcrux. So basically Harry just watches it all unfold and does nothing but look anxious.

I thought it was more powerful when he was invisible and immobilized, so basically forced to watch in the book.

Darth Caedus
07-17-2009, 12:21 PM
Back atcha
Basically Dumbledore tells Harry to hide (below the stairs) and not say or do anything to interfere... I guess continuing the promise from when the got the Horcrux. So basically Harry just watches it all unfold and does nothing but look anxious.

I thought it was more powerful when he was invisible and immobilized, so basically forced to watch in the book.

I pretty much agree with you. Before it happened, I was thinking that he was going to be immobile and trying to free himself to help Dumbledore, not just watch it happen. Like the only thing holding him back from helping Dumbledore was that Dumbledore didn't want him too. That would have shown the emotional state of D's death much more than how the film depicted it.

On a side note, I LOVED how Snape hushed Harry before he went up to finish the deed. Added more reason for Harry to hate Snape on the way out

galactiboy
07-17-2009, 12:26 PM
On a side note, I LOVED how Snape hushed Harry before he went up to finish the deed. Added more reason for Harry to hate Snape on the way out

Yeah, that was the only saving grace of that scene. While not in the book, it definitely added an extra layer of deception.

Darth Caedus
07-17-2009, 12:55 PM
Only just remembered, but the scene with MacClaggen licking his fingers was hilarious.

tomandshell
07-17-2009, 01:22 PM
I think that one of the big issues for Harry (and the reader/viewer) is whether or not to trust Snape. While different from the book, I like how the movie handled the confrontation at the end.

I think that not having Harry immobilized and helpless was an interesting choice, because Harry had to choose whether or not to obey Dumbledore and trust Snape. That will increase movie Harry's sense of guilt and responsibility for Dumbledore's death. In book/movie five, Harry should have obeyed and instead he acted out on his own by heading to the Ministry, falling into Voldemort's trap and getting Sirius killed. In book/film six, Harry was maturing and learning to quit jumping ahead without thinking--he actually made a decision to stop for once and follow orders/instructions without overreacting. Having Snape silence him gave the sense that Snape was going to head upstairs and save the day, and that Harry's trust in him was appropriate. For first time viewers, Snape comes off as even more evil after doing that--reassuring Harry and responding to Dumbledore's "Please" by killing him. He really does seem to be revealed as a villain, and his "shhh" seems really wicked. Of course, seeing the scene play out with the knowledge of Snape that we receive in the seventh book, you can watch it with a different perspective. Snape really is silencing Harry to hide and protect him, and at the same time he is fulfilling his vow to protect Draco (keeping himself alive and trusted by Voldemort) while at the same time following the already dying Dumbledore's orders to kill him. Without the knowledge of Snape's true loyalties, he comes off as the villain, but knowing everything about him and his situation, the scene plays quite differently. The whole issue of whether or not to trust and follow the guidance of the Half-Blood Prince is a big part of the plot, and the climax is what ties the potions book subplot together with the rest of the story. Harry chose to trust Snape (moreso in the movie than the book) and from his perspective, the result was a disaster. In the end, he will find that his trust was well placed.

pixletwin
07-17-2009, 01:24 PM
Tom gets it. :clap

Seriously though, why are we using spoiler tags on a movie about a book that has been out for 5 years? No one felt compelled to use spoiler tags for Lord of the Rings. :dunno

The Mike
07-17-2009, 01:25 PM
I didn't remember this from the book but it has been a while, if so though its inclusion in the film took away from everything you posted Tom

The scene before they take off to the cave Snape says to Dumbledore that he asks too much and you could initially think he is referring to Potter until he tells him that Snape already agreed and he has to. Just that line alone had a lot of people in the theater saying "Its part of Dumbledore's plan, remember when..." or "Its a set up because he said..."

I remember closing the Half Blood Prince thinking the betrayal was monsterous, I didn't feel that after this. Had that scene been removed it was have been really powerful and while some people may not have remembered to those who did or are as observant as some diehard Potter fans are it waters it down a bit.

MooMooEgg
07-17-2009, 01:28 PM
I dont want to go through almost 80 pages of posts, so sorry if this was mentioned.

Was anyone disappointed with the IMAX 3D portion of the film? I saw it today, and it was the first 20 or so minutes where there was almost no action. It was really disappointing to pay extra for the IMAX 3D and not have it be worth the price.

Order of the Phoenix had 3D as well, but it was the last 30 minutes or so, so there was the chase through the room with the shelves of glass balls, the wizard fight in the cave, and then the awesome battle between Dumbledore and Voldemort. All of that was amazing, and it really put the 3D sequences of HBP to shame.

But aside from that, I did like the movie and thought it was probably the 2nd best of the series (behind Azkaban).

tomandshell
07-17-2009, 01:48 PM
Where did you see it in IMAX? I thought it had been delayed because of Transformers' contract for a full month.

MooMooEgg
07-17-2009, 01:51 PM
Where did you see it in IMAX? I thought it had been delayed because of Transformers' contract for a full month.

Lincoln Center AMC in NYC. I thought it was delayed too, but Fandango said that the three or 4 major IMAX theaters were playing it this week =)

Edit: here's the blurb:

* The following theatres will open July 15th:
AMC Loews Lincoln Square IMAX Theatre- New York, NY
AMC Century City 15 & IMAX- Los Angeles, CA
Omnimax at Museum of Science and Industry- Chicago, IL (IMAX Dome- this film will not be presented in IMAX 3D at this location)

nash
07-17-2009, 01:53 PM
They have one Imax here in NYC Lincoln Center that has it on Imax.

Agent0028
07-17-2009, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the response Galactiboy.

It's interesting to read people's various reactions to changes and such.

Giant Chicken
07-17-2009, 07:09 PM
Back to the issue of Snape.

I really like how Snape snuck up on Harry telling him to stay quiet. I feel that the scene showed Snape's true colors... He could have gave Harry away but he kept him safe instead.

I think the scene would be very powerful if I had not read the books... It shows Snape being good and bad. But I also feel, just like in the book, enough information was given for the viewer to figure out Snape's true side.

Entropy
07-17-2009, 07:28 PM

Seriously though, why are we using spoiler tags on a movie about a book that has been out for 5 years? No one felt compelled to use spoiler tags for Lord of the Rings. :dunno

I agree.

Snape shushes Harry before he kills Dumbledore. And I'm ok with that addition.

I didn't remember this from the book but it has been a while, if so though its inclusion in the film took away from everything you posted Tom

The scene before they take off to the cave Snape says to Dumbledore that he asks too much and you could initially think he is referring to Potter until he tells him that Snape already agreed and he has to. Just that line alone had a lot of people in the theater saying "Its part of Dumbledore's plan, remember when..." or "Its a set up because he said..."

I remember closing the Half Blood Prince thinking the betrayal was monsterous, I didn't feel that after this. Had that scene been removed it was have been really powerful and while some people may not have remembered to those who did or are as observant as some diehard Potter fans are it waters it down a bit.

Mike gets it. :clap

The subtext and feelings are all on point in the film as it's based on JK Rowling's solid book and story, but they misstep and refocus on the more juvenile 'B' story instead of the moodier, darker and, imo, far more interesting and engaging Snape/Draco & Dumbledore machinations 'A' story. And while individual scenes and sections work, in refocusing and cutting stuff, moving stuff around, and muting some of the darker bits, they muddy and weaken the overall product.

wofford29
07-17-2009, 11:14 PM

Because I just stumbled upon these posts below me and haven't read all the books yet, nor seen the movies. :(

I agree.

Snape shushes Harry before he kills Dumbledore. And I'm ok with that addition.

Mike gets it. :clap

The subtext and feelings are all on point in the film as it's based on JK Rowling's solid book and story, but they misstep and refocus on the more juvenile 'B' story instead of the moodier, darker and, imo, far more interesting and engaging Snape/Draco & Dumbledore machinations 'A' story. And while individual scenes and sections work, in refocusing and cutting stuff, moving stuff around, and muting some of the darker bits, they muddy and weaken the overall product.

Entropy
07-17-2009, 11:26 PM
I'll edit in a spoiler tag.

I was talking to a girl just the other day that wandered into a Star Wars thread and found out Vader is Luke's dad and she hasn't seen any of the movies. Be careful where you wander I suppose.

JoeSweden
07-18-2009, 04:46 AM

I was talking to a girl just the other day that wandered into a Star Wars thread and found out Vader is Luke's dad

Nooooooooooooo!:horror
I was staying clear of all Star Wars threads and you had to put it here!:banghead

:naughty:lol:chew:rotfl

IronFingaz
07-18-2009, 05:06 AM
Four and a half hours until it's my turn to see it!!! :banana

the vampire with soul
07-18-2009, 09:04 AM

I was talking to a girl just the other day that wandered into a Star Wars thread and found out Vader is Luke's dad and she hasn't seen any of the movies. Be careful where you wander I suppose.

Dam theres people who still don't know that:confused:

CelticPredator
07-18-2009, 09:07 AM
Dam theres people who still don't know that:confused:

http://jamie-online.com/random-jamz/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/facepalm.jpg

Darth Caedus
07-18-2009, 09:20 AM
http://jamie-online.com/random-jamz/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/facepalm.jpg

http://threadbombing.com/data/media/54/worfisfrustratedmz8.gif

tomandshell
07-18-2009, 10:09 AM

I remember Harry overhearing that conversation in the book--Rowling did leave that hint for the readers. EDIT: I was wrong--Harry didn't overhear it, Hagrid overheard it and reported it to Harry. But Rowling did let us know that Dumbledore had ordered Snape to do something that he no longer wanted to do.

Between that little conversation in the book and the way Dumbledore said please, I saw through things when I read the book the first time. I knew there was more going on than a simple betrayal, and if there were enough clues in the book, it's OK to have clues in the movie allowing people to read it either way.

Jen
07-18-2009, 10:25 AM
I remember Harry overhearing that conversation in the book--Rowling did leave that hint for the readers.

Between that little conversation in the book and the way Dumbledore said please, I saw through things when I read the book the first time. I knew there was more going on than a simple betrayal, and if there were enough clues in the book, it's OK to have clues in the movie allowing people to read it either way.

I agree with you Tom....you know really after book 4 or so, I just knew that Snape was a good guy.....When he killed Dumbledore it just was such a heartbreaking scene...and I really felt for Snape and the position he was in....having to kill the one man who REALLY believed in him....I will say I am not looking forward to Snape's death in the next movies.....his death bummed me out after reading the books...it was not a death worthy of the man. I wanted him to go out wands blazing and letting it be known to everyone who's side he was really on.

Darth Caedus
07-18-2009, 10:36 AM
I agree with you Jen, I always thought that Snape's death was very lackluster. We found out in HBP, that Snape was extremely powerful and he went out without a fight. I thought at least that he would put up a fight. I really hope they have him at least fight a little bit in the film.

tomandshell
07-18-2009, 10:37 AM
He was always my favorite character.

He had his own wounds and issues, but beneath it all he was dedicated and loyal--all the more impressive considering how misunderstood he was and how poorly he was treated by pretty much everyone else as a result. To see him forced to put down the one person who believed in him was sad--even though it could be seen as a sort of Kevorkian mercy killing.

I also would have liked to see Snape get a better death, although it's a little bit of a comfort to know that the truth eventually came out--and that Snape's name will live on in Harry's son.

Jen
07-18-2009, 10:53 AM
I agree with you Jen, I always thought that Snape's death was very lackluster. We found out in HBP, that Snape was extremely powerful and he went out without a fight. I thought at least that he would put up a fight. I really hope they have him at least fight a little bit in the film.

Me too! He's one of my favorite characters....definitely favorite over all the adult characters...

Snape was always the hurt and bitter kid who never belonged.....even being in the OotP there were those that only trusted him because of Dumbledore...so even when he belonged to a group.....he was still on the fringes. I wanted him to get his pat on the back...I wanted him and Harry to to finally acknowledge that they understood and respected eachother ...I just for some weird reason really wanted him to be recognized....he didn't really get that in the books. Poor Snape. :monkey2 I'm still mad how he dies. :lol

Jen
07-18-2009, 10:56 AM
I forgot about the name!!! Well that makes me feel a little better about the death....a little. :lol But that was cool....I need to re-read that book..I'm forgetting to many small details.

pixletwin
07-18-2009, 11:11 AM
He was always my favorite character.

He had his own wounds and issues, but beneath it all he was dedicated and loyal--all the more impressive considering how misunderstood he was and how poorly he was treated by pretty much everyone else as a result. To see him forced to put down the one person who believed in him was sad--even though it could be seen as a sort of Kevorkian mercy killing.

I also would have liked to see Snape get a better death, although it's a little bit of a comfort to know that the truth eventually came out--and that Snape's name will live on in Harry's son.

Thats exactly what i felt too.

tomandshell
07-18-2009, 11:52 AM
I will say that the teen romance stuff and "Who should I ask to the Christmas party?" drama was better suited for book/film four. At this point, we've already been there/done that, and there are more important things to focus on. I guess that I expected more of the Voldemort backstory in the new film than we ended up getting, but maybe they felt that would be too bleak. I guess the romantic fluff was there in the book, but it felt more balanced out by other things--things that didn't make it into the film.

Buttmunch
07-18-2009, 12:17 PM
I too felt Snape's death was a bit lacking. I always thought he'd die saving Harry or end up living and becoming Harry's new father figure after the truths came out. Snape didn't even try to defend himself against Voldemort/Nagini. You'd think if you're going to die it wouldn't matter if your cover was blown at that point. You might as well try right?

Luckily with the films, they have changed some things around so maybe Snape will get a better death. I mean, getting biten by a snake? Come on! I also hope we actually get to see Lupin and Tonks' deaths and not have them off screen. The Battle of Hogwarts needs to be nice, long fight. At least 30 mintues or so to do it justice. So far I've been disapointed with all of the fights except the Harry vs Voldemort in the graveyard. OotP was Ok, but too short (both the Deatheaters and especially the Voldemort one). And what happened to the fight in HBP. That pissed me off more than Gambon being Dumbledore in it.

Giant Chicken
07-18-2009, 12:21 PM
Continuing on Snape...
I agree that Snape's death was weak. I would ave loved for him to reveal his true colors and die protecting Harry. But more than hating Snapes death I DID NOT like that J.K. left Snape out of the paintings in Dumbeldores office at the end.

Harry had the chance to go to the office and speak with Dumbeldore. By this point, Snape had been the headmaster and he should have had a painting after his death as well. I know it would be a major change from the book but I would like to see a goodbye/thankyou between Snape and Harry in the last film.

tomandshell
07-18-2009, 12:22 PM
I thought that the fate of Lupin/Tonks was even more disappointing than Snape's death. I didn't like Sirius Black's death in OotP, either--but at least he didn't die off screen! If youre going to kill off main characters, let them go out with a bang--fighting bravely and/or going out with a noble act of self sacrifice. Not slipping through a veil or getting killed off screen.

galactiboy
07-18-2009, 12:29 PM
At the same time death isn't always dramatic, or exciting. To me its almost more realistic to have some of the important people just die uncerimoniously.

And in contrast to Tonks and Lupin the death of Doby is very upsetting, but also dramatic. I kind of like the odd balance Rowling struck between the deaths of major characters.

BTW, should we just move this over to a different spoiler laden thread... using these tags is getting to be a bit much :lol

tomandshell
07-18-2009, 01:13 PM
I agree that sometimes death isn't something glorious and exciting, etc. But in a work of fiction--particularly a sprawling, epic saga like this--the author can take a little dramatic license when it comes to noteworthy main character deaths. I guess you have to walk that line between dramatic/significant and realistic/matter-of-fact, but when you sit through nine hours of The Godfather, it's a bit of a letdown to see Michael Corleone simply fall out of his chair.

pixletwin
07-18-2009, 01:17 PM
Tom. Change my thread title to reflect that spoiler discussions are occuring so we can stop using these blasted tags. :lol

Giant Chicken
07-18-2009, 01:27 PM
Way to spoil the Godfather Tom... SPOILER TAGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

Buttmunch
07-18-2009, 01:35 PM
Continuing on Snape...
I agree that Snape's death was weak. I would ave loved for him to reveal his true colors and die protecting Harry. But more than hating Snapes death I DID NOT like that J.K. left Snape out of the paintings in Dumbeldores office at the end.

Harry had the chance to go to the office and speak with Dumbeldore. By this point, Snape had been the headmaster and he should have had a painting after his death as well. I know it would be a major change from the book but I would like to see a goodbye/thankyou between Snape and Harry in the last film.

But Dumbledore's portrait was asleep. I think they take time to wake up after they are put up.

Darth Caedus
07-18-2009, 01:41 PM
But Dumbledore's portrait was asleep. I think they take time to wake up after they are put up.

I think they all just pretend to be asleep until either something important happens that they want to be awake for or someone actually refers to them.

Continuing on with Snape, when Harry sees his flashbacks, what really got me was Snape doing something very brave (forgot what it was) and Dumbledore saying "Sometimes, I think we sort too soon"...acknowledging that Snape could belong in Gryffindor because of his bravery. Even though it was only one line, it was very powerful and I hope it's in the last film.

tomandshell
07-18-2009, 02:38 PM
I added a spoiler tag to the thread title.

However, some of our comments relate to events in book seven, so we might still want to keep some things under spoiler tags if they refer to things beyond book/film six.

:duff

Agent0028
07-18-2009, 03:01 PM
At the same time death isn't always dramatic, or exciting. To me its almost more realistic to have some of the important people just die uncerimoniously.

And in contrast to Tonks and Lupin the death of Doby is very upsetting, but also dramatic. I kind of like the odd balance Rowling struck between the deaths of major characters.

I agree, it adds a level of realism.

Buttmunch
07-18-2009, 03:04 PM
I agree, it adds a level of realism.

I disagree. Realistically, someone would naturally fight back. He didn't.

The Mike
07-18-2009, 03:08 PM
Who is the he we are referring to since we've been bouncing around the last two books as well as the movie? :lol

Agent0028
07-18-2009, 03:11 PM
I disagree. Realistically, someone would naturally fight back. He didn't.

I didn't mean Snape's. I just meant in general I agree with Galactiboy that not all deaths are exciting etc. and more specifically I was thinking of Tonks and Lupin's off screen deaths.

I'm all for them being on screen in the movie though.

Buttmunch
07-18-2009, 03:13 PM
Who is the he we are referring to since we've been bouncing around the last two books as well as the movie? :lol

Snape.

I didn't mean Snape's. I just meant in general I agree with Galactiboy that not all deaths are exciting etc. and more specifically I was thinking of Tonks and Lupin's off screen deaths.

I'm all for them being on screen in the movie though.

Oh, OK then. Harry wasn't around when they died so it made sense in the book I guess. But they need to go out on screen for sure.

galactiboy
07-18-2009, 04:14 PM
And Buttmunch:

I was comparing the deaths of Tonks and Lupin Vs Doby. No Snape in the post that Agent was respond too.

Dementor
07-18-2009, 04:58 PM
Buttmunch...I just read what you said about the Final battle a few pages back...it has been confirmed that the Final battle will be at least 30 minutes. I do not believe that they are including Harry finding what he needs to and his walk through the forest/the rest of that scene. Well...let's hope not. I really hope they just mean all the fighting will be a total of 30 minutes.

Well, I saw HBP for the second time today and though it was even better! I could really focus on things and I just adore the movie!

darthviper107
07-18-2009, 06:46 PM
Saw it today--pretty good, I say Azkaban is still better but this is #2, if it had a bit more structure to the story it would have been great, which makes me excited about the adaptations of book 7 since there's a very good structure there.

Darklord Dave
07-18-2009, 07:42 PM
I liked this movie a lot - maybe my second favorite after Azkaban. The kids are turning out to be pretty decent actors, even Watson, who I always thought was the weakest of the three. And I really liked the girl who played Lavender Brown - very funny.

It was disappointing that we didn't have more with Tonks/Lupin, but I really missed the menace of Fenrir, who is really the big bad in the 6th book. I'd imagine that most movie goers wouldn't even recognize him as a major player in the story.

I did feel that the breaking into Hogwarts was a bit unnecessary, now there doesn't seem to be any point to it, except maybe to instill fear - to show the wizarding world that there is no place safe from the Deatheaters. Not seeing the DA come into their own was a big disappointment, but in the next movies hopefully we'll have some good moments with them. I think Luna had some great beats in this film though, as did Ginny.

And Rickman was great as always, he had more to do and he does it very well.

Entropy
07-18-2009, 07:52 PM
I completely agree, Dave. But no love for Jim Broadbent? I felt he was the best thing about the film.

Darth Waller
07-18-2009, 07:56 PM
I saw it today and loved it! HP is so close to overtaking Star Wars as my favorite film series. I could watch these over and over. And it upsets me that there are no true collectibles for this series.

ProgMatinee
07-18-2009, 08:00 PM
i thought it was really really good the whole way through but kinda lacked a "1 big dramatic crescendo" like all the other films had.

I really loved loved loved seeing Luna Lovegood's lion hat. I was so disappointed when that didn't make an appearance in the 5th film see's one of my favorites.

Darklord Dave
07-18-2009, 08:02 PM
I completely agree, Dave. But no love for Jim Broadbent? I felt he was the best thing about the film.

Yes, Broadbent was perfect, actually more likable than the character in the book.

Wetanut
07-18-2009, 08:19 PM
Liked Broadbent (who couldn't?) but agree that he was much more likeable in the film than in the books. I woulda liked to have seen him a bit more smarmy.

Rickman is an acting god to me so I've relished every single moment and pause and look he's had on screen since movie #1. More shown of him in this one, but was disappointed that Snape's and Harry's duel at the end was so very short. I remember reading that duel sequence and being engrossed by the emotional pain Snape showed in it.

KitFisto
07-18-2009, 08:58 PM
I liked this movie a lot - maybe my second favorite after Azkaban. The kids are turning out to be pretty decent actors, even Watson, who I always thought was the weakest of the three. And I really liked the girl who played Lavender Brown - very funny.

It was disappointing that we didn't have more with Tonks/Lupin, but I really missed the menace of Fenrir, who is really the big bad in the 6th book. I'd imagine that most movie goers wouldn't even recognize him as a major player in the story.

I did feel that the breaking into Hogwarts was a bit unnecessary, now there doesn't seem to be any point to it, except maybe to instill fear - to show the wizarding world that there is no place safe from the Deatheaters. Not seeing the DA come into their own was a big disappointment, but in the next movies hopefully we'll have some good moments with them. I think Luna had some great beats in this film though, as did Ginny.

And Rickman was great as always, he had more to do and he does it very well.

I look at it as them being there if Draco fails. They were a back up plan if needed. In the book they of course were in the battle of Hogwarts which kept the good guys busy while Draco was supposed to be carrying out his mission. In the movie I tend to look at them as not "needed" as you said, but more of a back up plan if they were needed.

The Mike
07-18-2009, 09:04 PM
For me I remember reading the book right after hearing the rumor that Bob Hoskins was going to play Slughorn so I always pictured him, bigger and slightly grumpier. When I read that Broadbent was cast it was a bit of a disappointment, seeing him on screen he was very good but I got a weird channeling of Mr. Bean by his performance. While I liked him I would have to say I wish Hoskins was cast as well as the rumor that Naomi Watts was going to be Narcissa Malfoy.

Entropy
07-18-2009, 11:27 PM
I look at it as them being there if Draco fails. They were a back up plan if needed. In the book they of course were in the battle of Hogwarts which kept the good guys busy while Draco was supposed to be carrying out his mission. In the movie I tend to look at them as not "needed" as you said, but more of a back up plan if they were needed.

But Snape's the back up plan, he plainly states it during the unbreakable vow. It's ok to try and rationalize and explain it away, but in cutting the assault it's now unclear at best why they need to get into Hogwart's in the first place which is why adapting and editing a story can be a tricky task. It could have easily be remedied by cutting the cabinet sneek in or preferably sticking closer to the carefully crafted source material and if not a full battle at least include some sort of confrontation with the DA (which also has the benefit of referencing what and building on what we saw in the previous film, something I feel they don't do enough of) and reduce the awkward teen hormone stuff in favor of fleshing out the central mysteries - who's the half blood prince? what's voldy's plan? what's dumble's.

tomandshell
07-18-2009, 11:54 PM
Hogwarts was strangely deserted during the climax. I think we saw one auror blasted, and other than that the Death Eaters encountered absolutely no resistance or witnesses as they marched throughout the castle and out the front door. They built up the idea of heightened security throughout the movie, but Harry seems to be just about the only guy awake when the villains arrive. Where was everybody?

The Mike
07-19-2009, 12:00 AM
I wouldn't have minded the empty Hogwarts except after the fall from the tower, everyone in the whole school including the professors seemed to be just below to mourn. I know Hogwarts is big but big enough to hide the entire students and staff from the one area?

KitFisto
07-19-2009, 05:28 AM
But Snape's the back up plan, he plainly states it during the unbreakable vow. It's ok to try and rationalize and explain it away, but in cutting the assault it's now unclear at best why they need to get into Hogwart's in the first place which is why adapting and editing a story can be a tricky task. It could have easily be remedied by cutting the cabinet sneek in or preferably sticking closer to the carefully crafted source material and if not a full battle at least include some sort of confrontation with the DA (which also has the benefit of referencing what and building on what we saw in the previous film, something I feel they don't do enough of) and reduce the awkward teen hormone stuff in favor of fleshing out the central mysteries - who's the half blood prince? what's voldy's plan? what's dumble's.

I know Snape is the back up plan to kill Dumbledore, but if they ran into trouble and were needed like they were in the book then they are there to back up Draco/Snape. They just decided to skip the battle in the movie. I am just saying that's WHY they were there.

KitFisto
07-19-2009, 05:31 AM
Hogwarts was strangely deserted during the climax. I think we saw one auror blasted, and other than that the Death Eaters encountered absolutely no resistance or witnesses as they marched throughout the castle and out the front door. They built up the idea of heightened security throughout the movie, but Harry seems to be just about the only guy awake when the villains arrive. Where was everybody?

In dorms? Sleeping? It appeared to be late when Harry and Dumbledore got back. It was very late in the book and appeared to be in the movie as well. Everyone came out after Dumbledore had been killed because the death eaters did disturb the scool when leaving "Bellatrix blowing out the windows in the great hall. That's when people started realizing that something was going on.

Dementor
07-19-2009, 06:32 AM
No one thought that Draco would be able to "defeat" Dumbledore. They never expected Draco to even be able to disarm Dumbledore. That's why they were there. They needed to make sure the deed was done. They needed to make sure that Snape wasn't lying and was choosing to die instead of kill Dumbledore. Also, Dumbledore is a very powerful wizard. I'm sure Dumbledore would have been able to defeat both Snape and Draco if he had pleased. So, they were all also probably there to duel Dumbledore at the same time while Draco killed him.

As Kit said, the student heard the giant explosions from Bella echoing around Hogwarts and, just like in the book, they all went downstairs and found Dumbledore.

Andr3w
07-19-2009, 09:46 AM
saw the movie. Was expecting much more from it. A bit disappointed :sick

darthjuan007
07-19-2009, 09:55 AM
Saw the movie last night and was a little disappointed. Dumbledore death could have been done better and a BIG character like him deserved a funeral scene. Maybe I missed it but...did they ever explain his black hand?? And where was Moody????

Buttmunch
07-19-2009, 10:24 AM
Moody wasn't in the book so he wasn't in the movie. He'll be back for the next one.

And they only briefly mention Dumbledore's hand - the Horcrux ring is what did it. You don't really find that out until book 7, but they really did need to mention it here.

And supposedly Dumbledore's funeral will be the begining of the next film. It was the end of this book though so that is a bit weird. I guess they really did need more material to split Deathy Hallows into two films.

darthjuan007
07-19-2009, 10:30 AM
Didn't one of Ron's brothers get mauled by a werewolf?? In the book anyway.

Entropy
07-19-2009, 10:35 AM
I know Snape is the back up plan to kill Dumbledore, but if they ran into trouble and were needed like they were in the book then they are there to back up Draco/Snape. They just decided to skip the battle in the movie. I am just saying that's WHY they were there.

No one thought that Draco would be able to "defeat" Dumbledore. They never expected Draco to even be able to disarm Dumbledore. That's why they were there. They needed to make sure the deed was done. They needed to make sure that Snape wasn't lying and was choosing to die instead of kill Dumbledore. Also, Dumbledore is a very powerful wizard. I'm sure Dumbledore would have been able to defeat both Snape and Draco if he had pleased. So, they were all also probably there to duel Dumbledore at the same time while Draco killed him.

As Kit said, the student heard the giant explosions from Bella echoing around Hogwarts and, just like in the book, they all went downstairs and found Dumbledore.

Nowhere in the movie do they state this. It's just one of the muddy things Yates and Kloves do with the film's plot.

Buttmunch
07-19-2009, 11:15 AM
Didn't one of Ron's brothers get mauled by a werewolf?? In the book anyway.

Yep. Bill (who gets married in the begining of the next book) got bitten by Fenrir Greyback. That was really one of the main things Greyback did and they completely cut it out of this film. Heck, unless you read they books you wouldn't have known he is a werewolf at all. He was very poorly handled in the film - no lines even!

blue_rogue
07-19-2009, 03:02 PM
Yes but she was pink haired Tonks and there wasn't a lot explained. Her look in this film was very different than her appearance here and looking at her it would be easy to miss.

Tonks in OotP:

http://bloghogwarts.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/tonks.jpg

http://www.urbanstash.com/images/products/d_1851.jpg

Tonks in HBP:
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/harrypotter/images/thumb/3/38/Nyphadora_Tonks_HBP.JPG/250px-Nyphadora_Tonks_HBP.JPG

I hated Tonks' look in OOTP. She looked nothing like I expected the character to look. Her look in HBP is a much better fit for the character.

Anzik
07-19-2009, 05:20 PM
Took my son to see this today.
It was a good representation but the books contain far too much to encapsulate in a film. I felt it was a bit odd that the 'half blood prince' was barely touched on.

azurepred
07-19-2009, 05:37 PM
just saw it today as well.........man theres way too much snoggin in this movie! :lol

Susala
07-19-2009, 06:06 PM
The film was way better than the 5th one, but still a bit disappointing. For my mum (she didn´t read the books) the film was a bit confusing, especially because they haven´t explained some important things. Why was Dumbledore´s hand black? Who´s this ugly hairy Death Eater? Why is this film even called the Half-Blood Prince? ...

And Dumbledore would have deserved a funeral scene! :mad:

But apart from this I liked the film. :)

IronFingaz
07-19-2009, 06:29 PM
I saw it yesterday and i thought it was really good, 8.5/10 :rock Though i was a bit dissapointed by the ending. It needed some action. Also, as has been mentioned, some things went by without explanaition and other things were left out but still, a very good movie. Can't wait to see it again soon. And Slughorn :rock

Nitro
07-19-2009, 06:32 PM
I really liked it. I think it's because I treat the books different from the movies. I look at the movies as a supplement to the books. There's no use in being **** as far as what was left out of the book. The main thing is the entertainment factor which this movie clearly had...

The Mike
07-19-2009, 08:08 PM
I hated Tonks' look in OOTP. She looked nothing like I expected the character to look. Her look in HBP is a much better fit for the character.

You're missing the point. Its not on the look of Tonks but that its a radical departure from the original look in OotP and not even her name was mentioned so the casual fan would miss it. My wife hasn't gotten that far in the books and asked who was with Lupin. Even my sister-in-law who read the books three times over all ready had to lean over to me and ask if that was supposed to be Tonks. It was lazy to not even mention her name.

Why was Dumbledore´s hand black? Who´s this ugly hairy Death Eater? Why is this film even called the Half-Blood Prince? ...
And Dumbledore would have deserved a funeral scene!

It was explained but very quickly. Dumbledore mentions how hard it was to destroy the Horcrux and then looks at his blackened hand and says "Very hard..." That was supposed to clue the audience that the damage was from that just like in the book. The "Hairy" Death Eater was Fenrir Grayback, that part was eluded to in the Alley where you had to pay attention but there was a wanted poster moving like Sirius' in PoA and had his name on it. The audience again was supposed to catch it. As for Dumbledore's funeral the leading thought is since TDH is split into two movies (Will they retitle or go part 1 and 2?) that it will kick off the movie.

Agent0028
07-19-2009, 08:14 PM
I think I'd like a retitle for Deathly Hallows, but only if Rowling comes up with the title.

The Mike
07-19-2009, 08:15 PM
I think movie 8 should still be The Deathy Hallows, but I'd like a Rowling retitle for movie 7 as well.

Buttmunch
07-19-2009, 08:41 PM
I would like a retitle too. Going to see Deathly Hallows Part 1 just sounds like a rip-off to me. How many would have read a book called Lord of the Rings part 1? Or go see the Matrix 2, part 1? A good title is much more important than saying "part x."

The title should be something along the lines of Harry Potter and the search for the Horcruxes or something like that. The horcruxes and the Deathly Hallows were the most important things about the books. I think the horcurxes deserve their 15 minutes of fame.

Entropy
07-19-2009, 09:01 PM
Make 7.1 HP & The Deathly Hallows, 7.2 HP & The Elder Wand

Buttmunch
07-19-2009, 09:44 PM
But the Elder Wand is a Deathly Hallow. It would have been like breaking up Harry Potter and the Half Blood prince into that and Harry Potter and Snape.

pixletwin
07-19-2009, 09:58 PM
It'll be called "Harry Potter Goes Camping" :lol

OSCORP
07-19-2009, 10:58 PM
Probably gonna take the family to see this tomorrow. Appropriate for a 7 year old? (she's tough)

pixletwin
07-19-2009, 10:59 PM
My 7year old loved it.

OSCORP
07-19-2009, 11:00 PM
Yeah i dunno why i even asked she's watched much worse :)

EVILFACE
07-19-2009, 11:13 PM
Not a big Potter fan, but have seen all the movies at the theater. So far this is the weakest one. The FX were good, but a bloated story. Does Harry ever become a wizard that can do anything? The chosen one does nothing but get his butt whipped.

Dementor
07-19-2009, 11:13 PM
Nowhere in the movie do they state this. It's just one of the muddy things Yates and Kloves do with the film's plot.

Well, I guess they figured that most people would just assume that's why they were there...I mean...it is pretty much the only reason...

Buttmunch
07-19-2009, 11:17 PM

I like that one better. :lol I was hoping DH was just going to be 1 film so they could cut out a lot of the camping, but since we are getting 2 films now, your title is perfect for part 1. :D

Darth Caedus
07-20-2009, 10:06 AM

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

Not a big Potter fan, but have seen all the movies at the theater. So far this is the weakest one. The FX were good, but a bloated story. Does Harry ever become a wizard that can do anything? The chosen one does nothing but get his butt whipped.

Well, he's going to get whipped by Snape and Voldemort because they are quite the badasses. I suppose he could beat up Ron every once in a while...

DinoDB1975
07-20-2009, 12:55 PM
Saw it last Friday. It was decent, but The Half-Blood Prince was my favorite of the books (followed by The Deathly Hallows) so I was a little disappointed. It's a moot point now, but I really don't like Dave Yates direction on these last films...really wished they had Alfonso Cuaron finish up the series.

I understand it's hard to fit in all the characters in limited screen time, but there were unneccesary changes. Why did they decide to have Luna find Harry when he was stupified on the train? If I remember correctly, it was Tonks who found Harry.

galactiboy
07-20-2009, 01:21 PM
I think they pretty well decided to omit much of Tonks and Lupin from the series... too bad, but I guess they tried to uncomplicate many scenes.

Shai
07-20-2009, 01:23 PM
Watching harry potter 4 and 5 today for the first time...then ill go see this one.

Darklord Dave
07-20-2009, 02:57 PM
Saw it last Friday. It was decent, but The Half-Blood Prince was my favorite of the books (followed by The Deathly Hallows) so I was a little disappointed. It's a moot point now, but I really don't like Dave Yates direction on these last films...really wished they had Alfonso Cuaron finish up the series.

I understand it's hard to fit in all the characters in limited screen time, but there were unneccesary changes. Why did they decide to have Luna find Harry when he was stupified on the train? If I remember correctly, it was Tonks who found Harry.

I would have liked more Tonks too, but I can see that they want to cut down on the number of characters they have to deal with and this was a good way to get more Luna in. And it was completely in character for her too.

DinoDB1975
07-20-2009, 03:01 PM
I would have liked more Tonks too, but I can see that they want to cut down on the number of characters they have to deal with and this was a good way to get more Luna in. And it was completely in character for her too.

I understand that, and it really was a minor change, but...

I just feel that since she will be one of the casulaties in the Deathly Hallows, the impact of her death may be lessened. Lupin has had a fairly big role, as well as Ron's brother (wow, I can't remember which one dies at the moment), so their deaths will likely resonate more with the audience.

Agent0028
07-20-2009, 03:02 PM
It was Fred.

DinoDB1975
07-20-2009, 03:04 PM
It was Fred.

Thanks, that's who I thought it was.

Darth Caedus
07-20-2009, 04:45 PM
I understand that, and it really was a minor change, but...

I just feel that since she will be one of the casulaties in the Deathly Hallows, the impact of her death may be lessened. Lupin has had a fairly big role, as well as Ron's brother (wow, I can't remember which one dies at the moment), so their deaths will likely resonate more with the audience.

haven't read DH in awhile, but Luna doesn't die in the book....

Agent0028
07-20-2009, 04:59 PM
I'm pretty sure he meant Tonks dying, not Luna. He wantsher to have a bigger role in the movies so when she dies in the end it'll have more impact.

Entropy
07-20-2009, 06:31 PM
But the Elder Wand is a Deathly Hallow. It would have been like breaking up Harry Potter and the Half Blood prince into that and Harry Potter and Snape.

Not really the same thing as nothing happens with Snape after you discover he's THBP. There is a ton more focus, mystery and discovery about the Wand, its maker, location and how it relates to Harry and Voldy's wands than the other 2 Hallows. The first movie can focus on the Horcruxes and discovery of the Hallows. The next can focus on Voldy & The Elder Wand. Plus it's a noun and magical like the other titles, it's a chapter title about halfway through the book and one of the three titles JK considered for the final book, Harry Potter and the Peverell Quest being the other. 'HP & The Elder Wand' sounds better than 'HP & The Hunt for the Horcruxs'. :D

tomandshell
07-20-2009, 06:44 PM
I vote for "Harry Potter and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull."

Agent0028
07-20-2009, 06:55 PM
Since she considered it for a title Harry Potter and the Elder Wand sounds good to me. Although I think it would be even better if she came up with an all new title. I like the peverell quest as well.

Darklord Dave
07-20-2009, 07:12 PM
I like "...the Elder Wand" too. But she could call it "HP and the End of Days" or something.

Entropy
07-20-2009, 07:22 PM
"Harry Potter and The Sappy Epilogue No One Likes" :lol

tomandshell
07-20-2009, 07:36 PM
I'm really nervous about how that epilogue is going to be handled. The Benjamin Button technology worked pretty well on Brad Pitt, but that doesn't mean it's the right choice for a situation like this. If they screw up what is already a deleted-scene-worthy conclusion in the first place, it would be a sad end to an eight film series.

Agent0028
07-20-2009, 07:43 PM
I like the epilogue. But I think its unnecessary for the film. That was just Rowling's way of giving the readers a firm end.

darthviper107
07-20-2009, 07:43 PM
The Benjamin Button technology isn't anything special, it's just a lot of work--which is why they won't do it that way, it's not worth the cost of making a photo-real CG aged version of the actors just for that small part. Most likely they'll use different actors or use makeup.

DinoDB1975
07-20-2009, 07:51 PM
haven't read DH in awhile, but Luna doesn't die in the book....

I'm pretty sure he meant Tonks dying, not Luna. He wantsher to have a bigger role in the movies so when she dies in the end it'll have more impact.

Yes, I was referring to Tonks.

Sachiel
07-20-2009, 08:33 PM
I like the epilogue. But I think its unnecessary for the film. That was just Rowling's way of giving the readers a firm end.

It's called closure.

Agent0028
07-20-2009, 08:43 PM
Yes, but I think it was a little more than that. I think she was effectively saying that Harry went on to get married and have kids and didn't have any other big exciting adventures.

Although I think we'd all be willing to read books about Harry working cases as an auror.

pixletwin
07-20-2009, 09:09 PM
I would like to see the epilogue. :wave

tomandshell
07-20-2009, 09:13 PM
I just don't think the actors are old enough to play characters in their thirties. It's easier to age someone into old age with makeup, but making a 20 year old look like they're in their mid thirties is tough. Replacing them with older actors is out of the question--or at least I hope it is. I just know that the two appearances of a younger Patrick Stewart in X3 and Wolverine were far from convicing for me and were actually quite distracting. I just don't see how they can pull the epilogue off with anything that doesn't feel unnatural and yank you out of the film.

Entropy
07-20-2009, 09:18 PM
They should talk to the casting people from Lost. They have done such a great job of matching up older and younger actors for the same part.

tomandshell
07-20-2009, 09:26 PM
That's true--they have really done a good job, particularly with young Ben.

But with HP8 (or is it 7.2?), I don't think we want the closing moments of the series to be with previously unfamiliar actors. Radcliffe & Co. will have earned the closing shot by then--it's just that they won't be old enough yet. It's a tricky situation...

Beerbelly Bob
07-21-2009, 12:07 AM
The movies are good but for me nothing beats the books.

Entropy
07-21-2009, 12:32 AM
The movies are good but for me nothing beats the books.

The audiobooks beat the books I think. Both the Jim Dale and Stephen Fry versions are fantastic!

Darth Waller
07-21-2009, 04:31 AM
Is this the HBP thread or the DH thread? :lol

With the first part of DH coming out next year, maybe it's time for its own thread.

NASEDO
07-21-2009, 07:25 AM
Just seen the movie. Thought is was the worse in the series. No action, Stupid love scenes, where was Moody, and where the Hell is Voldermort??? Too much of the "kids" goofing around. I guess I got to see it again. The end sucked to. I keep calling Dumbledore gandalf, and couldn't believe they put gollum in the movie.

Buttmunch
07-21-2009, 07:38 AM
Just seen the movie. Thought is was the worse in the series. No action, Stupid love scenes, where was Moody, and where the Hell is Voldermort??? Too much of the "kids" goofing around. I guess I got to see it again. The end sucked to. I keep calling Dumbledore gandalf, and couldn't believe they put gollum in the movie.

Voldemort and Moody both were not in the book. I too thought both of them being absent in the book (and therefore the movie) was always odd. Voldemort is the big huge threat, but decides to take a year off from bugging Harry. He's such a nice villian to let Harry have some personal time before ruining his life even more :lol

DinoDB1975
07-21-2009, 08:44 AM
Yes, as mentioned by others in previous posts, Dumbledore's death was a tad too reminiscient of Gandalf the Grey's fall in Khazadum. And the Inferi were a little too Gollum like; when I read that sequence in the book, I was really looking forward to seeing it on film. The final sequence was okay, but I imagined the Inferi a little more creepier than they turn out in the film.

For me, the Half-Blood Prince was not the worst film in the series, just the worst of the ones where Harry, Ron, and Hermione were entering pre-adulthood.

Shropt
07-21-2009, 11:54 AM
Hey, I have a totally juvenile question.

Did anyone else see the Inferi's wang during the scene when the one was dragging Harry to the bottom? It was right after the Inferi was scared/attacked that was holding Harry.

It could have been a leg, but since this is the summer of wang with Watchmen and Bruno I just figured Potter wanted to join in.

pixletwin
07-21-2009, 11:56 AM
That's true--they have really done a good job, particularly with young Ben.

But with HP8 (or is it 7.2?), I don't think we want the closing moments of the series to be with previously unfamiliar actors. Radcliffe & Co. will have earned the closing shot by then--it's just that they won't be old enough yet. It's a tricky situation...

I am sure there are ways around it. I guess we'll find out in 3 years. :lol

galactiboy
07-21-2009, 11:59 AM

Did anyone else see the Inferi's wang during the scene when the one was dragging Harry to the bottom? It was right after the Inferi was scared/attacked that was holding Harry.

It could have been a leg, but since this is the summer of wang with Watchmen and Bruno I just figured Potter wanted to join in.

I didn't notice an wangage... but I'm sure its possible. But even more likely if there is a hint of wang parental groups will soon be up in arms over it. "Not only are the promoting the occult, but pornography as well!!!"

dunedain
07-21-2009, 12:00 PM
I am sure there are ways around it. I guess we'll find out in 3 years. :lol

They did a great job aging Brad Pitt for Benjamin Button so I'm sure they can do it with the kids.

Jen
07-21-2009, 12:01 PM
I didn't notice any wang......I'll have to look closer next time. :lol

pixletwin
07-21-2009, 12:04 PM
They did a great job aging Brad Pitt for Benjamin Button so I'm sure they can do it with the kids.

The stuff they did to make him look younger was stunning.

Sachiel
07-21-2009, 01:32 PM

I think that was it's wand.

Eli26
07-21-2009, 01:49 PM

The movie was horrible. Read my review. Pretty much is on the same page with you.

HORRIBLE! Absolutely horrible!

Agent0028
07-21-2009, 03:31 PM
I didn't notice an wangage... but I'm sure its possible. But even more likely if there is a hint of wang parental groups will soon be up in arms over it. "Not only are the promoting the occult, but pornography as well!!!"

And don't forget its promoting homosexuality since Dumbledore is gay. :rolleyes:

I think that was it's wand.

First time I read the post I actually thought it read wand. Then I was confused, until I re-read it. :lol

Darklord Dave
07-21-2009, 04:58 PM
I'm really nervous about how that epilogue is going to be handled. The Benjamin Button technology worked pretty well on Brad Pitt, but that doesn't mean it's the right choice for a situation like this. If they screw up what is already a deleted-scene-worthy conclusion in the first place, it would be a sad end to an eight film series.

I really don't think you need the epilogue. I agree that it wouldn't work with older actors and for that reason they'll just leave it out.

Giant Chicken
07-22-2009, 02:40 AM
Ugh... I hope you are right Dave! I have no desire to see that aweful epilouge on screen.

Also, sidenote! I have been thinking about the Ghosts and paintings of Hogwarts. I know that they had Ghosts in 1 and 2 and paintings in 1-3 but were there ghosts and paintings in the other films? I know that there were ZERO ghosts or paintings in the newest film. And was Trelawny in the 6th book? I cant remember.

Chapter 2099
07-26-2009, 01:09 AM
I finally just saw the latest installment today and it did not disappoint IMO. I can't wait the next! (I have NOT read any of the books in the series, and now I'm really tempted to start.) I'm really impressed with what I've seen on screen, so I'm sure the books (of which the movies were based) will not disappoint either.

OSCORP
07-27-2009, 03:29 AM
7.5 outta 10.

( casual fan of the movies never read the books)

-jay-
07-27-2009, 06:23 AM
7.5 outta 10.

( casual fan of the movies never read the books)

Seems like the people that haven't read the books like it more than the ones that have read them? i've never read any of the books and have enjoyed all the potter films so far so hopefully it'll be the same with this.

IronFingaz
07-27-2009, 06:38 AM
Seeing it again this Friday :banana

Agent0028
07-27-2009, 08:21 AM
I think the ones who haven't read the books always like them more than those who have. They don't know what they are missing. :read

TwoFace
07-27-2009, 10:53 AM
Snape killed dumbley door! :O

Beerbelly Bob
07-30-2009, 12:26 AM
I just saw this movie and I thought they did a real good job. Of course nothing beats the books in my opinion, but that would be very hard to do. I've been getting my nieces and nephews into Harry Potter and now they can't put the books down. Also the person I'm with is a big Harry Potter collector. She has all the Noble Collection wands and chess set; all the Tonner Harry Potter figures and is also planning on getting the Gentle Giant PF's. Even my mom likes the Harry Potter movies.

Agent0028
07-30-2009, 08:07 AM
That's the great thing about Harry Potter, fun for everyone.

MooMooEgg
07-30-2009, 08:12 AM
Snape killed dumbley door! :O

GREYSTASH!!! No one should outlive their fictional wizard...

Hahaha... even though that episode of the Simpsons was pretty meh, I couldnt help but recall it during the movie. :lol

KitFisto
08-02-2009, 06:02 AM
The movie was horrible. Read my review. Pretty much is on the same page with you.

HORRIBLE! Absolutely horrible!

Wow, you're wrong again. What a shock.

Agent0028
08-02-2009, 07:10 AM
I'm going to go see it at IMAX sometime this week. I read that the first 12 minutes are in 3D. I'm excited to see what that's like, I've never seen a movie with 3D except theme park 3D attractions.

agen_kolar
08-02-2009, 11:16 PM
Yep. Bill (who gets married in the begining of the next book) got bitten by Fenrir Greyback. That was really one of the main things Greyback did and they completely cut it out of this film. Heck, unless you read they books you wouldn't have known he is a werewolf at all. He was very poorly handled in the film - no lines even!

I think he did get one line, although he was offscreen when he spoke it. It was while Harry was hiding beneath the Astronomy Tower's main floor, watching Draco, Bellatrix, and company talk with Dumbledore. I believe he said something like "He doesn't have it in him, just like his father. Here, let me finish him in my own way."

Anyway, I really liked the film, despite the blatant lack of Voldemort and action. I thought the story was well done, the visuals were amazing, and the character development (specifically Harry/Ginny and Ron/Hermoine) was decent to say the least.

I enjoyed the introduction of Narcissa Malfoy, I just wish she was a bit more frantic to the point of being annoying, like in the book. However, she turned out to be one of my favorite characters with what she does in the last book.

Jim Broadbent as Horace Slughorn was a surprisingly funny addition to the cast, and I'm glad characters like Snape and McGonagall seemed to pull more weight in this film than the previous installments.

IronFingaz
08-03-2009, 04:38 AM
Saw it a second time this past weekend and i thought it was a little better the second time. But there's something i can't remember. Was it in HBP or TDH that Connelius Fudge was replaced?

Agent0028
08-03-2009, 07:47 AM
It was in HBP.

galactiboy
08-03-2009, 08:05 AM
Yep, HBP starts with the exchange between Fudge and the Prime Minister, at that point they reveal he's been replaced.

DinoDB1975
08-03-2009, 09:14 AM
I think he did get one line, although he was offscreen when he spoke it. It was while Harry was hiding beneath the Astronomy Tower's main floor, watching Draco, Bellatrix, and company talk with Dumbledore. I believe he said something like "He doesn't have it in him, just like his father. Here, let me finish him in my own way."

Anyway, I really liked the film, despite the blatant lack of Voldemort and action. I thought the story was well done, the visuals were amazing, and the character development (specifically Harry/Ginny and Ron/Hermoine) was decent to say the least.

I enjoyed the introduction of Narcissa Malfoy, I just wish she was a bit more frantic to the point of being annoying, like in the book. However, she turned out to be one of my favorite characters with what she does in the last book.

Jim Broadbent as Horace Slughorn was a surprisingly funny addition to the cast, and I'm glad characters like Snape and McGonagall seemed to pull more weight in this film than the previous installments.

I thought the opposite. I felt that there wasn't enough Snape; after all, he is the titular Half-Blood Prince. I realize he was featured prominently at the end and the Unbreakable Vow sequence, but he should have been in it more. It's been a few years since I read HBP, so I may be wrong, but isn't there a few sequences in the book where Snape (as the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher) teaches Harry how to block spells/curses? I seem to remember that figures prominently in the end too as Snape is blocking the various curses that Harry is casting against him...

OSCORP
08-03-2009, 03:52 PM
I thought this movie lacked a sense of wonder like the others.

still 7.5 outta 10

agen_kolar
08-03-2009, 05:14 PM
I wish Sideshow could make Harry Potter characters in 1:6 scale. I'd buy a few, just of characters I like.

Agent0028
08-03-2009, 05:24 PM
If Sideshow ever does HP, I'll be very torn about what version to get.